Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization V

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
CKII actually not that annoying - mostly because you can disable 99% of the popups. CivV popups are not a "popup" - it'll take you to a separate screen with leader animation. Worse still - it'll force you to go there not only when some deal is proposed - like trade or alliance, but you will be shovedthere for every "We thank you for signed deal" nonsense. Every warning every "we like what you did", "we disapprove your dealing with X", every AI thought forces you tothat screen. There is no option to shove all this useless and meaningless faggotry to simple bottom corner notifications.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I always get the Great Library on Emperor if I really want it. Difficulties past that show a steady decline, but not in particularly large increments. Going Liberty, cutting forests, and briefly stalling expansion lets me do it. You can jump to Philosophy via GL and then nab the Oracle, too, if you want, though I usually start the National College as fast as I can after the GL. At that point, my science is easily #1 and I roll back up the tech tree. And not expanding fast isn't that big of a deal because Civ5 more than anything severely punishes rapid expansion (and being a warmonger).

Luzur

Good Sir
yo bros! i just found this Civ II remake:

http://c-evo.org/text.html

shot1.jpg

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Its not exactly a remake, from what I gather its about getting the best possible AI in a civ game.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Got the Humble Bundle full DLC pack.
1500AD later... AI has the Diplomacy skill of a koi fish.
Gib gib gib gib gib gib gib gib was all they do.
They dare not declare war to great Venice Trade Empire.
But I got too bored to finish playing the game.
Probably one of the weakest part of the game from Vanilla till now.
I'm probably going to play more aggressive Civ if I want to get any sort of entertainment.

tindrli

Arcane
no, you didn't understood well.
i can find dune wars just fine, i'm looking for the modmod whose link is broken.

holy shit, this is the civ FIVE thread. sorry, my bad.

let me find the right one and replace my absurd off topic with a question: why has civ4 master of mana, fall from heaven, caveman2cosmos and dune wars but that shitty civ5 has only that shitty faerun?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

let me find the right one and replace my absurd off topic with a question: why has civ4 master of mana, fall from heaven, caveman2cosmos and dune wars but that shitty civ5 has only that shitty faerun?

Even assuming that both games are equally moddable (and they arent with civ5 being way harder and limited) then you have the issue of having to create more complicated unit models and buildings. The better the graphics are the harder it is to mod stuff.

Also I think the community doesnt like civ5 as much.

baturinsky

Arcane

Because Civ5 is inherently shit and no mod can salvage it.

Is there a mod that restricts unique buildings/wonders/religions/etc to their actual nations?
E.g. no more Zoroastrian France building Machu Picchu and stuff like that.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Is there a mod that restricts unique buildings/wonders/religions/etc to their actual nations?
E.g. no more Zoroastrian France building Machu Picchu and stuff like that.

Don't think so, or if that's possible. Best bet is to use the in-game editor mod to change what you need.

why would you have that? that's the very essence of civ.
Because it's retarded. All those things derived from specific cultures and make no sense to pop up somewhere simply because "+1 Culture fuck yeah".
And what's the point in playing a certain nation if you'll be going the same route every time.
Or am I having fun wrong?

you are.
that's not how civ works, that's not how it's supposed to work.

the only thing barely, vaguely similar to what you're looking for is the "cultures" mechanics in caveman2cosmos. cultures are world wonders with (not so) specific land and resource requirements which are supposed to mimic where and when they were located. sometimes it works, most other times it won't. because that's not how civ works, that's not how it's supposed to work.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
why would you have that? that's the very essence of civ.
Because it's retarded. All those things derived from specific cultures and make no sense to pop up somewhere simply because "+1 Culture fuck yeah".
And what's the point in playing a certain nation if you'll be going the same route every time.
Or am I having fun wrong?
Yes, Civ choices were purely cosmetic*. It's just a way to put a flag and a color on your stuff. It's not meant to be a history simulator. If you want that play Paradox games with lucky nations turned out.

*Since 4 they actually have different benefits and some unique stuff.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Amazonian Warriors is a better game than Civ 5 even with the expansion pack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom