Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I never mentioned how the original BG writers handled their writing. It's a little bit better than this, but not by much. This is more on Fallout 2 levels, full of memes and references, but also injected with a specific kind of arrogance and narcissistic masturbation that only self-righteous buffoons can pull off.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I didn't have any expectations about the writing, so I'm mostly fine with it. It's just the dumbfuckery what bothers me.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's probably obvious but confirmation that Amber wrote the Tranny:

@BeamBard.. get it? Cause she wears all those crazy hats.. every day..

Oh and don't worry.. it's just us being inclusive.. We weren't pandering at all.. we aren't retweeting everything tangentially related to this character.

Nope.. it's just a part of the story.. not virtue signalling nope nope.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Seriously, why didn't these people stay at Bioware? I just want to escape from real life when I play a game, not have the hot button issues and political propaganda jammed in my face.

Nahel

Arcane
Well at least they are helping me to make a choice. I was hesitating to buy it because i was not impressed with BG EE especially when they are many great mods which worked fine. But they don't need the money of a straight white male like me. And by the way the bitch should remember she is a writer if we agree to buy and pay for her shitty job. If not you are just one more useless student with a liberal arts degree or gender studies bullshit. So you better serve my fries hot the next time I go to Mac Donald bitch.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ehh BG went full-Python in places.

odyuBRf.png

FOnRDiZ.png

YiCnbfu.png

Also http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Bub_Snikt

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
The saddest thing is that those clueless losers actually get to develop games, projecting their misguided SJW bullshit into fantasy worlds.

Makes me want to develop a game with just straight, white characters and appalling lack of superpowerful women, just to piss them off.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder why the majority of references are of pop culture and not of more serious art.

:philosoraptor:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
To be fair this was the age of pop-culture references (thanks FO2) in RPGs.

BG was released three months after Fallout 2. :)

Nerds were gonna nerd and Lukas Kristjanson is a massive Monty Python nerd. He really wanted to get "nobody expects the banthas in position" into kotor (I don't believe it made it in) and he was directly responsible for getting John Cleese in Jade Empire ("It was downright surreal to get John Cleese and meet him in person. I think my VO suggestion was something like 'Sir Roderick is Cleese unless we can't get Cleese in which case he should sound nothing like him. You don't half-ass a Cleese.' Thrill for me, a pleasant day at work for him.")

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game seems to have that problem. The writers probably intended something as a joke or humorous reference, and it tries, but it does not deliver, and the result is cringe-worthy. For example, if you click on a character many times it will say something unexpected or curious. Viconia talks in drow language and expresses her hate for everybody, Edwin whines (like always), Safana talks unapologetically about her good looks, but then Minsc says that GG nonsense and Dorn says... "I'm bad. Bad to the bone."

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
That "stoner" bit is indicative of the writers just throwing random ideas in there with no regard for writing a coherent whole.
No that stoner guy is one joke character in the game. They didn't even try to make it serious, it was obviously a joke. BG1 has a few such situation (3 kobolds, the Shady guy in an Inn and some others).

I'm currently playing through BG 1, have just reached the city proper and can confirm the game is infested with comedic dialogue like that and pratically every one of them provides an option to play along (which is what whomever posted that screenshot did, and I'd be surprised if there aren't various prompts to tell the guy you won't hear his trippy shit). Even with the serious characters your own PC can almost always dish out some kind of cheesy line in reply.

That said, maybe the stoner reference is a bit more ham-fisted than usual, but anyone thinking this is sacrilege upon the original game needs to check their nostalgia glasses.

The choice of these "WOAH DUUUDE MAN WEED YO" dialogue options, coupled with the whole dialogue are insulting...

What is "insulting" about this?

EDIT: My only contact with Beamdog's writing so far has been in BG 1 with Dorn, who definitely feels off (the voice acting really doesn't help), and Baeloth, whom I actually liked a lot as a sort of cross between Edwin and Viconia. Hopefully the expansion's writing is more like the latter than the former, if it hits that mark then my expectations are met.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
That said, maybe the stoner reference is a bit more ham-fisted than usual, but anyone thinking this is sacrilege upon the original game needs to check their nostalgia glasses.

Nobody is saying BG1 was well written.

I think the biggest question is.. when Beam dog is shilling out on Twitch talking about how amazing this games story is gonna be and how they aren't finished cleaning up BG1 and BG2.. BUT THIS STORY.. IS GOOD..
(They literally said that)..

People have to wonder.. is -this- what Beam dog meant..? and what's next?
Do they think this is good writing?

Anyone who is defending BG1 writing should stop now.
Although.. BG1 was -at least- always playful in spirit.. SoD is a vindictive hate fuck.

Quatlo

Arcane
The choice of these "WOAH DUUUDE MAN WEED YO" dialogue options, coupled with the whole dialogue are insulting...

Its insulting that someone, somewhere thought that throwing a stoner as a reference or "joke" to a fantasy game would make me giggle, slap my knee and think *Tee-hee, I get it!*
I have nothing against wacky jokes but at least make them interesting, clever or funny.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Re: the stoner

In the last stream they did before release, they said they were originally making the game 100% serious but then felt that they needed to add some comic relief characters to match the base game's style.

Last edited:

Gay-Lussac

Arcane

Nobody is saying BG1 was well written.

I think the biggest question is.. when Beam dog is shilling out on Twitch talking about how amazing this games story is gonna be and how they aren't finished cleaning up BG1 and BG2.. BUT THIS STORY.. IS GOOD..
(They literally said that)..

People have to wonder.. is -this- what Beam dog meant..? and what's next?
Do they think this is good writing?

Anyone who is defending BG1 writing should stop now.
Although.. BG1 was -at least- always playful in spirit.. SoD is a vindictive hate fuck.

Wait... you mean... did they... no... oh my god, they tried to hype up their own game?! On their fucking twitch stream set up solely for that reason?!

You know what's a real vindictive hate fuck? Following the development of an expansion to a game you care little about from a developer you have absolutely no faith in, to the point where you even watch their twitch streams, just so you can maximize the amount of snarky forum posts you make about it afterwards.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane

Its insulting that someone, somewhere thought that throwing a stoner as a reference or "joke" to a fantasy game would make me giggle, slap my knee and think *Tee-hee, I get it!*
I have nothing against wacky jokes but at least make them interesting, clever or funny.

And you got triggered *insulted* by that? And I thought SJWs were bad.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Wait... you mean... did they... no... oh my god, they tried to hype up their own game?! On their fucking twitch stream set up solely for that reason?!

You know what's a real vindictive hate fuck? Following the development of an expansion to a game you care little about from a developer you have absolutely no faith in, to the point where you even watch their twitch streams, just so you can maximize the amount of snarky forum posts you make about it afterwards.

:butthurt:

Black

Arcane
How else will we post about Fallout 5 or the next gender scrolls?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom