Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I want everyone to respect my cultural traditions and right to have harems as I participate in aggressive conquest. Thank you for your concern.
Beta boys like you would be out dying in the field. Don't tell me you've ever dreamed of being the Grand Vizier.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
You only know they're bisexual because you read about it on the Internet, the bisexuality as such is a non-issue. These are for all intents and purposes gay romance options.

I have more respect for people who own up to being squicked out by teh homos then to all this fake pretension about "bad writing".

The real bad writing is the concept of RPG romances in general, gay or straight. I mean I guess the gay romances are a bit worse simply because most players can't imagine themselves engaging in them in real life under any circumstance, but that seems like a difference of degree rather than kind.
It's not just the hitting on the PC thing. Maia, Serafen, and fishboy bring up in regular dialogues how they are DTF anything and everything. It's especially out of character for Maia, this supposedly hyper disciplined soldier, to immediately start sharing her sexual depravities with her new captain. And the fact that they're all bisexual just drives home how they were written to pander. New Vegas handled this fine with Cass and Arcade.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Don try to twist my words. I said people in general, not me. I'm obviously used to this kind of thing, otherwhise I would not read the Codex. The difference between you and me is that I can put myself in other people's shoes. You can't.

And because "people in general" have a problem, you are on a crusade to make those filthy bisexuals go away. Why are you trying to defend an obviously irrational position? Especially since you are so inclined towards the "facts"? Why don't you have a strong opinion on this and have to rely on what the "majority" of people think? I've made it perfectly clear that I'm against romances in games because, 99% of the time, they are cringey and creepy, so I don't have a personal stake in the romances in PoE2.

Tygrende

Arbiter
WTWlsJq.png

Someone explain this fucking math to me please. No matter what I do with those numbers, it doesn't add up.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Obsidian is about to go under, the game dropped on steam page harder than Nancy Pelosis tits, Avellone wants to murder Feargus and people are furiously talking about homos and trannies, nice to see everyone is focusing on the right issue.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The entire subject of sexuality is handled awfully on all the layers, going from the top on how it impacts the setting and worldbuilding, all down to the level of individual dialogue nodes which are poorly written.

Homosexuality seems to be universally accepted, which in a world packed to the brim with dozens of cultures with varying agendas and beliefs and social structures, just makes no sense. There had to be at least one tribe that castrates homosexuals and throws them to the fishes.

The quantity of this kind of content is also just off-putting. 90% of human population on Earth is exclusively hetero, but on Eora it seems like everybody likes it up the ass at least twice week.

Combined together, it gives Deadfire a distinct feel that you're interacting with a world where 21st century Californians were magically teleported into another realm and told to LARP indigenious populations.

I'm sorry, but when I fire up a setting that is supposed to roughly mimic XVII-century colonial era, running into characters that wouldn't be out of place on Tumblr is just awkward.

As for the writing, it's not that NPCs hit on you. It's that they bluntly hit on you, which I find incredibly childish and of a poor taste. My PC is a tiny Orlan, forgive me if I'm not thrilled about gigantic Aumaua putting his elephant-sized dick in my ass and all the way to my liver.

Ohmsquare

Novice
A simple tweak to XP gain modifiers:
  1. The file you’ll need is in the gamedata folder within the game directory (e.g. \steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata).
  2. The file is called global.gamedatabundle.
  3. Backup that file before you modify it and open it with any text editor (Windows Notepad works just fine).
  4. Search for the entries "QuestXPMultiplier", "CombatXPMultiplier", "ExplorationXPMultiplier" and "TrapLockXPMultiplier" and tweak their individual values.
  5. For example, I wanted 2x slower levelling, so I divided all the values by 2. I.e. "QuestXPMultiplier":0.675 etc.

Sentinel

Arcane
Folks don't be dishonest, you don't care about the companions being "bisexual", you care about male companions wanting to fuck your male PC

You only know they're bisexual because you read about it on the Internet, the bisexuality as such is a non-issue. These are for all intents and purposes gay romance options.

I have more respect for people who own up to being squicked out by teh homos then to all this fake pretension about "bad writing".

The real bad writing is the concept of RPG romances in general, gay or straight. I mean I guess the gay romances are a bit worse simply because most players can't imagine themselves engaging in them in real life under any circumstance, but that seems like a difference of degree rather than kind.

Anyway, PoE1 had hundreds of pages long threads on the Obsidian forums whining about romances, so this is what you get.
I think it's bad writing because it cheapens the companions, they stop feeling like real people in the world are become this tool merely there for the pleasure of the player. It'd be one thing it was established that everyone in Eora is bisexual but you're telling me that out of 7 or 8 companions I meet, they're all bisexual? What are the odds?

I wonder how much money/time was spent to do these romances because the companion quests so far are pure shit. I completed Xoti and Aloth's, and I don't know what the point was. Nothing changed. They didn't evolve as characters, no conclusion was arrived at... only thing that happened was that Xoti tried to fuck me but I rejected it and the cringe was immense.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
On another note, I've been thinking this game is really stingy on gold this whole time. I finally sold out my stash and got a fat 10,000 deadfire bucks so I finally had some spending money. Nope, 5 minutes later all my money is wiped out. smdh.

Also every time I level up, the third weapon slot gets reset to unarmed.

Besides this, I'm not finding it a very buggy game.

Parabalus

Arcane

It's not just the hitting on the PC thing. Maia, Serafen, and fishboy bring up in regular dialogues how they are DTF anything and everything. It's especially out of character for Maia, this supposedly hyper disciplined soldier, to immediately start sharing her sexual depravities with her new captain. And the fact that they're all bisexual just drives home how they were written to pander. New Vegas handled this fine with Cass and Arcade.

There are a few other random Rauatain soldiers who share a similar attitude, so it might be part of culture. Not sure whether that's any better though.

On another note, I've been thinking this game is really stingy on gold this whole time. I finally sold out my stash and got a fat 10,000 deadfire bucks so I finally had some spending money. Nope, 5 minutes later all my money is wiped out. smdh.

Also every time I level up, the third weapon slot gets reset to unarmed.

Besides this, I'm not finding it a very buggy game.

Like PoE1 cash is hard early, this last longer than the 1st game :incline:, later on "trash" drops legendary XX which sells for 10k a pop.

There is an avoidable boss who is worth 90k gold in enchanting mats, there are likely a few more.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Like PoE1 cash is hard early, this last longer than the 1st game :incline:, later on "trash" drops legendary XX which sells for 10k a pop.
I don't even know if it is scarce, the game is deleting my moneyz randomly. I think when you get cash as a quest reward it resets your wealth to only that amount.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
And because "people in general" have a problem, you are on a crusade to make those filthy bisexuals go away. Why are you trying to defend an obviously irrational position? Especially since you are so inclined towards the "facts"? Why don't you have a strong opinion on this and have to rely on what the "majority" of people think? I've made it perfectly clear that I'm against romances in games because, 99% of the time, they are cringey and creepy, so I don't have a personal stake in the romances in PoE2.
No, you are confused. It’s one thing to criticise SJW pandering and their influence on culture. It’s another thing to criticise minorities sexual orientation, and it is still another thing to engage in autistic debates about cRPG minutiae, including writing, realism of the setting, etc. This can be hardly called a crusade. This what we do when we are not shitposting. I’m sorry that you are so defensive due to other people’s prejudices, but you should stop and think before you make these associations.

My PC is a tiny Orlan, forgive me if I'm not thrilled about gigantic Aumaua putting his elephant-sized dick in my ass and all the way to my liver.
LMAO

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Tygrende

According to MaxQuest (Obs forumite extraordinaire) the game uses double inversion for negative numbers, resulting in maluses (such as a graze effect) taking a bigger chunk out of the pie than one would expect:

aweigh0101, on 12 May 2018 - 1:49 PM, said:

Can someone explain to me what the double inversion on negative numbers and maluses means in game terms?

The game adds all coefficients together. Bonuses, maluses, doesn't matter.
In PoE1 it worked fine, since there weren't enough big maluses.
While in Deadfire a similar approach would lead to negative damage on under-penetrating graze.

A lazy workaround could be to limit the damage at 0, or 20% of original value.
A better way would be to divide sum_of_bonuses by sum_of_maluses (all numbers being positive, so the result will be positive as well, plus it ends up with meaningful result).
But Deadfire went on the path of double-inversion. Which personally I see as math shenanigans, as they use different sub-formulas for bonuses and maluses, and do not cancel-out nicely if they have same absolute values. Specifically, imagine that you have:
+25% action speed from Frenzy, which translates into 1.25 speed coefficient; and
-25% action speed from Arbalest's modal, which translates into 0.75 speed coefficient

The game takes 1.25 and transforms it into +0.25 (step_value) via [coef - 1] formula
The game takes 0.75 and transforms it into -0.(3) (step_value) via [1 - 1/coef] formula
Now it adds them together: step_sum = 0.25 - 0.333333 = -0.083333

And after that computes the final coefficient:
- if step_sum is greater than 0: final_coef = step_sum + 1
- if step_sum is less than 0: final_coef = 1 / (1 - step_sum)

In our case it's the later, thus final_coef = 1 / (1 - -0.083333) = 0.92
And finnaly: phase_time = base_phase_time / final_coef

So if you had 6s reload; with Frenzy and Arbalest's modal you will have 6.52s, even if one effect was giving you +25% action speed, and another -25% action speed.

P.S. We call it double inversion because:
- individual malus coefficients are inverted when computing their individual step values
- if step_sum is below zero, it is inverted in order to get final coefficient

TLDR: If you have a positive 25 effect, and a negative 25 effect, the negative one affects the math more times.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
LFMAO

Guys, when you say, “I object to all this gay stuff and I object to the social justice agenda, but I’m not a homophobe,” you realize you have totally internalized that agenda, right? Why are you adhering to this value system you claim to hate? Pussies.

Say what you will about hardcore feminists, when they hate men they have no problem admitting it.

Also, I say again, it makes perfect sense that half the characters are bi in a nautically themed game. You guys should see what Greenwich Village looks like during Fleet Week, when the sailors come to town.

To put it another way:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Apparently this came up because players were reporting damage result math that wasn't cancelling itself out back to base value as a bug... they had to be informed they were enjoying one of the new features in Deadfire.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
So I just had my first dragon fight on veteran, rendered completely trivial and ridicule by the general undertuning of enemy's stats.

the encounter design is straight out of an mmo, to make it worse. With safe spots, phases depending on the boss health etc... meeeeh

Sentinel

Arcane
So I just had my first dragon fight on veteran, rendered completely trivial and ridicule by the general undertuning of enemy's stats.

the encounter design is straight out of an mmo, to make it worse. With safe spots, phases depending on the boss health etc... meeeeh
there's nothing inherently wrong with boss phases imo. just because MMOs popularized them (did they?) doesn't make it a bad thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom