Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Developer Story Time with Old Man Davis

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anthony Davis you should write a book someday about your experiences in the industry. Maybe pull a Galileo and have it published posthumously. I would totally buy a copy, maybe even 2 or 3 as gifts for friends.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
^^^^
Probably because there's only one developer telling stories yet.

I decided to make my own video game with my friend Mike Judge. We spent a year and half making a game called Aldon's Crossing for the Palm Pilot, which for you youngins was what people used before iPhones and Blackberrys were invented. The game won a lot of awards and reviewed very well. Mike and I made some money on it, not retire and follow your dreams money, but it was money and that was kind of neat.
Sorry if this is too personal but how old are you?

I will be 42 this year. My friends say I don't look a day past 41 though.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
And no Roguey ;) , no one at Obsidian told me to post this, I thought it would be prudent to make it explicit that I am my own man sharing some stories about the great places I've worked and the great people I worked with.
Please don't take it the wrong way, I really appreciate that you're doing it and your technical insight is quite interesting but... Why are you doing this? Why telling stories here and now?

Some dear friends from Obsidian have been visiting me and my wife here in Texas, Dan Rubalcaba, Jay Bakke, Chris Avellone, and Dan Spitzley. It has put me in a reflective mood.

I know Obsidian isn't perfect, in fact there were times it was quite stressful, but the people I worked with were the best.

Last edited:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I remember you saying you would spill the beans on some of the more nasty stuff in the industry at some point. Is this the precursor to that (future) thread?

I did see a lot of things in the industry that were at best, sketchy. I might talk bout those in the future. Some of those have already been speculated on here at he codex. I'll save it for much later.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Anthony Davis you should write a book someday about your experiences in the industry. Maybe pull a Galileo and have it published posthumously. I would totally buy a copy, maybe even 2 or 3 as gifts for friends.

If I could write better, I would totally do that. I think I would need a ghost writer or something.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I know they play tabletop at Obsidian... but what else do they play?
Do they have a console couch?
Are 3D artists tabbing back and forth between their favorite MMOG and 3dmax every time Feargus walks by?

Or are Obsidianites all killing time reading the Codex?

When I was lat at obsidian, there were THREE. Lounges set up to play console games.

Feargus does not really micromanage like that. People are generally trusted enough to be responsible adults. You will see quite a few people playing games during lunch, or after 6.

I only think a few people these days read the codex, but I could be wrong. I think most of them who do are programmers.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
@Anthony

What do you think about the recent news of Obsidian co-developing the MMORPG Skyforge? Was it already running while you were still working there?
Do you have an idea how far Obsidian's involvment is probably going to be, considering the Allods team still seem to be the main developers?

As stated in the other thread, this is news to me. I had never even heard of that MMO.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
It's getting kind of hard to keep track of everything, so if I miss something, I apologize.

I know I still owe a post of my complete creature header
I know I still owe a post about a discussion of component vs. inheritance object models.

Did I miss anything else?

I'm just gonna ramble a bit..

KOTOR2 was obviously my first gig. I started off scripting cutscenes, the Ebon Hawk, and some other things. Jones did let me do some C++ for an occasional bug, but they really needed scripters at the time. The main scripters that I can remember on that project were myself, Adam Brennecke, and Ben Ma. Many designers did their own scripting, like Ferret, Tony Evans, and Chris Avellone.

Our producer for LucasArts was a guy by the name of Mike Gallo who is hands down one of the funniest producers to work with. John Morgan, Chris Avellone, and myself gave him no end of crap about Atton Rand's voice. We hated it, even though we all LOVED the actor. We used to play clips of Atton Rand REALLY LOUD when we were all working late just to tweak Mike. He was not only a good sport about it, he was ADAMANT that people who played the game would love his voice acting.

Mike was right and I never got a chance to tell him that. Thank God, I'm sure he would have rubbed it in our faces, hahahahahahahaha. I miss Mike.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ya, but the difference is that Markland was no longer a member of Obsidian when he stopped posting.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hahaha! Must be Bethesda's dark magic...
Remember when they silenced Mr. Smiley Face Dude?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Well, Feargus and Avellone are always busy.

Chapman has moved on to Blizzard, and is also pretty busy.

Markland I think went to Hollywood, but we lost touch so I don't know.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Interesting to read the good side of game development, as opposed to the usual horror stories about game development crunch time.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Is bit about beth explicitly forbidding to post on RPGCodex true?

EDIT: Anthony, got any stories about evil publishers?

I have no idea on the first thing.

On the second thing, my opinion on publishers has changed over time.

Evil is never a word I would use to describe them.

For many of them, it is simply a question of watching over their money which they have invested in something getting built. If milestones don't get reached, they get nervous. This is completely reasonable.

If you hired a guy to build you a roof before rainy season starts, and they were running late, you might get more than a bit nervous, you might start to get downright angry, especially if you didn't have the money or the time to get a second contractor on the roof.

That is a metaphor for the publisher trying to get a game developed for a certain quarter in order to meet a certain target.

I think most reasonable people can understand what I just wrote.

Where publishers and developers go wrong, is the micromanaging publisher, or the publisher that keeps moving the goal posts, or the NEW publisher that doesn't actually understand the game business. I think we can all see how those can create problems.

Why do publishers get so much blame?

Well, for one, the developers are who gets most of the press, and they are also the ones who interact most directly with their gamer fans. Often, the developers will BLAME publishers unfairly to cause misdirection.

This is not ALWAYS true, sometimes the publisher, as in those later cases I mentioned, will do something that does legitimately hurt the game development process. Such as moving up a release date, or micromanaging the product, or something like that. Experienced game developers can adapt to these and make do.

All businesses put money first, they have to or they wont stay in business. Sometimes you find companies that put their customers second, and their own people third. Those are usually very good companies. Sounds weird I know, but that is a recipe for a good company.

Then you have companies that put their own people very far down the list. They do things like mandatory 6 or 7 day weeks, mandatory 10, 12, or even 14 hour days. Those companies are very bad. EA still gets a lot residual hate for the "EA Spouse" situation, which was 100% true, and actually even worse that stated.

Remember, publisher's aren't some alien force from another planet, they are human beings doing their own job trying to accomplish their own goals and get home to their significant others and families too.

I'm not trying to make excuses for publishers. By and large my experience with publishers has been pretty good.

LucasArts: pretty darn good group to work for, good support, I would have liked some stronger marketing.

Atari: pretty darn good to work for, but they had some internal troubles that made some areas difficult. Things like that happen in business, but we finished NWN2 and we got two more expansions for which I am grateful to have worked on.

Sega: pretty darn good to work for, and very patient. They had their own money troubles, remember the year they cancelled
Aliens: Crucible, they posted a 260 million dollar loss or something like that, and that obviously caused some concerns, which were understandable.

Bethesda: good in some ways, AMAZING in other ways. They are excellent marketers, which as a game developer, you love to see your sweat and blood well marketed. They provide a lot of support for their developers. They are strong ... and a bit cold on the business end, which over time I have grown to understand. Especially now that I am helping run 4 businesses.

Square Enix: wonderful to work for, simply wonderful. Can't really complain about them at all. Would have liked a bigger budget I guess, that is something that could have been better i guess.

This is overall a review on the BIG issues. Sure, there are day to day, or week to week things that might make you groan or something, but that's life when someone else is the boss.

So I understand that my experience with publishers is not normal, and maybe softened over time too. I know some of this might be decline for you guys, but if I try to objective and understand, I find most of this to be true. i wish i had known it more when I was actually still developing games as I might have stressed less.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anthony Davis Who were you managed by at Square? By Square Europe (AKA the former Eidos) or directly by Square in Japan?

Also in before raw gloating

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
They were forbidden from doing so when development of FO:NV began

MCA told me that had never been the case. He told me all Obsidian devs were and remain always free to post wherever they want.

You can choose not to trust MCA on that, of course :P

Ah I see. Yeah TBH I always had the feeling that was an urban legend. I feel bad for repeating it now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom