Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crpgs with good Ironman modes.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
@wizardry. Which parts. If i remember correctly 1 - 5 doesn have sonething that you could csll graphics. Thr crpgs i play doesnt need to have goot graphics but it should have colours on the wall. Maybe something else
@bards tale: this sounds hot i will look at this fine games. Thx for that. This sounds exactly like the kind of game i search.
It might be just me, but I think bard's tale sucks ass compared to wizardry. BT is nothing more than huge lifeless areas with shittons of repetitive combat. If you're that much of a grafix whore ( ;) ) you could play wizardry 1 on NES, or W5 on SNES (although I'm nt sure if they simplified the gameplay on console ports).
Also the early Might and Magics are way better than BT, and somewhat Ironman, too. You can only save at one of the 5 Inns in the game. And MM2 is rather beautiful.

Trip81

Novice
More than 20 posts in and no mention of Jagged Alliance 2? ...

Temple of Elemental Evil? ... watch out for bugs (most addressed by Co8..)
temple of elemental evil the german version is an unplayable bugfest. :(

jagged alliance 2 i played hundred of hours a long time ago. this game was great one of the best if not the best tactical turn based game ever.

Trip81

Novice
It might be just me, but I think bard's tale sucks ass compared to wizardry. BT is nothing more than huge lifeless areas with shittons of repetitive combat. If you're that much of a grafix whore ( ;) ) you could play wizardry 1 on NES, or W5 on SNES (although I'm nt sure if they simplified the gameplay on console ports).
Also the early Might and Magics are way better than BT, and somewhat Ironman, too. You can only save at one of the 5 Inns in the game. And MM2 is rather beautiful.
no im no graphic whore. i started to play pool of radiance from 1988. i dont need pretty graphics. but i need at least some colours :) to see whats wall whats floor whats a door etc.. these lines in wizardry confuses me.

does somebody know if the nes and or snes version of wizardry are the same experience or not?
if yes i would be happy to play em.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Something I forgot about - the first 3 wizardries were remade for psx and look rather beautiful. Didn't play long. But it felt as challenging as the pc version.

Depending on how familiar you are with 3.x/OGL rules Knights of the Chalice is great fun to Ironman.

Outside of that I would reiterate everyone's recommendation of NEO Scavenger (my personal GotY for 2014).
ToEE can be fun as well, but I would recommend saving ironman for a 2nd or 3rd play through, cause, man, there is some wonky-ass shit in that game.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Since you're apparently not adverse to tactical squad games with RPG elements you could try "Fallout tactics". The iron man mode only lets you save between missions, all the fighting is done without saving.

Perkel

Arcane
What's even going on in this thread? Not a single mention of Mount and Blade, yet this game features best Iron Man mechanics I have ever seen in my sorry life.

Good point. I spend in Ironman Prophecy of Pendor mod more time than probably any other game.

Perkel

Arcane
Exactly. Apparently this is TOO DIFFICULT for people to do. :lol:

Every time i hear this line i think:
"Just imagine better story and play with that" or "don't use x then"

saving also is part of design unfortunetely.
Play Stalker game without f5 and f9. Whole game was build around that model.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
More than 20 posts in and no mention of Jagged Alliance 2? ...

Temple of Elemental Evil? ... watch out for bugs (most addressed by Co8..)

Bugs, glitches, and Acts of God (poweroutage, etc) should never count as a failure in Ironman mode. The point of Ironman is to test your ability of how far you can get, not how well a programmer made the game or if God is pissed off at you.

Perkel

Arcane
Bugs, glitches, and Acts of God (poweroutage, etc) should never count as a failure in Ironman mode. The point of Ironman is to test your ability of how far you can get, not how well a programmer made the game or if God is pissed off at you.

yeah. Game should be created with Ironman in mind. Neo Scavenger balance for example would crumble if you could save scum and game wouldn't be considered GOTY for many people if saving in that game would exist.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
yeah. Game should be created with Ironman in mind. Neo Scavenger balance for example would crumble if you could save scum and game wouldn't be considered GOTY for many people if saving in that game would exist.

Speaking of which.

Attention programmers: is there a way to program a game to know the difference between a power outage and someone turning off the system and/or ripping out the power cord?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of which.

Attention programmers: is there a way to program a game to know the difference between a power outage and someone turning off the system and/or ripping out the power cord?
I keep it short: Difference between power outage and ripping power cord-No.
Difference between power outage/ripping cord and turning off: yes, possible.

Perkel

Arcane
Speaking of which.

I assume that game just needs to save very often. Like in neo scavenger case it saves every turn i believe so even if there is power outage you are fucked either way. Most of powercord cable "power outages/player rage" would be handled by above.

In case of NS i think only when you are in battle game doesn't save state so you could technically save scum that part, though removing that hole wouldn't be a problem for programmer.

If you mean in god is mad at me case of real power outage very often saves will easily deal with that.

Dark Souls isn't really ironaman game but you can basically altf4 game or powercord and you will respawn in almost same space.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
@grimrock man i would looooove this game if would unterstand how the combat should be fun. I dont know if im just to dumb to play it or if its the combat that sucks. I run backwards in circles and click on every button without cooldown. In my opinion this isnt fun @all. Like i said maybe its my fault i dont know.
Of course its your fault. Dont play like a moron.

Trip81

Novice
Depending on how familiar you are with 3.x/OGL rules Knights of the Chalice is great fun to Ironman.

Outside of that I would reiterate everyone's recommendation of NEO Scavenger (my personal GotY for 2014).
ToEE can be fun as well, but I would recommend saving ironman for a 2nd or 3rd play through, cause, man, there is some wonky-ass shit in that game.
Whats 3x/ogl? Something lile ad&d?
@ Neoscavanger after all these posts i playef half a hour of this game. This looks like a really great game that i will enjoy a lot,but the combat it looks like this is the big weakpoint of this game. But i just played half a hour so this may change. But thx a lot for this game

Trip81

Novice
I
Something I forgot about - the first 3 wizardries were remade for psx and look rather beautiful. Didn't play long. But it felt as challenging as the pc version.
watches some lets plays of wizardry games on youtube. These games looks awesome and i never played one besides some spinoof on the ps2 a long time ago. I decided to play wiz 1-3 on the snes. To skip part 4 and part 5 on snes again.6-8 i will play on the pc. So i have a pool of 7 brutal but very good rpgs to play. This is awesome :)

Trip81

Novice
Since you're apparently not adverse to tactical squad games with RPG elements you could try "Fallout tactics". The iron man mode only lets you save between missions, all the fighting is done without saving.
I thought this game is shit? I never played it. Is this game actually good?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
I

watches some lets plays of wizardry games on youtube. These games looks awesome and i never played one besides some spinoof on the ps2 a long time ago. I decided to play wiz 1-3 on the snes. To skip part 4 and part 5 on snes again.6-8 i will play on the pc. So i have a pool of 7 brutal but very good rpgs to play. This is awesome :)
Yes, japanese sure love their wizardry clones.
While this is a sound plan, mind that wiz 6-8 aren't exactly ironman games, unless you force yourself to ironman them. But then again, this is true for any game.

I thought this game is shit? I never played it. Is this game actually good?
Don't confuse Fallout Tactics:Brotherhood of Steel with Fallout:Brotherhood of Steel. FT is quite cool.

Trip81

Novice
Simply don't save and you're on iron man in any game you choose.
Its not simple like that. Yes there are games you can play like that but there are not many. A game has to be designed and adjusted to be played like that. For an example think of an ironman playthrough without saving in a game where an encounter could onehit you. This doesnt sounds like fun does it? On of the best ironman like games i know is dark/demon souls. When you die its your fault. Simple as that. This in a turn based rpg. And that is exactly what i search.but i ended dragons dogma like that. No saves outside of town. No healet no healitems. Hard mode. What a blast to play like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom