Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Thonius

Arcane
Eh retards are too busy playing Battle Royale X-game. Recently I discovered that even shitfest AKA battlefield number five got battle royale mode. God awful fad... let it die.
Also you all bigots might hate it but this is real game journalism! https://www.pcgamer.com/the-tomb-raider-cosplay-ambassadors-show-anyone-can-be-lara-croft/ That's what matters! Not your lame games...

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I played the alpha and beta and if you stuck to the shit prebuilt npcs and played on the hardest difficulty it was challenging for a decent amount of encounters. In fact, there are some encounters that I could only win by metagaming (I gm pathfinder tabletop). Hopefully they ignore the people bitching in the forums and keep the hard stuff in.

PrettyDeadman

I played the alpha and beta and if you stuck to the shit prebuilt npcs and played on the hardest difficulty it was challenging for a decent amount of encounters. In fact, there are some encounters that I could only win by metagaming (I gm pathfinder tabletop). Hopefully they ignore the people bitching in the forums and keep the hard stuff in.
Most peasant codexers who didnt have money to buy into the alpha/beta dont have a clue about games combat difficulty.

Rev

Arcane
I've noticed that. This will most likely need to sell on word of mouth or it will likely do Deadfire numbers.
Deadfire was made by Obsidian and was the sequel to a million seller game. No way Pathfinder is going to sell the same as Deadfire.
Luckily for Owlcat they don't need to sell that much (yeah, PoE2 didn't sold that well, but those numbers would be good for P:K) to make a profit.

jf8350143

Liturgist
If this can sell as much as Deadfire it will be a miracle. It has less marketing and less budget. The developer is not as famous as Obsidian and the graphics looks nowhere near as good as Deadfire.

The only advantage it has is that it's a Pathfinder game instead an original IP.

Dodo1610

Arcane
They do not need nearly as much success as Deadfire, because
-smaller team with only 35 developers
-team gets paid in Rubel
-not fully voiced

Most peasant codexers who didnt have money to buy into the alpha/beta dont have a clue about games combat difficulty.

Yeah everyone who played the game said it's challenging but that apparently doesn't seem to matter here.

PrettyDeadman

They do not need nearly as much success as Deadfire, because
-smaller team with only 35 developers
-team gets paid in Rubel
-not fully voiced

Yeah everyone who played the game said it's challenging but that apparently doesn't seem to matter here.
I had to stop playing beta because the game was too challening for me.
I went to some cave under giant tree, got pounded by skellies on lower levels (they even killed the necro elf, the irony), but semi-prevailed just to be destroyed by some bug in one of the middle caves.
And I had Druid with (((optimized)) stats (3 charisma lel).

Last edited by a moderator:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
If you guys are so familiar with the game's combat please answer the following questions about the game on default difficulty that I asked someone else and didn't get specific responses to. My questions about combat from an earlier post-
Is it click and watch or does it try to engage the player? How often, in the bulk of appropriate level combat encounters, do you have to pause, think, and try? Besides the level gated encounters, how often does the game throw a really tough appropriate level encounter at you? Does it follow the 95% trash mob/5% tough boss fight model of BG1/2, NWN1/2, Kotors, etc? Is it more comparable to the systems in Drakensangs and PoEs/tyranny where combat is still super easy but at least goes faster if you use abilities? Does it try to be challenging or does it try to be storymode at the baseline, default settings? How challenging did you find the vast majority of all combats in BG1/2 so we can compare? Good challenge, great challenge, not enough challenge, super easy?

PrettyDeadman

Combat is hard, engaging and interesting.
You have to pause every set of actions (i.e. then a command you gave to a character like attack or cast spell is complete) otherwise you risk getting completely obliterated by mobs.
Compared to tha BG combat was moderately difficult (unlese you cheese).

Roqua

Prospernaut
You have to pause every set of actions (i.e. then a command you gave to a character like attack or cast spell is complete) otherwise you risk getting completely obliterated by mobs.
Compared to tha BG combat was moderately difficult.

You pause it to reissue an attack ability? Or tell your guy to auto-attack a new target?

1) When you have your whole party selected and click on an enemy they all auto-attack the enemy right?
2) Do warriors have attack abilities as seen in games like PoE, Drakensang, Aarklash Legacy, Tyranny?
3) If not why are you issuing attack orders all the time? Auto-attack is a core function of RTwP.
4) How does it handle spell resources? Magic Point/Mana type system? Memorize spells in limited spell slots and rest to regain them? Cds for spell like abilities? Something else?

I think you are saying BG has a moderate difficulty compared to this game which is super duper difficult? What's some other games you thought had a good difficulty on default settings? Would you say NWN 1 and 2 and Kotors had a good difficulty?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The game it looks like it could be far better than deadfire. At least it could give some challenging encounters and decent story. Kingdom making sound a lot more appealing than following a giant Lenin bust filled with buggy worm virus.

PrettyDeadman

You pause it to reissue an attack ability? Or tell your guy to auto-attack a new target?

1) When you have your whole party selected and click on an enemy they all auto-attack the enemy right?
2) Do warriors have attack abilities as seen in games like PoE, Drakensang, Aarklash Legacy, Tyranny?
3) If not why are you issuing attack orders all the time? Auto-attack is a core function of RTwP.
4) How does it handle spell resources? Magic Point/Mana type system? Memorize spells in limited spell slots and rest to regain them? Cds for spell like abilities? Something else?

I think you are saying BG has a moderate difficulty compared to this game which is super duper difficult? What's some other games you thought had a good difficulty on default settings? Would you say NWN 1 and 2 and Kotors had a good difficulty?

1) Yes, they start attacking with equiped weapons, but mages can autoattack with cantrips (didn't figure this out since I never gave all party orders to attack 1 enemy).
2) Yes, they have. Things like bullrush, cleave and etc...
3) I issues new order due to enemy movements (enemy which I wanted to attack might be out of reach, new ones might be in reach).
4) Pathfinder rules. Limited use of spells with some unlimited 0 level spellls and spell conversion rules etc.

Kotor or nwn have easier difficulty.
I heard Etrian Odysseys were on harder side but I cannot confirm or deny that. I also heard Wizardry 4 was considered to be a difficult game.

ArchAngel

Arcane

1) Yes, they start attacking with equiped weapons, but mages can autoattack with cantrips (didn't figure this out since I never gave all party orders to attack 1 enemy).
2) Yes, they have. Things like bullrush, cleave and etc...
3) I issues new order due to enemy movements (enemy which I wanted to attack might be out of reach, new ones might be in reach).
4) Pathfinder rules. Limited use of spells with some unlimited 0 level spellls and spell conversion rules etc.

Kotor or nwn didnt have easier difficulty.
I heard Etrian Odyssey were on harder side but I cannot confirm or deny that.
Don't bother interacting with that troll that thinks he proved without a doubt that BG games are all so easy you can autoattack with whole party through most tougher encounters. Then when asked about that proof he starts mumbling about other stuff and acting like he does not need to prove anything.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Don't bother interacting with that troll that thinks he proved without a doubt that BG games are all so easy you can autoattack with whole party through most tougher encounters. Then when asked about that proof he starts mumbling about other stuff and acting like he does not need to prove anything.

I did prove it you troll nincompoop. And so did every other person of normal intelligence just by playing it and seeing for themselves. You didn't because you are a special, special person. And a TROLL!!!

The thread is publicly available. On this site. I even think you posted in it. I'm never going to link it because your nerd rage is too entertaining. I know for certain its there and isn't going anywhere, while your nerd rage defending the most ridiculously easy retard level combat as some sort of tactical masterpiece of super challenge feeds my soul. Unless you really are sane and know BG 1/2 offered zero difficulty and are trolling me - in which case, well played sir.

Kotor or nwn didnt have easier difficulty.
I heard Etrian Odyssey were on harder side but I cannot confirm or deny that.

Are you saying Kotor and NWN were not easier than this game? So the same difficulty as them? Or this game is more difficult?

So I can have a clearer idea of where you are coming from can you name an rpg you personally found to be too easy and one (other than this one) that you thought was too hard or extremely challenging?

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Are you saying Kotor and NWN were not easier than this game? So the same difficulty as them? Or this game is more difficult?

So I can have a clearer idea of where you are coming from can you name an rpg you personally found to be too easy and one (other than this one) that you thought was too hard or extremely challenging?

I wanted to say kotor didn't a difficult game but then decided to say Kotor have easier difficulty but forget to edit didn't out.
What I intended to say is: Kotor and Nwn are on the easier side compared to BG or some of the harder rpgs like Wizardry 4.

Mark Richard

Arcane
All of this game's previews are shallow and popamole af, even the one at PC Gamer.

Could it be because the game could possibly be popamole as fuck? Do you believe the game was developed around a normal level of difficulty or a storymode level for challenged people like ArchAngel?
The in-depth coverage of Expeditions: Viking mostly came from Europe and Russia, and that was an excellent game. Heck, the reason I was drawn here in the first place is because Infinitron posted an interview I did with Creative Director Jonas Wæver after seeing Game Informer's non-preview which went to the trouble of contacting the same man, yet didn't answer any of the basic questions Expeditions fans would want to know. My interview was roughly a week afterwards, so unless Logic Artists did a complete 180 in that time, they were completely willing to share. Game Informer just never asked.

You could draw many conclusions from that. Perhaps Game Informer is largely representative of an American games media which don't have much patience for foreign games unless they have a familiar hook? Perhaps the article was a mere fluff piece for a mainstream website due to the size of the studio? Maybe the article writer didn't play the previous entry? Maybe he sucked at his job? None of those theories are mutually exclusive.

This is a roundabout way of saying I reserve judgement and eagerly await everyone's thoughts before taking the plunge.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I did prove it you troll nincompoop. And so did every other person of normal intelligence just by playing it and seeing for themselves. You didn't because you are a special, special person. And a TROLL!!!

The thread is publicly available. On this site. I even think you posted in it. I'm never going to link it because your nerd rage is too entertaining. I know for certain its there and isn't going anywhere, while your nerd rage defending the most ridiculously easy retard level combat as some sort of tactical masterpiece of super challenge feeds my soul. Unless you really are sane and know BG 1/2 offered zero difficulty and are trolling me - in which case, well played sir.
Ah, your brain must be such a nice empty space. Nothing there but your crazy friend telling you stuff you want to hear. When you come back to reality, it might hurt.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Pathfinder: Kingmaker – PAX West 2018 Impressions

Few games are as beloved as the Baldur’s Gate series. The sheer storytelling the game invoked is thought to be by some as near-legendary status. Many games have attempted to follow in its footsteps, only to be left in the shadow of the juggernaut. Well, times change, and there’s a new upstart challenger coming armed to the teeth. Pathfinder: Kingmaker follows in the footsteps of its predecessor, using the more modern and increasingly popular Pathfinder RPG ruleset that many pen-and-paper tabletop players are familiar with. Thankfully for myself, I had a chance to sit down and watch an extended demonstration of the game at PAX West.

Pathfinder-Kingmaker-Companions.jpg

The first thing shown to me was the scale of the map. The gameplay I was watching was about 3-4 hours in, and only a small section of the map had been filled out. Expect 80-100 hours of gameplay, I was told. That alone will probably be enough to get plenty of people excited, myself included. The sheer scope of the game world is incredible, with an estimated 200+ locations to visit. Towns, wilderness, and dungeons galore will be omnipresent in your adventures.

The game is split into three distinct sections. The first is the aforementioned world map. The second is the individual area maps scattered across the game. The one I was taken to quickly erupted into a confrontation between kobolds and mites, each accusing the other of stealing a sacred relic. We decided to go the neutral route and not take a side, nor even get involved short of saying, “Well, if we find something out we’ll be sure to let you know!” This then erupted into full scale mite-on-kobold violence, and gave me an appreciation for one thing you don’t often find in games.

See, most RPGs, even isometric ones like this, provide an illusion of a dynamic world, but in reality everything just ends up you versus the world. Kingmaker has various factions like the mites and the kobolds that won’t necessarily get along, and will fight each other. Choose a side and you’ll be attacked too, but since we remained neutral in this conflict, we were able to walk through as the fighting went on around us with nary a problem to speak of. It felt like a genuine tabletop experience to me, where your actions and responses actually make a difference in how the world around you responds.

Pathfinder-Banquet.jpg

We then went through some combat explanation, when we encountered giant centipedes (entomophobes beware!). When combat is initiated, the game pauses, and you can issue actions to all of your party individually. What sets Kingmaker apart, though, is the fact that your party members also have a level of AI that will make them perform more than a standard auto attack if you leave them to their own devices. Your mages will cast spells, your clerics will heal wounds, and your sneaky types will skulk and surprise with impunity. While it’s probably always better to issue commands yourself when playing on higher difficulties (more on this later), it’s nice to have something in place where you don’t have to micromanage every last action every character takes.

Pathfinder-Kingmaker-Town.jpg

The final piece of gameplay we went over was the estate system. As part of the gameplay, your character is given a barony to rule. You choose what buildings to place, what services to offer, and what policies to enact. Each of these options provides both positive and negative factors to your kingdom, and you must balance each of them to maintain a positive response. Don’t feel like managing a kingdom and just want to enjoy the rest of the game? You do have the option to ignore the kingdom building aspect if you’d like, but I feel it will add a lot to the game. Your companions can also be set as advisors and leaders in the community, providing further benefit. Your character’s own alignment also plays a big role in things too. Lawful characters can expect peace and order, while a more evil character might employ monsters and brigands for their guards.

As stated before, you do have the option to set difficulty in Kingmaker. Those seeking a storyline driven game have the option of an easy mode which makes combat much more simple, allowing them to simply enjoy the game’s rich storyline. This goes all the way up to Unfair difficulty, which lives up to its namesake. Want a customized difficulty? You can do that too, by adjusting a wide range of options such as allowing critical hits (and determining how much damage they do), monster scaling, and more. It’s refreshing to see so many options for multiple playstyles, and it definitely encourages multiple playthroughs — a rarity for a game this long.

Overall, Pathfinder: Kingmaker ticks all of the boxes of an old-school RPG experience. There’s a vibrant world, colorful characters, intrigue, suspense, and drama galore. There’s even an encyclopedia option for players who may not know the lore of the land, and simply hovering over anything highlighted in the text will give you a quick blurb about it. The game offers a wonderful blend of accessibility and challenge in one package, and it’s sure to appeal to a wide audience, even beyond people who craved more Baldur’s Gate stories they never received.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Ah, your brain must be such a nice empty space. Nothing there but your crazy friend telling you stuff you want to hear. When you come back to reality, it might hurt.

Are you my friend? Will you tell me things I want to hear? We can play an mmorpg together and get married in game. Which one is easy enough for you to play? Toon Town or Minecraft?

ArchAngel

Arcane
As long as this game has difficulty fights on Core difficulty for first time players like IE games did, it will be fun. I already know companions are not as interesting as BG ones, so it's Kingdom making mechanics will need to carry it instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom