Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex

Project: Eternity
The start in Seattle really was fucking awful. I would have expected at least some skybox or something to show how that "city in two tiers" thing is supposed to look like, but it's pretty much left to the imagination.

deuxhero

Arcane
Deus Ex had one fanmade sequel called The Nameless Mod. Otherwise it goes along with Chrono Trigger in the list of great games that haven't had any sequels and may be better for it.

J1M

Arcane
There was a run through of DX done with no skills, augs, weapons, or inventory items. Just things you can pick up that don't go in the inventory like boxes.

Has anyone done similar with DX2?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
J1M said:
There was a run through of DX done with no skills, augs, weapons, or inventory items. Just things you can pick up that don't go in the inventory like boxes.

Has anyone done similar with DX2?

I don't know if anyone has done it but it would be quite possible. I did a no weapons run, once, which in turn meant neither killing nor knocking out anyone. I used some some stealth focused augs though.

Played IW to death when it first came out, because I figured that it'd be the closest thing I'd ever get to the original again. Nameless Mod was just a fantasy of a joke of an idea at that point. Finished it multiple times with various styles, alliances and misc choices...but I'm somewhat fond of the Renegade option. Especially the point where you realize you just helped wipe out the last leaders charismatic enough, and groups strong enough, to reassemble civilization. Sure, the Templars were fanatics and racists, JC/Helios was basically supporting a more democratic Borg, and the Illuminati had been yanking everyone's chains for the last couple decades with that Order and WTO business...

But with them gone, you've just guaranteed that the next couple centuries are going to suck so bad that only the Omar will still be thriving at the end of it all.

Dire Roach

Prophet
root said:
if you go out the window, Paul will die no matter what.
I didn't know it was possible to save Paul on my first playthrough. I realized it by accident after starting a new game and using cheats to play one of the mid-game maps, where the game set Paul to be alive by default. Sadly, it's pretty much irrelevant whether he lives or dies since you barely get to hear from him after the prison facility level. Same thing with pretty much everyone else whom you can prevent from dying.

BTW what is this "Invisible War" everyone speaks of? It's like you guys live in another reality where Deus Ex actually had a sequel released.

laclongquan

Arcane
Set a gas gren in the corridor outside the apartment flat to ambush a group of raiders. About only one or two MIB will kick down the door so you can finish them off easily. The trapped? One LAM/GEP into the MIB and the results are in pieces. The bunch downstair is in place for a few thrown gren or GEP. When they are killed Paul will run downstair and disappear. He will live. You must go out the door into the map to ensure that. YOu then can return to use the window if you want.

Anyway, after playing Deus Ex I feel a hunger of playing stealthy action turnbased game and lookitthat: Fallout Tactic fit the bill admirably.

Radisshu

Prophet
Which mods should I get to run Deus Ex on a newer system? I don't want it to change too much.

I own the PS2 version, but the PC one seems so much better

Jive One

Educated
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Played IW to death when it first came out, because I figured that it'd be the closest thing I'd ever get to the original again.

I played the very beginning, going only so far as the bar in the lower city. I skipped the upper city altogether so didn't experience anything in that section. It seemed intriquing, especially since it looked like I could choose a pilot(the guy in the bar or the woman who needed rescuing), as well as choose allegiances and such. At that point however I stopped playing.

Is it worth it to play through the game all the way? My one big gripe with it was the unrealistic expository dialogue but if that's the only issue I might give it another shot.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Radisshu said:
Which mods should I get to run Deus Ex on a newer system? I don't want it to change too much.

Look here

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Jive One said:
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Played IW to death when it first came out, because I figured that it'd be the closest thing I'd ever get to the original again.

I played the very beginning, going only so far as the bar in the lower city. I skipped the upper city altogether so didn't experience anything in that section. It seemed intriquing, especially since it looked like I could choose a pilot(the guy in the bar or the woman who needed rescuing), as well as choose allegiances and such. At that point however I stopped playing.

Is it worth it to play through the game all the way? My one big gripe with it was the unrealistic expository dialogue but if that's the only issue I might give it another shot.

Yeah, go for it. The game has a lot of flaws -- of that there is no doubt -- but every now and then it has some real moments. The game is very dialogue heavy, unnecessarily so, but later on the characters become mouth pieces for philosophical speculation on the nexus between technology and politics. It's not good writing, but is interesting none the less -- kinda like Leto II's monologues in God Emperor of Dune. As Commie pointed out though, the number one flaw of this game is the tiny levels. There is actually a level down in Lower Seattle that is literally just a medium sized room with catwalks running around it and a few maintenance access panels underneath. Oh, and crates, it had lots of crates.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
which is why they are more prestigious. video let's plays suck.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ScottishMartialArts said:
DraQ said:
Codexian LP of Invisible Whore - is anyone up to it?

I'd be willing to do a video one. The picture ones are just too much damn work.

Yes they are. I was going to do a LP of Invisible War... but just could not come up with a funny enough angle to do it from.

But yeah, would be nice if someone would do one with pictures (not video), as there is already one on youtube.

Just found a texture pack for IW that's supposed to make the game look leagues better, that along with this discussion made me start downloading a copy of the game to replay. I'll see if a LP sounds doable. If so it'd be slow going between this and Stepsister Hitomi. LPs take a shit load of time.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I'm not a huge fan of the texture pack, at least as it applies to the characters. The environments look a lot sharper but I feel the modder took too many liberties with the appearance of the characters.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
root said:
oh god it's over
cool game
sucky ending, though. I was expecting at least a little cinematic showing how my decision to become a god would affect mankind.

Be sure to do all three. I quite like the cinematic for Tracer Tong's ending, especially the music. Merging with Helios is the easiest ending anyway.

Cassidy

Arcane
root said:
oh god it's over
cool game
sucky ending, though. I was expecting at least a little cinematic showing how my decision to become a god would affect mankind.

I took the "blow everything up" option, Escape from LA-style first time, and the video is a bit more satisfactory, although the consoletard adaptation of the original has an extended CGI ending video that shows the Earth cities blacking out.

ScottishMartialArts said:
I'm not a huge fan of the texture pack, at least as it applies to the characters. The environments look a lot sharper but I feel the modder took too many liberties with the appearance of the characters.

http://www.john-p.com/textures/DX-IW/index.shtml

Use this one, it's entitled the 'The Unified Texture Pack', and it combines the three major texture projects. It's also easily configurable, in that a patcher will update your game with whatever changes you want in about a half a second. For instance, I started a test game to see what I liked and what I didn't. Two seconds in I said "Oh shit, the new Alex Denton looks like a retard who had his face scrunched up". Then about a minute later I noticed those characters who were bio-modded now had fucked up eyes.

So I went back to the patcher, and checked off both 'Male Faces' and 'Biomodded Eyes', and it was done pretty much as soon as I pressed the button. Loaded up the save, and the eyes were back to normal, and Alex had a high definition version of his old face. Extremely convenient.

Here are some sample pics. Place your mouse over the shot, and it'll switch from default to the 'after'.

http://www.john-p.com/textures/DX-IW/pa ... ics12.html

http://www.john-p.com/textures/DX-IW/pa ... ics11.html

http://www.john-p.com/textures/DX-IW/pa ... ics10.html

http://www.john-p.com/textures/DX-IW/pa ... hics6.html

http://www.john-p.com/textures/DX-IW/pa ... hics2.html

Joghurt

Augur
Yesterday I torrented and installed Invisible War and I can only say

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Uninstalled it after 1 hour

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Expect much bigger loading times with the texture pack in IW. Joghurt did the right move. Somehow I managed to finish that game when it came out, but when I tried to replay it recently I just couldn't stand it.

ghostdog said:
Expect much bigger loading times with the texture pack in IW. Joghurt did the right move. Somehow I managed to finish that game when it came out, but when I tried to replay it recently I just couldn't stand it.

Actually, it's not that bad at all. Far better than the original Community Texture Pack (which is included in a modified form in this anyway). Probably about half the loading time. Overall the only problem I see is IW doesn't like programs snapping screenies of it. It'd make an LP a bitch.

Ash

Arcane
Radisshu said:

Look here

Modding Deus Ex: An Outdated Guide by Jaesun

Step 1: install GMDX.

Step 2: there isn't a step two!

Jaesun

GMDX installs Kenties, HDTP, New vision, and is itself everything any Deus Ex fan could should ask for when it comes to modification of the base game (Total Conversions or fringe mods notwithstanding). Codex testimonies here

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom