Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Genius. If I had the capital, I'd invest in a similar service, albeit premium and aimed at western weaboo manchildren. Can you imagine what they would pay for finally being able to play their precious games with the asian jailbait of their dreams, addressing them as "Onii-chan"? Guaranteed return on investment after first week of operation.
It would be hard to retain staff.

I actually think it's recruitment that would be difficult. You'd be operating under more constraints than the Chinese companies (communicative English, for one). Retention would just be a question of providing sufficient benefits, up to and including company sponsored therapy sessions.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Genius. If I had the capital, I'd invest in a similar service, albeit premium and aimed at western weaboo manchildren. Can you imagine what they would pay for finally being able to play their precious games with the asian jailbait of their dreams, addressing them as "Onii-chan"? Guaranteed return on investment after first week of operation.
I believe there already was a company renting out girls to play with on Xbox Live a few years ago, but I can't remember what they were called. I think their target market was the frat-bro gamer rather than weeaboos though.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/03/22/would-you-pay-a-girl-to-play-halo-with-you

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I believe there already was a company renting out girls to play with on Xbox Live a few years ago, but I can't remember what they were called. I think their target market was the frat-bro gamer rather than weeaboos though.
Poor market research, frat bros are not nearly desperate enough to keep paying for such a service.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
13387.jpg

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Nonsense I'm way better than that guy.

I'd have actually used the fucking sword feature of my giant robot from the start.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226700/discussions/0/540736587095570437/

Installed and immediately deleted

Well, i bought this game yesterday for 1,50€ and installed it today.
I tried it for about 20 minutes and i kinda liked the landscaped, while the interiors of the buildings admittedly sucked.
However, i got shot at minute 21. I didnt have a weapon, i didnt have any items, i didnt have ♥♥♥♥.

Thats not my definition of fun. So, i deleted the game.

Someday only KOSler will be left. Have fun with your kind.

:butthurt:

-

yBpnna.png

Ok, I will.

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
You know, they really should add disclaimers to all these survival games. Maybe something along the lines of "other players will shoot you for no reason at all. If you're a massive faggot, don't buy this game."

It's getting tiresome how people buy these games and then get angry about how they got shot. This is the case in all these games and it will never change. It's like back in my WoW days all the faggots running into STV and then bitching because some high level Horde ganked them.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You know, they really should add disclaimers to all these survival games. Maybe something along the lines of "other players will shoot you for no reason at all. If you're a massive faggot, don't buy this game."

It's getting tiresome how people buy these games and then get angry about how they got shot. This is the case in all these games and it will never change. It's like back in my WoW days all the faggots running into STV and then bitching because some high level Horde ganked them.

Uh... don't play in PVP server?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Uh... don't play in PVP server?

You would think people would think of this, but they don't want to play in a PvE server. They want PvP, just not when they're the ones being ganked. I ran with a group of people from my guild at some point who bitched endlessly about being ganked by high level players, but went out of their way to gank any low levels they met.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Razorfist calls out on Obsidian fanboys in the Codex (at 5:40):

He does have a point. Signing a contract or agreeing on a deadline and then failing to deliver/bitching about it is quite silly.

I wonder why he censored LeStryfe79 's name...

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
"they get to choose what contract they sign"

newsflash, you retarded metalhead, you either sign the fucking contract or you lay off people, or worse, close the studio.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

newsflash, you retarded metalhead, you either sign the fucking contract or you lay off people, or worse, close the studio.
Is not really that simple. Sure, you sometimes have to sign bad contracts to stay afloat, but if you're hired to develop a game in a year but miss the deadline due bad management, it's all your fault. Vide Double Fine for a perfect example of a developer doing that by itself, with 8 times the initial budget and no publisher around. That's why Obisidian consider Dungeon Siege 3 such a success... they were hired, made the game and everything went well... unlike New Vegas or Kotor II, even if those are better games.

Declinator

Arbiter

There would have been more and better contract offers if their past products had been successful enough. If they "had to" accept the contract it was ultimately their own fault. Obsidian is not entitled to good contracts and Bethesda is not obligated to offer them either.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In the context of kotor 2 Obsidian was told they could have an extension then management at Lucas Arts changed and they rescinded it. Not exactly just failing to make a game in time.

No excuses for nwn2 though. That was obsidian putting the wrong person in charge.

I don't know what happened with Alpha protocol, but I bet it would make a lovely post mortem.

The rest of their games have been delivered on time and in a finished state.

I guess not south park, but that was Matt and Trey who delayed it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
With AP when the project lead quit they massively retooled the game. I don't know the exact details either and yeah, I'd absolutely love a post mortem because AP is a really fun game in spite of all its problems.

Like I keep saying, Razorfist is a moron. Developers really do get screwed over by publishers all the time. In fact, independent developers are more likely to get screwed over because the publisher isn't concerned with the developer or their reputation long term. With in-house studios, the publisher has a motivation to keep them afloat so they can keep pumping out games. Yes, there are obviously cases of developers failing to deliver what was promised (Molyneux), or just making shit games and calling them great (Bioware), but that doesn't mean that every case of a shit game is now and forever always on the developer's head.

Furthermore, Obsidian fanboys tend to actually know the whole story about why their games turn out the way they do and guess what? KOTOR2 is pretty much the only case where it's known that the publisher had a hand in screwing them over (and it's still ultimately Feargus's fault for not getting the contract extension in writing). So I don't even know where this "blame the publisher" mantra is supposed to be coming from. Obsidian has done a great job of going from their early games, which really were a mess, to now, when they typically release a very solid product with few bugs that get patched a day or so after release. Stick of Truth was a pretty fucking solid game - it may not have been the most complex thing in the world, and it was pretty short, but it was pretty much perfect at what it tried to be (a Paper Mario-like South Park episode). And in spite of this, Obsidian is still getting called out from the press for their 'buggy' releases and you have RPS saying they should apologize in an interview. Meanwhile Bethesda can release this

And nobody so much as bats a fucking eye. I'm getting pretty fucking sick of this shit.

OK, got that out of my system. Feels better.

Grim Monk

Arcane
I found his rage because Obsidian had fans to be very amusing, personally.
Link?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6KxCSWGRu4

Here is what irritates me about that video:

Razorfist about Obsidian said:
The one and only enterprise they are remotely qualified for is generating "pie in the sky" amorphous Über concepts that sound appealing in theory but invariably arrive in glitch addled and truncated form.

He both stated the reason why people love Obsidian, and promptly ignored it.

The reason why people love Obsidian is precisely because they are not like Quantic Dream & Peter Molyneux.

To put it bluntly: They Do Deliver.

The games they make DO contain the :incline: of decent writing and C&C...

That's also the reason people "finish their games for them".

A rough gem is still a gem...
People know this, and are willing do the polishing themselves.

A turd is still a turd no matter the amount of polish.

Last edited:

There would have been more and better contract offers if their past products had been successful enough. If they "had to" accept the contract it was ultimately their own fault. Obsidian is not entitled to good contracts and Bethesda is not obligated to offer them either.

Possibly, but given that Bioware couldn't get a decent timeframe for DA2 from their EA owners, I wouldn't bet on it. Good crpgs aren't exactly big money these days - if anything there seems to be an inverse relationship. Moreover, game publishing is an oligopoly - the publisher has a massive number of alternate developers they can work with instead (again, all the publisher cares about is the $$$), whereas the developer only has a handful of publishers to choose from. For a crpg there might literally be no other publisher that's interested in that kind of game....and there's NO publishers that are interested in 'good' crpgs by Codex standards.

And even if none of that was the case, the publishers have an incentive not to weaken their bargaining position with other developers by offering better or more flexible contracts. With a choice between blowing off Obsidian and making just as much money (or more) by funding a different game, or giving them a better contract and not only paying more in this particular case but also encouraging other developers to get uppity, why would they choose the latter?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom