Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization V

Delterius

Arcane
This is what you get for starting with CiV. Of course the dutch building machu picchu sounds weird to you, you didn't even get to see an army of french spears defeat aztec panzers.

that's not how civ works, that's not how it's supposed to work.
Since you decided not to take the hint, I'll say it plain: there's only my PC and me, and neither of us cares.
What you consider Civ's 'essence' I see as retarded and I want to play my way. If you don't know of such a mod - move along. What's the problem here?

caveman2cosmos
I tried - and it was fun for a bit - but horrible performance (old PC) choked all enjoyment out of it rather quickly.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
that's not how civ works, that's not how it's supposed to work.
Since you decided not to take the hint, I'll say it plain: there's only my PC and me, and neither of us cares.
Irony since you're the one who wants to larp here.

What you consider Civ's 'essence' I see as retarded and I want to play my way. If you don't know of such a mod - move along. What's the problem here?
Well the problem seems to be that you aren't having fun. The only mods you will find that can do what you want would be total overhauls that change just about everything in the game... so maybe you should just play another game.

you're telling a football player it's retarded to not being able to grab the ball with your hands.
If he isn't playing football, he can grab all the balls he wants, I ain't stopping him. And I'll be playing with mine however I like. What's the problem with ball grabbing here?

Gozma

Arcane
why would you have that? that's the very essence of civ.
Because it's retarded. All those things derived from specific cultures and make no sense to pop up somewhere simply because "+1 Culture fuck yeah".
And what's the point in playing a certain nation if you'll be going the same route every time.
Or am I having fun wrong?
Yes, Civ choices were purely cosmetic*. It's just a way to put a flag and a color on your stuff. It's not meant to be a history simulator. If you want that play Paradox games with lucky nations turned out.

*Since 4 they actually have different benefits and some unique stuff.

3 had unique units IIRC

Edit - Ah, and the free technologies each civ gets at the start have always been Civ-specific I think

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
If you want a historical simulator you've obviously come to the wrong series.

gromit

Arcane
Let the prosecution speak!
no more Zoroastrian France building Machu Picchu and stuff like that (...) it's retarded (...) those things derived from specific cultures and make no sense to pop up somewhere simply because "+1 Culture fuck yeah".

And now let's hear from the defense...
what's the point in playing a certain nation if you'll be going the same route every time.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Well, if you have a new PC, I don't see what's stopping you from ditching this shit game and playing cavemen2cosmos instead. Maybe you are a masochist?

C2C is unplayable even if you had a supercomputer, because it's limited by the piece of shit engine. No matter what your specs are, the game will choke if you use a large enough map size (and why wouldn't you, standard and below are for fags) and play for long enough.

Delterius

Arcane
Last I played Civilization V I felt it to be ultimately unfullfillling, but from reading this thread it seems that some minimal strides were made. So I ask, can this game be fixed by mods?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Last I played Civilization V I felt it to be ultimately unfullfillling, but from reading this thread it seems that some minimal strides were made. So I ask, can this game be fixed by mods?

Short answer: not really, because the base game can't be modded too drastically. Mods will improve your experience(Civ4 Leonard Nimoy voiceovers for techs, InfoAddict, RED Mod, Faster Aircraft animations, etc.), or add some bits to the game(tons of Wonders, Nations, etc.).

THAT SAID, the two expansions greatly improved the base game. It's good. The AI is better than CIV4, even if it fucks up in hex based combat. At least it knows what oceans are(Civ4 AI never really did). Ideologies are fun, tourism is fun, there's a lot to do, and it can be hard. It's not Civ4. It's different. Perfect? Hell no. Alpha Centauri is perfect, Civ5 is just "good".

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Is Civ V a good start for a beginner to the series?
I don't recommend... Well, it's not that bad, but if you play it and say it's not to your liking and don't want to try the awesome & great Civ4 it would be a waste.
At least play it with expansions (I have heard from several people that it makes no sense without expansions). Note I have berely played CivV so can't comment if it's good with these expansions or not.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Play the original

civ.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yes. Then you can proceed to cIV glory when you're done with V.
I have to disagree.

I'd start with 2, then play SMAC, then 3, then 4.

No reason to play the only game in the series that was a clear step back in just about every where.

We could debate a lot of things concerning how I disagree with your statement (like the fact that I think #4 is the best Civ closely followed by #2), but you suggested playing 3, so I think the gap between our understandings is simply too wide to cover.

Also Irenaeus: recommending cIv over cIIv has got to be the definition of being a hipstering poser ;)

Civilization II is probably one of the most clear examples in gaming history of a sequal that basically improved on the original in every aspect. Even fucking Skyway seems to think so, lol.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Yes. Then you can proceed to cIV glory when you're done with V.
I have to disagree.

I'd start with 2, then play SMAC, then 3, then 4.

No reason to play the only game in the series that was a clear step back in just about every where.
There is no real reason to go back to 2 and 3 IMO. 4 with expansions is the penultimate Civ game, the predecessors are just less developed versions of that game. SMAC definitely worth a try on the other hand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom