Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Reviews

Cadmus

Arcane
In Czech:

http://games.tiscali.cz/recenze/age-of-decadence-recenze-268399

From what I can tell he considers this game very interesting but hates graphics.
I usually like the czech reviews because they follow a different style than the IGN retards et al.

This guy makes a wrong assumption in that he says that he sometimes didn't need to read the dialogues and only clicked on his highest skill check cuz it was the best, which is fucking wrong because different skillchecks have different outcomes.
Of course that retarded imbecile died twice in the first battle AFTER PUTTING EVERYTHING INTO COMBAT SKILLS AND STATS
How is it possible? Did he fucking take 2 in each and every skill? My brain cannot comprehend this. Of course he complains the combat is slow, nobody ever has found the fucking animation speed slider. He praises the aimed strikes.

He praises the C&C, writing and atmosphere. He likes how the story unfolds differently for each character and you see more sides of one event.
Says the game looks disgusting. I understand this, it looked horrible to me at first as well, now I got used to it and like it but The Witcher 3 it ain't.
All in all the review is very positive with a shit score reserved for "meh" games - 7/10, as we all know that literally means "utter shit never buy it".
Better than some fucking RPS but not good enough, not accurate enough and there's some errors.

Cadmus

Arcane
Hmm, I asked the reviewer why he died at start and he said he put 4-5 points in Block and didn't have enough left for Sword so he put 1 Sword 1 Dagger because the dagger has synergy with sword.
That's actually nice. He also said he knew about the animation slider but he wanted to only speed up the enemy animations but he probably should have mentioned in the review. Pretty good reviewer, imo. I take back saying he's a retarded imbecile.

Funny thing : http://games.tiscali.cz/obrazky/predstaveni-nezavisle-rpg-age-of-decadence-28325
Introducing: Age of Decadence, a new, isometric, fantasy, turn-based game from RPG Codex. (article from 2005)

another classic case of cultural appropriation by Vault Dweller, stealing our memes

3rd EDIT: they have pretty good reviews for Lords of Xulima and Expeditions: Conquistador

What a nice website!

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Year coming close soon people will be pasting everywhere RPGcodex game of the year awards :D

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

lel

2457635-the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_combat_with_sirens.jpg

3.jpg

I know which one looks great and witcher one looks like shit.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://3rd-strike.com/the-age-of-decadence-review/

Conclusion

While it is not your average RPG, The Age of Decadence is a still a true gem in the genre with rich intertwining storylines that only grow more complex with each playthrough as you’ll learn the ropes of the difficult gameplay. The turn-based combat can be compared with many other games, including Divinity: Original Sin but the combat and bloodshed can be entirely avoided in this rich role playing environment, meaning the game is not for every player. Nonetheless the game is a masterpiece that has even more room to grow.

Good: non-linear questlines, intertwined storylines, rich RP environment
Bad: outdated graphics, dull sound design, no voice-overs

8.5/10

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sounds like some lack of understanding of basic logic.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-age-of-decadence-318681.phtml

Destructoid gave AoD a 9 and metacritic score went up from 82 to 84.

Age of Decadence is an RPG to its core. It offers the player a wealth of choices, many of them carrying lofty consequences along with them. The core design element of player choice transcends simple dialogue choices, as players can progress through the game in a variety of styles. Many games offer up the illusion of choice while failing to actually deliver, but Age of Decadence serves up difficult and tangible crossroads with no looking back.

It may have some rough spots, but it is one of the most well-designed RPGs I have had the pleasure of enjoying.

Serious question: How much positive reviews are influenced by the kickstarter cRPG Renaissance? It may sound ridiculous but it is not. This new wave of cRPGs may have changed reviewers perception of what is "acceptable" and "cool". Few years go would they be harsher against the lack of voiceovers or dismissed isometric and turn based as not respectable way of doing things? Would their view praising it as way of making themselves sound silly? If yes then, the change of a gaming scene is truly substantial.

Johannes

Arcane
Serious question: How much positive reviews are influenced by the kickstarter cRPG Renaissance? It may sound ridiculous but it is not. This new wave of cRPGs may have changed reviewers perception of what is "acceptable" and "cool". Few years go would they be harsher against the lack of voiceovers or dismissed isometric and turn based as not respectable way of doing things? Would their view praising it as way of making themselves sound silly? If yes then, the change of a gaming scene is truly substantial.
Definitely a reviewer will tailor his reviews to a big extent to what he thinks his audience will agree with, be it conciously or unconciously. If you think you will seem antiqued to your audience if you give oldskool stuff the time of day, it'll make you be harsher, if you care about your game journo career. You want to cater to what the mouthbreathers like, if they don't like games you recommend they'll stop reading you.

It has just been a miscalculation on the presses part to underestimate the demand for proper RPGs.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://wccftech.com/review/the-age-of-decadence-review-cutthroat-business/

It was three and a half years ago when I bought The Age of Decadence from Iron Tower Studio. The game had just been released as a public beta, but foolishly I bought the game before I gave the public beta a go. I wasn’t a fan at the time and just wrote it off as a bad purchase. Flash forward to October 2015, The Age of Decadence has its final release and it turns out to be one of the best RPGs around. However, it’s about as niche as a title can get.

hivemind

I’m not overjoyed that once you join one guild, you’re locked out of the others due to the interacting quests, but I should be praising things like that as it means that your choices matter. Age of Decadence is likely the best RPG I’ve played since Skyrim.
nevermind I guess
lmao

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
lel

2457635-the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_combat_with_sirens.jpg

3.jpg

I know which one looks great and witcher one looks like shit.

Age of Decadence looks great despite its dated Torque engine graphic thanks to art direction and clever use of camera but Pototo-mole Twicher 3 is its looks much better; If only Vince and his Komrades went 2D ISO/3D for models path as the POE did it would be glorious... :lol: at complains about lack of voice overs Don't they realize its cancer which causes good dialogues to be impossible to find? Is reading that hard?

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Even the audio seems uninspired. The soundtrack is fitting with the Roman theme, but either there are maybe four or five tracks that loop throughout, or they all sound so similar that I genuinely couldn’t tell one piece from the next
Wtf is he talking about? The music in AoD is very good imo, the tunes are distinctive, they don't sound similar to me at all.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Ganezzar theme is my favourite, you can feel the madness in the air.

I don't get the bitching about AoD presentation. Graphics are ok, I prefer shitty graphics and tasteful artstyle than something like Diablo 3. The only thing that kind of bothers me in the aspect of presentation is that the "outros" are a bit underwhelming. It would be nice if the ending text was broken down into more screens with pictures (not something like banners of factions but scenes that portray what happened), maybe some in-game scenes. It's not a big deal but it would be a nice touch

Last edited:
Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I don't get the bitching about AoD presentation. Graphics are ok, I prefer shitty graphics and tasteful artstyle than something like Diablo 3. The only thing that kind of bothers me in the aspect of presentation is that the "outros" are a bit underwhelming. I would be nice if the ending text was broken down into more screens with pictures (not something like banners of factions but scenes that portray what happened), maybe some in-game scenes. It's not a big deal but it would be a nice touch

Agree!

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Graphics are ok, I prefer shitty graphics and tasteful artstyle than something like Diablo 3. The only thing that kind of bothers me in the aspect of presentation is that the "outros" are a bit underwhelming. I would be nice if the ending text was broken down into more screens with pictures (not something like banners of factions but scenes that portray what happened), maybe some in-game scenes. It's not a big deal but it would be a nice touch

10/10

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom