Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Sentinel

Arcane
How is exactly is PoE2 being casualized?

Everything per encounter, including spells. Endurance/Health mechanic replaced by a single health bar which always replenishes after combat, with knockout injuries serving the purpose of strategic health management.

Lots of other changes but they're not obvious casualisation, like those two.

edit: roguey'ed
I don't think any of these changes are "casualization" in and of themselves, they're just "changes". However I don't remember something: what are they changing to be per-encounter? Is it "You now have 2 per-encounter 9th level spells" or is it "You now have 2 individual per encounter charges of any spell in your spell list"?
If it's the former how casualized it'll be will depend on how many "per level charges" you're granted. If it's the latter it's absolutely retarded and might as well give me cooldowns to prevent spamming.

But as others have expressed, I don't have much hope for PoE2. I expect it to be a fully mediocre game, actually weaker than PoE1 in many aspects. The only hope I have is that Sawyer, as Narrative Lead/Director, same role he fulfilled in New Vegas, manages to contain the SJW retard spasms that the writers will inevitably have, as he also did for New Vegas.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Got a problem with it, faggot?
\​

DS.jpg

Quillon

Arcane
The only hope I have is that Sawyer, as Narrative Lead/Director, same role he fulfilled in New Vegas, manages to contain the SJW retard spasms that the writers will inevitably have, as he also did for New Vegas.

John Gonzalez was narrative lead for NV. Also most ppl here are accusing Sawyer of those things you said he stands against.

Sentinel

Arcane
The only hope I have is that Sawyer, as Narrative Lead/Director, same role he fulfilled in New Vegas, manages to contain the SJW retard spasms that the writers will inevitably have, as he also did for New Vegas.

John Gonzalez was narrative lead for NV. Also most ppl here are accusing Sawyer of those things you said he stands against.
I know John Gonzalez was the Narrative Lead, but Josh Sawyer oversaw/directed a lot of the writing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If it's the former how casualized it'll be will depend on how many "per level charges" you're granted. If it's the latter it's absolutely retarded and might as well give me cooldowns to prevent spamming.

They work like spells normally work, except they're weaker versions of them. To get the normal version, you have to power it up with a resource that's replenished through rest. Josh said he made this change because too many bad players were spamming all their spells in every fight, then resting/backtracking to rest. He also stated he removed endurance/health because too many players found it confusing. These are changes he's making to cater to the worst of players, i.e. casualization.

Quillon

Arcane
I know John Gonzalez was the Narrative Lead, but Josh Sawyer oversaw/directed a lot of the writing.

I recall he said he collaborated with JohnGonzo over the main arc but I don't think he had a lot to do with most other writing simply cos there was too much writing and too much other things for him to manage/do for NV. Also John Gonzo has a GDC talk/panel about NV, it seemed to me he had pretty much all the reins.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1013775/Narrative-Design-Between-the-Lines

Last edited:

Rev

Arcane
They work like spells normally work, except they're weaker versions of them. To get the normal version, you have to power it up with a resource that's replenished through rest. Josh said he made this change because too many bad players were spamming all their spells in every fight, then resting/backtracking to rest. He also stated he removed endurance/health because too many players found it confusing. These are changes he's making to cater to the worst of players, i.e. casualization.
To be honest, I don't like the new spell system as it's been described for now, but I have hope it can turn out not as bad as it seems and maybe even interesting enough.
Now, on the other hand, I liked the health/endurance system and was really disappointed with its removal, and yes it was clearly done in order to casualize the game, which makes it even worse.

Still, I trust PoE2 will be good despite these two step-backs.

Prime Junta

The Sawyer giveth, the Sawyer taketh away.

From the sound of it, moment to moment gameplay will be better -- those keywords, for example -- but strategic resource management will be as good as gone. That's a loss, and it's certainly a loss to casualisation. Casuals can't into strategic resource management.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Josh said he made this change because too many bad players were spamming all their spells in every fight, then resting/backtracking to rest. [...] These are changes he's making to cater to the worst of players, i.e. casualization.
on the other hand sawyer is aware of the player's psychology and knows that losses stick. a weaker but unlimited spell still has that negative connotation the simple minded player is so afraid of. in favor of the more powerful solution of the "loaded" spell the weaker version will be hardly used, and the player is right back at the start where he's in constant need of resting. like endurance was it's just an added layer only there to confuse the worst.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh said he made this change because too many bad players were spamming all their spells in every fight, then resting/backtracking to rest. [...] These are changes he's making to cater to the worst of players, i.e. casualization.
on the other hand sawyer is aware of the player's psychology and knows that losses stick. a weaker but unlimited spell still has that negative connotation the simple minded player is so afraid of. in favor of the more powerful solution of the "loaded" spell the weaker version will be hardly used, and the player is right back at the start where he's in constant need of resting. like endurance was it's just an added layer only there to confuse the worst.

Players are even more afraid of using up limited resources (see potion hoarding) so no.

Last edited:

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
while potions cost gold (neglecting crafting), despite camping supplies resting seems not to be perceived as a limited resource - or as a needed but neglectable nuisance. else there would be no discussion about providing changes to give players ways to sling spells left and right in every encounter. imo only some kind of magic point system or cooldowns will cater to those players.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, I have no doubt there will still be some people who will think "fuck these weaksauce spells, I'm going to alpha strike everything" and spam all their per-rest spells in every encounter, then backtrack to rest.

Quillon

Arcane
I don't get the appeal of casting x number of more powerful versions of the same spells, I will cast the more powerful spell on the next level anyway. Seems to me its additional micromanagement/something I'll ignore except if my party is on brink of death and I'm using whatever I see. Still it doesn't sound like a well thought out quality feature; 3 arbitrary points to empower yourself using the power of the farts in the air... you can only smell so much before you rest.

Also while I like the concept of injuries on top of health(on top of endurance), really wondering how the game will convey 3 injuries = brink of perma death better than a depleted health bar = brink of perma death. You can miss 3 injury icons easily or ignore 2 injuries then when you saw its 3 and then death, its out of nowhere for you etc.

Also why are you guys talking PoE 2 here? :P

Tom Selleck

Arcane
that's a big juicy ball sitting on a tee

"when all ur good 4 is kickstart vapourware lol hella lol" etc.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Why does he have on his Twitter "- Game Designer/Writer, Torment (all 3) [...]"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom