Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Fairfax

Arcane
I disagree. New Reno was great, the best area in FO2 probably, and it didn't clash with the setting beacause FO2 has a more tongue in cheek style in general, more like wasteland. FO2 declined from San Francisco and forward.
FO2 has a more humorous and zany approach, yes, but that's one of the things MCA dislikes about it. He's very critical of pop culture references and breaking the 4th wall. He's said he would've preferred something like FO1, and that the game suffered for the lack of a Creative Director.

He's talked about 90% of these topics before, but that could make it great for those who haven't read/listened to many of his interviews.

I'll listen later and see if there's anything new.

Fairfax

Arcane
Pathfinder interview:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/path...tive-designer-chris-avellone/705297732990609/

Chris is a senior narrative designer on Pathfinder: Kingmaker. As a veteran of the industry he has worked on titles by Black Isle Studios, including Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2 and the Icewind Dale series. He has also worked on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. Recently, he has completed work on Beamdog Studios’ Planescape: Torment – Enhanced Edition and Arkane Studios’ Prey.
18837085_705331662987216_8642331389493244747_o.jpg

We have gathered the community’s most burning questions for Chris about his involvement with Pathfinder: Kingmaker and his thoughts about the Pathfinder universe. Enjoy!

What draws you to the Pathfinder universe?

A few things. The adventure path format (it feels very open-world – go out, explore, find cool things and encounters, and they embrace this in their design), the setting, and the art style, including the iconic characters… I like their character designs very much, and I think Pathfinder is one system that has done a great job in capturing the look and feel of their archetypes and classes.

Which character do you play in tabletop Pathfinder?

In the card game, I usually go with Seoni, Lini, or Lim. In the last Pathfinder game (and this is why I love the system so much), I played a gnome wizard (mostly illusions) con artist who “headed” a band of Ocean’s 11-style thieves (the other players) to pull off heists. I use the term “headed” loosely. We usually got into more trouble than we succeeded, but we had a blast.

Can you tell us about your favourite iconic character?

Even though I usually play other iconic characters, I like Ezren’s backstory the most because it felt unconventional for a wizard, and I liked his persistence and his willingness to shift the course of his life to follow what he believed in.
18891707_705369099650139_7980255721281707781_o.jpg

Why did you choose Kingmaker as the setting for the CRPG? Why the River Kingdoms?

It was the decision made before I came on the project (work had already begun using Kingmaker, and the companions were fleshed out as well – usually biographies and arcs). That said, I don’t have any issues with the setting or the adventure path at all, I think it was a good choice (further confirmed by fan feedback).
I like the Kingmaker adventure path, it makes for an interesting computer role-playing game, the Stolen Lands are a perfect place for building a kingdom from scratch, and even better, the adventure path format gives Owlcat and I “breathing room” to add more narrative and quests without disrupting the classic adventure path itself (for players that know it and love the adventure path, they’ll find plenty of the same characters, areas, and situations, but often with an added element we’ve been able to bring to it on the developer side).

The Kingmaker Adventure Path has its own story. How faithful will the plot of the CRPG be to the AP? Should we prepare for any surprise twists?

Players familiar with the adventure path will be pleased at seeing many of the characters and setting from the pen-and-paper version of Kingmaker, and while there are some changes, I think players will be pleasantly surprised by how these changes complement the existing material – especially the companion interactions and the ways companions interact with some of the elements of the Kingmaker plot.
18839803_705370419650007_544709665280844708_o.jpg

Pathfinder: Kingmaker rewards exploration
Outside of the main plotline, will there be plenty of side quests?

Yes – it’s one of the pillars of Pathfinder to reward exploration, and side quests are a large part of that.

Are we going to encounter iconic characters? Maybe even as companions for our party?

Yes, one of the Pathfinder iconic characters, Amiri, can join your party in Pathfinder. She has some of the best lines in the game so far, and it’s no surprise – she’s fun to write for.

Everybody needs a little love, right? Can we have relationships with our companions?

Yes, but not just romance (just romance is limiting). The companions are with you for a reason, and that reason may change based on your actions – for good or for ill, and they’ll pay attention to your behavior and act accordingly.
18813399_705369372983445_8044821884863268936_n.jpg

Your companions will react to your actions
Being the hero may be fun, but we all know the dark side has cookies. Will there be possibilities to be really, despicably evil?

Yes. And cruel. And cunning. I generally find “smart” evil (ex: talking two enemies into killing each other) to be more fun than demanding more money as a quest reward or being a mass-murderer.

Will our decisions and actions have an impact on the world? Does the story offer replay value, offer different outcomes and endings depending on how we play?

Yes, it’s one of the hallmarks of an RPG, and Kingmaker is no different. We’d like players to play it more than once and get a different experience each time. The companion arcs alone have several options that are shaped throughout the game, and that means the story can change considerably depending on your party composition.

How much creative freedom will we get with quests? Will most of our problems be solved with the sword or will there be alternate, more unorthodox solutions like in tabletop?

Speech and diplomacy (especially in your role in ruling your kingdom) are part of your arsenal, both in the court and on the battlefield. Of course, swordplay is still an option, but you may find other ways to achieve your goals with much different results.

Will companions react to our choices? Let’s say one of our companions is really good, but we keep making evil decisions. Would that companion eventually leave or even betray us?

Yes, alignment clashes (and acting against the principles a companion upholds) would cause them to lose faith in you, leave, or even turn on you. They aren’t simply walking backpacks and stats, they have their own personalities and things they hold dear.

Romances, huh?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

the art style, including the iconic characters… I like their character designs very much, and I think Pathfinder is one system that has done a great job in capturing the look and feel of their archetypes and classes.

Where's your messiah now, Codex?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm open to the possibility that Avellone's jumping on the cartoony train simply because PoE went with more-nearly-realistic designs.

Fairfax

Arcane

the art style, including the iconic characters… I like their character designs very much, and I think Pathfinder is one system that has done a great job in capturing the look and feel of their archetypes and classes.

Where's your messiah now, Codex?
He's not an artist, so I don't think anybody was expecting him to make CRPG art great again. :M

Last edited:

Prime Junta

It is kinda interesting that the Codex hates ur-grog Sawyer and swoons over murdered-by-wolves-on-casual-difficulty Avellone.

Me, I'm still holding on to the faint hope that there's another PS:T in him.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is kinda interesting that the Codex hates ur-grog Sawyer and swoons over murdered-by-wolves-on-casual-difficulty Avellone.

This is not an original observation

Not as true as it used to be though, people are getting increasingly fed up with the new dilettante MCA.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Whetever people are saying, this game has great potential. Great ruleset, Chris as a narrative designer, top down view. I hope the russian devs will grow up to the task.

Last edited by a moderator:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Chris is a writer, not a gameplay programmer, neither a designer on this project and he is doing narrative. Having being kiilled by wolves in another game has nothing of consequence here.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar

Yeah, I've often wondered why isn't there a Josh Sawyer appreciation thread? Or maybe there is one but no one has posted in it in such a long time that it got so far buried that I've never seen it? *shrug*

Sizzle

Arcane

Chris is a writer, not a gameplay programmer, neither a designer on this project and he is doing narrative. Having being kiilled by wolves in another game has nothing of consequence here.

While I love MCA's work, this does point to a bit of a problem - someone who makes video games for a living should be able to understand them well enough to be able to kill a bunch of Level 1 wolves.

A writer should read a lot, a musician should listen to a bunch of music, and a video game writer/designer should play as many video games as possible in order to better experience and analyze them, it's just that obvious and simple.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The reason why there's a Chris Avellone thread is that he left Obsidian. Before that, we posted MCA news in the Obsidian General Discussion Thread.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
murdered-by-wolves-on-casual-difficulty Avellone.

It was normal difficulty actually. He said he refuses to play on the easiest setting in any game because it would make him feel like a wimp.

Yeah, I've often wondered why isn't there a Josh Sawyer appreciation thread?

There was a Roguey vs the Grognards thread that started out as something like that but eventually turned into "Roguey plays Skyrim/Jagged Alliance Deadly Games/Unfinished Business/Baldur's Gate/Silent Storm"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
the problem with avellone is that he's an avid tabletop gamer of the storytelling exp hoarding type
we may've miscalculated his talent in the era when video games were much more tabletop-like in design - he wasn't particularly good at them either, but got away with talking his GMs to death
now his latent fame skews the perspective

The gag is that he didn't have to fight the wolves at all (which are supposed to be a challenge for combat-characters, which he is not). He didn't understand how to travel on the world map after clicking everywhere except the place he needed to go, so he figured that he "had" to fight the wolves to get through.

He did pretty well against the bandits guarding the bridge in the village, but then he accidentally gave his best suit of armor to the shopkeeper while furiously clicking everywhere. He had no patience to learn how to properly interact with the UI.

Fairfax

Arcane

It's not a mystery. Most people here love MCA's writing and design in the games he led (specially PS:T). PoE was supposed to be Sawyer's PS:T, and most people here were disappointed. Sawyer making the sequel more casual doesn't help. Even Roguey is frustrated. :M

the problem with avellone is that he's an avid tabletop gamer of the storytelling exp hoarding type
we may've miscalculated his talent in the era when video games were much more tabletop-like in design - he wasn't particularly good at them either, but got away with talking his GMs to death
now his latent fame skews the perspective

The gag is that he didn't have to fight the wolves at all (which are supposed to be a challenge for combat-characters, which he is not). He didn't understand how to travel on the world map after clicking everywhere except the place he needed to go, so he figured that he "had" to fight the wolves to get through.

He did pretty well against the bandits guarding the bridge in the village, but then he accidentally gave his best suit of armor to the shopkeeper while furiously clicking everywhere. He had no patience to learn how to properly interact with the UI.
He truly hates Arcanum's UI. He said it's "extremely frustrating" and "terrible", which is rare for him to say about something in a game he didn't work on.

Prime Junta

How is exactly is PoE2 being casualized?

Everything per encounter, including spells. Endurance/Health mechanic replaced by a single health bar which always replenishes after combat, with knockout injuries serving the purpose of strategic health management.

Lots of other changes but they're not obvious casualisation, like those two.

edit: roguey'ed

Sizzle

Arcane
Roguey, talking about writers, how do you feel about Eric Fenstermaker coming on board to write Eder?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom