Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Carmack accused of stealing Zenimax's tech for Oculus VR

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
If you want to embarrass Metro, you can just randomly quote mine his "Build me a PC" thread. In any case, I hope he is right.
Why? Wouldn't it be cool to finally have VR that works?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you want to embarrass Metro, you can just randomly quote mine his "Build me a PC" thread. In any case, I hope he is right.
Why? Wouldn't it be cool to finally have VR that works?
I am lazy and I play computer games because I am lazy - I bought a laptop so I can play games in bed. Anything that implies actual physical movement irritates me.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The first few generations of VR will do a terrible job of motion tracking.

Maybe there will be decent "Holodeck" type motion trackers eventually but I'm not sure that's gonna be widely available during my lifetime.

Morkar Left

It's basically like working on a job and earning experience while doing it. Then leave the company and get sued for using your experience on a new job

This is the basis of that employer-employee relationship known as the "post-doc".

EDIT: also, remember that ZeniMax's board is staffed by a lot of Entertainment (w/ a capital E) and Hollywood bigwigs, and litigious is often their middle name. The MPAA suits through the early to mid 2000s show how butthurt the studios and principle investors can get.

The point is you can't forbid a software engineer to programm. It's what he learned. For this to count on court you have to be very specific about the work he has done at zenimax and how it is connected to the work at oculus rift or that he physically stole code. I guess that even counts in the USA.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've heard of some pretty crazy contracts that try and do just that, actually. And either way he would have to prove he never worked on that stuff on company time, or that Occulus never used what he did work on. And Zenimax say they have a written confession of the opposite, so... like I said, could get interesting.
The burden of proof is never on the defendant.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've heard of some pretty crazy contracts that try and do just that, actually. And either way he would have to prove he never worked on that stuff on company time, or that Occulus never used what he did work on. And Zenimax say they have a written confession of the opposite, so... like I said, could get interesting.
The burden of proof is never on the defendant.

Zenimax say they have a written confession that some of the code written under their watch was being used. I imagine Carmack is going to have to refute that written statement somehow. The burden of casting doubt on Zenimax's evidence is on him.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Zenimax say they have a written confession that some of the code written under their watch was being used. I imagine Carmack is going to have to refute that written statement somehow. The burden of casting doubt on Zenimax's evidence is on him.
Carmack: I wrote that on my time off.
Judge: Does Zenimax has proof that Carmack was working on this during time paid for by Bethesda?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It also matters a lot what this allegedly stolen code has been used for. Unless it's actually part of a shipped product zionmax will have a hard time getting more than a token payout.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Judge: Does Zenimax has proof that Carmack was working on this during time paid for by Bethesda?

According to them they then say "yes your honor, we have this written stipulation." I'm not sure what you're misunderstanding here.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Does it really work that way? If a lawyer works at a large law firm then he doesn't really have 'off hours.' That is, he can't take on his own clients in his spare time. Obviously programming is a little different but it depends on how his contract is worded. I can easily see it including all programming work created by an individual during the length of the contract.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Does it really work that way? If a lawyer works at a large law firm then he doesn't really have 'off hours.' That is, he can't take on his own clients in his spare time. Obviously programming is a little different but it depends on how his contract is worded. I can easily see it including all programming work created by an individual during the length of the contract.

People here seem to be assuming the mighty Carmack would not have signed such a contract. I am not so sure. Either way Zenimax say they have written confirmation from Occulus that some of their owned IP is involved, so Occulus have to refute that written statement.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
His leverage/clout doesn't seem to relevant. It would be odd to see an employment contract that partitioned 'work' product and 'funsies-time' product. Especially for programmers who often work odd hours. Anyway, Zenimax will win. Why? They have far more money to spend on legal fees than OR.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
His leverage/clout doesn't seem to relevant. It would be odd to see an employment contract that partitioned 'work' product and 'funsies-time' product. Especially for programmers who often work odd hours. Anyway, Zenimax will win. Why? They have far more money to spend on legal fees than OR.
How does stuff like GitHub work then? Is this some kind of corporate slavery or what?

tuluse

Arcane
Carmark wasn't really a programmer anymore at id. He was an executive.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut

I'm reminded of the Bratz case (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Bryant#Legal_actions) In effect, the creator of Bratz dolls (those slut dolls for kids) left Mattel and went to work for MGA. There he "created" the Bratz dolls. Mattel argued the idea was developed while he was at Mattel. That case was initially won by Mattel but eventually did a complete 360 and was won by MGA. A fascinating case, as Mattel argued the creator of Bratz came up with the idea while employed at Mattel.

The same could apply here: Carmack's ideas, if initially created or developed at Zenimax would retain the property of Zenimax, even if he didn't code those ideas out. Well, I am assuming.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There was a similar instance with Parker Brothers or Milton Bradley and one of their/competitor's games. I can't recall what it is now... might have even been Dark Tower?

Edit: Nevermind, it was sort of the reverse situation:

Milton Bradley was sued by two men, Alan Coleman and Roger Burten, who claimed to have presented the original concept for Dark Tower to Milton Bradley in the late 1970s, at which point, MB declined to pursue it, but thereafter "independently" developed the game.[8] One of the Dark Tower game designers claims the court's decision was unfair.[9] As part of the resolution of the lawsuit, Milton Bradley pulled the game off the market, and it was never republished.

While that might technically be true I'm sure they didn't hire him to manage the finances or handle human resources. He's an idea man. And it's entirely possible the contract is worded as such that anything he came up with while under their employ is their property. While that might sound draconian/slavish let's remember that guys like Carmack are being paid precisely for that: their ideas/brainstorming/intellectual output.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
It's funny how so many people put so much stock in an ubernerd legal awareness, probably Carmack had simply go through the motions and signed a standard contract while getting a certain job position based more on paycheck and hierarchy more than the effective role he had in the company.
I guess that will be quicly settled out of court tho, too much bad press for a game company here if things continue.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
He's the most famous games programmer in history. He would name his conditions.

What I can't figure out, is why he wanted to work for them in the first place. He's not exactly poor.

tuluse

Arcane

What I can't figure out, is why he wanted to work for them in the first place. He's not exactly poor.
I'm pretty sure he didn't want to run id anymore. So he sold his company to Bethesda and found something interesting to work on.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

I'm pretty sure he didn't want to run id anymore. So he sold his company to Bethesda and found something interesting to work on.

Okay that makes sense. Normally when they sell their company, they agree to stay for a few years to help with the transition.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Where are you getting this

Carmack wasn't the CEO/GM of id. That was Hollenshead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom