Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I will never not be upset at the fact Bethesda are exploting a franchise they didn't create. Literally all of their marketing is based around things that Interplay designed.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The only reason pipboy is remotely interesting is when you set him in the horrifying apocalypse setting. Bethestardia does not seem to understand fallout in any way and just uses him like a cute cartoon pokemon.
Nobody understands fallout the way you do.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
The only reason pipboy is remotely interesting is when you set him in the horrifying apocalypse setting. Bethestardia does not seem to understand fallout in any way and just uses him like a cute cartoon pokemon.

Technically the Vault Boy was meant to be a cute cartoon pokemon when he was designed in the pre-war era.

On a positive note, Bethesda decided to treat this thing as a spinoff, not as yet another Fallout. I wish they had this brilliant idea from the start: Fallout: DC Shooter, Fallout: Settlement Helper etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
f76.jpg

http://massivelyop.com/2018/06/01/amazon-posts-and-retracts-a-july-2018-release-date-for-fallout-76/

AMAZON POSTS AND RETRACTS A JULY 2018 RELEASE DATE FOR FALLOUT 76

This past week’s announcement of Fallout 76 — Bethesda’s newest entry in the post-apocalyptic series — has just about everyone in the gaming community buzzing. And while we’re sure to hear more about this at E3, one vital piece of information may have already been leaked: the release date.

When Amazon posted the game’s pre-order page, it initially listed the game as releasing by July 31st, 2018. That date has since been changed to “on or before December 31st, 2019,” but there are some that wonder if Amazon might know a thing or two that we don’t. After all, Bethesda has said that it wants to drastically shorten the time between game announcements and releases. Another theory is that the multiple Halloween references in the teaser video point to an October launch.

Fallout 76 is retailing for $60, although you may want to wait until E3 (June 12th through 14th) to find out more (including a documentary on the making of the game!). We do know that it takes place long before the last couple of entries in the franchise and has some sort of online multiplayer component. Rumor is that it’s a survival sandbox of some sort. Your thoughts?

Seems too early to be real, no?

Epsilon

Cipher
Ideal date if they want to release two major products this year. But I don't see that happening.

Gee, I can't wait for Bethesda's vision of a survival game, considering how devoid of challenge all of their past games are.

Instead of hunger, thirst, and cold/heat meters, this game might have the Awesome meter and the Dragonborn meter. The longer you go without doing something Awesome (i.e. blowing up Deathclaws, slaying dragons, etc), the lower the Awesome meter will go. If it dips to zero, a half human, half dragon avatar of Todd Howard will appear on your screen, yelling Do-Re-Mi-Fa Fus-Doh-Rah, and encouraging you to purchase Awesome-increasing DLCs. Conversely, the Dragonborn meter will be refilled with grinding (collecting wood, iron, arrows to knees), and will enhance quest compasses with extra functionality. At full meter, you can watch TV and the game will play itself.

If its in Virginia, its probably the Super-Orcs fom Vault 89, not the REAL Super Mutants from OG Mariposa and shit, who actually matter.
Seriously, these East Coast Super Mutants are totally pointless. They didn't even have the dignity of weaving their plots around them, they're literally just huge angry chunks of murderbeef.

Squid

Arbiter
If its in Virginia, its probably the Super-Orcs fom Vault 89

You're probably right. Some people say WVa is the location but that would still be close enough for BGS to push Super Mutants being in the game. Or they'll just make new Super-Orcs for the new location like they have before. I wish they'd just use something new rather than Super Mutants.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If its in Virginia, its probably the Super-Orcs fom Vault 89, not the REAL Super Mutants from OG Mariposa and shit, who actually matter.
Seriously, these East Coast Super Mutants are totally pointless. They didn't even have the dignity of weaving their plots around them, they're literally just huge angry chunks of murderbeef.

I don't even remember... Vault-Tec was doing an FEV experiment in Vault 89, right? Despite the fact Fallout 1 seemed to say The Master invented it? Or did he just find it at the military base? I fucking forget, I'm not the best lore hound out there.

Squid

Arbiter
Yeah, I think it was Vault-Tec doing it on purpose if not, it was close enough. The Master did not invent FEV but discovered it and experimented with it for years. He discovered with a few other people (including Harold) in the same year Fallout 76 is speculated to take place which is 2102. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
FEV was developed before the war by West Tek on a contract for the the US government to create a counter agent to the New Plague.
Originally called the pan immunity virion project, the scientists at West Tek noticed unusual mutations taking place in creatures such as flatworms and raccoons that were injected with it such as tissue regenerating faster (including nerve tissue), increase of tissue such as muscles, and even neuron tissue now "replicating" itself. (increasing the intelligence in higher vertebrates)

The military took notice of the now renamed Forced Evolution Virus as a potential means to create super soldiers, and in 2076 the research and development of FEV was transferred from West Tek to a dedicated research and development facility, Mariposa base, where FEV would be tried on prisoners of war as well as military prisoners (US soldiers that refused to fight for example, this would eventually lead to the uprising by the soldiers stationed at Mariposa).

Note: the Fallout bible suggests that FEV creatures such as Centaurs were already created before the war during the experiments.
Deathclaws are the result of different genetic engineering research that may not involve FEV.

Richard Moreau/Grey and fellow expedition members (including an unmutated Harold) would eventually come across Mariposa base when they were looking for the source of the mutants that were causing trouble in the trade routes.

Moreau would accidentally fall into one of the vats after being hit by a robot crane while Harold received lesser exposure to pure FEV that would later turn him into a mutant that looks like a Ghoul (Harold is not a Ghoul)
After Moreau crawled out of the vats his body started to mutate and he would develop the ability to neurolink with the computers of Mariposa base, learning about the FEV research and development that took place here as well as the earlier results of FEV.

Moreau (now renamed the Master) would continue to work on improving FEV, creating FEV2 which made it possible to create Super Mutants and Nightkin that would become the Master's servants, soldiers, and eventually worshipers.

It is highly unlikely that Vault Tec would be contracted by the US government to build a Vault dedicated to FEV research as there was already a dedicated facility for it, let alone that Vault Tec would be able to get their hands on a supply as the FEV project was top secret.

Vault Tec having FEV and the Institute for that matter is a major retcon in Bethsda's Fallouts that doesn't make sense.

Prior to the rediscovery the only FEV in the environment was "wild" FEV which is perhaps responsible for some of the mutant creatures in the wasteland. Humans infected by it would not undergo any changes or transformation but would be immune to the pure product, killing them when exposed to it or turn into less intelligent super mutants.

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
The Master did not invent FEV but discovered it and experimented with it for years. He discovered with a few other people (including Harold) in the same year Fallout 76 is speculated to take place which is 2102. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct ;)

Turjan

Arcane
I don't even remember... Vault-Tec was doing an FEV experiment in Vault 89, right? Despite the fact Fallout 1 seemed to say The Master invented it? Or did he just find it at the military base? I fucking forget, I'm not the best lore hound out there.
You can safely ignore any Bethesda Fallout lore at this point. They don't care. Anything goes, as long as it's "cool". The supermutants in Boston were produced by the Institute, for example. They have several different origin stories for different kinds of power armor. At some point you just have to decide to not bother.

The world doesn't make the slightest sense, anyway.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Well, if they don't have supermutant in fallout 4, lots of people will scream "WHERE IS MY SPUERMUTANT?" anyway.

Cael

Arcane
"It didn't make sense to me, so fuck it up the arse" seem to be the mantra of game developers these days. All they are interested in is the money. The fucks would put Vancian magic into Fallout if they thought it would make them extra cash (and if WotC wouldn't sue their pants off).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom