Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

Visbhume

Prophet
When is this game expected to be completed? Is there a date?

I am slightly worried because I would see no real reason not to start out as a wizard (so you can into spellz eventually) and then go whichever direction, be it melee, archery or whatever.

In TDE human non magicians cannot learn magic. So for PC to know healing/buffings spells 9and then gish) you have to start as a wizard.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am slightly worried because I would see no real reason not to start out as a wizard (so you can into spellz eventually) and then go whichever direction, be it melee, archery or whatever.

In TDE human non magicians cannot learn magic. So for PC to know healing/buffings spells (and then gish) you have to start as a wizard.
Only reason I can consider to avoid wizards- Magic is for pussies and we ain't no pussy!

15668.jpg

Only reason I can consider to avoid wizards- Magic is for pussies and we ain't no pussy!

Played it for about three hours today.

Man this game is great. Really well constructed, and hard to put down. If I didn't have chores staring me in the face I'd still be playing. I don't know how I feel about the experience system yet... but I think I like it. I don't know if it becomes more abundant late game, but early on at least, there's some real stress on where to put your points. Loving the combat system and a lot of the encounter designs. Those fuckhead dwarves lock you in a dungeon with nothing and you have to fight your way out with cudgels... and you can really use the environment to your benefit there. Seriously, I can't get enough of the combat. The rest of the game seems fine. It's straightforward, but enough motivation to get you from place to place. The only minor qualm I have is with the camera, but it's very minor. I wish pushing the mouse to the edge of the screen would move it instead of having to use WASD to move it around. Other than that, no glaring issues so far. Also, how long is this damn thing? Solid 40+ hours? I know the last chapter hasn't been released yet, but I was just curious as to those who have gotten pretty far, how many hours are you logging?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm feeling Roguey-levels of smug concerning my predictions regarding this game :smug:

(inb4 everything after chapter 3 is utter shit)

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Steam says Ive played 28 hours after finishing chapter 4. Dunno if it counts reloading, but I didnt reload that much anyway. But I didnt finish 2 or maybe 3 sidequests so it could even out at about 30 hours.
If dwarfs are too hard you can do em later. I did. Its a sidequest anyway.
And ye, its freaking addictive. It just gets better and better with combat challenges.

Steam says Ive played 28 hours after finishing chapter 4. Dunno if it counts reloading, but I didnt reload that much anyway. But I didnt finish 2 or maybe 3 sidequests so it could even out at about 30 hours.
If dwarfs are too hard you can do em later. I did. Its a sidequest anyway.
And ye, its freaking addictive. It just gets better and better with combat challenges.
Oh I ended up doing it. It was tough, but felt good killing those fuckers.

Started diversifying my spells a bit, and glad I did. There is a good bit of depth to the combat. Debuffs seem pretty valuable. I've played around 4 hours so far - I think it's excellent. I definitely recommend.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My Steam-Clock says 51 hours after finishing chapter 4 (with all sidequests):
4-6 hours replay time for difficult levels included.
I played on normal difficulty.

QhGSzit.png

sser

Arcane
Developer
Played around in the first Act - seems pretty decent so far. Difficulty of fights ramping up a bit, but nothing overwhelming yet. Very worth the $12 I paid for it, anyway. Makes me wish Chaos Chronicles was still on the tab.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
My Steam-Clock says 51 hours after finishing chapter 4 (with all sidequests):
4-6 hours replay time for difficult levels included.
I played on normal difficulty.

QhGSzit.png
What did you play as? Seems playing a Hunter/Ranger makes it a bit easy mode if it took me 20 hours less to finish it.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
And she gets bonus points for being a crack addict. A real flower child :smug:
Her buffs are pretty powerfull if I may add. Creates a fast little killing machine from our dwarven friend.

imweasel

Yeah just looked at some videos on Youtube. Looks amazing... I have an erection.
Indeed. I could punch holes in the wall with my erection. One of the best looking games I have seen in a long time ever.

BTW, does anybody know how high the budget is for this game?

Gord

Arcane

In TDE human non magicians cannot learn magic.
Nope, there is still Borbarad's blood magic.

In PnP there's also untrained magic users (at least there was in 3rd ed.) which can use their innate ability for a few simple spells and to enhance some rolls, charlatans, which are non-formally trained illusionists usually working as entertainers and of course elves (but they don't really count here).
PnP had pretty strong restrictions, like iron armor being detrimental to casting abilities and esp. stuff like (legal and cultural) bans and limitations regulating the use of certain weapons and armors for magic users (which was of course an attempt at balancing them).

skyst

Augur
Started diversifying my spells a bit, and glad I did. There is a good bit of depth to the combat. Debuffs seem pretty valuable. I've played around 4 hours so far - I think it's excellent. I definitely recommend.

Many of the rank 4 versions of spells really mix it up, too. For instance, the haste and slow equivalent spells have the greatest effect at rank 3 on a single target, but the rank 4 will hit either the entire party or all enemies, respectively. The basic fire bolt changes to a conical attack, fireball's radius greatly expands, the heal changes from healing ~50hp to ~25 + a heal over time for the next few rounds, etc. I was quite pleased to see how they implemented that instead of just bigger numbers for the highest level.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What did you play as? Seems playing a Hunter/Ranger makes it a bit easy mode if it took me 20 hours less to finish it.

I play as a fighter/tank with no magic and ranged weapon skills -> just the good old longsword :)

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Ye, spells are cool but most of them I didnt bother using. Heal mostly and buff/debuff spells plus situational clone.That cold shock spell is OP on lv4, pretty awesome to watch too, I didnt bother with it till one mage raped me with it. F9 baby. Clone is a godsend in some maps and I used it mostly for pathblocking and damage soaking.
I find mana/astral points pretty balanced too, you cant spam high level spells and dice can always fuck you up. I had fails at 99% chance sometimes by my both mages. Or having 90% to hit chance and miss 3 times in a row.

I play as a fighter/tank with no magic and ranged weapon skills -> just the good old longsword :)
I can see some fights easier with tanks, but those flower fights must have been alot of fun. ;)

AbounI

Colonist
Patron

This archetype is very enjoyable IMO, I play the same kind of PC.There's enough skills for that

Have to say I encounter an embarrassing bug:
I can improve "Agility" value of Takate by one point.Doing this, it should improve his speed value by 1 point, which is already at 9 (with 4 blue square in the speed bar).By purchasing one "agility" point, the bar is fullfilled, but it doesn't grant him one more speed point.The new value is still at 9, and the progression bar is reseted.Normally the new speed value should be 10, not 9.

Unless someone can confirm the speed value is limited to 9?I don't know

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Seems its limited to 9, and only Agility improves it besides buffs/items.
Heres my Takate.
twAN4aP.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom