Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 Play By Email - Game Complete!

KoolNoodles

Arcane
That scout, yeah. I was trying something with Black Hearts(gives assassination trait to stealthy commanders) in the very beginning of the game(so like 50 turns ago) and he's been flying around elsewhere. The gear was excess lying around(and blood slaves are practically free), and with a Heat Finder sword there's a very good chance he kills a commander that doesn't have bodyguards. Either way, he did disease your guy. ;)

You definitely have the upper hand on me in battle, Ragha does not seem to line up very well with Atlantis(though Atlantis is just great once they get going, everyone has a magical weapon and heavy armor it seems!). Still have some things to try, as it's certainly new territory for me.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Either way, he did disease your guy. ;)

Sigh. He did. Does Twiceborn work on deaths by disease, by the way? Never tried.

You definitely have the upper hand on me in battle, Ragha does not seem to line up very well with Atlantis(though Atlantis is just great once they get going, everyone has a magical weapon and heavy armor it seems!). Still have some things to try, as it's certainly new territory for me.

They're simply the Mastah Race of Late Era Dominions. Point them in the right direction, give them support and they eat everything up to SCs. Thugs, Mistform, Ethereal, Regen, Fire Arrows... the only thing that put up a serious dent on them was the Caelian Air Spam Death Squad. They come at 37/39 resources each, though.

My only gripe is that I did not plan to *survive* until the Late Game and I lack any way of getting SCs chassis other than Golems: they're quite effective, but I cannot spam them as you do with Elemental Royalty or Ice Devils/Archdevils. It is telling that you staled several turns and you still have the upper hand against two players that have roughly 90 provinces. If you didn't, probably you would have already won or something.

Still, I am waiting for BoT or Utterdark. Lemuria has in 10 provinces more troops than all of us combined, goshdammit!

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You guys know whats more strange? I'm playing MA Pangaea at turn 80 or so and I'm getting more blood slaves than he is. I mean that income is ridiculously small at that point.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
You guys know whats more strange? I'm playing MA Pangaea at turn 80 or so and I'm getting more blood slaves than he is. I mean that income is ridiculously small at that point.

Yep, my blood economy has suffered due to wars and lack of good cheap patrollers(hard to justify keeping 150 troops back from the front) + turmoil scales(and half the provinces in my North-Western empire are near death because of earlier conflict with Lemuria). It's enough to keep it going, but I have not been investing heavily in it.

Dayyālu

Arcane

You should read that in context. Ragha is now fighting a war against the two surviving players allied ( Score Tables: 45 provinces Atlantis, 43 Abysia, 37 Ragha). And the only advantage he had was a superior Gem Income, a somehow working blood economy, and far better starting troops at the beginning of the conflict.

It is a testament to his skill that he survived so long, even often winning locally, with good chances of still coming out on top.
But I have the impression that this game was highly unusual for Dom4 matches...

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I also tried healing one of my Ice Devils after empowering him with blood magic(he drowned and then was resurrected without an arm). The spell is called "Blood Feast", and sometimes has unintended side effects......

dgZSu7w.jpg

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I like how stellar focus description makes fun of the global a bit. But yes, Maelstrom is really good gem gen assuming you like water/pearls. For D/E its not very good obviously.

Mraston

Learned
Did any one else stale? I did and I assume it's something to do with the server upgrade.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I distinctly remember to have played turn 83.

So, why now we are back to turn 83 again? I have the .trn file for turn 84 and the llamaserver is not accepting the "proper turn". Even worse, it seems that turn 84 as I have it never existed.

What the hell happened? If that's the case, I need to request a 24 hour extension as I wasted my allotted Dominions time in preparing a turn that's quite useless.

EDIT: llamabeast replied and I discovered that we lost the last turn and we have to simply replay it. Well, happens. Good, as Abysia will not have to worry about staling :).

Still asking for an extension, though.

Last edited:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Good idea on the extension as I'm in the same boat regarding "Dominions time used up" (and I'm horrible about getting my turns in as it is!).

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Wanted to post a picture of one of my "Thugs", as Dominions players like to call them. Basically it's just a single leader who has the gear/skills/spell casting abilities to take on small armies by him/herself. I think he technically doesn't have enough Hit points to be a "Super Combatant", aka improved Thug, but that line is not really solid. Pretty sure Atlantis and Abysia have both seen this guy, so it's not a big deal. We're so far into the game that I might post more things like this for fun, as "winning" has kind of lost its allure(and is quite hard with our throne setup).

So far he has 133 individual unit kills. Didn't point out everything.

MfbuUTC.jpg

Johannes

Arcane
That's a lot of gear on one dude. While he's still glaringly lacking shock resistance, and being undead is vulnerable to Dust to Dust. Otoh a strong point of being a Vampire is the immortality, ie you aren't afraid of dying. Having him with just the Golden Shield, and casting Soul Vortex + Skeletal Body, would handle a lot of the same enemies while being dramatically cheaper. And an antimagic amulet if you expect Enslave/Charm spells.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Wanted to post a picture of one of my "Thugs", as Dominions players like to call them. Basically it's just a single leader who has the gear/skills/spell casting abilities to take on small armies by him/herself. I think he technically doesn't have enough Hit points to be a "Super Combatant", aka improved Thug, but that line is not really solid. Pretty sure Atlantis and Abysia have both seen this guy, so it's not a big deal. We're so far into the game that I might post more things like this for fun, as "winning" has kind of lost its allure(and is quite hard with our throne setup).

So far he has 133 individual unit kills. Didn't point out everything.

MfbuUTC.jpg

Say, why wear the belt? AoE effects of brand weapons don't benefit from high strength. And you don't need reinvigor at all (he doesn't cast magic and has Enc 0).

Just give him regen ring or imp contract. I would also give him another chest armor, but that one good enough too.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Yeah, that particular guy is geared out a bit much, but I have a lot lying around so I was messing with some builds. He usually casts Soul Vortex and Skeletal and spams undead for a bit before attacking(because why not?). The belt is cheap and to help with that, though it's not strictly necessary. AM amulet is for Control the Dead and other control spells, and Paralyze, which both Abysia/Atlantis have access to. Could maybe tweak that.

Just the shield + spells would be decent against chaff, but sometimes I want to kill them a bit faster, or be capable against tougher enemies. Just SV and basic attack has taken quite some time against tougher Atlantis/Abysia infantry. My armies aren't lasting long in battle these days. I've got a couple others roaming around with different builds.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Yeah, that particular guy is geared out a bit much, but I have a lot lying around so I was messing with some builds. He usually casts Soul Vortex and Skeletal and spams undead for a bit before attacking(because why not?). The belt is cheap and to help with that, though it's not strictly necessary. AM amulet is for Control the Dead and other control spells, and Paralyze, which both Abysia/Atlantis have access to. Could maybe tweak that.

Just the shield + spells would be decent against chaff, but sometimes I want to kill them a bit faster, or be capable against tougher enemies. Just SV and basic attack has taken quite some time against tougher Atlantis/Abysia infantry. My armies aren't lasting long in battle these days. I've got a couple others roaming around with different builds.

Watch out for Call of the Winds, tho. Immortal thugs should travel in packs with other commanders, or they might get in trouble when CotW to hostile dominion.

Edit: I mean, Wind Ride, of course. Sorry, I'm old and senile.

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No vine shield, no rainbow armor and is undead with 27hp and 21 mr. I assume your enemies dont have D mages because even if he dies in your dominion all that gear lost would hurt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom