Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity or Eternity?

Which is better?

• Total voters

DraQ

Arcane
While you got a point with the rather lackluster earlygame content of D2 and DOS, I think the Larian Late-/enggame stuff is infinite times worse. Remember exploring the Orobas Fjord, having a great time wondering how many more of those awesome big areas are to discover? Then the game slaps the fucking same flying fortress in your face 3 times, presents you the worst plot twist of gaming history and says "the end?"
How I fucking envy you if that's the worst twist you've ever experienced in games.

As for the flying fortresses they weren't half as bad as most people think.
The problem with them was that they were monotonous, combat only zones and that dragon combat lacked interesting challenges and enemy diversity.
OTOH they were quite atmospheric and they were just combat zones, there was nothing actively horrible about them. I've seen a lot of games and in game areas that literally made me recoil, flying fortresses did no such thing.

After cyseal the game feels soo uninspired...
The problem with DOS is that it seems uninspired in general, which is a damn shame because there are tons of stuff in game that's just sheer brilliance and the game, as it is, can still glue you to the KB.
I can only imagine what would happen if the rest was as imaginative as in Divinity 2 or, better yet, if Larian actually made a solid setting and ironed out their crappy levelling and colored item oversaturation by flattening character progression and focusing on acquisition of new abilities and items with unique properties rather than HP bloat and moar DPS. Learning to teleport enemies above other enemies and into flames makes for far more interesting progression than hitting harder and tanking more, while having magical items rarer and less tiered improves their staying power and enjoyment from finding one.

empi

Augur
D:OS

Also poll released too early, PoE kinda just gets worse after the beginning and i'm sure lots of people voted before realising this

Last edited:

Xenich

Cipher

Also poll released to early, PoE kinda just gets worse after the beginning and i'm sure lots of people voted before realising this

That is what I am waiting to see before I even consider getting it. I got D:OS, enjoyed the game but found it lacking in difficulty, so I am waiting for the patch. I picked up WL2, I find the combat to be extremely lacking, so I am waiting for the patch they claim will balance out things. Picking up one more game only to find it is lacking similar to the others, well... that would be all my fault at this point.

Honestly, while these games are a step in the right direction, I think people need to cool down and be more objective. If this is what we are to expect in games as the "incline", well... I am not impressed.

Sykar

Arcane

Also poll released to early, PoE kinda just gets worse after the beginning and i'm sure lots of people voted before realising this

That is what I am waiting to see before I even consider getting it. I got D:OS, enjoyed the game but found it lacking in difficulty, so I am waiting for the patch. I picked up WL2, I find the combat to be extremely lacking, so I am waiting for the patch they claim will balance out things. Picking up one more game only to find it is lacking similar to the others, well... that would be all my fault at this point.

Honestly, while these games are a step in the right direction, I think people need to cool down and be more objective. If this is what we are to expect in games as the "incline", well... I am not impressed.

It is incline, it's just not as much as it could be and they still try too much to pander to mainstream to some degree imho.

Xenich

Cipher
It is incline, it's just not as much as it could be and they still try too much to pander to mainstream to some degree imho.

Now depending how that is, the game could be ruined for me. Some mainstream concepts I can live with, but some just... kill the game for me. Story is an "enhancer", I can take it or leave it, but if combat/character development is too mainstream, game won't be worth it to me. Guess I will have to wait for a detailed review and some detailed examples with a play through. Until then, the game is too pricey to throw money at.

Xenich

Cipher
Xenich Do you, in general, play computer games often? Are you a "gamer"?

Pretty much. Have been fairly consistently playing them since Pong/Oregon Trail days. I don't play as much as I used to, though enough to know basically what is out there, what they are doing, etc...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Pretty much. Have been fairly consistently playing them since Pong/Oregon Trail days. I don't play as much as I used to, though enough to know basically what is out there, what they are doing, etc...

Well, you seem kind of shocked by the fact that people on the RPG Codex spend time with and even enjoy games that they know have flaws.

The Codex is a gamer forum, and gamers play games - that's kind of the point. We can't just go "Hey, I hear Divinity's endgame isn't so hot, so let's completely ignore it." I mean, you can, but if you keep doing that then at some point you just lose touch with the hobby, and then what's the point of even posting on a gaming forum? So it's kind of a Darwinian thing.

As Roguey is fond of saying, RPGs are rarely "good". They're just too big and unfocused for that. The life of an RPG player is all about enjoying the good bits, ignoring the meh bits, and holding one's nose while grinding past the bad bits. Within reason, of course.

Last edited:

Xenich

Cipher

Well, you seem kind of shocked by the fact that people on the RPG Codex spend time with and even enjoy games that they know have flaws.

The Codex is a gamer forum, and gamers play games - that's kind of the point. We can't just go "Hey, I hear Divinity's endgame isn't so hot, so let's completely ignore it." I mean, you can, but if you keep doing that then at some point you just lose touch with the hobby, and then what's the point of even posting on a gaming forum? So it's kind of a Darwinian thing.

As Roguey is fond of saying, RPGs aren't really a "good" genre. The life of an RPG player is all about enjoying the good bits, trying to ignore the meh bits, and holding one's nose while grinding past the bad bits.

It isn't the issue of them playing games that have flaws, it is the swooning over them like they are the best thing since sliced bread. They do this with each new game released, they act like a bunch of teenagers and then get very defensive over any negative comments on the game. After a time, the honeymoon is over and then they all start getting negative. That isn't a gamer playing games, that is mainstreamers chasing fads.

I don't doubt PoE has some good elements. I can appreciate some terrible games "for what they are" and I can pick at good games for what they lack, but I don't fall for the hype like I used to in my youth. Like I said though, it isn't the fact people are playing the game, or even that they are enjoying it. Rather it is their lack of desire to objectively look at the flaws of a game until they have become bored with it. You saw the shit people flung on in the PoE forum on release, it was like I walked into the Bethesda forums. Some were giving honest evaluations of various systems and were being attacked by the same fan boys who do the same things over with every new game release. Hell, I disagree with Roguey quite often on many issues, but you are telling me the JS worshiper is more objective and level headed on a JS game than the rest? Like I said, this site is filled with people who aren't gamers in the sense that they truly appreciate game systems, but merely mainstreams who wish to be entertained.

I can appreciate the "style" of a mainstream game and why someone would find that appealing, but... this is the cRPG forums and the discussion is on cRPG games that are fighting the mainstream decline. So I would expect those who are evaluating the game to be a bit harder on the developers than they are. These developers don't need to be praised. There work should be critically evaluated, noted for when it does well to cRPG game play standards and heavily criticized when it fails such. I mean, I understand the excitement of something "familiar" to which PoE brings in terms of nostalgia, but this fad worship is so mainstream it turns my stomach. When one of the most "elitist" cRPG sites on the net acts like the average youtube channel when it comes to a new game being released, we have problem and this incline you guys are looking for? Will never come if you don't hold developers feet to the fire. Your praise of a game should be... "hard earned", not passed around like a cheap whore.

They did the same with D:OS as well. On release, it was the best thing since sliced bread, people were defending it like fan boys rather than agreeing/disagreeing on aspects and keeping the focus on what it can do better, where it needs to improve. You guys hate Hiver, but he was pretty much the only one from here over on their forums giving extensive feedback, suggestions, weighting the good and bad and fighting off the mainstreamers. Hell, people were praising the game, it was winning game of the year all the while Sven was claiming the game missed its mark, needed to be improved, etc.. I mean, for craps sake, the developer of the game was being hard on his own work while the rest were dancing around like teeny boppers. Then.. after the honeymoon is over, look at all the D:OS sucks, terrible game.. but damn.. PoE is like "da bestest game eva!".

Like I said, it isn't the fact people play games as such, it isn't the fact that might enjoy them. It is the all too common manner in which they fad praise things. That is my problem.

Vibalist

Arcane
Then.. after the honeymoon is over, look at all the D:OS sucks, terrible game.. but damn.. PoE is like "da bestest game eva!".

Yeah, this is pretty astounding. I'm very surprised to see the amount of negative feedback D:OS receives in this thread. The obvious and level headed way to evaluate it is to say that it was a good game with a lot of flaws, but people are extremely negative in their judgment. And yes, I'm willing to bet the exact same thing will happen in one month with PoE. As a matter of fact, there is already a lot of criticism being aimed at that game, but that may be coming mostly from the level headed crowd.

Also, one thing I find weird is that no one had mentioned D:OS' soundtrack as of yet. Where the music in PoE is boring and uninspired at best, D:OS actually had such a good soundtrack that it added tremendously to the experience. It is easily one of the better OSTs I have heard in an RPG.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Also, one thing I find weird is that no one had mentioned D:OS' soundtrack as of yet. Where the music in PoE is boring and uninspired at best, D:OS actually had such a good soundtrack that it added tremendously to the experience. It is easily one of the better OSTs I have heard in an RPG.

D:OS' sound track was pretentious, insufferable shit. At least POE's score was generic enough not to actively bother me.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Most people actually played PoE past the beginning though, unlike D:OS.

Almost 40% actually finished D:OS, and it's a very long game, much longer than PoE. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/poll-did-anyone-finish-divinity-original-sin.95970/

Then.. after the honeymoon is over, look at all the D:OS sucks, terrible game..

Do not mistake a few loud-mouthed posters for the Codex consensus, be it for DOS or PoE. Even in this honeymoon poll, it's just 74 vs 123; not that bad for D:OS, the nature of the Codex considered.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Then.. after the honeymoon is over, look at all the D:OS sucks, terrible game.. but damn.. PoE is like "da bestest game eva!".

Yeah, this is pretty astounding. I'm very surprised to see the amount of negative feedback D:OS receives in this thread.

Codex always has huge amount of negative feedback for EVERY game, no matter how good it is, even beloved classics. Someone will always turn up and say it's shit for reasons. Arcanum because shit combat and encounter design, PST for being a storyfag game with shitty combat and a second half that doesn't live up to the first, even Fallout got criticized often enough on here.

On the Codex, everything is shit, even the shit that isn't.

Xenich

Cipher

Yeah, this is pretty astounding. I'm very surprised to see the amount of negative feedback D:OS receives in this thread.

Codex always has huge amount of negative feedback for EVERY game, no matter how good it is, even beloved classics. Someone will always turn up and say it's shit for reasons. Arcanum because shit combat and encounter design, PST for being a storyfag game with shitty combat and a second half that doesn't live up to the first, even Fallout got criticized often enough on here.

On the Codex, everything is shit, even the shit that isn't.

That isn't the problem, if everything was shit, that would simply mean that the Codex has standards to which are nearly impossible to obtain. Hell, if the developers of cRPGs were trying to please that, the results would be pretty darn amazing.

The problem is more of the behavior of "I was for it, before I was against" people here on this site, that is the quick reflex sheepish praise mentality due to a new release.

Xenich

Cipher
Compared to Divinity 2 the game has vastly inferior art direction, visuals, atmosphere and storytelling elements, while sharing itemization and level inflation flaws.

Do you think some of that may be due to the perspective? I mean, there is something about being closer in on your character that provides a different element of feel and interaction than an isometric game. I agree Div 2 did pretty well in this area, but I am not sure that the perspective wasn't playing a big part of it here. I felt more "inside" Div 2, while D:OS felt more like I was playing "outside" of it so to speak. Can you understand what I am saying or am I explaining it poorly?

Ninjerk

Arcane

As Roguey is fond of saying, RPGs aren't really a "good" genre. The life of an RPG player is all about enjoying the good bits, trying to ignore the meh bits, and holding one's nose while grinding past the bad bits.

It isn't the issue of them playing games that have flaws, it is the swooning over them like they are the best thing since sliced bread. They do this with each new game released, they act like a bunch of teenagers and then get very defensive over any negative comments on the game.

There really is a lot of this going around over PoE. There are people running around saying everything is fine with PoE and it just isn't the case no matter how many beloved RPG developers of yore happen to be employed at Obsidian. I was thinking to myself last night as I tried to go to sleep, what's the most that I could recommend someone pay for the game as it is right now? I wouldn't advise any budget-conscious person to spend 50 dollars on this game right now. Wait for seasonal sales.

Sykar

Arcane
You guys hate Hiver, but he was pretty much the only one from here over on their forums giving extensive feedback, suggestions, weighting the good and bad and fighting off the mainstreamers. Hell, people were praising the game, it was winning game of the year all the while Sven was claiming the game missed its mark, needed to be improved, etc.. I mean, for craps sake, the developer of the game was being hard on his own work while the rest were dancing around like teeny boppers. Then.. after the honeymoon is over, look at all the D:OS sucks, terrible game.. but damn.. PoE is like "da bestest game eva!".

Like I said, it isn't the fact people play games as such, it isn't the fact that might enjoy them. It is the all too common manner in which they fad praise things. That is my problem.

The problem people have with Hiver is that he perceives himself as some kind of super genius and anyone disagreeing with him is either illiterate or a retard. He thinks he is never wrong and while this is not the most polite forum by far Hiver is exceptionally abrasive even by Codex standards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom