Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just so you wait, this isn't even Sawyer's final form. By the time he is done with game balance to make POTD more challenging it will be the ultimate RTWP experience. Truly the BG2 with garbage story, writing and companions but best combatfaggotry.
So, the same as BG2 (without SCS), but with added combatfaggotry then?

Edit: I misread your post :D

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Parabalus so you don't see that the game have a ton of cut content? For me it is pretty obvious. It is either because of the VO or it is cut for dlc.
Example, please.
Have you finished the game? Ok i will give you a few examples.
There are quite a few quests that feel that they should have more to them,like the archmage quest line,you finish it when you talk to the archmage council and that is it,it is pretty obvious that there was more quests after this but they got cut. Also there is a lot of named NPCs that you can't talk with that stay there and do nothing. Good example is the priest that just stay in the centre of queens breath and do nothing. Another example is that rat girl in the pirate fort near the first island,wasn't she supposed to be a side kick? Here is a picture.
sidekick-mirke-pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire.jpg

There are quiet a few more small things that feel unfinished. Also only 5 soulbound shitty weapons!

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm reading the comments and it seems that characters and writing are some the worse aspects of the game. How the hell did this happen, these are the things Obsidian should excell at, aren't they?
The character/writing quality is inconsistent. It seems that the writer distilled the companions to a number of core traits and wrote them to fit the new companion reputation/loyalty system. Hence, what may have been a subtle trait in PoE1 now hits you in the face. Relative to PoE1, the companions are hyper reactive and over the top at times. Granted, Xoti is a borderline religious zealot, and so it may fit that she comes off as crazy. Still, I do not think it would be as grating if the pace of development was a little slower.

In contrast, the non-companion characters appear more interesting. I found the Prince/Queen of Neketaka to have a neat dynamic and to be level-headed, which the companions lack at times. I need more time with the sidekicks, but Rekke and Yidwin appear to have an interesting hook, even though they have less dialogue than the companions.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Just so you wait, this isn't even Sawyer's final form. By the time he is done with game balance to make POTD more challenging it will be the ultimate RTWP experience. Truly the BG2 with garbage story, writing and companions but best combatfaggotry.
So, the same as BG2 (without SCS), but with added combatfaggotry then?

Yes, the tone and quality of writing in the game reminded me of BG2, which is bad and silly. If Sawyer is serious about POTD challenge and balancing however, especially with the incoming DLC content which likely will focus on combat and unique encounters, it can be something else.

Parabalus

Arcane
Did you use any level 8/9 wizard spells? They win encounters alone with one cast.
Yeah well, there are quite a few low level spells that do the same. Mine can use level 8 now. Since she is a Conjurer, she can use her level 8 casts to protect herself with a thingie and uuh summon a bow with 10-20 damage. :balance:

That bow terrifies on hit, which is hard CC. It's close to an IWIN button.
You also have Major Grimoire Imprint, which if you cast lets you spam the stolen spell infinitely.

Conjurers might be the weakest subclass though, the evocation spells are the really broken ones.

BG doesn't have auto resolve aka space,double speed and quadruple speed for combat. Even on hard you can just hit space and watch the enemy die,the game plays itself. Number of quests doesn't equal a lot of content. By that logic Skyrim have infinite amount of quests because of the radiant,therefore it have infinite amount of content. Most of the Deadfire quests are are pointless "talk to some guy" quests with a lot of space/loading screens between the quest giver and the person that you have to talk to. That is made so the game could feel longer than it is. I will give you an example:
The quest about the niggers noble houses quest line is:
You talk to a girl in front of the house
You talk to the people at the waterfall
You talk to the mother
You talk to a street artist
You talk to some girl in Gulag after 30 seconds of fight or you could just sneak and steal the information
You talk to the mother again
Now you have a choice,to kill the people in the vault and eventually one of the families or decide to go and talk to the other family
You now talk to the man
You talk to his son and he sends you on quest
You talk with bunch of sharks,you can kill them but there is no need
You talk again to the son
You talk to the father and he agrees to a meeting
You talk to the mother,she agrees
You talk at the meeting,depending on the performance you either kill them or they make a deal.
That is it! Amazing 5-6 quests there,really nice content mate.

And this shit gets praised here!

So you play on Easy with 4x speed and complain you don't have to do anything? Do you also just CTRL-Y in Bg2? How the fuck do you get 40 hours in SoA?
Majority of Bg quests are even more straightforward than that dude.

Skyrim is a huge game even without the infinite quest gimmick, nobody sane contests that, people dislike the content, not breadth.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Otherwise, yeah, as an intermediate boss encounter it was cool, but for me at least turned in just left clicking zombie after zombie - ultimately barely losing any hp and no resources, consumables or anything of sort.

Maybe es a matter of level, because at level 7 (or was it 6, I cant remember) I had to do a bit moar than left clicking zombie after zombie, and at the end I had only 2 dudes left standing.

But yep, no resources lost in the end, and IMO this might be shaping up to be this game's biggest flaw gameplay-wise. Since Everyone Is A Rest Spammer (tm) and grave injuries miraculously go away after eating some oranges, winning a tough fight doesn't really amount to much, especially if you neglect consumables and just aim to have at least one goy alive to win.

Still,

also kealed the shai-hulud on the same map and it was also a cool fight

i'm having fun

what have you done to me sawyer
Then i will recommend you to not level above level 10,after that the combat becomes auto resolve. Anyway,have fun while it lasts :salute:.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
If game is too easy on hardest setting - we all know at what Target Audience it is aimed at.

RPGcodex shouldnt support such games. We have standarts. If devs dont bother to make challenging game for those who want it challenging and aim at lowest common denominator players (i.e. 100% casuals and console-users), this is decline.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Otherwise, yeah, as an intermediate boss encounter it was cool, but for me at least turned in just left clicking zombie after zombie - ultimately barely losing any hp and no resources, consumables or anything of sort.

Maybe es a matter of level, because at level 7 (or was it 6, I cant remember) I had to do a bit moar than left clicking zombie after zombie, and at the end I had only 2 dudes left standing.

But yep, no resources lost in the end, and IMO this might be shaping up to be this game's biggest flaw gameplay-wise. Since Everyone Is A Rest Spammer (tm) and grave injuries miraculously go away after eating some oranges, winning a tough fight doesn't really amount to much, especially if you neglect consumables and just aim to have at least one goy alive to win.

Still,

also kealed the shai-hulud on the same map and it was also a cool fight

i'm having fun

what have you done to me sawyer
What surprises me is that the wound system for shipmates appears to have more complexity than the player wound system. If I recall correctly, wounded shipmates can take several days to heal, which can be sped up by medicine, surgeons, etc.

I wonder if that could be carried over to the player wound system.

If game is too easy on hardest setting - we all know at what Target Audience it is aimed at.

RPGcodex shouldnt support such games. We have standarts. If devs dont bother to make challenging game for those who want it challenging and aim at lowest common denominator players (i.e. 100% casuals and console-users), this is decline.

The game does have some neat encounters, but the multiclass system allows you to combine a lot of bullshit feats and spells. For example, if I did not cheese with empowered Milonetta's Missiles, then many encounters would become far more difficult.

I am not a fan of health bloat, but 50-100 additional hp on certain enemies would help immensely in my opinion.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
BG doesn't have auto resolve aka space,double speed and quadruple speed for combat. Even on hard you can just hit space and watch the enemy die,the game plays itself. Number of quests doesn't equal a lot of content. By that logic Skyrim have infinite amount of quests because of the radiant,therefore it have infinite amount of content. Most of the Deadfire quests are are pointless "talk to some guy" quests with a lot of space/loading screens between the quest giver and the person that you have to talk to. That is made so the game could feel longer than it is. I will give you an example:
You talk to the mother
You talk to some girl in Gulag after 30 seconds of fight or you could just sneak and steal the information
Now you have a choice,to kill the people in the vault and eventually one of the families or decide to go and talk to the other family
You now talk to the man
You talk at the meeting,depending on the performance you either kill them or they make a deal.

So you play on Easy with 4x speed and complain you don't have to do anything? Do you also just CTRL-Y in Bg2? How the fuck do you get 40 hours in SoA?

Skyrim is a huge game even without the infinite quest gimmick, nobody sane contests that, people dislike the content, not breadth.

Are you retarded or are just pretending to be?! Where the fuck i said that i played on easy???????????? I played on normal(ckassic) up until level 10 after that i switched to hard. The game have auto resolve when you just let that AI of the companions do the fight. They do cast and attack automagically and everything dies....even on hard. The game is extremely easy,the only hard fight i had was against the vampires in from of the Crypt on the undead island. Even had to reload a few times and drop to classic difficulty.

You totally missed my point about scyrim,and decided to beat around the bush. I didn't talk about skyrim,i just gave you an example of how numbers of quest doesn't equal content.

Also that are 5-6 quests in deadfire. BG are more straightforward,but they are an actual content and not just running around between loading screens and talking with idiots. BG games have a lot more real content than this game!

fobia

Normal mode is easy mode in Deadfire, that much has been clear since after the first few hours after release, there are countless posts in this thread that say so and suggest to play on PotD, because lower difficulties are way too easy. But fantadomat is being fantadomat, playing on classic and having a fit when somebody questions his (all too often questionable) statements. :shittydog:

Parabalus

Arcane
You talk to the mother
You now talk to the man

Are you retarded or are just pretending to be?! Where the fuck i said that i played on easy???????????? I played on normal(ckassic) up until level 10 after that i switched to hard. The game have auto resolve when you just let that AI of the companions do the fight. They do cast and attack automagically and everything dies....even on hard. The game is extremely easy,the only hard fight i had was against the vampires in from of the Crypt on the undead island. Even had to reload a few times and drop to classic difficulty.

You totally missed my point about scyrim,and decided to beat around the bush. I didn't talk about skyrim,i just gave you an example of how numbers of quest doesn't equal content.

Also that are 5-6 quests in deadfire. BG are more straightforward,but they are an actual content and not just running around between loading screens and talking with idiots. BG games have a lot more real content than this game!

Bg2 is also extremely easy when you play it on Storytime. Who cares?

You claim you did Deadfire in 25 hours and SoA in 50-60 hours, makes me think you are full of shit.

Only way that's possible if you can't play IE games and repeatedly wipe - SoA has less quests, and likely less combat (trash mobs) and less dialogue, probably also less areas.

Saying SoA is more than double the duration of Deadfire is very suspect.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Ultimately the biggest problem with the combat is the health/wound system which basically amounts to Dragon Age style. The old health/endurance was superior in every way. At least you had to manage *some* resources, use your spells conservatively. If you didn't backtrack like a retard after every fight (they know who they are), it was inevitable that you would you occasionally land into a no-win situation.

I've had some 2-3 fights where I barely managed to avoid a full party wipe, but it just amounts to nothing because for the next one I automatically have full HP and all of the resources I could possibly want.

As for post-launch support, I wouldn't worry. They went with a rather pricy season pass so they have to make DLCs big enough to justify it. And if there's one thing Sawyer can be trusted with is that he will patch up the combat until he bleeds.

Last edited:

Lexx

Cipher
cool fight this
It would have been cool if at least half of your characters were at 0 hp and one of them was already gibs and couldn't be resurrected (with the rest being paralyzed and one fighter not being able to wound anything because he has only regular sword and needs a +1 one).

Funny enough, that is exactly what happened to my party on my first try. Eder was the last man standing and barely made it through.

The difficulty is fucked for sure, because one or two levels after that encounter and the big fat worm, nothing else in the game could stop me anymore.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I should have waited a few months before playing it, because PotD is way too easy. My 1st death was 12 hours in. 30 hours later and I only have to rest if I stumble into traps otherwise I auto attack everything to death.
And when people played Bg1 first time they were dying left and right on normal difficulty. Games have declined so much.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Ultimately the biggest problem with the combat is the health/wound system which basically amounts to Dragon Age style. The old health/endurance was superior in every way. At least you had to manage *some* resources, use your spells conservatively, and if you didn't backtrack like a retard after every fight, it was inevitable that you would you occasionally land into a no-w cin situation.

I've had some 2-3 fights where I barely managed to avoid a full party wipe, but it just amounts to nothing because for the next one I automatically have full HP and all of the resources I could possibly want.

As for post-launch support, I wouldn't worry. They went with a rather pricy season pass so they have to make DLCs big enough to justify it. And if there's one thing Sawyer can be trusted with is that he will patch up the combat until he bleeds.
I do not find the wound system bad per se, but it is just far too lenient to be of relevance. Wounds only occur from knockouts or CYOA, and can be instantly fixed by resting with hardtack. In my opinion, Obsidian could make it more relevant if wounds were easier to receive (i.e., specific creature abilities can wound a character), or make healing wounds a greater endeavor (e.g., the current crew member wound system). Until then, we have the simplest input on either side of the mechanic.

Parabalus

Arcane
Ultimately the biggest problem with the combat is the health/wound system which basically amounts to Dragon Age style. The old health/endurance was superior in every way. At least you had to manage *some* resources, use your spells conservatively, and if you didn't backtrack like a retard after every fight, it was inevitable that you would you occasionally land into a no-w cin situation.

I do not find the wound system bad per se, but it is just far too lenient to be of relevance. Wounds only occur from knockouts or CYOA, and can be instantly fixed by resting with hardtack. In my opinion, Obsidian could make it more relevant if wounds were easier to receive (i.e., specific creature abilities can wound a character), or make healing wounds a greater endeavor (e.g., the current crew member wound system). Until then, we have the simplest input on either side of the mechanic.

Adding stuff to make wounds/endurance harder kinda is pointless while resting is free. I doubt they will add rest constraints, so they might as well remove wounds, not like they do anything.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You really don't want to see this! But if it brings incline to the genre i will take one for the team. Sadly it won't,it will bring incline only to a bunch of perverted faggots on the codex.
:negative:
Honestly i am depressed by this thread,seeing how a bunch of teen retards defend and excuse dumpsterfire while proclaiming it the best rtwp of all times,it really brings pain to my heart to see the codex having such a low standard.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Are there analogues to the twisted rune, kangaxx, found items taken to cromwell, and random lich fights in inns in deadfire?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Classic === Easy. Until The Balancing anyway.
Triple equals. Now even more equal than double equals.
Just so that you know what you don't even know, == means "If equal, then". It does not mean equal. Stop being an ignorant asshole.
Thank you for your well-intentioned attempt to clarify. I am well aware of the meaning and function of comparison operators.

However, I am making fun of people in general using them incorrectly, something which Prime Junta already knows, whereas you don't know it, or you wouldn't be making your well-intentioned and extremely helpful attempt at explaining things to me.

The reason I am mocking the practice of using comparison operators out of place, is because if you really want to say "X is the same as Y" you would not use a FUCKING COMPARISON OPERATOR. No. If you know what you are talking about, which as it seems you do not know, you would use an assignment operator, which is a simple "=". You got it now?

Even the little bit of poo-poo you spilled in your highly informative post isn't quiiite accurate, because "if equal, then" would be a flow control statement, and "===" is a comparison operator.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom