Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

2house2fly

Magister
Sales may be down because there's supposed to be some big summer sale coming up in a month from now and the shekelodytes need that 10% discount.
Iirc the number of games on Steam more than doubled between Pillars 1 coming out and now. Sheer crowding and the summer sale effect can be devastating for sales. Although if the publisher knew they'd be releasing right before summer sale time that might explain the higher price...

2house2fly

Magister
In every rpg i always make and play with female main PC, but this time i am afraid about the fact they added romance, don't wanna see Eder or Aloth or whatever asking me to fuck.

What can i do? :negative:
I really, really want to see Eder and Aloth asking me to fuck.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sales may be down because there's supposed to be some big summer sale coming up in a month from now and the shekelodytes need that 10% discount.
Iirc the number of games on Steam more than doubled between Pillars 1 coming out and now. Sheer crowding and the summer sale effect can be devastating for sales. Although if the publisher knew they'd be releasing right before summer sale time that might explain the higher price...

even games that aren't on sale or only a small 10% discount do better during the summer sale than other parts of the year due to the sheer volume and increase in steam store activity..

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The most tedious battle i have had in my life,that fag is just immune to everything and you have to relay on crits.

Oh please. He is not immune to everything.

Also don't be fag posting spoilers.
Yeah,it turned out that it was a bug the first time,on second try i killed him easily. Also sorry for the spoilers,didn't know that mentioning of a guy that dies in a trash fight will hurt your enjoyment of the game.
did you not kill Concelhaut in PoE1?
I did,but he is magically resurrected. I even got his head.....again. He brought back by the god of trash battles.

Quillon

Arcane
After working around my save import issues and playing for 12 hours afterwards; I can safely, without a doubt and authoritatively :D say this game is the best RPG of maybe last 8 years, since NV, could be even better than NV. Can see myself playing this shit over and over, over the years, over and out, roger. There are just too many options for how to play this shit. Only thing that could hold it a little back is ship combat, which is not too bad per se, but could have have been infinitely better with more budget :P Anyway, I'm going back into it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
After working around my save import issues and playing for 12 hours afterwards; I can safely, without a doubt and authoritatively :D say this game is the best RPG of maybe last 8 years, since NV, could be even better than NV. Can see myself playing this shit over and over, over the years, over and out, roger. There are just too many options for how to play this shit. Only thing that could hold it a little back is ship combat, which is not too bad per se, but could have have been infinitely better with more budget :P Anyway, I'm going back into it.
You could have just used the console to add the money......unless you are an achievementfag.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
It's like that old joke: there are people who are trilingual, people who are bilingual, and Americans. I agree 100%; it's crystal clear that most of this stuff was written by people who are only fluent in English. They're getting the cadence of it from American television. The faux-Italian faux-Pacific islander interjections are how non-native English speakers talk on bad police procedurals.

Eh, I'm pretty sure this faux italian shit is all sawyer's fault since he developed the fictional languages and wrote Palagina. He's definitely not monolingual. I think the main problem is just that every throwaway character is voice-acted and the accents make ears bleed.

I didn't think twice about the odd di verus from random NPCs in PoE1 because it was just there to signal that these characters are of a certain culture and give some flavor to the text, but it doesn't serve the same purpose when you already have a voice and accent.

Shadenuat

Arcane
sell shit
buy a galleon
name some epic 40k name like Macharius
-50000 ducats on everything and upgrades
install 4 imperial long cannons on one side, 4 shotguns on another
experienced crew from going through storms
meet a pirate ship
turn to port
fire all the long range cannons in just a single volley
rekked
collect loot
ahoy

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I lost Pallegina. The brave soldier is now with her favorite entities, the gods.

Concelhaut's death curse. By the time I knew what it was doing, she got gibbed.

Parabalus

Arcane
Deadfire is miles better, game hooks you from the start and won't let go.

But is it because of the writing? Thing that hooks me is the setting and the exploration. There's just so much stuff to do and discover, and a lot of it is genuinely delightful -- the locations, the items, the fights, the sheer variety of everything, plus the way the world feels like it exists on its own terms and not just as a theme park for your benefit (more than in most cRPGs anyway). I can't think of many games since BG2 that have given the feeling that there are secrets to discover behind every door and under every rock. So I'm really digging the worldbuilding and the way it's hooked up to a whole bunch of game systems -- the faction reputations, the impact that has on party relations, and so on.

Conversely, I'm not really that interested in what's up with Eothas, nor have I developed any particularly strong fee-fees (pro or con) for any of the companions. (But then TBH that's the case for BG2 as well -- apart from a few really well-delivered monologues for Irenicus, the writing isn't anything to write home about either.)

My take is that the story+background lore is very compelling, but the delivery is still lacking, mainly because of cringe.

I agree that the background lore is good. Deadfire is a cool place and the conflicts between the trading companies and locals seems to be treated fairly well.

I'm not sold on the main story though. I mean, this statue thing is silly right? And the fact that it's the statue from under your house from that one sidequest in the first game.... why. I don't mind the idea of having a war among the gods plot, tbat could actually be kind of cool, but the way they tied it to the PC just seems weird.

I don't think the statue silly by itself. Obs went through a lot of effort in PoE1 endless paths and White March to set it up as a rational choice for Eothas.

The way all of it is presented to you at the beginning is comical though. There is a badass animated background with Eothas later on, they should have done one in the beginning for when he tramples you, would make it more palatable instead of the current, which makes it hard to take the start seriously.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
sell shit
buy a galleon
name some epic 40k name like Macharius
-50000 ducats on everything and upgrades
install 4 imperial long cannons on one side, 4 shotguns on another
experienced crew from going through storms
meet a pirate ship
turn to port
fire all the long range cannons in just a single volley
rekked
collect loot
ahoy

-10 points for 40k instead of fantasy.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
AwesomeButton
Have you seen this yet? An in-game GUI that executes most known console commands, along with support for running custom scripts:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/2

About this mod
You haven't downloaded this mod yet
Unity-Console is an IronPython-base Debug Console for Windows-based Unity games. The basic idea is to run custom python code in Unity that enables opening a console window where scripts can be run that manipulate the game. For PoE2, the default script shows a cheat menu and allows basic edits.
2-1525836841-287393689.png

2-1525836914-138056467.png

This is effectively a cheat console for Pillars of Eternity II. Should work with any Windows versions though can break if there are major updates. You may have to apply the mod again after repairing or major updates.

The console is more than just a cheat tool as any number of scripts can be run but it is likely what will most likely be used for since that is included by default. It can be quite useful in exploring the current state of the game programmatically for those with the talent.

The default scripts create an in-game cheat menu depending on what is open:
  • Team / Main Map
    • Make Characters untargetable or unhurtable
    • Heal all wounds (Also resets spell counts, Cipher Focus, Chanter Phrases)
    • Automatically Run script which heals characters every second
    • Teleport (instantly move to destination)
  • Character Summary
    • Change Money/Stats/Skills/Disposition/Factions
    • Added Companion Dispositions [0.2]
  • Inventory
    • Duplicate Items (Change Stack Count)
    • Add Mods to Equipment
    • (The available list is dynamic. Any other weapon on current screen needs to have the mod for it to show)
    • Enable Free Recipes for Crafting
    • Added Stash inventory [0.2]
  • Map
    • Reveal current map
  • Ship
    • Change Morale
    • Satiate Crew (food, drink)
    • Fix Crew Injuries
    • Added Food, Drink inventory [0.2]
Notes and Known Issues:
  • On screens like the main map window the clicking buttons will still lead to character moving
  • That is clicking on stuff in the dialog may also click on items under the window leading to unexpected behavior
  • This is very annoying but I don't know how to stop it at this time
  • If you use the X to close the console then it will close the game as well
  • Much of this was written previously during beta and fixed on release so some things may be broken or not yet fully tested with final build.
To Install:
  • Navigate to game folder.
    • Steam: Right click on Game in Library. Select Properties.... Select Local Files tab. Select the Browse Local Files.... button
    • GOG: Select the More button. Select Manage installation. Select Show folder.
  • Unpack zip directly to game folder. PillarsOfEternityII.exe should be in same folder as IPA.exe.
  • Drag game exe over IPA.exe to instrument plugins. (Modifies game dlls but makes backups)
  • Start Pillars of Eternity II
  • Press Ctrl+F8 key to hide the cheat window in upper right corner. Press again to show again.
If you want the menu to be hidden by default change Console.ini file to "pillars.showWindow(visible=False)". To remove:
  • Drag the game .exe onto IPA.exe while holding the Alt key.
You can edit "Plugins\Console\Lib\pillars.py" to add or change the existing cheats. You can reload cheats in the console by typing "import pillars; pillars.showWindow()" the first time then "reload(pillars); pillars.showWindow()" thereafter. I recommend closing the existing window with "X" or it might crash on show due to a race condition that I don't know how to avoid.

Random thought.

I love that everything is expensive. I play already about 40 hours and i am basically Mcscrooge and count every coin i have not spending it any of it because i have some goals on horizon for that money. So i am sailing in my ship covered in birdshit (Betrayed Hylea)
Yeap. Already failed to pay wages once or twice. Didn't expect that after drowning in gold in PoE

Feargus simulator

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It's clearly doing better than Tyranny, worse than PoE1. How much worse we'll only really know on Sunday.

Does Steamspy update on Sunday or somesuch?
he's praying and hoping that 50k people will simultaneously boot up PoE2 on steam because it's the weekend.

It will peak this sunday that much is sure, but it will peak at 25k tops and that's a flop for a game of this magnitude and budget. Especially when you compare it to Divos2 and with full voice acting from a professional studio.

Still, buggy release and direct sequel there is not much to hope.

Parabalus

Arcane
It's clearly doing better than Tyranny, worse than PoE1. How much worse we'll only really know on Sunday.

he's praying and hoping that 50k people will simultaneously boot up PoE2 on steam because it's the weekend.

It will peak this sunday that much is sure, but it will peak at 25k tops and that's a flop for a game of this magnitude and budget. Especially when you compare it to Divos2 and with full voice acting from a professional studio.

Still, buggy release and direct sequel there is not much to hope.

How much did D:OS2 have at peak?

AN4RCHID

Arcane

KCD kept picking up steam and hit its peak the weekend after launch iirc. But it had great word of mouth and relatively poor reviews. Deadfire has stellar reviews but, from what I've seen, relatively less hype. Will be interesting to see where it trends.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wasn't D:OS2 the most played game at release weekend, or the most played after PUBG? Its success was startling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom