Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda to develop and publish Fallout 3?

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Worm said:
What odds? The games it previously made not being bad attempts at Fallout (ala Trioka)?

What fucking odds?? LOL!! anyone want to lay numbers that abortion # 3 is going to be
any good when stacked up to the first two games?
I'll start at about 1000 to 1 against.
you don't reinvent the wheel, and you don't remake or reinvent Fallout..
It just isn't going to happen, the times, the trends, the industry have changed too much.

Worm

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Worm said:
Yes, you are right. BethSoft isn't as much people who think and understand what Fallout is as they are robots who produce the same type of game over and over because they lack the intellectual ability to know to make a sequel to a game like the ones that came before it.ideas.
Bethsoft is a business. They would make a similar game not because they can't do anything else, but because they think it would sell better, and they are right. It probably would.
Well you can just sit and lament the current state of RPGs and I'm going to look forward to a game that I don't think will get screwed up.

Worm

Liturgist
Sheriff05 said:
Worm said:
What odds? The games it previously made not being bad attempts at Fallout (ala Trioka)?

What fucking odds?? LOL!! anyone want to lay numbers that abortion # 3 is going to be
It just isn't going to happen, the times, the trends, the industry have changed too much.
Okay, is there anything in there that isn't your personal opinion?

Lasakon

Liturgist
Worm said:
Vault Dweller said:
Worm said:
Yes, you are right. BethSoft isn't as much people who think and understand what Fallout is as they are robots who produce the same type of game over and over because they lack the intellectual ability to know to make a sequel to a game like the ones that came before it.ideas.
Bethsoft is a business. They would make a similar game not because they can't do anything else, but because they think it would sell better, and they are right. It probably would.
Well you can just sit and lament the current state of RPGs and I'm going to look forward to a game that I don't think will get screwed up.
Have fun being isolated.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
Yeah, this is my point, you don't always have meaningful interaction with everyone.

lack of meaning does not impose the condition of being generic. npcs that had nothing meaningful to say offered no information on any given subject in fallout. in morrowind, any given npc would share their pre-generated thoughts, which were the exact same as every other npc in the gameworld, on any given subject. it's disconcerting and immersion-breaking. it's also odd to hear slave owners partially sympathize with the plight of slaves and the twin lamps.

such indepth discussion would imply meaning, which was negated by the use of wikipedia.

Okay, so the Bishop girls were fucking you why? Everyone confided their problems in you why? Sometimes there were reasons, sometimes you were the latest Hero Type to be through town.

my pc never banged one of the bishop grrls, as she was female and did not choose to continue that thread. it was a way in which my pc could define her relationship with the gameworld and once chosen couldn't go back on.

various npcs shared their problems with the pc if the player chose the suitable skills to make that happen, chose the proper dialogue responses and chose to take an interest in said npc and information.

three words appeared in the above sentence that was the greatest strength of fallout. a little hint, is isn't 'the'.

Uhh okay, honey. I'm not making that argument. I'm saying that is what TES provides instead of totally awesome talking. It's a different type of RPG. Oh you don't enjoy it? Okay.

i may refer to the lower castes with such language. you may address me as mr.

i dislike the fact i'm having to constantly refine your statements and make them coherent just so you can play with the rest of the kids here. a little initative on your part would be most welcome and indeed refreshing. i'm beginning to see you're more of a click,click,click junkie but try not to maintain the same relationship with your keyboard when using it for text, not real-time combat.

who said i don't 'like the game'? i'm rather fond of my dark elven bedouin. she was fun to level up and the fact she can absolutely ruin anyone's shit all by her lonesome is neat. the game itself is lonely and desolate but having a pc that is the baddest muthafucka in the land does have an upside.

Worm

Liturgist
mr. lamat said:
i may refer to the lower castes with such language. you may address me as mr.
Wow, you're a message board maniac.

It is a lonely game, it's not Fallout. Why even discuss this if you know if your heart and mind that they will totally botch this?

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Worm said:
Sheriff05 said:
Worm said:

We were discussing something else other than each of our opinions?
anyway the last line is pretty undisputable..things have changed quite abit from 1997
and definitely for the worse when it comes to CRPGS.

Worm

Liturgist
Sheriff05 said:
Worm said:
Sheriff05 said:
Worm said:

We were discussing something else other than each of our opinions?
anyway the last line is pretty undisputable..things have changed quite abit from 1997
and definitely for the worse when it comes to CRPGS.
Yeah, but you're saying your opinions some how bleed into the world of truth. Odds are it has just as much chance of being good as it has of being bad.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So worm, you're saying that having a "choice" on how to percieve a situation and complete something is nice? You dont normally get those in a Bethesda game or something? Cause the way you're saying it, it sounds like it's a nice addition, but not a normal feature.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
It is a lonely game, it's not Fallout. Why even discuss this if you know if your heart and mind that they will totally botch this?

tri-critical and myself are probably one of the few who didn't condemn the game right off the bat. using the freedom force engine and having the same mod capacity as morrowind might make for something decent. anything is possible.

i'm just having fun at your expense because you're an 'asshat'.

Worm

Liturgist
Major_Blackhart said:
So worm, you're saying that having a "choice" on how to percieve a situation and complete something is nice? You dont normally get those in a Bethesda game or something? Cause the way you're saying it, it sounds like it's a nice addition, but not a normal feature.
They make their own kind of RPGs. Some people like them some don't. To believe that they immediately and completely are compelled by some unearthly force or by caplisitic pigheaded greed to produce a game that is painfully unlike the originals is pretty dumb. They didn't call BOS Fallout 3 for a reason. These guys didn't win the Fallout name, they won the Fallout legacy. I don't think they are going to do it wrong.

Lasakon

Liturgist
Worm said:
Major_Blackhart said:
They make their own kind of RPGs. Some people like them some don't. To believe that they immediately and completely are compelled by some unearthly force or by caplisitic pigheaded greed to produce a game that is painfully unlike the originals is pretty dumb. They didn't call BOS Fallout 3 for a reason. These guys didn't win the Fallout name, they won the Fallout legacy. I don't think they are going to do it wrong.
Um... they bought the Fallout name. They haven't won a damn thing yet. Unless you take GotY awards seriously.

Worm

Liturgist
mr. lamat said:

tri-critical and myself are probably one of the few who didn't condemn the game right off the bat. using the freedom force engine and having the same mod capacity as morrowind might make for something decent. anything is possible.
Wow, you didn't immediately dismiss it? I love how open minded this place gets.
mr. lamat said:
i'm just having fun at your expense because you're an 'asshat'.
Uhuh. Well, bambi, I guess I'm just trying to say that a belief that you know what will happen in the future based on second hand consumerism experience is idiocy.

Worm

Liturgist
Lasakon said:
Um... they bought the Fallout name. They haven't won a damn thing yet. Unless you take GotY awards seriously.
Well quick guys, let's not give them a chance. If you start up about the game negatively you're not going to be able to enjoy even if it is good. I mean christ, this feels like I'm arguing with Nazi Germany just give them half a damn chance.

taks

Liturgist
mr. lamat said:
tri-critical and myself are probably one of the few who didn't condemn the game right off the bat.
uh, two actually :mrgreen: unless you and tri are the same person???

count me as three though i am skeptical... the one positive i can clearly see is that the bethsoft people WILL most definitely hear from the chorus of fallout fans before all is said and done... now what they choose to do with that information is anybody's guess...

taks

Fallout is not a good game.
You people are silly monkeys and are fat. You fat monkeys should go eat banana's cause your fat monkeys.
fat_monkey_redo.JPG

Worm

Liturgist
Major_Blackhart said:
Worm, if we were open minded, we wouldnt be the codex.
I think it's more that everyone here is specifically close minded and believes that a few years of consumerism and gaming give them some sort of special iindustry insight.

Shevek

Arcane
Major_Blackhart said:
Worm, if we were open minded, we wouldnt be the codex.

Bahaha

Edit.
Worm said:
I think it's more that everyone here is specifically close minded and believes that a few years of consumerism and gaming give them some sort of special iindustry insight.

Well, its more than a few years. Many here have cRPG playing experience that goes back a decade or two. Some have development experience as well. Several have had a healthy amount of dialog with industry professionals. I think you will find that people at the Codex not only ask questions but they ask the right ones. A good way to gauge the site would be to take a look at our spirited discussions with Cain and Gaider. Also, take a look at the well done reviews on this site and how the reviewers manage to look beyond what reviewers often look to.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Worm said:
Yeah, the NPCs in Morrowind are information kiosks and quest chances. Though the NPCs in Fallout are usually your number one fan (unless you play a retard) and quest chances. Sure there was a load of great writing that went into the characters. Though there was just the same amount of creativity that went into the Daggerfall and Morrowind worlds.

Firstly, people are not web browsers, which is what Morrowind's NPCs feel like.

Secondly, it's far more realistic to have a stranger run up to you and ask you for help finding their daughter than it is to have a stranger start spouting off about the flora and fauna of the region. At least in games like Fallout, not every stranger will tell you the same thing or request the same things from you. In Morrowind, every person in a town has the same "information koisk" interaction level. The only thing worse than running across yet another NPC with the same information kiosk options was having to scroll through all of them to make damned sure this particular one didn't have a new option for some unknown reason.

Thirdly, NPCs in Fallout were your number one fans if you had a positive rep, an average to good Charisma, didn't have any bad karmatic traits, a decent intelligence, and so forth. Care to explain to me how that's worse than Morrowind's MARCH OF ENCYCLOPAEDIA CLONES?

Worm

Liturgist
Shevek said:
Well, its more than a few years. Many here have cRPG playing experience that goes back a decade or two. Some have development experience as well. Several have had a healthy amount of dialog with industry professionals. I think you will find that people at the Codex not only ask questions but they ask the right ones. A good way to gauge the site would be to take a look at our spirited discussions with Cain and Gaider. Also, take a look at the well done reviews on this site and how the reviewers manage to look beyond what reviewers often look to.
That guy down there is a mod, does that make you wrong? Hell, benefit of the doubt, you may have insight, but you do indeed lack future predicting capabilities.
Major_Blackhart said:
It doesnt give us any kind of insight, but we do know what we like, and that's choice and depth.

Generally Adressing The Board:
Just say that you all are incredibly negative about BethSoft making a game because you didn't like their previous games. Don't act like you know what they are going to do though.

Worm

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Worm said:
Yeah, the NPCs in Morrowind are information kiosks and quest chances. Though the NPCs in Fallout are usually your number one fan (unless you play a retard) and quest chances. Sure there was a load of great writing that went into the characters. Though there was just the same amount of creativity that went into the Daggerfall and Morrowind worlds.

Firstly, people are not web browsers, which is what Morrowind's NPCs feel like.

Secondly, it's far more realistic to have a stranger run up to you and ask you for help finding their daughter than it is to have a stranger start spouting off about the flora and fauna of the region. At least in games like Fallout, not every stranger will tell you the same thing or request the same things from you. In Morrowind, every person in a town has the same "information koisk" interaction level. The only thing worse than running across yet another NPC with the same information kiosk options was having to scroll through all of them to make damned sure this particular one didn't have a new option for some unknown reason.

Thirdly, NPCs in Fallout were your number one fans if you had a positive rep, an average to good Charisma, didn't have any bad karmatic traits, a decent intelligence, and so forth. Care to explain to me how that's worse than Morrowind's MARCH OF ENCYCLOPAEDIA CLONES?
Morrowind wasn't Fallout, AGREED!

Meghan

Novice
ok whichever one of you bad boys have kidnapped the Bethesda forums, put them back right now and we won't have to get the feds involved.

If you accidentally happen to kidnap Ralph Nader in the process I'm sure no one would mind ....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom