Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Monty

Arcane
B

TOME

Cuckmaster General
B

Let's not offer any theories. It could bias her and hinder her investigation.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
All right, a nice update. More insta-death centipedes everywhere, I wonder how these people sleep ;)

Irene seems popular, and since she has a good chance of biting the dust soon, it would be a shame not to chat with her a bit more. Just so that we have further bitter memories to avenge :P So, B.

Theories? Well...

- There's a large, well armed, and well organized force of hostiles causing havoc. They also have access to strange things, which if aren't supernatural per se, seem pretty damn close.
- They are likely using some of the old ruins scattered about as bases.
- There's a good chance they will attack either the caravan or the village or both, with superior force that will probably be hard to resist.
- There's a decent chance that they were behind the plague that destroyed our home - it wasn't exactly Green Plague; but perhaps Green Plague is also of unnatural origin...
- Since we're not well versed in history and mythology of our beautiful forest kingdom, it's hard to speculate on their exact origin and motives. The forest hides many secrets... But somebody somewhere has to have a clue about insta-death centipedes that grow to unnatural sizes, that's not natural evolution at work.
- Considering the amount of weird sinister shit going on, it's more likely that one driving force is behind all of them - multiple villainous forces with strange powers springing up independently at the same time would be an unlikely coincidence. I.e. there's no such thing as coincidence.
- While I dislike shallow labels such as "evil", they're pretty one-dimensionally malevolent, killing and destroying in ways that show extreme ruthlessness and disregard for human suffering.
- They like to work through employed agents, which are very cunningly not told enough to be an information leak (nice terrorist cell organization practices there, mad props!), and which tend to die in painful ways after performing their task. These guys aren't hiring, not for real - the local populace is either prey or a short-term tool. This suggests an outside origin, since local villains wouldn't be so hell-bent on destroying potential recruits.
- Considering the above, it's less likely that they're a completely new threat that just appeared out of nowhere; we should consider if known history, legend, rumor or mythology holds anything similar.
- Since they're so damn capable at what they do, the fact that they haven't already completely overwhelmed the kingdom suggests that they only started their campaign recently.
- Since they employ air-tight stealth and cleanup, they're clearly avoiding a head-on fight with the kingdom - which again suggests that they fear someone in the capitol or otherwise higher-up in the kingdom has a way of thwarting them. If they are as deadly as they seem, why aren't they openly attacking everything? Instead, they only fight when they have an overwhelming advantage, and make sure the news don't travel too far. In essence, they are slowly cutting off the kingdom at the fringes, slowly weakening and closing in on the heart instead of stabbing for it directly. This is smart, and significant. Are they trying to avoid being recognized until it's too late? Have our parents already crossed paths and blades with them? Who can help us stop them before it's too late?
- In light of such dire portents, you can't help but notice that her hair looks particularly lovely today...

Vernydar

Learned

I obviously cannot say whether what you wrote is right or wrong, but it's nice to see such well argumented speculations anyway :)

I will say one thing, I'm not much into evil, cartoonish villains. Most sentients will have reasons for their actions, be it personal gain or advancement of agendas, not just "MWAHAHA BURN I LOVE TO HEAR SCREAMS OF TERROR"

This of course does not hold true for the occasional psychopath, cultist, or dark god hell bent on consuming the souls of all mankind

- In light of such dire portents, you can't help but notice that her hair looks particularly lovely today...

I feel too much testosterone in the air :smug:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron

I obviously cannot say whether what you wrote is right or wrong, but it's nice to see such well argumented speculations anyway :)
Hey, I'm enjoying the LP, so the speculation comes easy :) I particularly think the way you include all votes and comments in updates is very cool. So, please continue the incline.
:bro:

I feel too much testosterone in the air :smug:
What can I say: long-winded, paranoid and smooth - that's me :P

Vernydar

Learned
That is because I truly want to see what YOU make of Kyoss. And so, if you all make reasonable suggestions, I'm glad to include them.

As a matter of fact, the update I'm going to write now ... ends with an open choice :)

Back in a short while with the update :p B) won by a landslide

Vernydar

Learned
44 – Crossroads

You decide to ask Irene if she would allow you to tag along while she investigates. You are interested in her methods, in what she could learn, and frankly, also in her. She agrees with a smile, and so your interesting day begins.

But before starting with the investigation, you decide to share some of your ideas with her. You tell her what you think about these invaders, how they are cunning, and not averse to using people and then just killing them to hide any possible traces. And also, that you believe that they are quite strong and that this village might be doomed unless some serious defense is put in place. All this was most likely them gathering information before a strike....

You also speculate however that they might not be so sure they can win an open confrontation. Many villages could have been razed already, and instead they seem to be taking their time. So they are either not ready yet, or maybe they do fear something. Maybe even just the fact of becoming known in the surrounding region....

Irene listens politely, and agrees that your hypothesis seem reasonable. But she does caution you that there might also be other possibilities, and that no battle is lost until it's been fought. As such, she suggests you try to approach this situation in a positive, propositive way. But anyway, you think you managed to impress her, at least a bit, with your intelligence and your logic.

You follow Irene for the entire day, as she carefully inspects the places of the murder and of the riot first, and then as she interrogates a few of the people involved. And you feel quite humbled. She seems truly an expert at soothing people's nerves and making them feel comfortable, and then at asking questions that they are not wary of. Though she does not discover, in this single day, anything new compared to what you already knew, she manages to obtain more detailed recollections from nearly everyone, and all that without scaring the people she interrogates.

Apart from this, the day passes in a rather uneventful way, though you do have to admit you enjoy Irene's company quite a bit. She's.. different from the other women you know. Calm, intelligent, cultured. And attractive, yes. Though she's a few years older than you...

You sleep soundly this night, and wake up well before dawn to prepare your things for the journey. Irene comes to say goodbye, as she will stay here to try to find more information about this situation. You prepare all your belongings and then help with overseeing the last few tasks before the caravan can leave.

The caravan is composed of forty people and twenty carts. Lord Tilash will send with you thirty soldiers, mainly taken amongst those that came from the south just yesterday. You, Kalz, and Kalz's men will go with the caravan at least until the crossroad south of here. Kalz will be in command of the caravan at least until that crossroad. There, if everything goes well, you will leave the caravan and head east to Nokos, to work on the second part of your task.

Lord Tilash sees you off, and you think he's sincere when he says it's been a pleasure to know you. You guess you did manage to make a good impression, and that's a good thing. And then, after one last check to the carts, the caravan sets out.

(You have started once again to study the sword and the book of etiquette)

The next three days are rather peaceful as the caravan moves south on the road. You do not meet anyone, there are no quarrels (most assuredly because of the thirty soldiers traveling with you, of course), and you start once again to study your book of etiquette, and to train with Kalz's men in order to improve your sword skills.

As the third day of travel ends, you reach the crossroad where you should leave the caravan in order to head for Nokos. Since it's so late, you decide to pass the night together with them. But the night is not as uneventful as you would have liked.

You toss around in your sleep, wake often, and always you know you dreamed of... something. But, the details of that dream keep eluding you. At last you fall into a deeper slumber. And then you dream again. It is a strange dream, you feel.... not alone. As if there was someone else there, while you're dreaming. It's a strange sensation, and you feel like you're shaking.... as if someone was... shaking you...

You wake up as Kalz shakes you vigorously. It's still night, and you hear a cacophony of noises. Animals, men, things moving around. You are confused for a second, as Kalz shakes you once more.

"Come on, get up Kyoss! We have a big problem! There's a huge storm approaching us, we need to secure the caravan, the animals. And also to find if at all possible a way to find some shelter for ourselves!"

You are now wide awake and notice the strong winds, the first drops of water on your skin, and the churning clouds above you, visible even in the night sky thanks to the frequent flashes up there. It seems you only have a few minutes before the storm arrives. You help Kalz securing a couple of carts, and then take shelter under a tent, along with a few mules. And then the thunderstorm hits you.

And it a terrifying event, with howling winds that threaten to tear apart your very tents, and with a heavy rain mixed with hail. But the most frightening thing are the lightnings that strikes the forest around you. Luckily, the center of the thunderstorm seems to be a bit to the west, maybe even just a couple of kilometers. You see tens and tens of lightnings striking the forest there, in rapid succession, as the rumble of thunder shakes your camp.

The thunderstorm lasts for a couple of hours, and then slowly fades to a drizzling rain. As the sun rises, you see the last clouds moving away, pushed by the rather strong breeze blowing westward.

The camp is in disarray, but nothing serious happened. And today should be the day you leave towards Nokos, following the eastern road.

But do you want to do something else, or maybe to do something before going east? This is an open update, if you don't vote anything, you will just depart for Nokos and travel in the same way you did up to this point. Of course you need to convince Kalz if you want to do something drastically different.

Remember, you can check the map at the start of the thread if you want.

EDIT: the question has been raised whether or not Kyoss should speak directly. For now I didn't have him speak. More info a few posts below.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...multiple-choice-lp.72636/page-36#post-2192609
Please also vote on that

Baltika9

Arcane
Disperse some scouts into the woods, behind and in front of us, about five men to both sides. I feel as if the shit's about to hit the fan, but I hope that's just paranoia playing up.

m4davis

Scholar
go to Nokos but request 3 or 4 guards just incase I wouldn't mind him talking

Baltika9

Arcane
Also, M4davis has a point about us riding to our destination now, but in reverse. We should ride behind the caravan.

Baltika9

Arcane

By the way. Vernydar, do you think that our protagonist could actually speak,as in a human having dialogue. As things stand, he just feels like a cardboard, literally. I, personally, don't get a feel of his character, I don't know how he speaks, his favorite words, his verbal tics. You know, the standard Rp stuff.

Collage

Educated
Well, he's pretty much an empty shell to do with as we please. He'll probably develop more noticeable personality with experience.

Vernydar

Learned

By the way. Vernydar, do you think that our protagonist could actually speak,as in a human having dialogue. As things stand, he just feels like a cardboard, literally. I, personally, don't get a feel of his character, I don't know how he speaks, his favorite words, his verbal tics. You know, the standard Rp stuff.

I actually thought you preferred it better if he didn't speak, because that way you could choose with less constraints how to react to events.

The point is, I want you to be able to change him through your choices.
I do NOT want you to just say: he's calm, so pick choice A. Kyoss traits influence how he reacts to things in the narrative parts I write, but you can and should choose whatever you think is better. RP also means evaluating every situation, not choosing blindly what is "the usual reaction",

So if he is calm, he will react calmly in the parts I write but if there are good reasons, you can and should change his personality. If that particular choice makes sense and is the best you should choose it, and I thought that having him speak would be in the way. But if people prefer him to speak, it's no real problem for me. How about you tell me what you'd like as well? I'll edit the post, adding this question.

That said, the personality traits he has are rather mild for now.
I will state this again, even though it's written in the post at the starting of the thread. If he acquires some very strong personality traits, he WILL act sometimes according to those, at least at first. Like accepting a very lucrative contract if he's really greedy. Then you can regret it later :P

Vernydar

Learned
I will state this again, even though it's written in the post at the starting of the thread. If he acquires some very strong personality traits, he WILL act sometimes according to those, at least at first. Like accepting a very lucrative contract if he's really greedy. Then you can regret it later :P

ScubaV

Prophet
Perhaps we could suggest leaving a scout to hide in the woods by the crossroads. If these enemies are chasing after the caravan he could try to get ahead of them and warn the caravan, or if they overtake the caravan first, at the very least provide a scouting report on their force composition to Lord Medah. As for Kyoss having his dialogue written out, I am ambivalent.

Monty

Arcane
I think the narrative style is fine as it is for now, we're still developing his personality after all.

We have to head for Nokos ASAP to get the next caravan organised, it seems time will be of the essence after recent events, both in terms of acquiring the raw materials and fortifying Bitak. But some more scouts during the day and sentries at night would make sense, as others have suggested.

Baltika9

Arcane
Perhaps we could suggest leaving a scout to hide in the woods by the crossroads. If these enemies are chasing after the caravan he could try to get ahead of them and warn the caravan, or if they overtake the caravan first, at the very least provide a scouting report on their force composition to Lord Medah. As for Kyoss having his dialogue written out, I am ambivalent.
Problem with that is that if it's just one person, and they kill him (with a centipede), we won't know a damn thing. That's why we have to have many, and in both directions.
In fact, the rearguard can act as both scouts, and a hidden ambush, if the attackers come from the front.

Vernydar

Learned
also when can we choose a new "past time"

I am not sure what you mean, mate? You mean pastime?

If you are referring to what you study/practice in your free time, you can change when you want as long as your fellow voters agree.
The sword practice is a long term thing for now. You still have much to learn.
The book of etiquette you almost finished studying. After that you need either a better book, or practice. I thought you'd move to another book.

But if you have some other proposal just make it, if enough people like it I'll change to that, or ask it as a side question in the next update. That is if I understood what you meant with your question.

Vernydar

Learned
Also another thing, quite a few of you like Baltika's scout suggestion, but :
- do you mean, have some scouting done here, and then if the coast is clear move to Nokos?
- or do you want to keep moving with the caravan (which brings you away from Nokos)

Just trying to keep track of the suggestions.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
I like the protagonist voiceless, because a) that's the classic CYOA style (just fooling around with some Lone Wolf books atm), and b) it fits the focus of this particular LP (molding a protagonist from zero and with many underlying character stats). While having fully written out dialogue is nice (e.g. when grotsnik and root write it), it's not by any means required. So, fully voiced protagonists are mandatory only for the popamole imagination-deprived crowd :P

These thunderstorms seem to be unnaturally common lately, I'd like to investigate the eye of the storm (the place west of here, where most of the lightning was striking and towards which the wind was blowing) before leaving the caravan alone. Scout towards it with a few men, tag along if allowed. Could be nothing, could be a sign of inter-dimensional travel by means most foul and sorcerous ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom