Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any SNES/Genesis era fans?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Fuck yeah Buck Rogers on PC was the shit back then. Did they keep all the skills in the port? and which one did they port, Doomsday or Matrix Cubed or both?

MessiahMan said:
Nobody's mentioned D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun on the Genesis yet? That's about as hardcore as old console RPGs were likely to get. It has proper turn-based (dumbed down a bit) D&D style combat, and when you're in caves, it effects some kind of blob combat thingy. The blob combat sucks, really, but the turn based is well realized for a console game.

I had the most fun with Eternal Sun, but the most hardcore console rpg of all fucking time imo was Rings of Power.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rings_of_P ... eo_game%29
I never actually got anywhere in that game, because isometric Crpg style games don't really translate well on consoles.
Navigating all of them menus & shit functions much better with a mouse.

Eternal Sun deserves to be commended simply, because you can actually control that game.
Whereas I'm stuck waiting for the faggot in Rings of Power to finish his two animation frame walk every time I try to make him move.

Shadowrun on the Genesis was also pretty hardcore.

Overall my favorite turnbased style console games are actually Koei's pc games that were ported over to consoles. (Uncharted Waters New Horizons, Nobunaga's Ambition, Romance of the three kingdoms etc.)

Satori said:
phelot said:
WHat was the name of the game were you played as a little red demon that could fly around. In between missions you flew around a 3D map to new areas. It had a few RPG elements thrown in
Demon's Quest for the SNES. Trivia - the dragon was the same as the one from Ghouls and Ghosts.
Recent LP of that here, very informative.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Anyone know this RPG: at the beginning (the first chapter?), the protagenist wakes up in a village full of friendly draconians in a snowy land, after some adventuring he would find a strange crystal which accidently killed almost all the draconians (burnt to crisp I remember). Then this chapter ends and the game would proceed to a new grassy landscape with new characters.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BLOBERT is right, I played the games I used to like recently and most of them are terrible, except for Herzog Zwei, that is good. And maybe games with ninjas. Games with ninjas are always col/

Falksi

Arcane
Fuck me, no matter how many years pass I still absolutely thrive on the rush which Thunderforce 3 + 4 & Smash TV give me.

Just been playing them this morning and I'm instantly transported back to being a 12 year old kid again. The rush is exactly the same, and it's frightening how such well executed simplicity still work so well.

mwnn85

Savant
The SNES has got to be the best console ever released - certainly the best Nintendo console.
The Mega Drive/Genesis had it's share of decent games (mostly fighting ones i.e. Streets of Rage, Golden Axe) but for sheer nostalgia I always go to Nintendo.
We went the "home PC" route back then with an Amiga 500+ rather than the console route; I only got to play on a SNES when I visited a cousin.

There's a few games I haven't bothered adding to my Retroarch list (mainly JRPGs) and plenty more I could add - but this is a good starting point all the same.
There's also the GBAtemp essential lists.
You can verify ROMs against the known good checksums here.

Aladdin (USA).sfc
Chrono Trigger (USA).sfc
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (USA) (En,Fr) (Rev 1).sfc
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (USA) (En,Fr).sfc
Donkey Kong Country (USA) (Rev 2).sfc
EarthBound (USA).sfc
Earthworm Jim 2 (USA).sfc
Earthworm Jim (USA).sfc
Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past (USA).sfc
Shadowrun (USA).sfc
Street Fighter II Turbo (USA) (Rev 1).sfc
Super Castlevania IV (USA).sfc
Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (USA).sfc
Super Mario Kart (USA).sfc
Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars (USA).sfc
Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island (USA).sfc
Super Metroid (Japan, USA) (En,Ja).sfc
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV - Turtles in Time (USA).sfc
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (USA).sfc
Earthworm Jim 2 is a joy from start to finish - too many funny levels to mention.
Shiny gave us MDK too but later declined badly with Enter the Matrix++

I've been picking out the very best of the games from each console i.e. N64, Gamecube, GBA, DS, 3DS.
It's interesting that as technology improves and we move to 3D, the number of essential games on each console declines.
Emuparadise disappearing was a bit of a shame but there's still plenty of other sites.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom