Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

12 reasons why F2 is a bad Fallout game

bataille

Arcane
So what's about The Pitt DLC? I haven't played it, and there is no way I'm getting F3 of all things to sate my curiosity...

Squid

Arbiter
So what's about The Pitt DLC? I haven't played it, and there is no way I'm getting F3 of all things to sate my curiosity...
From what I remember, you hear about this place in Pennsylvania (The Pitt is Pittsburgh) from some runaway slaves and they're all "help the other slaves" or some shit. But you end up getting enslaved and your pretty much pushed to help liberate the slaves. However, if you poke around enough you find out you can join the slavers and help get them this baby that the slaves have to help find a cure for a disease that ravages the area and turns people into what they call Trogs. So you learn something along the lines of the slaves are necessary and the slavers aren't actually all that bad or something. I don't remember how they rationalized all of it because I'm not replaying through Fallout 3 anytime soon. But you get the moral dilemma of a cure vs. peoples' freedoms. I don't remember if the karma system reinforces the decisions you make or not. I don't think a lot of players even knew you could side with the slavers because, from memory, the slavers never make it seem like you can join them?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Like that idiocy of people turning into Tribals worshipping "sky spirits" after only a few generations of society's collapse.
There was an FAQ in the Fallout Bible which adressed this very issue. Avellone's answer was "read Earth Abides."

AhuTongariki.JPG

Like it never ever happened in history; People now are morons fed what too think by (((TVitz))) and believing in shit like horoscopes and gurus without civilization collapse give them few generations without the toys and they will worship idols like Thunders and Sun again while using spears to hunt feral cattle.

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
Yeah, it wouldn't take long for people to start worshiping elements and mystical beings after societal collapse... oh wait, they already do. All it takes is people who never concern themselves with the Old World's knowledge and focus on teaching their children survival and useful skills like how to repair and build things, how to cook, clean, farm, etc. If people only know about things like planting food, hunting, etc. of course they'll end up praising the sun and rain (as if people haven't had some sort of analogous way of doing that anyway even now) again because it's vital to their food sources.

Cael

Arcane
Yeah, it wouldn't take long for people to start worshiping elements and mystical beings after societal collapse... oh wait, they already do. All it takes is people who never concern themselves with the Old World's knowledge and focus on teaching their children survival and useful skills like how to repair and build things, how to cook, clean, farm, etc. If people only know about things like planting food, hunting, etc. of course they'll end up praising the sun and rain (as if people haven't had some sort of analogous way of doing that anyway even now) again because it's vital to their food sources.
Yes. It takes an idle mind to come up with the notion that the spiritual doesn't exist. It takes a fat, entitled fuck to stop praying to the "sky spirits" when, as both FO1 and FO2 demonstrated, most people are one rainless season away from starving to death. These are the same kind of progtard dumbshits that think meat comes from supermarkets and being vegan means they don't kill things.

Risewild

Arbiter

:drink:
Yep, although I have been reading the Codex since the early 2000's. But back then I wasn't confident enough in my English language skills to join forums (took me almost 15 years to level up that skill enough).

Also been playing RPGs, hosting P&P sessions (I was even a DCI official DM back in the old days, I think I still might have my card somewhere in some box or something) and developing P&P RPG systems for fun, for more than 2 decades now.

:grpg:

As someone who grew up with and loves Fallout 2, I've always thought Arroyo -> Den was the least interesting part of the game. The Klamath rat dungeon in particular is mind-numbing. My favourite sections are all post-Den, which of course is like 80-90% of the game. The Den and Klamath don't play into any of the overarching politics or cool interfactional politics at all, except maybe the Slavers' Guild to some extent.

The best parts for me are the rivalries between the various big cities and the way the smaller towns get swept up in it all. Unraveling the various plots to nab Redding through jet addiction or nab Vault City via Cold War-style merc pressure are the meat of the game. Everybody remembers the tension between Gecko and Vault City or spying on the Salvatores meeting in secret with the Enclave. That's really what the game's about IMO -- that and the ability to have a real choice in what happens in these struggles.

ItsChon, I know you're 18 and predisposed to hate the game for some reason, but I'd boot it back up and push through to New Reno. In lore terms, it's retarded, but it's also one of the most interesting parts of the game and jam-packed with seedy plots and politics.
Doesn't help that you also have the temple of trials before that.
The beginning of FO2 is a complete slog.

It turned me off the first time. The gamma on the monitor was also set up wrong so I could barely see the giant ant. Good thing the magazine made it look cool so I came back later because I kept staring at it on the desk. Getting the first gun (Vic's pipe rifle) was a magical moment.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/fallout-2/cover-art/gameCoverId,161679/

http://www.mobygames.com/game/fallout-2/cover-art/gameCoverId,161680/

I'm still not sure what that blurb about "improved AI that makes combat even more realistic" means, though. It also lists "supermutants, giant soldiers and robotic dogs" as enemies.

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
This has to be the most easy-to-troll forum on the internet. Just appear out of nowhere and dare to say Fallout (or Arcanum, or any Bioware/BlackIsle/Troika game for that matter) were shit. If you want to be even edgier, attack Age of Decadence. The thread will be filled with pages in mere seconds dude!

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm a lurker from back in the day, but I think all these newfags are the new millenial developers at Obsidian and other places like Harebrained Schemes that are tryiing to clear out the grognards so that theres no analytical link to the past. Or just venting cause their games are shit by comparison. My conspiracy theory anyway.

Cael

Arcane
I'm a lurker from back in the day, but I think all these newfags are the new millenial developers at Obsidian and other places like Harebrained Schemes that are tryiing to clear out the grognards so that theres no analytical link to the past. Or just venting cause their games are shit by comparison. My conspiracy theory anyway.
If only that was the case. We also have Infinishit shilling on their behalf, which gives them legitimacy that they didn't earn other than to shove the asshat a doughnut.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Rofl so people are actually trying to justify the irrational and atmosphere killing tribal lifestyle of F2 now.... Those are the same people saying that setting a town around a bomb is stupid....

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

Thing is these retards use the word nostalgia like its some kind of narcotic added to a stale beverage. I should start a thread about this and what RPG burnout means. Because essentially I only get RPG burnout when I'm forced to play modern shit, and I don't need an injection of nostalgia to enjoy the classics, because they're just good fucking games even after however many tmes I've played them after 20 years.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Thing is these retards use the word nostalgia like its some kind of narcotic added to a stale beverage.

Well, yeah, newfags always use nostalgia as a derogatory term.

Here's how it actually works: if you are nostalgic about something it means you got to experience something good.
If you are never nostalgic about anything, then you are a retarded newfag used to consuming mainstream, lowest common denominator garbage. That's why you're not having good memories about anything, because every new shit is enough to entertain your primitive, monkey brain.

If you also develop some critical thinking, which is an unknown ability for newfags, you can also be nostalgic while acknowledging the faults of what you are nostalgic about.
Or, indeed, it can break the "rose-tinted glasses", like it happened to me with some tv-shows or movies and maybe some games.
But newfags just think that everything that's old and they don't like while others do is only because of "rose-tinted" glasses.

Newfags are the worst thing ever.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
If you also develop some critical thinking, which is an unknown ability for newfags, you can also be nostalgic while acknowledging the faults of what you are nostalgic about.
Or, indeed, it can break the "rose-tinted glasses", like it happened to me with some tv-shows or movies and maybe some games.
But newfags just think that everything that's old and they don't like while others do is only because of "rose-tinted" glasses.
:bro:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Thing is these retards use the word nostalgia like its some kind of narcotic added to a stale beverage. I should start a thread about this and what RPG burnout means. Because essentially I only get RPG burnout when I'm forced to play modern shit, and I don't need an injection of nostalgia to enjoy the classics, because they're just good fucking games even after however many tmes I've played them after 20 years.

QFT

I replayed the Baldur's Gate saga a few months ago (including Siege of Dragonspear) and i have to admit i couldn't put them down. They are still quality games. I can also replay Fallout 1 and 2 all day long. But games like Divinity Original Sin or Pillars of Eternity? YAWN! Really overrated clones with no soul.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

QFT

I replayed the Baldur's Gate saga a few months ago (including Siege of Dragonspear) and i have to admit i couldn't put them down. They are still quality games. I can also replay Fallout 1 and 2 all day long. But games like Divinity Original Sin or Pillars of Eternity? YAWN! Really overrated clones with no soul.

:notsureifserious:

Including Siege of Dragonspear.
BG saga with SOD was like having the opportunity to have sex with Brianna Banks (BG1 & TOSTC) to Jenna Jameson (BG2) but then being told you had to stick Ron Jeremy in there, or Peter Of The North...
But I get the gist of you post if serious.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
People will still use the nostalgia argument as long as codexers praise the subhuman soulless turd that F2 is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom