Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm really surprised that this didn't get more coverage from mainstream media like kotaku since they usually report studios drama

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm really surprised that this didn't get more coverage from mainstream media like kotaku since they usually report studios drama

Games 'Journalist' sites don't report really, they advertise.

They're currently being paid to write reviews for Deadfire, that's why. Woudn't be surprised if a memo has gone around discouraging reports on this as well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Reporting one man's allegations without verifying with another source or at least getting a comment from Obsidian might not reach sufficient journalistic standards for the higher tier sites (yes, believe it or not). If nobody from Obsidian is willing to talk, there might be nothing.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I mean there's no reason for them to use the Onyx engine on Pillars, or Armored whatever which was what Obsidian was doing, and by the time those games were done Onyx was too dated to use for other games after Stick of Truth. I'm sure the plan was for Obsidian to do the sequel to stick of Truth on it, but they pissed people off because game technical mess and lost that contract.

Gaming journalists also probably need to sleep and this thread has been pretty laff a minute. There will be a dribble of reports through the tier 2 sites at a minimum coming through, drama is fairly hot.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Reporting one man's allegations without verifying with another source or at least getting a comment from Obsidian might not reach sufficient journalistic standards for the higher tier sites (yes, believe it or not). If nobody from Obsidian is willing to talk, there might be nothing.
Ha! Cowards!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's almost the end of my workday, and I have worked around 10 minutes out of 8 hours. The rest was spent browsing this site and the Obsidian forums to scoop up everything about this drama. Well played Codex, well played.

Prime Junta

Can confirm. A "real" journalist would pick up on this, ask to interview both Chris and Feargus as well as possibly others. If none of them agree to being interviewed, they'd probably spike the story.

Since Chris went on the record right here though RPGCodex could write that story based on his comments here, but even then whoever wrote it would be expected to give Feargus and Obsidian the opportunity to reply in the article. If they choose not to, the customary phrase is "XXX could not be reached for comment."

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

:lol:

Everyone loves to point out that MCA is "one man," but he's a man that Obsidian trotted out onto the runway countless times to show off: "YOO-HOO! WE'VE GOT AVELLONE ON BOARD, HERE! CHRIS AVELLONE, EVERYBODY! GOT CHRIS AVELLONE WRITING, BUY OUR GAMES! YOU'RE GONNA LOVE 'EM!". The point being, his word carried a lot of weight with both Obsidian and the fans up until yesterday at least. He's not the building janitor or an intern.

They have zero journalistic standards and can and do report rumors prematurely, if they want to. The only reason they won't in this case is because their paymasters (i.e., developers and publishers) wouldn't like it for reasons that should be obvious. If it were any other kind of unfounded juicy rumor that could get them clicks, it'd be up in an instant.

Your ability to delude yourself and remain in denial about certain things even in the face of so much obviousness truly beggars belief. Is it a special Israeli talent?

Imoens pet

Prospernaut
Shitposter

Ha! Cowards!

More like they don't want to ruin a good business partnership. But, I do get where you're coming from.

2house2fly

Magister

Games 'Journalist' sites don't report really, they advertise.

They're currently being paid to write reviews for Deadfire, that's why. Woudn't be surprised if a memo has gone around discouraging reports on this as well.
Oh yes, every games writer's worst nightmare, the prospect of consequences from Obsidian Entertainment.

Kitchen Utensil

Avellone is just a white male and he hasn't even been sexually harassed. He deserved the treatment, nothing to report.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They have zero journalistic standards and can and do report rumors prematurely, if they want to. The only reason they won't in this case is because their paymasters (i.e., developers and publishers) wouldn't like it for reasons that should be obvious. If it were any other kind of unfounded juicy rumor that could get them clicks, it'd be up in an instant.

Your ability to delude yourself and remain in denial about certain things even in the face of so much obviousness truly beggars belief. Is it a special Israeli talent?

Rumors about, say, a game that might be in development are qualitatively different from a disgruntled former employee's hostile rants, no? We're talking about giving somebody a platform.

Since this is the famous Chris Avellone, there probably are more edgy sites that would print his words as is (for example, the Codex). I'm just saying that I can see why many wouldn't (if they can't get corroborating evidence). But anyway, give it time, maybe we'll get something after all.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You know Chris Avellone I admire you very much.
Not becuse of your past works or your creative talent.

But because you behaved like a real man, and gave a big FUCK YOU to the dipshit extraordinaire at Obshitian and the massive Cuckoldry Pact they tried to enforce on you despite the financial strain and family issues.

And you made it out.

:salute:

"Notice me senpai!!!"

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
went on to bigger and better things – Mordor, Horizon: Zero Dawn.

oh no.
When one of your best writers leaves the company to work on other things, that is "oh no" indeed.
I meant it in response to Avellone thinking these arkham/assassin creed action games are better than anything. The Avellone-dream-studio's games would not be for me, I imagine.

Imoens pet

Prospernaut
Shitposter

Rumors about, say, a game that might be in development are qualitatively different from a disgruntled former employee's hostile rants, no? We're talking about giving somebody a platform.

Since this is the famous Chris Avellone, there probably are more edgy sites that would print his words as is (for example, the Codex). I'm just saying that I can see why many wouldn't (if they can't get corroborating evidence). But anyway, give it time, maybe we'll get something after all.
Please tell me my shitposts were not in vain. I created a account for multiple sites just to share this shit! I even created a account for this website!!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Oh, Infinitron, the joke is simple: That you report the news, as your unfortunate profile tag claims, which always make me wince when I see your claim. C'mon, don't be ridiculous. You are so biased, we can't even see you through the glare, but embrace it: It's part of your charm.

EDIT: I really mean this. I love Infinitron's comments, but it's not news, it's just... Infinitron. Change your profile tag, bud.

Oh dear, I missed this, since I had to sleep.

LITERALLY Knights of the Told Republic. :lol:

Bear in mind, folks, that the more people realize Infinitron is a biased shill, the more DU will want him on staff in perpetuity for the entertainment value alone. Not that I have an issue with that, mind you. I'd feel the same way in his shoes.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Has this topic finally put end to Infinitron's dream of getting hired to be PR flunky in Obsidian or some other company?

Here's hoping!

:martini:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom