Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Aliens RPG cancelled, Obsidian fires staff, future in doubt

Seboss

Liturgist
NiM82 said:
Take Kereberos, the team behind Sword of the Stars. They like making 'hardcore' 4X space games.
Their game is pretty awesome btw.
Lighthouse Interactive (its publisher) went under some times ago. I hope Kerberos will be able to produce more content for SoTS in the future despite of this.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
racofer said:
Silellak said:
racofer said:
Silellak said:
If you aren't having fun with modern games, maybe you should find a new hobby?

Another shinny example of argumentation.

Yeah, it's totally unreasonable to suggest someone find a new hobby if they are no longer enjoying their current hobby.

Indeed. Avoid the problem instead of facing it, that's the best solution.

The best solution for you is to step back and go to the gym

MetalCraze

Arcane
Silellak said:
I think they're talented developers who haven't had a chance to reach their full potential due to various reasons.

Yes - and all those reasons are someone else's fault. Not because Obsidian wants to make pop-corn console games. I mean - Sega, the bastards, forced Obsidian to make Alpha Protocol.

And, as a software developer myself, it's always sad to me to hear about my peers potentially losing their jobs, especially given how difficult it is to find NEW jobs nowdays.
Well why did they lose jobs? Probably because Sega, the bastards, forced poor Obsidian to work with them knowing that they are a failure of a publisher?

My favorite modern development studio right now is actually probably Stardock, both because of their DRM philosophy and the fact that every game they've released recently has been solid.
But Stardock doesn't release AAA budget titles for oversaturated-with-console-shooters mainstream market. How they didn't lose all the jobs? They open a second studio? What

On the subject of Obsidian, I think MotB alone is reason enough to want them to stay around. Even if they only released 1 "good game" a year every 5 years, that's more than most modern studios manage to shit out.

Again as I've said it is that "I'll eat your shit, you've released a good game last millenium" fanboy mentality. Obsidian didn't release a good game since MotB and weren't planning to.

I do find it somewhat disgusting that anyone would wish ill will on people simply because the company is making video games - you know, a FUN HOBBY at most - that they don't happen to like, but then, this is the Codex.
Totally a fun hobby.
Ohmeegod we must understand those fags at Bethesda/EA/T2 that totally fucked up PC gaming because they are the game developers, no matter the product quality.

Fanboys love everything a company or person does regardless of quality, while Elitists hate everything that doesn't meet their ridiculous standards.
Ridiculous standards? MotB had shitty combat, immortal, forced-on-you companions, small locations - and yet I still consider it a good game. How Fallouts, PS:T, Arcanum and other games managed to reach my ridiculous elitist standards I wonder.

I guess, but I'd rather lower my personal bar and be able to enjoy more games than look down on "the peasants" who dare to enjoy things that may be as great as games that came out during the Golden Age.
That's why we can't have good things.

If you aren't having fun with modern games, maybe you should find a new hobby?
Just because I don't have fun with piss poor "console RPGs" doesn't mean that I don't have fun with modern games.

Draikin

Novice
Here's what I wrote on Obsidian forums in 2006
I'm disapointed with the name of the publisher. Sega-Sammy is dead to me since they disbanded Smilebit, their last good team. I'm still bitter about Agartha's cancelling which ruined Raynal's career.
(...)
UE3, PS3, Obsidian, Sega, that's a recipe for a disaster.
(...)
Signing a contract with SEGA about an Alien game was too much: SEGA is dying (or already dead), all their games are bombing, it's pretty much like working for Interplay again.
Sometimes I hate to be right :cry:

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:
Well why did they lose jobs? Probably because Sega, the bastards, forced poor Obsidian to work with them knowing that they are a failure of a publisher.

It totally makes sense and is in no way unreasonable to wish ill-will on developers who have little to no control over the decisions the people who run the company made.

I AM GLAD LOW-LEVEL DEVELOPERS LOST THEIR JOBS BECAUSE THEIR BOSSES MADE SHITTY DECISIONS.

I'd rather see dedicated workers lose their jobs than have companies making video games I don't like!!!!

Why is it people always forget that the assholes who make the bad calls often AREN'T the ones who lose their jobs? You act like everyone at Obsidian is all part of some giant hive mind who collectively made the decision to work with Sega so FUCK THEM ALL AM I RIGHT?!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Low-level developers didn't know what is Obsidian when they were applying for the job?
We must be living in a world where poor low-level developers don't understand what does it mean to work for the boss and that a high-budget AAA bloom gaming industry has studios dissolving every weekend.

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:
Low-level developers didn't know what is Obsidian when they were applying for the job?
We must be living in a world where poor low-level developers don't understand what does it mean to work for the boss and that a high-budget AAA bloom gaming industry has studios dissolving every weekend.

You can keep justifying your apathy all you want, but it won't change the fact you're a jackass who would rather see people out of work then, God forbid, make a video game you don't like.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
skyway, were you happy when Troika went under too? They were also "catering to the lowest common denominator" with Bloodlines. Don't deny it. The first-person view and Source engine physics did not make it a better rpg. So I say fuck Troika, they deserved to go under for actually trying to make money. Those greedy bastards!

But you know skyway, the main reason I know you're full of shit is because you've played all of Obsidian's games and all of Bioware's too. You simply know too much about them to not have played them. Now why is that? If they're "complete shit," as you are so eager to remind all us on every fucking thread about the games, then why did you play them? There must have been at least something in them that you can considered worth your time. And for all your talk about Alpha Protocol, you're going to be one of the first to get it when it comes out just like a good number of other people here. I know you will, and then you'll be bitching about all the game's flaws within a week of release. So why don't you just do us all a favor and shut the fuck up, for once?

I may also disagree with design decisions made by Obsidian, but that doesn't mean I want them to go out of business. I'd even be sad if Bioware went bankrupt, though not to the same degree. I enjoy their games for what they are. For you to wish the downfall of what is essentially the Troika of the current generation is deplorable.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Silellak said:
You can keep justifying your apathy all you want, but it won't change the fact you're a jackass who would rather see people out of work then, God forbid, make a video game you don't like.

Well yeah you do shit, I'm as a customer not happy. That's how it works.
Hey man I wonder if you'll come to cafe and the waitress will bring you stinking shit instead of promised delicious stake you will go like "well take my money anyway, I don't want you to lose your job!"

Dicksmoker said:
skyway, were you happy when Troika went under too? They were also "catering to the lowest common denominator" with Bloodlines. Don't deny it.

Lowest common denominator? No sorry man - I will deny it. In that case let's say that SS2 and Deus Ex were games for a lowest common denominator too - which is far from truth, because Halo 'tards can't stand them.
VtmB has poor design decisions but it is anything but dumbed down shooter with gimmick stats.
Also VtmB had great characters and great writing - which can't be said about any of "modern" games.

As for Obsidian games - yes I've played them.
KotOR2 because I wanted to see what ex BIS guys (as I thought) could do - NWN2 because of a lack of good RPGs - SoZ because MotB was good and I had hope. As for Bioware games - well yeah - out of desperation too. With the same reasoning "because there are no better RPGs". However the utter disappointment that ME was (and TW) was the last straw.

And for all your talk about Alpha Protocol, you're going to be one of the first to get it when it comes out just like a good number of other people here.
Somehow I never even tried to torrent that Fallout 3, I was spilling shit on it for 2 good years yet unlike other codexers that did the same never bought it.
I won't buy AP - I've already played ME.

I enjoy their games for what they are

Some smart codexer once answered to that argument of the decline:
"This piece of shit is so bad it made me cry but damn it is the finest piece of shit I ever saw"

FeelTheRads

Arcane
RuySan said:
skyway said:

You. Are. A. Fucking. Cunt.

Bwahahaha... RuySan from doom-metal.com forums?

stamate_filip here, if you still remember. We had a good fight together against an admin there on the tr00ness of RPGs a long time ago.

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:
Hey man I wonder if you'll come to cafe and the waitress will bring you stinking shit instead of promised delicious stake you will go like "well take my money anyway, I don't want you to lose your job!"

If I can read reviews of the steak, both from professional critics and "commoners", download and eat a demo of the steak, borrow the steak from a friend, or watch a friend eat the stake and get a sense of how the steak tastes, then maybe your dumbfuck metaphor would actually make a tiny bit of sense.

Until then, stop comparing two scenarios and products that have absolutely nothing to do with the other. For the record, yes, I would feel bad for the lower-level workers if a company that makes shitty food went out of business. It's called empathy.

Morbus

Scholar
Foamhead said:
That's right they deserve to lose theirs jobs and not feed their families because you aren't getting your precious Might and Magic 1 and Wizardry clones. You remind me of an old hippie who thinks no music released after Woodstock is worth listening to. You never ever have anything remotely intelligent or constructive to say whatsoever do you? I'd tell you to go shoot yourself in the head but seeing at your skull is completely hollow the impact might cause your head to totally collapse around your neck.
AHAHAHA, you think any of those people will EVER starve to death!? You are seriously out of your mind. :lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I'm whiny little douche?"

Yes.

And, you can't be elitist when you aren't elite.

And, no mercy for those who lost their jobs. That's life.

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:
I would feel bad for the lower-level workers if a company that makes shitty food went out of business.

Oh god. That's why we can't have good things, man.

The fuck are you talking about?

Just because I'd feel bad if low level workers lost their jobs doesn't mean I'm going to give that company money for shitty food to keep them afloat, either. I don't want the people who make the Madden games to lose their jobs, simply because losing a job sucks - especially right now. Still doesn't mean I'd feel bad enough to buy their games, though. I just wouldn't celebrate if EA Sports collapsed.

Please feel free to respond with another irrelevant metaphor comparing video games to the random product of your choice.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Silellak said:
I don't want the people who make the Madden games to lose their jobs, simply because losing a job sucks - especially right now. Still doesn't mean I'd feel bad enough to buy their games, though. I just wouldn't celebrate if EA Sports collapsed.
Man - with the mentality like this one we can forgive any shit to any corporation.
The fact - the are guilty of PC market's decline, people who work for them know that perfectly. EA also closed other studios, making more talented people lose their jobs (LGS, Westwood, Bullfrog, Origin) while keeping talentless pricks. Hey I will be very happy when EA will go belly up.

Please feel free to respond with another irrelevant metaphor comparing video games to the random product of your choice.

You can't compare video game market to anything! You can't criticize games because you don't make one! You can't criticize shit product because people are making it!
I can't believe that in a single hour I got more flawed logic from a one man (at the fucking Codex no less) than I usually get when I troll xbawks kids at their own forums from many of them.

:declineofthecodex:

NiM82

Prophet
Their game is pretty awesome btw.
Lighthouse Interactive (its publisher) went under some times ago. I hope Kerberos will be able to produce more content for SoTS in the future despite of this.

Kerberos kept ownership the SoTS IP, so it's just a matter of them finding a new distributor/publisher. I don't think it's really had an impact on them, from what I read on the forums. Don't think there will be anymore SoTS content, they're probably too busy working on the sequel and North Star atm, I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom