Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Siege - How the hell was this ever popular?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Dungeon Siege 3 - worst Dungeon Siege game and worst Obsidian game. Too arcade to be a proper rpg and too boring for arpg.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I still love Dungeon Siege III. Obsidians most polished and underrated game.

Edit: Disclaimer: I only really played it in couch co-op. The online does suck. Mainly because its comletly underdeveloped.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe - why so many provocational posts lately? Are you trying to stir the pot?
I've been tasked by the Codex's Shadow Masters to generate butthurt and pageviews so that the New World Order may get enough ad moni to pay for Cleve's sex change operation & subsequent release of Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Eh another reason for strange popularity, games environments were fucking tasty, from deserts to mountainous tundra. Kinda like Sacred in that respect, background gid impression that you were travellin, an o course I forgot about the donkey which helped wi that too. An it were a great feature.

Oh an some o big creatures like spiders an the Dragon were fuckin huge, which make nice change.

Lhynn

Arcane
Oh god, fucking sacred. that game broke my heart. it had a good intro tho.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had a lot of fun as a kid when playing this game, in fact, I think I beat it like 2 or 3 times. I couldn't beat the multiplayer campaign though, since well, I couldn't do it in one sitting, it was also harder because you had lower stats than in SP. To be honest, I liked DS 1 a lot more than DS 2, but I think this was mainly because what I was expecting DS 2 to have, it didn't (like, the trailer/teaser was nothing like the game and that made me sad when I actually played it, but I was only like 10 or 11 at the time). But the music of DS 1 was pretty outstanding.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
i've played alot of bad games and alot of games i just didn't like so w.e reason but dungeon siege was one of the only games where 14 year old me literally felt like i was wasting my life playing that game, something to do with the entire game literally being on rails and the combat system being pretty much fully automated

i remember exactly where i quit, i had just finished 2 back to back dungeons, one was some type of ice dungeon followed right away by a linear cave dungeon and i had gotten to some swamps so i was prolly like just under halfway through the game and it was like i had an epiphany to stop playing, uninstall and go play basketball instead

never played either sequel, game took 10ish hours of my life and i wasn't about to let it take more :p

Lord Romulus

Arcane
It was shallow, but I admittedly had fun with the first two when I was a kid. I liked tediously managing the inventories of 8(?) different characters, and some of the goblin weapons like the grenade launchers and flamethrowers were fun to use. If I had played it today, I probably wouldn't have finished it, but it was some good mindless fun when I was younger.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Corridor walking simulator with good graphix and OCD tickler = the recipe to success.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In my country (Romania), I've seen some positive reviews in the gaming magazines that I was reading as a kid. The world without loading screens was one of the reasons it received positive reviews. Since I didn't had an internet connection at the time, I had to buy a copy of a game from some dude who was the equivalent of the "torrent system".

Game seemed interesting at the beginning, but after playing some more, it became evident that the game was just a long road between "cities" where nothing interesting happens. I finished the game since I didn't had many games to play, but it was bland.

The second game was better in every aspect and I remember that I liked the skill system. The thing that I liked the most about the second was the way you could grow the animals that you carried with you by feeding them items. That was great!

The third game was strange. It was more like a console game and a downgrade from DS 2. It was boring.

Last edited:

Shin

Cipher
It was ever popular? I remembered it coming out and even pirating it. Didn't kept me interested for more than an hour, which was strange since I always liked the Diablo series. Never bothered to check out the sequels. Also I don't consider Diablo-type games to be part of the 'real' rpg family; pretty much just like action RPG's. (they would've had to include RtwP for that :p)

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Corridor walking simulator with good graphix and OCD tickler = the recipe to success.

It's true - I confused enjoyment with addiction and thought it was the sort of game for me. I bought Silverfall as a result and didn't realise that something was amiss until I ended up being bored senseless by three similar games in a row. At least, that's the speech I've been planning for when I join ARPGs Anonymous.

Thinking back I have vague memories of it being quite popular at the time, with it's seamless world and graphics design and stuff. I think it was published by Microsoft, which put me off initially, but I succumbed to hype eventually. It did spawn two sequels, after all.

Krivol

Magister
This was a playing simulator, because game was plaing itself. Probably without a party and auto-attack, auto-use spells, auto-pick up everything, auto-transmute all in gold, auto-mule will take care of inventory management for you it would be OK-ish game. I was bored to death with it.

Axe Father

Savant
I recall playing the demo near the end of 2002 with a pair of friends. It had a slice of the open world multiplayer in it, and we had quite a bit of fun. It's surprising because I've never been big on the whole Diablo "click on enemies and occasionally quaff a potion" style gameplay.

It convinced me to buy it if I ever got around to it, but Arx Fatalis had just come out and I still wanted to get Icewind Dale 2, so I eventually forgot all about it.
Being able to fuck about with your friends and have a laugh can disguise the bad in some games, I guess.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It was kinda OK for its time, like some mentioned it was diablo-lite with group. Also had good amount of "secret" stuff and nice area transtation "mechanics". Simple &fun.
Second game was way better except graphics/FX part, those fire spell effects were hilarously bad even for those days.

Although it was not anything ground breaking. M$ corruption shows itself with that reviews.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
DS was a very boring game with a very nice engine.

DS II was surprisingly cool, apart from the disappointing character development. In fact I'd say it was the most fun hns I ever played, though that's not saying much.

Class system from Titan Quest + everything else from DS II could make a h'n's game worthy of a place in my top 100 games ever list.

likaq

Arcane
It is worth mentioning that DS have very good camera control.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom