Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Isn't there already a shitload of mods that have "additional content" for Baldur's Gate 2? (new quest/areas)

Oesophagus

Arcane
A modernized Baldur's Gate series, plus both Wasteland 2 and Double Fine's new adventure being successfully crowdsourced.. all in the same year? Crossing my fingers, but this might be a sign of good things to come.:incline:

It's still a drop of water in an ocean of decline. These games would have to generate some serious revenue to change how publishers think. And while it's encouraging to see the response to Wasteland 2 and BG, you have to remember that it's the bioware fanbase that is stupid enough to pay 10 bucks for "new armor" DLC.

Linkamus

Educated
A modernized Baldur's Gate series, plus both Wasteland 2 and Double Fine's new adventure being successfully crowdsourced.. all in the same year? Crossing my fingers, but this might be a sign of good things to come.:incline:

It's still a drop of water in an ocean of decline. These games would have to generate some serious revenue to change how publishers think. And while it's encouraging to see the response to Wasteland 2 and BG, you have to remember that it's the bioware fanbase that is stupid enough to pay 10 bucks for "new armor" DLC.

:bro:

Malpercio

Arcane
I'm happy for the BG1 Enchanted Port, it aged pretty badly and it could use an improvement. (mainly, more banters between party members and areas filled with more NPCs/quests)

Beside, BG1 shitsux so even if they screw up who cares!

Stabwound

Arcane
The thing is, as far as I'm concerned the Baldur's Gate Trilogy which ports BG1 into the BG2 engine, along with the resolution mod bring the game into the 21st century already.

Whatever. I guess we'll see what the screenshots look like next week. And having an updated Infinity Engine (he even says saves will be compatible) is not a bad thing.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

To be fair, the Bioware fans of today and the people who enjoy the BG series and other IE games are two very different groups.

They will be sticking with the D&D 2E ruleset, so that's good.

Renegen

Arcane
Posting from Neogaf thread.

tre32ks6.png

(also RPGCodex, if we really are #1, we should be the first to scoop new RPG information)

Cynic

Arcane
I'm REALLY interested to see the screens. Being that mods have solved every single thing that this Enchantment edition is riding on, they're going to really have to impress with the grafix to warrant more expenditure (and time investment) on my part. I am truly hoping they ditch the shitty 2D avatars in favour of 3D models with good animations. Keep the pre rendered backgrounds, clean them up, get some better textures in there by all means, but the avatars need some majestic enchantment that's for sure.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Well, this project is really unnecessary. Wasn't really expecting anything, yet another cash cow attempting to capitalize on hype and word of mouth.

I don't give a fuck whether or not they change their business models, these initiatives simply allow studios to bypass them altogether, such that niche games with better budgets can actually be made without compromising to satisfy the hordes of CoD obsessed morons.

Dexter

Arcane
I'm REALLY interested to see the screens. Being that mods have solved every single thing that this Enchantment edition is riding on, they're going to really have to impress with the grafix to warrant more expenditure (and time investment) on my part. I am truly hoping they ditch the shitty 2D avatars in favour of 3D models with good animations. Keep the pre rendered backgrounds, clean them up, get some better textures in there by all means, but the avatars need some majestic enchantment that's for sure.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/331012-baldur-s-gate-windows-screenshot-our-story-begins-here-outside.png
http://www.gamerdna.com/uimage/giHrvgx/full/bg1wsm-jpg.jpg

You see a difference? Widescreen Mods & Co only make shit small and let u see more black areas and fog of war on the screen, they have the original Source and likely the original assets and can make shit look pretty without zooming out 300% to satellite view.
Also I don't care what some of you guys think but large parts of the UI was terribad and there have been improvements to UI and usability in the last 15 years that they hopefully use, don't need to change the game or the systems at all... but that UI and inventory...

Cynic

Arcane
ugh well that's fucking underwhelming it that's all Enchantment Edition has to offer. Can you verify that this is an actual screen from their version?

Stabwound

Arcane
That's just from the widescreen mod for BG1, not the new "ENHANCED EDITION".

Dexter

Arcane
No it's not, they'll release Screens next week, that was comparison of normal BG1 Screen to Widescreen Mod ppl have been mentioning that zooms all out instead of having high res art lol

Anyway there's more Info on his Twitter, if you want to ask him something he seems to answer questions:
http://twitter.com/#!/trentoster

#bgee is a Beamdog exclusive. As for other platforms, tune is same time next week hopefully with 100% less explosions​

We take mods seriously. (I led NWN after all) mods both current and future are important. More announcements to come​
1st rule of #bgee Don't break the fun. We're using the 2nd Edition D&D rules.​

We'll be rolling screens out in the future. Same place, Same time next week. Hopefully less server fires. #bgee

Yes, Infinity Enhanced is based off the latest Throne of Bhall codebase. #wildmageFTW#bgee

There will be two games. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition #bgee=BG+TotSC, bg2ee=bg2+ToB​

We're very interested in supporting the modding community and hopefully kicking off even more mods #bgee

If by today's graphics standards you mean lots of 3D rendering, no. We're 2D isometric all the way​
We want #BG3 as well. #bgee is a part of the master​

We're going to stay with the BG model of only voicing some of the content. We feel it allows for more in-depth writing.​

"I'd love it if you could say, will #BGEE have an updated Multiplayer system work with modern connections easier?"​
We're going to fix the broken bits.​

"Can you at least explain this more in-depth? David Warner (aka Jon Irenicus) was brilliant, I loved his work in-game."​
We are not removing any content, just not going to 100% VO for new characters. #bgee

"Thinking of changing the music ? You've lost a fan already. Can't think of anyone who could capture the essence of BG's ost."​
we would never change the music. #bgee

"Will you change the interface? I think the ruleset is fine, it's the interface that made it so goddamn complicated"​
There have been great for interface improvements since BG. #bgee will be getting some help in this area. #thefontistoodamnsmall

We'll be talking more on platform in later weeks. Right now we're focusing on the PC #bgee

"Any word on how the game looks compared to Baldur's Gate with widescreen mod right now? Same or different/better?"​
it will be better. We've got the code to rework the UI and rendering #bgee #baldursgate
etc.​

Cynic

Arcane
Ah right, well, still cynical but back to cautious cynicism rather than full blown codexian butt hurt.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
What's wrong with the old BG ui? The only real annoyance was the location of the sleep icon and that has long been fixed.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
I'm kinda liking the idea of this. We'll have to wait for exact details but the approach of taking the source code and simply fixing the stuff that can't be fixed by mods (I hope they can do something about the pathfinding) is certainly preferable to remaking the whole thing in 3D or shit like that. Imagine an enhanced TOEE, without shit like corruptable savegames.
Being cautiously sceptical is reasonable and I will stay that way as well until we know more. But fixing unresolved shit without wonky mod workarounds sounds pretty good to me.
Now if they could only make the combat turnbased, I'd jizz into my own face, but a man can dream, right?:(

Nex

Cipher
What's wrong with the old BG ui? The only real annoyance was the location of the sleep icon and that has long been fixed.
I agree, I had no problem with the UI. How retarded would you have to be to find it confusing? I seriously doubt they will provide more content than the current mass of mods do( which are free) and I could not care less about any graphics updates as the current graphics are fine. Seems to be not much more than a money grab. They will not make it turn based and I never really had a pathfinding issue, sure it was not great but you ending up using pause so much anyways that you manually control your characters.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
I was mostly thinking of BG2. Traversing the streets of Athkatla could get VERY annoying.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
I was mostly thinking of BG2. Traversing the streets of Athkatla could get VERY annoying.
Thats why you enable cheat keys to CTRL-J to your destination of choice. Besides I dont recall BG2 having bad pathfinding either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom