Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The Arkham series managed to make popamole fun. It's not particularly difficult even on hard, but it's just great fun to build combos and use special takedowns. It's really great they have the challenge maps to take it to the next level.
I agree 100%.

I was kneejerk annoyed at it being called dumb popamole. But really, I'm comfortable with it being popamole. It is definitely popamole (well really it's in the beat-em-up category) that's not as complex as Devil May Cry or the like. But it's quite definitely much better than a lot of other really popamole games.

I have admitted (A) A lot of the reason I play the game is because I like Batman and (B) I find it is very refined popamole.

Never have I said the Arkham series is excellent or high-brow or anything.

So if you're gonna criticize me liking popamole, then you're barking up the wrong tree. I don't think it's greatest game ever, I just enjoy it with subjective reasons.

Arkham games are great because they aren't your traditional action games where the protagonist is grossly overpowered. Sure you get to a point where Batman can take on half a dozen thugs at once but (assuming you play on decent difficulty settings) you can't do that without a bit of pre-planning, snares, cc's, gadgets, etc. That is, you can't just dive into a pile and hit A for awesome or you'll die in fairly short order.
The one thing I really don't like is that you can't turn off the Counter Hint in Arkham City at all, no matter what difficulty, until you start New Game+. Now, you can in Origins but it's a good amount shittier in combat (as I explained earlier so meh).

I really hope Counter Hints are a toggle-able option in Arkham Knight, or that Hard mode doesn't have Counter Hints (as in Arkham Asylum).

Now I admit Arkham City made up for it quite well using harder encounters. But still. I find it annoying.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Guise Arkham Knight is a villain.... but the name 'Arkham Knight' sounds like a good guy being a knight and all, maybe in the end we will learn that Arkham Knight is Batman and you've been doing Jokers work all game.

:M

Ivan

Arcane
spoilers, bruh

am i the only one noticing that it doesn't look that much better than Asylum/City?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
spoilers, bruh

am i the only one noticing that it doesn't look that much better than Asylum/City?

Dude, that's like...expected? I mean, they are going for the whole franchise thing. Add a little something, slightly improve graphics, create a new story -> grab a couple of bucks. This formula has been done so many times because it WORKS. Is it a bad thing? Well, not necessarily. If the coregameplay was FUN to begin with (aka, Arkham Asylum), then there is no reason to change it dramatically. So "franchise formula" is not really a bad thing. However, every franchise starts sucking balls after a while and people start jumping ship. Was Arkham City "jump ship time"? HELL NO! Is Arkham Knight? Well, I don't know, we'll wait and see, won't we?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
spoilers, bruh

Dude, that's like...expected? I mean, they are going for the whole franchise thing. Add a little something, slightly improve graphics, create a new story -> grab a couple of bucks. This formula has been done so many times because it WORKS. Is it a bad thing? Well, not necessarily. If the coregameplay was FUN to begin with (aka, Arkham Asylum), then there is no reason to change it dramatically. So "franchise formula" is not really a bad thing. However, every franchise starts sucking balls after a while and people start jumping ship. Was Arkham City "jump ship time"? HELL NO! Is Arkham Knight? Well, I don't know, we'll wait and see, won't we?
Well, the whole point of Origins being made was because Rocksteady wanted to spend a lot of time upgrading the tech and graphics. And WB (I think?) thought that was too long of a time gap so they had someone make Origins as a filler.

DeepOcean

Arcane
To me Arkham Asylum> Arkham City > Arkham Origins and I dunno about Arkham Knight. Arkham Asylum plays like a batman comic book, the Asylum is atmospheric and has a ton of backstory, the content was better tought out and more attention was given to everything, Arkham City is the usual bigger is better even if doesn't make sense approach to sequels, loved the gliding with the bat suit but hated the repetitive content on the sandbox area, there was too much copy pasta on fights and riddler's trophys on the sandbox areas, didn't like the over reliance on QTEs for some boss fights too (Ra's Al ghul), the plot seems to go all over the place only moving on the final hours too. Arkham City is like the Fallout 2 for Arkham Asylum, much more but not exactly better.

Hope Arkham Knight doesn't continue the way of Arkham city as it being bigger it may mean alot more copy pasta. I wanted more fights with waves of enemies while fighting two titans at same time or challenging boss fights like Poison Ivy from the first one than killing groups of 5 to 6 dudes over and over on the sandbox areas. If they get a way for batman to use the grapple hook everywhere and don't make the stealth system so reliable on camping on gargoyles it would be cool too.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Arkham City is like the Fallout 2 for Arkham Asylum, much more but not exactly better.

That's a pretty good comparison. However, I consider Arkham City to be on the same level as Asylum simply because City brought noticeable improvements to the combat mechanics and since some 80% the fun in Arkham games is beating up thugs, the end result is that Arkham City is just as good, despite having some unnecessary filler. I'm crossing all my fingers hoping they don't try to make "big inuvatiuns!!!11" and end up fucking up the formula.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I didn't have a problem with the city size in AC. There wasn't that much filler and visually it looked incredible. Of course, for my money Paul Dini was the best 'creative director' the Batman franchise has ever had. Burton is a distant second (mostly visuals). The new Batman movies are generic-as(s)-fuck action flicks. Haven't seen any of the newer cartoons like Brave and the Bold or whatever. Can't imagine they top BTAS, though.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't have a problem with the city size in AC. There wasn't that much filler and visually it looked incredible. Of course, for my money Paul Dini was the best 'creative director' the Batman franchise has ever had. Burton is a distant second (mostly visuals). The new Batman movies are generic-as(s)-fuck action flicks. Haven't seen any of the newer cartoons like Brave and the Bold or whatever. Can't imagine they top BTAS, though.
BTAS was awesome as fuck.
Gotta rewatch.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
new trailer

Loved how the GCPD station acts like a fortress and how Batman brings Ivy there. They will probably have her working on an antidote for the Scarecrow's toxin - which will obviously work out well and we won't have to fight mind controlled police officers later in the game.

I still don't think the story will be any good, but at least it looks to be some fun to be had from it.

I loved the Arkham music during the fight. Hnngh. Nick Arundel MOTY

The quickfire explosive gel seems to work more like the ranged gadget in The Dark Knight.

Also, still no Predator footage. Come on, Cocksteady. Less Bat-Tank, more stealth.

The Arkham City models look like plastic toys in comparison. Just compare Batman, Ivy and Harley to their Arkham City counterparts.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gotta rewatch.

I'm watching the whole series for the first time in 20 years or so.
Damn, this shit is as good as I remember it being when I was a kid.

Some of the new Batman animated movies are pretty good, like Year One and The Dark Knight Returns. They're mostly good because they're based on good comics.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Think you already had enough Batmobile for one marketing campaign? Think again! You can never have enough Batmobile.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
BATMAN-ARKHAM-SAVE40 gets you 40% off the preorder at Green Man Gaming -- would make it $36.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dark Horizons said:
For those true completionists out there, the upcoming "Batman: Arkham Knight" poses a serious dilemma.

Polygon reports that due to so many deals with so many retailers, it's "physically impossible to buy the entire game with all the content available at launch" short of buying multiple copies.

A Reddit user has posted a breakdown of the eight different exclusive versions of the game that will be available at launch. The list includes:

All Locations/All Preorders - Standard Edition
Harley Quinn Story Pack - Access to Harley Quinn story missions

GameStop Exclusive
Red Hood Story Pack - Access to Red Hood story missions.

Best Buy Exclusive
WayneTech Booster Pack- Explosive Gel Takedown, Aerial Juggle, Weapon Upgrade, Batarangs While Gliding

Walmart Exclusive
4 Exclusive Challenge Maps to play as Harley Quinn, Unique Batmobile with exclusive gameplay features.

Steam Exclusive
Gotham's Future Skin Pack - Dark Knight Returns & Batman Beyond costumes.

PS4 Exclusive DLC
Scarecrow Nightmare DLC Pack

Limited Edition
Steel book, Artbook, Comic Book, Skin Pack, Three skins from DC Comics New 52 series, Limited Edition Batman Statue

Batmobile Edition
Steel book, Artbook, Comic Book, Skin Pack, Three skins from DC Comics New 52 series, Limited Edition Batmobile statue

Those hoping to play the 100% complete version of the game will likely have to wait for the inevitable 'Game of the Year' edition which has not scored a release date as yet.

Line up for the milking, people! You own money that is not rightfully yours!

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Reinstalled Arkham City yesterday for some pre-release warm-up.
Same. I actually played the whole game and got into New Game+.

But now I'm worried I'll burn myself out. lol.

Fucking fun game though.

And yes, being a Batman fanboy adds to the enjoyment, I admit wholeheartedly.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Dark Horizons said:
For those true completionists out there, the upcoming "Batman: Arkham Knight" poses a serious dilemma.

Polygon reports that due to so many deals with so many retailers, it's "physically impossible to buy the entire game with all the content available at launch" short of buying multiple copies.

A Reddit user has posted a breakdown of the eight different exclusive versions of the game that will be available at launch. The list includes:

All Locations/All Preorders - Standard Edition
Harley Quinn Story Pack - Access to Harley Quinn story missions

GameStop Exclusive
Red Hood Story Pack - Access to Red Hood story missions.

Best Buy Exclusive
WayneTech Booster Pack- Explosive Gel Takedown, Aerial Juggle, Weapon Upgrade, Batarangs While Gliding

Walmart Exclusive
4 Exclusive Challenge Maps to play as Harley Quinn, Unique Batmobile with exclusive gameplay features.

Steam Exclusive
Gotham's Future Skin Pack - Dark Knight Returns & Batman Beyond costumes.

PS4 Exclusive DLC
Scarecrow Nightmare DLC Pack

Limited Edition
Steel book, Artbook, Comic Book, Skin Pack, Three skins from DC Comics New 52 series, Limited Edition Batman Statue

Batmobile Edition
Steel book, Artbook, Comic Book, Skin Pack, Three skins from DC Comics New 52 series, Limited Edition Batmobile statue

Those hoping to play the 100% complete version of the game will likely have to wait for the inevitable 'Game of the Year' edition which has not scored a release date as yet.

Line up for the milking, people! You own money that is not rightfully yours!
Mmm.. I am very ambivalent. The extra story mission (Harley Quinn) was pretty good in Arkham City, albeit short.

Also the Gadget Booster Pack sounds fun. On the other hand, it feels disrespectful to not let those gadgets (in that manner) be used without the DLC.

Don't care about the rest at all. I already suck at challenge maps lol so the addition does not excite me.

Maybe I will pay for the game, but play the TPB version instead. At least for the Waynetech Booster Pack.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Arkham games are great because they aren't your traditional action games where the protagonist is grossly overpowered. Sure you get to a point where Batman can take on half a dozen thugs at once but (assuming you play on decent difficulty settings) you can't do that without a bit of pre-planning, snares, cc's, gadgets, etc. That is, you can't just dive into a pile and hit A for awesome or you'll die in fairly short order.
You just described a traditional action game. The Arkham games are far easier than them.

Gotta rewatch.

I'm watching the whole series for the first time in 20 years or so.
Damn, this shit is as good as I remember it being when I was a kid.

Some of the new Batman animated movies are pretty good, like Year One and The Dark Knight Returns. They're mostly good because they're based on good comics.

One thing I appreciate about TAS is that they use real-world guns instead of laserguns like other cartoons did at the time.

I was rewatching some of the episodes a couple of months back and still got the impression you couldn't kill someone, though. One episode, for instance, had 3 different people fall off of tall buildings throughout the show. Each time they would land in a conveniently-placed flatbed truck or large body of water. It was hilarious how every single villain ended up falling off a building by the end, it had more pitfalls per capita than Looney Tunes ever did.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Been playing Arkham City for the last couple of days and MAN, THAT GAME IS JUST AS GOOD AS I REMEMBER IT. Plot is good, combat is good, gliding around is awesome...GAAAAH. Sorry, I just jizzed my pants a bit.

Seriously guys, Arkham City oozes with the LOVE that went into making that game. I'd bet my kidney that the people responsible for writing Arkham City are really Batman fans at heart. :love::love::love::5/5::5/5:

All fingers crossed for Arkham Knight not getting fucked up.

Fuck Riddler's trophies, tho...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom