Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Dominions 4 Codex Noober PBEM

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Norfleet, different scales generate different events. There are specific positive and negative events for Magic and Drain, some are nation-specific; the same is true for any other scale. Quests (the red book that hoverdog posted earlier) also have some scale prerequisites in order to spawn.

Some stuff isn't obvious, neither it is explained anywhere in the manual. E.g., there is a HUGE difference between Misfortune 1 and Misfortune 2 scale. Misfortune 1 NEVER generates "neutral attacking" events, so you'll be fine with PD 1 in most cases. While Misf 2 can spam barbs and other nasties that are able to eliminate even PD 20 sometimes. Misf 3 can generate devastating shit, especially combined with Death 3 or extreme temperature scales. There is a limit of 6 random events per turn, but still.

Positive Luck generate unique gem/gold/population/dominion and all kinds of other events on a constant basis. Turm3/Luck3 is very powerful stuff. Besides, positive luck almost guarantees obtaining national hero(es) during first year of the game, while Misfortune delays that shit greatly.

Edit: Here is a nice example of Misf2 event.
web.png

That shit can easily pwn PD 30-40. Some players get it during first turns on their capitals, which is basically game over.

So, what was about shitty Luck scale?:lol:

Edit 2: Don't worry, Vanheim. Petty krakens won't stop me from dating with you.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Oh, that's a significant change, then. If you can no longer be boostafazooed by random spawns without Misfortune-2 or more, that makes a huge difference. In Dom2, it really didn't matter what you picked, that was gonna happen anyway. The events-triggered-by-other-scales thing was there, too.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
And Vanheim doesn't seem to know how to use PD. I kid you not: he hires units every turn in every province, but doesn't hire PD at all (not even PD 1).
No offence meant, underwater trannies still love them gay vikings! :codexisfor:

WTF is a PD and how do I rape it?

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Province defence, click the Defence button on the top banner with the province details. If your province's empty from any units and with PD at 0 a single spy can take it, like I tried to do the turn before.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
If your province's empty from any units and with PD at 0 a single spy can take it

What I like about Vanheim, he doesn't leave his provinces empty. He hires local units everywhere, every single turn. MORE SO, it seems like he leaves some small squads of serfs/huskarls from his expansion army:lol: If he didn't, my trannie sirens would take everything over a long time ago. Now he knows PD kung-fu. Sigh.

Also, his pretenderess is currently at Godcoast (province 28). Let's kill it with fire and water next turn?

I know you have an assassin there:troll:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Berekan beat me to it.Well, I did the screens and the write up, don't want to waste them.... I'll let speak one of my best pals in Dominions.

PD_zpsa24bc3e2.jpg

BK_zps88cfcb4c.jpg
Welcome. I'm Shaugnaar Faug, and I will take a pause from crushing scores of Fomorian Kings SCs in another universe to explain how PD works. See, PD is that little thing you buy from the Defence table up there. It represents the amount of Province Defense native to any province you own, and serves a lot of useful duties, like repelling small attacks (Call of the Winds and Call of the Wilds) avoiding scouts and spies takeovers, doing a minimum of patrolling (as you can see in the table, PD forces superior to 10 give you an unrest reduction of 1 that gets better the more you invest in it, and gives also a passive stealth unit detection, though it's quite weak). PD works as in the battlefield as a big block of troops that throws itself against anything that attacks the province: best thing, it's self regenerating without extra costs. Your PD commander alone repels a raid after his men got butchered? The next turn they all get back without extra costs. To "balance" this, PD costs are incremental, 1 PD costs 1 gold, 2 PD 3, and i think 10 PD costs around 55 gold. You can see how after a while it is no longer economical, but 1 PD is always good to avoid scout takeovers and to get some info on the forces your enemies send to recapture provinces you raided.

Then, how to rape PD. PD dies easily, as it cannot be scripted and will charge against everything. Thugs (if you know what a Thug is, if not ask the resident Bogarussian/Oceanian hybrid Grimwulf) are often built to destroy 10-20 PD and small patrols, and even a standard raiding party of 20-30 troops can often easily deal with PD. Evocations work also well.

Last thing, PD is province-dependant: so you will get for the first 20 levels indipendents troops defending your provinces, and your national troops only for forts and PD level 20+. That can be in some cases good (Heavy cavalry) or terrible (Cavemen, tribal warriors) depending on the province.

EDIT: Hell, you let a UW nation in (even if kinda bad like Oceania)? He can troll and annoy you to death and you have little chance of retaliating. Attacking UW nations in their turf is hell if they know what they are doing. Remember, all Water Breathing items give you Poor Amphibian, and so landlubbers are greatly weakened in fighting UW. Without hating him or anything, it is best that you organize a way to scour him from the earth before he gets too annoying. 1/4 of Dominions time should be Diplo, after all.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
EDIT: Hell, you let a UW nation in (even if kinda bad like Oceania)? He can troll and annoy you to death and you have little chance of retaliating. Attacking UW nations in their turf is hell if they know what they are doing. Remember, all Water Breathing items give you Poor Amphibian, and so landlubbers are greatly weakened in fighting UW. Without hating him or anything, it is best that you organize a way to scour him from the earth before he gets too annoying. 1/4 of Dominions time should be Diplo, after all.

huh
6ELFTAL.png

:troll:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

huh
6ELFTAL.png

:troll:

Do it, Agartha :troll: Come at me, bro, I double dare you!

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Berekan beat me to it.Well, I did the screens and the write up, don't want to waste them.... I'll let speak one of my best pals in Dominions.

PD_zpsa24bc3e2.jpg

BK_zps88cfcb4c.jpg
Welcome. I'm Shaugnaar Faug, and I will take a pause from crushing scores of Fomorian Kings SCs in another universe to explain how PD works. See, PD is that little thing you buy from the Defence table up there. It represents the amount of Province Defense native to any province you own, and serves a lot of useful duties, like repelling small attacks (Call of the Winds and Call of the Wilds) avoiding scouts and spies takeovers, doing a minimum of patrolling (as you can see in the table, PD forces superior to 10 give you an unrest reduction of 1 that gets better the more you invest in it, and gives also a passive stealth unit detection, though it's quite weak). PD works as in the battlefield as a big block of troops that throws itself against anything that attacks the province: best thing, it's self regenerating without extra costs. Your PD commander alone repels a raid after his men got butchered? The next turn they all get back without extra costs. To "balance" this, PD costs are incremental, 1 PD costs 1 gold, 2 PD 3, and i think 10 PD costs around 55 gold. You can see how after a while it is no longer economical, but 1 PD is always good to avoid scout takeovers and to get some info on the forces your enemies send to recapture provinces you raided.

Then, how to rape PD. PD dies easily, as it cannot be scripted and will charge against everything. Thugs (if you know what a Thug is, if not ask the resident Bogarussian/Oceanian hybrid Grimwulf) are often built to destroy 10-20 PD and small patrols, and even a standard raiding party of 20-30 troops can often easily deal with PD. Evocations work also well.

Last thing, PD is province-dependant: so you will get for the first 20 levels indipendents troops defending your provinces, and your national troops only for forts and PD level 20+. That can be in some cases good (Heavy cavalry) or terrible (Cavemen, tribal warriors) depending on the province.

Thanks for the info much appreciated, I guess I have to finish the manual one of these days....

Now onto another noob question.
HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU RESEARCH SO MUCH MORE THAN ME!!)#@!#$
I have like a fuckton of dudes doing research and I'm still last. I guess I'm not doing something properly...

Johannes

Arcane
Edit: Here is a nice example of Misf2 event.
web.png

That shit can easily pwn PD 30-40. Some players get it during first turns on their capitals, which is basically game over.
No, those have no chance of winning over 30 PD, let alone easily. And you can't get invasions on your capital during the first year, ever.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Now onto another noob question.
HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU RESEARCH SO MUCH MORE THAN ME!!)#@!#$
I have like a fuckton of dudes doing research and I'm still last. I guess I'm not doing something properly...

It depends. What do you mean with a "bunch of guys"? 60? 80? That's a bunch of guys.

Research in Dominions, a primer from a True Noob

Mages research in dominions. Spells and rituals win games. To research properly, you need gold and territory. Hitler shaped a battered Germany into an economic superpow..WAIT WHAt
Back on track.
Good researchers are cheap researchers. Identify a good cheap low level mage, sacred is better has it has lower upkeep, and spam it on all the forts you can, bar those where you need a good battlemage. Build lot of forts to recruit lots of researchers. Low-level mages are named "Research Monkeys", for example the LA Atlantis Tungalik is an excellent research monkey, sacred, 10 or so RP per turn (check the amount of RP you are getting, some indies and mages have "inept researchers").

At the beginning, research Pretenders can make a difference, but don't worry they can be overtaken in time with stock researchers. Last thing are research items: Lightless Lantern, Owl Quill, Skull of whatever, they all give good bosts in research and are options to increase your rate. Do well, my son.

If only Attack was not shit on Pale Ones. Be careful.

Johannes

Arcane
Ok, some attacks can happen then. But at the toughest ones, those which actually could take down a capitals PD like vampires, have a trigger set so they don't spawn on capitals before turn X (not sure of the exact date), or at all.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Ok, some attacks can happen then. But at the toughest ones, those which actually could take down a capitals PD like vampires, have a trigger set so they don't spawn on capitals before turn X (not sure of the exact date), or at all.

I witnessed at least one time when dude in pbem lost a party to first year neutral attack. But considering my sclerosis, it could be a Throne of Gaia attack (can't remember shit).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I thought we were friends :(
With tranies?

Well, some folks are thinking they are friends when they don't throw armies at you, and they are merely sending assassins. Some of them even might be bit disappointed with words "and you didn't want?" "I thought it was for your entertainment, such weak assassin."

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Nobody wants to post updates. Oh, well.

1. Agarhta's Expansion - how do we control it?
web.jpg

2. Financial crisis in Vanheim - "gay economy" proved to be innefective!

web.jpg

3. Ulm doesn't use halberds? Being Agartha's neighbor?

web.jpg

Let's see his comment on this:
"Real men do not need PD", - he told our interviewer. It's not what we were asking, but okay.

4. Horny Thruster died this month, defending our coast against gay viking invaders.

web.jpg

The nation mourns. We shall never forget him.
%CE%86%CE%BD%CF%84%CF%81%CE%B1%CF%82-%CE%91%CE%B9%CE%B3%CF%8C%CE%BA%CE%B5%CF%81%CF%89%CF%82-300x233.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom