Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress- full graphics release (updated 4 III)

Mayday

Augur
Haha, yes, I simply cannot add anymore- the game is constrained to 255 characters (except for living creatures, of course) and one cannot change the symbol for 95% of the things in the game.

Also, holy crap, the great Derek Yu himself has mentioned this collection on TIGsource!

Morningkill

Novice
I just wanted to say thank you.

i've been very interested in DF, but did not feel that I could handle the ascii

(even if i used to play various nethacks clones). I just fear the eyestrain.

LaFey

Novice
Thanks for your work!

It surely makes the laborious task of negotiating DF's steep learning curve rather more pleasing :D

saharo

Novice
Many thanks for DFG, really a big a breath of fresh air for my will to play this game.
I have a little suggestion about the tiles, it's about the water.
I think that the ASCII version is very helpful, while using the same tile for the water, depth-independent, force the player to check tile by tile the depth of the water when he wishes to.
Since what you said, I imagine there is no chance of drawing 10 different water tiles, everyone with a different number drawn in a corner or something like this. If I could chose between the tile and the numbers, I would chose the numbers.

p.s. I'm not a skilled programmer, but to build something like a simple interpreter for the graphic is not possible? Something that wraps the DF output and renders it in a different way, without having to mess with the code. I can't imagine how much would it impact on the performance, but it would give total freedom to modders.
p.p.s. maybe the p.s. could sound inappropriate, but I only meant to ask.

Mayday

Augur
You can enable the display of water as numbers in the ini file. That's all to be done about it now.

As for the PS, DF can currently be a strain even for the most powerful PCs. Interpreting a symbolic display into a graphical one by analysing the image would increase the CPU load substantially, to the point of being unplayable. I'm afraid you'll have to wait until Toady un-hardcodes the interface.

saharo

Novice
Then we'll wait. In the end we (at least me) have plenty of time to enjoy the game as it is at this stage.

Many thanks for the tip and for the fast answer!

saharo

Novice
under linux, using wine, it's seems like it doesn't load the .png tileset but just the .bpm one.
Is there a reason to have the art/square_16x16 file being in two different format and with different drawing?

Mayday

Augur
Yeah... the bmp shouldn't really be used- it's supposed to "just be there" but it has to have the same name as the png- which is used because it allows alpha blending.
Maybe the dll isn't loaded properly?

saharo

Novice
I suppose so, wine maybe doesn't wrap something correctly.
I'll try to fix that.

Thanks for the answer.

Mayday

Augur
So I thought I'd bump this thread and let you know that this thing is still being updated and gaining popularity! :O

And there is a new version today (some people asked).

Fez

Erudite
Good that you are keeping everyone updated. Should help those afraid of ASCII or those who's memory isn't quite up to the task of telling the difference between and remembering what one colored symbol means compared to the other.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Heh, I just got back into playing this, maybe I'll try out the graphics version. Currently attempting to build a layer of glass to cover the sky for the entire area my fort is in, and a layer just below it for all the legendary dwarves to live upon, hundreds of feet above the meager peasant folk, who'll probably end up operating some sort of massive water pump to create a waterfall from the sky. So far I've gotten a sizeable stable fortress that can't be assaulted and a tower 3/4 of the way to the top of the map. (I was quite disappointed to see the dragon die on the first weapon trap of 6. I need to find a way to allow it to be captured and tamed.) Coolest achievement so far: A trap made out of an artifact bow and an artifact mechanism. I'm hoping it ends up firing an arrow through every body part of a space carp or something eventually.

cardtrick

Arbiter
I've been planning to use this tileset if I ever give DF another try, but I just checked out your website for the first time. Damn! You're a talented guy. Your goblin is totally awesome -- I'd love to play a modern Wizardry/M&M clone with that kind of art style.

EDIT: Spent a while clicking your AdSense links. Hopefully you get some pennies.

Yaddy1

Novice
what do you mean? If you mean steam engine i don't have steam engine. steam engine isnt even for mac.

DoppelG

Scholar
gamefan said:
This is a shit. All craftshitship is of the shittiest quality. It is studded with shit, decorated with shit and encircled with shit, shit and shit. This shit is adorned with hanging rings of shit and menaces with spikes of shit. On the shit is an image of a shit in shit. On the shit is a shit and a shit in shit, the shit is raising the shit.

fixed it for you.

(i use Maydays tileset btw)

Caveman

Scholar
I made my own mod / compilation:

dwarffbn3.jpg

dwarfsex8.jpg

DoppelG

Scholar
MaskedMartyr said:
Somebody mind telling mayday theres a new version out?

I just past/copiededed the art work and textfile, works well enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom