Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Yeah, I guess level 2 Auspex would be enough to tell whether the Sarcophagus was empty or occupied. Ofc Caine could have tampered with that, but it should have freaked everyone out too.

Wesp5

Arcane
Presumably the antediluvian is in torpor and unable to move as is the norm for some reason (this should be documented by the various successful diablerie attempts).

I know little about the WoD lore besides what I learned from Bloodlines. If that is true, why make it look as if the sarcophagus was opened on the Dane to kill the crew?

Sykar

Arcane
Yeah, I guess level 2 Auspex would be enough to tell whether the Sarcophagus was empty or occupied. Ofc Caine could have tampered with that, but it should have freaked everyone out too.

Beckett studied the sarcophagus quite a bit. If something was up he would have told you though obviously he was deceived.

Sizzle

Arcane
Presumably the antediluvian is in torpor and unable to move as is the norm for some reason (this should be documented by the various successful diablerie attempts).

I know little about the WoD lore besides what I learned from Bloodlines. If that is true, why make it look as if the sarcophagus was opened on the Dane to kill the crew?

Because it was opened - by Jack, who removed the mummy and replaced it with explosives.

That's also probably why Beckett insists on the key - having figured out what's actually going on while examining it.

The carnage surrounding the sarcophagus aboard the Dane, coupled with the general uneasiness every vampire has felt since it arrived in town (actually caused by the presence of Caine - an easy mistake to make, seeing as most vampires have never felt the presence of either him or an Antediluvian), and bam - you've got a recipe for everyone thinking (and fighting over) the contents of that box, thinking that something very powerful and dangerous is inside it.

It's just strange when juxtaposed with Nines' comments about how he'll never stop fighting even though others have given up fighting and gone over to the Camarilla (and the others in The Last Round have a similar "We will never give up the fight!"). It seems like they've mostly surrendered; they're in LaCroix's territory, they're not opposing his rule, they go to his executions and don't do anything to stop them except jeering, etc. It would be one thing if they were underground, but it's not that, either. I don't know, maybe there's something I missed.

Like other's have already said - the Brujas are more "talk big" angry-types, than "getting shit done" angry-types.

For all of their talk of change and action, even they manipulate you into doing their jobs for them, just like any other Camarilla vampire.

Wesp5

Arcane
Because it was opened - by Jack, who removed the mummy and replaced it with explosives.

Yeah, we know that now, but how could LaCroix still believe it contained an Antediluvian in torpor when someone awakened and left it already on the Dane?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Beckett studied the sarcophagus quite a bit. If something was up he would have told you though obviously he was deceived.

That's pretty much what I said. He should have noticed that it is impossible to use aura perception on the contents of the sarcophagus, and should have mentioned it as <beckett>mildly concerning</beckett>. Or he should have concluded that it is completely empty if it WAS susceptible to aura perception. And that's just Beckett. LaCroix might not have Auspex himself (though Princes do tend to pick up additional Disciplines on the way to the throne), but he should have any number of random Toreador or Tremere subordinates perfectly capable of scanning the box. Not to mention the obviously Tzimisce/Nagloper Sheriff.

So in short, this is the weakest plot point.

Sizzle

Arcane

Yeah, we know that now, but how could LaCroix still believe it contained an Antediluvian in torpor when someone awakened and left it already on the Dane?

Don't know the lore that well, but it looked to me like they thought that the Antediluvian, for one reason or another (Gehenna approaching, feeling the proximity of fresh blood, felt threatened because he was being moved by ship, etc.) woke up for a short while, butchered the crew, and went back to sleep.

Wesp5

Arcane
Don't know the lore that well, but it looked to me like they thought that the Antediluvian, for one reason or another (Gehenna approaching, feeling the proximity of fresh blood, felt threatened because he was being moved by ship, etc.) woke up for a short while, butchered the crew, and went back to sleep.

If that is compatible to WoD lore it would make sense for LaCroix to not open the sarcophagus with force to not awaken the Antediluvian again. As for difficulties to look inside the box with Auspex, wouldn't anybody assume it was connected to the Antediluvian inside? As for Beckett not telling LaCroix, I have no problem with this. Beckett is only there out of his own curiosity, he couldn't care less about what LaCroix wants and he didn't believe there is a Antediluvian inside from the start.

Sykar

Arcane

That's pretty much what I said. He should have noticed that it is impossible to use aura perception on the contents of the sarcophagus, and should have mentioned it as <beckett>mildly concerning</beckett>. Or he should have concluded that it is completely empty if it WAS susceptible to aura perception. And that's just Beckett. LaCroix might not have Auspex himself (though Princes do tend to pick up additional Disciplines on the way to the throne), but he should have any number of random Toreador or Tremere subordinates perfectly capable of scanning the box. Not to mention the obviously Tzimisce/Nagloper Sheriff.

Or he could have been made believe that everything was in order. So no it is not a weak point they just left it open to your imagination. Not every little thing needs to be revealed to the player. In fact some mystery is nice.

almondblight

Arcane
By that time you have hints enough that you shouldn't open it...

Those hints suggest you shouldn't open it because it might be an Antedeluvian that could kill everyone. Even if your character is certain that LaCroix can't diablerize it (and there's no reason for them to be; in the "bad" endings, your character attempts to do just that), having him at your mercy and letting him open it with the hope that the Antediluvian will kill him is like having him at your mercy and setting a thermonuclear bomb with a 20 second timer to finish the job. Yeah, you'll get the satisfaction that he'll die brief moments before you and everyone else does, but that's about it.

The dialog where Beckett says 'i need the key to open it' has me thinking 'bullshit' every time. Obviously you're supposed to paper the holes on this inconsistency with some headcanon that would feel ridiculous presented onscreen like 'magical locks', 'ancient sumerian curses' and whatnot.

The best part is that Beckett can't even figure out that it needs a key. You need to fight through a hunter stronghold to get the that piece of knowledge (literally the only useful thing the professor tells you about opening the sarcophagus is "you'll need a key to open it"). If I remember right, Beckett is completely useless when it comes to helping open the sarcophagus.

It was also kind of strange that Beckett was so intent on helping LaCroix open the thing. Sure, he doesn't believe in Antedeluvians, but like Therese tells you - you're living in a a world of mummies, ghost, werewolves, etc. He did sense a strange aura when he came to the city (he mentions this when he first meets the protagonist). The crew of the Dane was murdered, and it looked like the sarcophagus was opened from the inside. The thing might not contain an Antedeluvian, but it could still contain something very bad (and Beckett tells you as much at the end of the game).

As for difficulties to look inside the box with Auspex, wouldn't anybody assume it was connected to the Antediluvian inside?

he didn't believe there is a Antediluvian inside

That's the point. If Beckett doesn't believe there's an Antediluvian inside, he can't merely explain difficulties using auspex as stemming from an Antedeluvian (this didn't bother me, but it's still an interesting point).

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Or he could have been made believe that everything was in order. So no it is not a weak point they just left it open to your imagination. Not every little thing needs to be revealed to the player. In fact some mystery is nice.

The availible options are: "the sarcophagus is empty" or "the sarcophagus contains a torpid Ancient". Which one, exactly, translates to "everything is in order"? Regardless, the Prince should be made aware of any of these options, either by Beckett (if he does have Auspex at all, but a gentleman scholar like himself should indeed have it), or by any other possible subordinate who does have it.

Unless, of course, you, sir, consider the option "I cannot rightly scan the contents of the sarcophagus, but I'm sure it's fiiiiine" to equal "everything is in order". But that would make you a moron.

gaussgunner

Arcane
The availible options are: "the sarcophagus is empty" or "the sarcophagus contains a torpid Ancient". Which one, exactly, translates to "everything is in order"? Regardless, the Prince should be made aware of any of these options, either by Beckett (if he does have Auspex at all, but a gentleman scholar like himself should indeed have it), or by any other possible subordinate who does have it.

Is it possible to acquire feats, or would he have to have a bloodline with auspex - Malk, Toreador, or Tremere? He's a loner, shapeshifts into a wolf, sounds like a Gangrel... and I think he said so when I was playing as the same.

Doesn't the Navy have a huge MRI or something down in San Diego? Surely a prestigious fellow such as LaCroix could arrange to use it on the sarcophagus? :lol:

Wesp5

Arcane
Unless, of course, you, sir, consider the option "I cannot rightly scan the contents of the sarcophagus, but I'm sure it's fiiiiine" to equal "everything is in order".

Well, in case that Beckett tried to scan the sarcophagus and couldn't, it confirmed his feelings that something is off and he did tell you so. Not LaCroix though ;)...

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Is it possible to acquire feats, or would he have to have a bloodline with auspex - Malk, Toreador, or Tremere?
You can learn disciplines that are from other clans. No idea what the rules actually say about how far you can progress in them and how it's achievable, but it's absolutely doable according to lore.

It was also kind of strange that Beckett was so intent on helping LaCroix open the thing.
If he was ordered to by a justicar or an archon, he's in no position to do anything but. And Camarilla usually goes to great lengths to disprove noddism, so it's no surprise that they'd get involved at high level. Can't remember if Becket says he was sent by someone or not.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well with Beckett getting involved it's really just a matter of the sarcophagus itself piquing his curiosity as an archaeologist.

The biggest problem with the sarcophagus is really just the meta, since unless there's something distinctly inhuman and unusual about the sarcophagus (which it easily could have) there's not really any reason for it not to be done with easily. You just needed that bit where "well, there's no way we can break it open short of a Massive Ordnance Penetrator" and "the sarcophagus blocks any kind of attempts to scan if with my equipment AND with any powers we can subject it to, and some Malks say it has reactive armor mind bullets." But the problem there is just that the ending wants to have its cake and eat it, it cannot pull its switcheroo twist if it's clear that the Ankaran sarcophagus is no "ordinary" sarcophagus given its ability to withstand any and all readily available vampiric disciplines.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
But the problem there is just that the ending wants to have its cake and eat it, it cannot pull its switcheroo twist if it's clear that the Ankaran sarcophagus is no "ordinary" sarcophagus given its ability to withstand any and all readily available vampiric disciplines.

Eh, all it would have taken was expanding Jack's ending sequence into: "Throw that sarcophagus out there, do that mumbo-jumbo of yours, and they'll tear each other apart."

agris

Arcane
Patron
I already said it but it's a sad thing. On my own I could remake VTMB in UE4 in 2 years, I could mod the shit out of POE2 for little poe2 faggot lovers, but if I don't get paid as much as I'm getting paid on my job, then there's just no way to do it. And same thing applies to most modders.

And normal people can't pay that much for such niche games through Patreon, this isn't Skyrim.

Unless mod grants become a thing and Paradox themselves start paying modders, big mods are very unlikely to happen. And it's sad.
Out of curiosity, what is the going rate for good technical (C++ type, not java or OO) computer science-trained programmer in central or eastern europe? I.e. Czechia / Slovakia / Romania / Poland / Western Ukraine - someone who could work with little supervision, so in their later 20s or earlier 30s.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I already said it but it's a sad thing. On my own I could remake VTMB in UE4 in 2 years, I could mod the shit out of POE2 for little poe2 faggot lovers, but if I don't get paid as much as I'm getting paid on my job, then there's just no way to do it. And same thing applies to most modders.

And normal people can't pay that much for such niche games through Patreon, this isn't Skyrim.

Unless mod grants become a thing and Paradox themselves start paying modders, big mods are very unlikely to happen. And it's sad.
Out of curiosity, what is the going rate for good technical (C++ type, not java or OO) computer science-trained programmer in central or eastern europe? I.e. Czechia / Slovakia / Romania / Poland / Western Ukraine - someone who could work with little supervision, so in their later 20s or earlier 30s.
A friend of mine is from Kiev and he's doing $8000/month net. So in the US that would be around 150-170k per year gross? He's a senior, but not a lead. But if we're talking "earlier 30s", we must assume he can get more, cause he can be a lead by that age. Basically about the same pay T2 and T3 get at Google, but without all the expenses that life in California entails.
A shitty programmer can start at $1k per month.
An average programmer who doesn't know how to land a good job and must always work under supervision - $2-3k per month net. Most people will plateau here.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
A friend of mine is from Kiev and he's doing $8000/month net. So in the US that would be around 150-170k per year gross? He's a senior, but not a lead. But if we're talking "earlier 30s", we must assume he can get more, cause he can be a lead by that age. Basically about the same pay T2 and T3 get at Google, but without all the expenses that life in California entails.
A shitty programmer can start at $1k per month.
An average programmer who doesn't know how to land a good job and must always work under supervision - $2-3k per month net. Most people will plateau here.
Thanks man! Any clue as to how this varies by country (for the countries that I've listed), or in general? I would assume that as you get closer to the West, i.e. Czechia, the cost goes up, while further to the east, i.e. Romania, the cost goes down. Do you have any insight into that and how it interplays with quality of programmers? I.e. a Romanian comp sci person is cheaper but worse/better than their over/under paid Czech counterparts?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
4.0 version of Clan Quest Mode is just around the corner. Will have to replay Bloodlines for n-th time again :].

http://www.moddb.com/mods/vtmb-clan-quest-mod/news/next-npc-preview-for-bloodlines-sabbat-mod
burgermeister01 said:
Next NPC Preview for Bloodlines Sabbat Mod

Another new teaser for the next edition of Clan Quest Mod is available, introducing another new main character NPC.

Posted by burgermeister01 on Mar 1st, 2018

Another few months have passed and another character profile for the next edition of the mod is ready to keep your fangs watering for the next edition of Clan Quest Mod!

The Mack

Clan: Lasombra

Quote: " You’re probably like most people, ain’t you, pal? You’ve got certain desires, fantasies … things you wouldn’t want your wifey or girlfriend to know about. Maybe things the police can’t know about. The Mack isn’t going to look too closely at what gets you hot and bothered. But as long as you got the money … you’ll always leave satisfied. "

Background: The Mack, a flesh peddler in East LA, is part of a nomadic pack, briefly stopping over in town to re-group. This mysterious figure keeps himself as far removed from the city's politics as possible, instead spending his nights chasing material wealth.

Progress Report
Maps/Environment: 95%

Not much movement, here, but not much left to be done, either.

Writing/Dialog: 98%

This is all but done! Mostly all that's left is new work I've created for myself, and some of the Malkavian lines.

Programming/Cut Scenes: 85%

The new story involves the interaction between NPCs a bit more, so there's quite a few new cut scenes. Finally starting to put a dent in those.

Voice: 90%

A lot of work has gone into moving this forward. Virtually all the dialog is recorded now, so it's just a matter of animating it all!

Models: 65%

Still looking for help on this front, still appealing to any fans that have modelling experience and have interest in learning how to do it for Vampire, and to help with the project, to contact me. I have tried to do this myself, and have gotten far enough to understand the process behind making new character models, but sorely lacking the ability to do it with any proficiency. This does lend itself to me being able to help any interested artists getting setup and going.

There's always more news to come, so stay tuned here on Moddb or by following me on Twitter. You can also watch my channel on YouTube where I occasionally drop some hints about what's to come in the next edition of the mod. Right now I'm slogging through Vampire: the Masquerade - Redemption in a hilariously painful to watch Let's Play series.

And as always a big thank to Anchefanamon for her character concept art; and thanks to Sebastian Baar for lending his voice to The Mack

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The dialogue is completely modern and out of character for VTMB which just breaks the spell. Won't ever install it.

laclongquan

Arcane

I will note that Auspex reveals the auras of all living and undead within a short distance. In that case, an Auspex user seeing no aura from the coffin is just an odd thing to them: There should be an old ancient corpse in here but no aura of it. Extincted? I think it's not that odd.

Auspex is no Xray, though game's visualization seem to make it to be so.

Valtiel

Scholar
Hearing the word feminazi made me cringe so bad, cool music choice though (some of those early NIN remix)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom