Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Revision

v1rus

Arcane
Is it any good?

I played the game couple of times, but never made it too far, and, since holidays are the perfect time for some binge-playing, I've decided to fix that omission. But, should I use Revision on my first play through?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gmdx basically adds alot of things from small to big. For example, from something as simple as updating textures and model to adding a whole new perk system, upgrading physics and AI. It also stay true to the original's design.

Just simply take a look at the feature list in the mod page to see how humongous of work that is gmdx and the respect it has to the source material.

Revision, while it is prettier (at least compared to gmdx 8 iirc, i havent plaued with 9 yet) it's taken too much of a liberty over the original and was executed poorly that makes it like a mediocre reimagining of the original.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Revision is garbage and should be avoided at all costs, especially on a first playthrough. It's not a mod, it's a scam and an attempt to sabotage one of the greatest games of all time. I don't think the modders even like Deus Ex considering that they seem to have no qualms about destroying some of the most memorable levels of the game and replacing them with their own trash design.

GMDX is indeed the best mod available for the game. I'd suggest going with vanilla for the first time around and then replaying the game with GMDX, which gives you nicer visuals, better AI and some mechanical improvements among other things.

zool

Arcane
GMDX is indeed the best mod available for the game. I'd suggest going with vanilla for the first time around and then replaying the game with GMDX, which gives you nicer visuals, better AI and some mechanical improvements among other things.

So, someone who has never played the game and will only have time for one playthrough should definitely install GMDX rather than playing the vanilla game, right?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
So, someone who has never played the game and will only have time for one playthrough should definitely install GMDX rather than playing the vanilla game, right?
Vanilla is always a good choice. In most cases I wouldn't recommend any mods for a first playthrough of any game, but the changes made by GMDX are generally pretty subtle, well justfied and in line with the original design of the game. It really depends on how much value you put on playing the game in its original state as opposed to it being modded from top to bottom. With GMDX you get a more challenging and better balanced game, but vanilla Deus Ex is still a pure joy to play even with its shortcomings.

DX has lots of replay value, though, and in the end you might find yourself trying to find time for that second playthrough anyway...

Ash

Arcane
Don't underestimate the many, many bugfixes, general polishing and QoL improvements! Addressing Deus Ex's shortcomings whatever aspect of design they may reside in is the core of GMDX, often overlooked in favour of the new more noticeable mechanical and systemic expansions, as well as the much needed challenge and balancing. But yes, vanilla is still one of the PC GOATs, and likely to inspire replay. You can't really go wrong with playing either, as long as you end up with GMDX eventually :obviously:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Are GMDX's graphic improvements completely optional, or are they one of those "well it's very popular so I had to incorporate it into the mod" kind of things? Ash

Ash

Arcane
New Vision is optional. HDTP and GMDX's art direction refinements are not.
Both New Vision and HDTP are a little objectively flawed, yet GMDX irons out most of the flaws in the case of New Vision, and some in the case of HDTP. I pushed and pushed the community to help tackle these issues but to only little response, because it's near dead of late. Nonetheless, overall it's the best looking you can get Deus Ex right now (Revision isn't Deus Ex in principle, spirit, quality, nothing) and I wouldn't recommend disabling New Vision.
See example images: http://gmdxmod.com/features/enhanced-artistic-direction/

And popularity has little to do with my approach to design. HDTP and New Vision are good mods with a variably small handful of flaws, again a bunch of which GMDX addresses, enhances, and makes the visual experience overall more rounded, faithful, consistent etc than just using HDTP and NV alone.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane

In short, YES!

I recently played DX for the first time, with GMDX. It's almost impossible to distinguish mod additions from the original, unlike most other mods for various games. When I read about the additions (after playing "blind" ) I was flabbergasted that a ton of features weren't in the original but seamlessly added.

No bugs too, highly recommended.

Ash

Arcane
"Consistency is king". One of my mottoes during development. This principle was only not really fully fulfilled in the case of HDTP, but it's easy to ignore.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What a coincidence - there was new version released few days ago.
What is a Revision? Mistake. Mess. Nonsense. Just look at the achievements list and mutators, most of them are uninspiring and stupid because people behind it have no clue what make game good and what to change to make it good for next playthrough (because you don't play mods on 1st playthrough silly).
Basically - average typical modders.
It's an equivalent of Complete mods series for Stalker - everyone recommend it despite being shit.
And don't remind me about Steam exclusivity bullshit (it appeared on GOG but still not for retail version) for a game older than Steam itself...

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
Just as everyone said go with GMDX. I've finished the game 2 times with this mod, it's fantastic.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Isn't NV a part of GMDX? Question fizzled before asked...
BTW. some other Deus Ex mod came out from the dead
http://www.moddb.com/mods/nihilum/news/announcement-deus-ex-nihilum-5th-anniversary-update

I did 2 years ago a Deus Ex mods (Redsun 2020, 2027 and Nihilum, also two others that I forgot...) marathon and most of these mods were solid projects with exceptions of two -
"Mutation" and The Nameless Mod were convoluted, sluggish piece of work with a lot of walking on vast maps with a bunch of weird shit in it.

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
Does anyone have a checklist for C&C?

And well, since all I'm looking for is some retextures/upgraded graphics, any other mods worth mentioning? HDTP? Or, at least something that would allow me to run it at 1920x1080 resolution?

Last edited:

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Isn't NV a part of GMDX? Question fizzled before asked...
Yeah, okay. This page seems to summarise the mods available.

"GMDX... Complete overhaul with the intention of staying true to the design philosophy of the original. Includes New Vision and HDTP (but only uses some of the HDTP textures, NONE of the character models)."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom