Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Kasparov - Sorry if it's been asked, how long did MCA keep in touch throughout development - or did you guys just use him early on?
I didn’t meet the man, the legend, the MCA, but Robert did. So here’s a quote from Marat Sar:

mhm, we did a panel together and we showed him the game because, honestly, he's a bit of a hero to us. we've had a really cool chat about RPG writing and the industry in general. and we would of course love to work with him in the future, on a sequel, if the gods are willing. but on Disco Elysium MCA hasn't done anything, all you get is us eastern european clowns.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Preview piece in PCGamer: https://www.pcgamer.com/solve-the-case-or-go-crazy-trying-in-isometric-rpg-disco-elysium/

"While interviewing the disgruntled bartender who is unfortunate enough to have caught my attention, one of my gut instincts speaks up in the dialogue window to insist this guy is trying to hide something. Push him, it demands. I do, and it turns out my hunch is ill-informed. I press the poor man harder and harder, unable to stop myself from declaring that he in fact strung up the fellow in the tree. The bartender grows more disgruntled until I’ve made a fool of myself in front of the partner/handler who’s here to nudge me along.

There’s an inverse relationship between your mental skills and your ability to trust them. Like my aggressive attempt to grill the bartender, the authoritarian side of your detective’s personality may believe that someone is disrespecting your authority and suggest you put them in their place. Is it necessary? Or are you just a man with a hammer who sees a bunch of nails?"

"ZA/UM’s driving force, both in the game’s design and it’s development, is the idea of the alternate present. While the city of Revachol is a vision of the present where cars and phones never took on their final sleek and sexy physical forms, ZA/UM imagines an alternate present of our own where the classic Infinity Engine RPGs of the '90s spawned games obsessed not with action combat but narrative delivery. They imagine themselves having followed the path not taken, skipping over some twenty years of theoretical evolution, and arriving at what they believe RPGs would have looked like in 2018 under different influences. It’s an ambitious thesis, but one which makes Disco Elysium feel different from your standard RPG even in the short time I spent with it at PAX East."

glorious incline.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Will there be a demo for us to play, man?
Come out to EGX Rezzed next week and I’ll hold your hand while you play the game with the other. :cool:

No stand-alone demo though. Before Disco Elysium ships we’ll be focusing our efforts on polishing the content and ironing out bugs. Gamedev is a doggy dog life, folks.

Working on a demo would make Team ZA/UM into Team Sisyphus.
:negative:

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Working on a demo would make Team ZA/UM into Team Sisyphus.

That's too bad.

Disco Elysium is so different from most other RPGs that describing it doesn't really sell it, whereas being able to play for, say, a half an hour from the opening in and around the initial area certainly would. What's more, that opening is really fucking awesome in the way it sets up the character and the mystery and I would bet that a lot of players who experienced it simply could not resist buying the whole thing just to find out what the deal really is.

Seriously, when I said that thing to that person and failed that skill check has got to be one of the greatest gaming moments I've had ever, and that was in an early, early pre-alpha. The game sells itself but only if you let people play it. The downside is of course that the awesome opening will be spoiled, but I have a feeling that'll happen anyway any day now since you've been showing it off to so many people.

vota DC

Augur
What happens if a character has very high suggestion skill but very low rethoric and encyclopedia skills? They just say wololo to persuade?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
What happens if a character has very high suggestion skill but very low rethoric and encyclopedia skills? They just say wololo to persuade?
The points you put into your stats influence your skills - so you can’t really be a complete idiot in a skill in the same stat family

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Congratulations, but we need to talk about that sartorial crime against humanity... the hat.

Maybe Pablo Picasso could pull that off, but not many others. Pablo had a special talent: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc2iLAubras

I disagree. I think Rosto pulls off a very authentic Ishmael look.

But then where is trusty Queequeg? If sailor man is the look, I’d say it’s more “I just sailed in from Kronstadt, down with the provisional government,” which may be the intended effect.

That hat is my Kronstadt.

vota DC

Augur
The points you put into your stats influence your skills - so you can’t really be a complete idiot in a skill in the same stat family

But wouldn't 1 intellect and 5 psyche guarantee this result? Basically a guy with 5 intellect and tons of rethoric + encyclopedia but very low psyche is like an uninspiring politician I am curios about the opposite case.

Prime Junta

But wouldn't 1 intellect and 5 psyche guarantee this result? Basically a guy with 5 intellect and tons of rethoric + encyclopedia but very low psyche is like an uninspiring politician I am curios about the opposite case.

You'll be extremely good at spinning convincing bullshit and getting people to believe it's true. Amazingly versatile and useful skill set, that.

Prime Junta

Uh-oh, turns out Disco Elysium is problematic https://www.gamesradar.com/pax-east-2018-best-games/3/

I have some concerns about Disco Elysium because its fictional world is made up of things both new and borrowed. Some are fun, like the popularity of disco music. Others are awful, like rampant racism and distressingly casual use of real-life slurs for gay people.

(tbf the article was "best of PAX East" so grats... I guess)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom