Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls II Available for Pre-Purchase on Steam

Black_Willow

Arcane
DS2 is the pinnacle of souls series, its demons and dark combined into one.
So it's like shit x shit? Awesome, the pinnacle of shit is comming!

A user named cat

I agree with Metro too. Though I'd say DS was certainly admirable for what it brought to the table especially compared to the other shit mascarading as ARPGs nowadays, but I also lost interest after about 10 hours or so. Maybe I'll give it another go eventually. I'd like to finish Shadow Tower: Abyss first though which is basically a precursor.

In a sense DS reminded me of Vagrant Story with the dark and underspoken atmosphere you explore while being quite challenging, but pales in comparison in about every aspect. If Square had any kind of brains left, they'd cash in on this Souls craze and give us a VG2.

Edit: VS2, that is.

Last edited by a moderator:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not sure I get the balls thing. I mean, I like balls as much as the next guy.. Or.. Something..

From Software has been making variations on Dark Souls quite a few times, for many, many years. Starting with King's Field way back in '94. It's been a very gradual progression to Dark Souls, and a reasonably popular one.

Didn't know that. In that case scratch the balls, the rest of my point stands though...Eh...

My subconsciousness is killing me today.

Misconnected

Savant
Didn't know that. In that case scratch the balls, the rest of my point stands though...Eh...

I think there's been roughly one Dark Souls-like game every two years since the first King's Field, and even the least popular one was popular enough to spawn a sequel. Mind, I've only played five of them, but all of those were indeed very Dark Souls-like (or perhaps more accurately: King's Field-like) - and if you're into these sorts of games, totally worth your time.

Dost thou newfag disagree?

I'm guessing he didn't get the comparison. I know I didn't. I only played an hour or two of VS years ago, but isn't it a pretty standard action game with a very-very JRPG'y story?

Athelas

Arcane
In a sense DS reminded me of Vagrant Story with the dark and underspoken atmosphere you explore while being quite challenging, but pales in comparison in about every aspect.
:hmmm:
Dost thou newfag disagree?
It was certainly more interesting than the typical Squaresoft jRPG, but the end result was some weird consolitized version of RTwP and the usual convoluted story. I also don't recall the game being particularly challenging or the dungeon design being particularly atmospheric. About the most memorable thing about the game was probably those assless chaps the protagonist was wearing.

A user named cat

It was certainly more interesting than the typical Squaresoft jRPG, but the end result was some weird consolitized version of RTwP and the usual convoluted story. I also don't recall the game being particularly challenging or the dungeon design being particularly atmospheric. About the most memorable thing about the game was probably those assless chaps the protagonist was wearing.
I don't remember a thing about the story to be honest and never focused on that. I treated it as a brooding dungeon crawler and found it much more intriguing than DS. Combat was more interesting than generic RTwPopamole too considering you could target body parts like Fallout, plus the importance of what weapons you wield and discovering the various weaknesses of enemies. Some of the bosses were quite tough too. Need to replay it again sometime.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
The connection is that there's basically nothing to do BUT that. There are a few scattered npcs that ramble incoherently but for the most part you're just going from boss to boss. Is there a need for grinding, no. But it's certainly a part of the game in terms of upgrading your character's ability to kill things.

I like that most of the time was spent exploring, fighting monsters and finding cool stuff. The NPCs were just enough to set the mood and keep me interested in the world. And you do level up just from making progess. You don't have to grind.

Moreover, I never found the combat itself much to my liking.

See, that's key.

It's more choreography and learning patterns than fighting.

What can I say. I like Punch-Out.

So, there is a need to grind then. Btw, you need max upgraded armor and weapons if you want to even have a chance in PVP or in NG+.

I'm only interested in single player, with invasions to spice things up. If you're more into PvP, I can see your problem with grinding.

Last edited:

St. Toxic

Arcane
There's no need to grind for PvP afaik. One basic playthrough is enough to max out one build at 120. Armor not that important, but 20 mins into NG+ and you've got any set maxed.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I wonder if those pre-order weapons will turn out to be jinxed or cursed or something appropriately trollish.

They're either ok or worse than alternatives you can get after 10 mins of playing.

Misconnected

Savant
Good. I fucking hate the backer-/preorder-/DLC-exclusive god-item rubbish far too many devs are pushing these days.

Warlock is a fantastic example of how to ruin it. The entire purpose of half the DLC that game got, was to wreck the balance. Anyone dumb enough to buy them suddenly no longer had any difficulty settings above 'player input doesn't matter'.

EDIT: I've tried to voice this to every Kickstarter I've backed, but I guess I'm a minority. But at least the Kickstarter projects have used a 'redeem special code to destroy game' scheme so far.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
EDIT: I've tried to voice this to every Kickstarter I've backed, but I guess I'm a minority. But at least the Kickstarter projects have used a 'redeem special code to destroy game' scheme so far.
You're not, but kickstarter runners are in a bind with enticing people to contribute.

There was a big outcry over the backer only skill for Wasteland 2, and a few others I've followed.

Misconnected

Savant
There was? Must've slipped by me. But honestly, after a brief stay in the hospital recently I've pretty much stopped following stuff I've backed.

Personally I'd be a lot more pleased if developers just offered a reskinned something, a thankyou in the pdf or something similar. Or hell, a 'backer's/preorder's/DLC buyer's only' difficulty setting launching a screensaver.

Actually, that last one would be pretty fantastic :D

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014

Thoughts? This kind of makes me want to wait a bit for more reviews( from non IGN type sites/people) before purchasing.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

Thoughts? This kind of makes me want to wait a bit for more reviews( from non IGN type sites/people) before purchasing.

I've played the game, and everything he said resonates with me and is completely true, but he missed a few things like weapon balancing. Dark Souls 2 to me, is a $20 game. If you're buying Dark Souls 2 with PvP in mind, you will be disappointed.

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014
I've played the game, and everything he said resonates with me and is completely true, but he missed a few things like weapon balancing. Dark Souls 2 to me, is a $20 game. If you're buying Dark Souls 2 with PvP in mind, you will be disappointed.
And here I was hoping he was just an over-dramatic youtuber( though some of the clips speak for themselves). Although I don't care about PvP as much( definitely didn't care about it in the original), I'm still cautious. Will wait for a sale/codex rage reaction then.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
as a guy who didn't like DS1 all that much, I'm actually having a good time with DS2. I'm playing fucktons of co-op. taking on the same hard challenges over and over with different strangers is more life-affirming than I would've guessed it could be. I just wish they'd made co-op more user-friendly. blech. "let's improve the server infrastructure, but still require the same bizarre behavior from players!" I'm not all about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom