Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[CYOA?] Let's Play Space Rangers text adventures

baturinsky

Arcane
My favorite quest from both SR in Menzol. Not sure it would fit well in interactive LP format.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My favorite quest from both SR in Menzol. Not sure it would fit well in interactive LP format.
Ah, it was my very first text quest. I remember that feeling of 'WTF am I playing'. It would fit alright, but, unfortunately, it isn't available in English.

2 votes for a bribe, 1 for physical course, and 1 for psychological counseling.
2015_09_28_073846.jpg

Alright, so here's our - or rather, Ytzokheng's - first opponent.
Gladiator_01.jpg

A sumo fighter! I wonder whose kung-fu is stronger. :M
2015_09_28_074022.jpg

We need to choose a strategy for the fight.

Kipeci

Arcane
What are the disadvantages of being a pansy and melting the guy from a distance? Morale is reduced or something?

I vote for taping a brick to our stomach. I don't think it'll end well for us, I just want to see what happens because it seems so bizarre.

Nevill

Arcane
What are the disadvantages of being a pansy and melting the guy from a distance? Morale is reduced or something?
Yes. Stamina is preserved, but all that running away makes our charge a bit nervous.

I vote for taping a brick to our stomach. I don't think it'll end well for us, I just want to see what happens because it seems so bizarre.
The guy is a sumo fighter. His MO is to hit us with his stomach with as much force as he could muster. Getting a brick to the stomach isn't good for anyone.

Last edited:

MZeta

Scholar
This was my second text adventure when I played SR... the memories.

Go with the brick, surely it will bode well :cool:

Nevill

Arcane
Alright. Brick it is.
2015_09_28_175030.jpg

What do you know? We've won! The judges, however, didn't take kindly to our cheating, even though they didn't disqualify us right away. But our morale is at an all-time high, and with the chief judge in our pocket, our future looks bright... right? :M

I have taken the liberty of choosing to whip Ytzokheng into shape just a little. Even if we don't need to, the option to go back to the arena is right there, so it's not like we lose anything.
2015_09_28_175036.jpg

These options give us an opportunity to trade some stats for others. Which ones for which ones? I'll leave it for you to figure out. :cool:

Kipeci

Arcane
Impress the judges, I guess? We're in good shape with most things but for that they don't care for us, and I don't know how much bribing the chief judge works for.

Nevill

Arcane
You can choose multiple things if you so wish.

The chief judge's role is to give a final verdict if there is no agreement between the judges. He is the ultimate arbiter for fringe cases.

He won't do much for you if your cheating is obvious for everyone to see.

Kipeci

Arcane
I wouldn't want to do anything other than fight after putting on the show, the only thing we're bad with right now is the judge's regard for us.

Nevill

Arcane
I am not sure the muscles of a scrawny peleng would impress maloqi judges all that much. :M

I mean, we are talking these guys:
Diehard_00.jpg
Diamond_00.jpg

Ytzokheng will have to impress them differently.

Last edited:

MZeta

Scholar
Call in some girls, he will probably die horribly so let him have some quality time.

Nevill

Arcane
Soo... 2 votes for the judges, and 1 for the girls. Aww, just one? Fagdex indeed! :rpgcodex::codexisfor:
Judges.jpg

Let's go meet our next challenger, then.
Gladiator_02.jpg

Isn't he a cutie? :hug:

Unfortunately, Ytzokheng does not share our appreciation of the beast, but what does he know? I'd trade him for that beauty in a heartbeat!
2nd_fight.jpg

Eh, we have to work with what we have. Which, frankly, isn't a lot. We can choose to go to the fight and hope for the best, arrange for an 'understanding' with the beast's master, or file a complaint to the judges.

Pick your poison.
:avatard:

Edit: I have played with the values a bit, altering a few conditions and adding a few lines of code while fixing a few bugs in the process. As a result, more ways to win are open now, which is balanced out by adding a few more ways to lose. Previously, buying out the chief judge was the most surefire way to victory, and picking a physical fitness course in the beginning was fairly useless. Not anymore... I hope.

I can guarantee you that any of the options above can still lead to victory, but the paths will get very narrow as your stats will diminish quickly.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Instruct our gladiator how to correctly use that rope to win (hopefully our character is really creative/works part-time as a point-and-click protagonist, because I can't figure out what to do in this situation).

MZeta

Scholar
I would also go for the instruction before fight. I would say submiting a complaint wrth our current standing with judges would not do us any good.

Nevill

Arcane
'k. Now, I guess... choose wisely. :salute:
2015_09_29_234623.jpg

There is only one answer here that would allow us to finish the mission successfully - and that's because I edited it in. In the original quest they all lead to failure... not straight away, but they dropped our stats too low. :M

I am not entirely happy with the result, but it will have to do for now.

Kipeci

Arcane
There's no chance our guy is going to be able to trip up something 4 meters tall without getting in range and slowing down enough to be killed right away. We didn't bribe the thing's master so that's really not the way to go, and our guy is too tired to think of his own strategy so I doubt us yelling "do something, don't worry about being honorable!" will actually help at all.

I can see our guy just maybe being able to be quick enough to climb up over it with his sickening excess of arms and throttle it, so I'll go for that option.

lightbane

Arcane
I believe the "Entangle..." option is the right one, if only because it has no bullet point unlike the others, which means that's probably the edited one. So I'll vote for that.:M

Nevill

Arcane
We didn't bribe the thing's master so that's really not the way to go
But it might calm him down. :M

if only because it has no bullet point unlike the others, which means that's probably the edited one.
I am not sure what you mean. :M

In any case, I left the grammar alone (mostly) and only messed with the variables a little. Those don't really show in-game.

Kipeci

Arcane
I believe the "Entangle..." option is the right one, if only because it has no bullet point unlike the others, which means that's probably the edited one. So I'll vote for that.:M
The rope one doesn't have that, either! Think with your head, bro. Getting in range to trip it at the altitude where it has those murderous appendages will have us be massacred for sure.

Nevill

Arcane
Will be waiting for MZeta's vote to make it through the moderation queue, if there is one. If no more votes come until 18:00 UST, I'll just throw a die.

MZeta

Scholar
Go for first option, lets try to strangle him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom