Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried to play Deus Ex: MD, got really bored after reaching the aug ghetto and I couldn't stop thinking how much better the original was and how little I care about the whole augs vs. normies hamfisted story.

Then played (and finished) that Batman QTE fest from Telltale. It was... ok, I guess? Like most Telltale CYOA games, I felt like all my energy had been sucked out of me. Everything is dark and depressing, your choices are all illusions, and everything you do will have shit consequences in one way or another. You can't even have a bit of rumpy-pumpy action with Catwoman without that hitting in you in the ass. At first, I felt like I would replay it but now I don't think I care, I doubt there's much of a difference anyway ("X will remember that" my ass.)

Now I'm playing the HD version of Abe's Odyssey. It's p. good.

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Evil Within and Legends of Eisenwald

The Evil Within
is a mediocre survival horror game with most of the time nice graphics and art direction,bad plot and ok gameplay,get in on sale if you want such a game.

Legends of Eisenwald on the other had is quite good,it'a and RPG with some inspiration taken from HoMM and Disciples games.The strategy part is pretty light and the RPG mechanics are light and streamlined too but the graphics and good for an indie game with some beautiful 2d art,the music is great while the story and thesetting are the main draw of this game.It's set in late medieval Holy Roman Empire and the storyline is quite interesting with many twists and turns,although quite grey,if you expect to play a noble hero that goes around killing the bad guys and saves the day you will be disappointed.There are some nice C&C and different paths too. Imho the main disadvantage this has is the difficulty,it's quite hard and there are some spikes here and there,so I would recommend to try the easy settings unless you are into hard games,oh and it gets a bit repetitive in the end since in most maps you end up with a mission to conquer castles A,B&C eventually.Recommended

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
So finished some missions in age of fear 1.
So far the ui is a abomination,the movement system feels odd and the rpg systems feel bare bones at best(basic inventory system for hero)

Has anybody who ha played these games tell me if they actually improve much later?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
So finished some missions in age of fear 1.
So far the ui is a abomination,the movement system feels odd and the rpg systems feel bare bones at best(basic inventory system for hero)

Has anybody who ha played these games tell me if they actually improve much later?
Your points are fair but I still think it's worth going on, and that the game is worth playing. The systems themselves won't really improve, and the upgrade and RPG part are indeed basic, but the main appeal is the challenge offered by each well-crafted map, I thought the AI is smart enough and that the game gets tough as you advance. Besides party building is interesting with so little money and the difficulty to keep everyone alive. The two campaigns are short but distinct from each other.

I can't talk about 2 and 3, I have played the demo of the second one (which made me buy 1&2) and I remember it has branching missions but that's about it.

Finally the developpers also deserve support for regularly updating all their 3 games (and not only the last one).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I began playing Final Fantasy X after so many years.

Jesus Christ. The ratio of cutscenes to gameplay is ridiculous. The idea that "Final Fantasy games aren't just button mashing!" when FFX's difficulty is absolutely non-existent right up to Besaid makes me laugh. Seriously: when you compare it to Baldur's Gate, where the first wolf or bear you encounter alongside Imoen can easily wreck your shit if you don't come up with a minimum of a tactic (like have your character distract the enemy while Imoen fires at it), this button-mashing shitfest is even more evident. It takes a special kind of retard to die: you just need to keep attacking, use a potion if running low on health, and keep attacking.

That, and the storyfagginess of it all, coupled with the awful story and characters (who look terrible, may I add)... really makes me wonder how I could love this crap back when I played it. At least FFXII's characters look good.

1446914585133.jpg

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Started playing Killer is Dead a hack n slash game that has side missions called Gigolo Missions where you try try to seduce hot girls with gifts while staring at their underwear with your x-ray glasses,thank you Jebus for keeping at least some countries on this planet free from the sjw crap
:hero:

Last edited:
qfgo5k3r.jpg

Glorious. I still remember playing the very first QFG (back when it was still called Hero's Quest) on pirated floppies in my 8086 XT (it didn't have a hard drive). It had a greyscale EGA monitor that I thought was the best thing ever. Time flies, but this game is still a gem. The VGA remake is very good. I replay the QFG series every few years and get very nostalgic.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Tried playing Res 6. Its trash. You can't properly pause, they force co-op on you (thankfully you can take an AI, but still), the enemies are absurdly tough (shoot the head! Oh, it still takes 6 shots for some fucking idiotic reason), there's QTE events everywhere and long cinematic scenes, and there's all sorts of bullshit in the game that the devs threw in there to fuck with you, such as instant deaths you only have a second to respond to, not being able to shoot dormant zombies so they just get a free grab on you, and throwing a shit ton of zombies in a small room with you where you can't see shit and you get chain grabbed. Oh, its also a Japanese console port, so the keyboard controls are shit as well.
Also, the only way I found you can get skills is before continuing your game. You have to get skills before playing. Which. Is. Retarded. Why can't I buy skills in game?
Anyone who tries telling you its good is lying or an idiot. The only good things about it is the shotgun (which does feel nice) and Helena's ass.
0/10, card fodder.

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Played Fallout 4 with Horizon mod overhaul and was alright, I added Sim Settlement: Rise of the Commonwealth mod so I can ignore settlements but after several hours of gameplay it started crashing a few seconds after starting so I think that playthrough is fucked, I did the memory mission and really don't feel like restarting replaying all that crap again.

I did enjoy the Frost mod for Fallout 4, it basically removes the entire story line of Fallout 4 and turn the game into a survival game esque or something, was kinda fun but its still in development.

Played Technomancer, was pretty fun overall, enjoyed it a lot more than Mars: War Logs and Bound by Flames.

qfg1finalfdjqh.jpg

Finished it in a few hours, what a pleasure to replay this game. There are some rough spots for sure and some grindy bits, but it's mostly just pure joy. Missed a few points as I don't remember some things but that's ok. Imported my Thief into QFG 2 (I'm going to play the remake now as I've only played the original EGA version).

Dux

Arcane
Feeling like giving some long-winded and possibly controversial comments on my recent LucasArts gaming experiences. I won't talk about X-Wing because I've already mentioned it in another post.

I completed X-Wing Alliance, an experience which got progressively worse as it went on. This is a trend with these games, I've noticed. The last time I played it was almost fifteen years ago with a Sidewinder gamepad, instead the joystick I have now. I had some fond memories of that game but I realise now that it was mostly nostalgia talking and little else. Don't get me wrong, the space battles can be exhilarating and fun, but the mission design is so lacklustre. Those who have played it will surely also remember the absolute trainwreck that is the main story. Similar to Tie Fighter, you're playing a story that is supposed to immerse and involve you. This story develops during the course of the game, even when you're involved in the Rebel Alliance. Then, when something interesting finally happens with it - it ends. Just like that. I must have supressed this memory since I last played it but it is undoubtedly one of the worst fuck-ups in gaming history. For 98% of the game you're immersing yourself in a story and then after a cliffhanger ending to a particular mission you're suddenly playing as Lando Calrissian and the last missions are just poorly done recreations of the final battle in RotJ, with cringeworthy renditions of iconic lines and everything. The main story about family, betrayal and whatnot - that's just gone. Never mentioned again and never resolved. Fantastic. It didn't help either that the mission design royally shat itself during the latter part of the game, as is unfortunately the trend with the LucasArts space "simulators". In Alliance the missions are just too long and the risk of failure are so goddamn high that endless repetitions are unavoidable. It really felt like Purgatory at times. There's also a space Rastafarian in the game...

I can only imagine that were some grave problems with the game's production, as if they ran out of money or time or something. Bear that in mind if you play this game and start feeling attached to the main story. Like Admiral Ackbar said: It's a trap!

I also decided to give up on Tie Fighter mid-game, just like X-Wing. I got pretty damn far before I threw in the towel. I typically give Tie Fighter a lot of leeway because it is a good game, but the game developer's definition of difficulty was tragically so warped that it ruins the experience the further you progress. You go from being a starfighter in a group, fighting other starfighters and possibly larger vessels. Sometimes you must protect something, sometimes you don't. Then the whole Imperial civil war bullshit kicks in and you're suddenly fighting other Tie Fighters and every single goddamn mission is you - only you - trying protect everything friendly on the map, while destroying everything hostile on the map, while trying to survive as you're being "player-aggroed" to oblivion. Even when you do get the rare mission with actual friendly craft on your side they won't really do anything to salvage the mission objectives. Giving out commands to wingmates helps sometimes but in certain missions you're prevented from communicating with others. Oh, and if you somehow fail to meet up to your role as a one-man army, get ready to be chided and insulted by your own command for YOUR failure. Because everything has to be about the player, because these people didn't know how to make these games any other way, in order to make them "challenging". Yeah, just throw out the simulation part and shove in the arcade bullshit. Why not. The mission in which my spirit was finally broken, central command alerts you that there are four hostile squadrons of Tie Defenders inbound. One is attacking a Star Destroyer, one is attacking a corvette, one is attacking bombers and one whole squadron is attacking YOU. Not your fighter squadron but you specifically. Right down to your designation. Well, you just have to engage them, right? Try to destroy them before they destroy you? No. You have to destroy all the other squadrons I just mentioned, before they get their torpedoes off. Won't the other starfighters take care of that, though? No, they won't. I can't even remember when I last got to fly a mission as just a starfighter, in a group of starfighters, engaging other starfighters and not having to stress about everything else in existence. It's always babysitting others and picking up the slack 24/7, while getting chewed out when you inevitably fail to be at two places at once. Had I more patience I probably would've endured this slump, like after a few dozen tries I prevail with the skin of my teeth and move on. I realise now, however, that I can devote that time to something else. That's wisdom that comes with age. The only thing I wanted from these games were reasonable challenge, the kind which makes sense in their own setting.

I also have to mention that I played the inferior 1998 editions of both X-Wing and Tie Fighter. The reason for that is because of they both allow easy remapping of the joystick. When I return to these games some day I'll go with the 1994 editions. Maybe things will be better then.

Lastly and on a more positive note, I finished Dark Forces. It was fine. Good sound effects, fun combat, interesting if sometimes obscure level design with some dodgy platforming sections. Nothing major, though. The hit detection can be a bit iffy as well but the game is old so it's to be expected. It was proper old-school Star Wars all the way through and I had a good time playing it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Playing Deus Ex right now. After playing 2 mediocre games in a row (Bioshock Infinite and Res Evil 6) playing a game that's good is like a breath of fresh air.

Also I played Hard West a while ago. Its alright. I was expecting something a bit longer with a tad more substance, something like Fallout or Wasteland, but it is competently made and it's mechanics are functional. I like the twist on the RNG system in that there isn't one; its all about the luck resource. Could be a bit clearer about how it worked, but overall its decent.
The only real problems I have with it is that I don't like how there's no character progression and there's only like 5 tactical battles per scenario, some of which can be missed, but that's more of a personal preference rather than a objective problem with the campaign.
The DLC isn't great though. The voice acting is trash and they take away your inventory near the end of the game so you can't play with all of the different golem combinations. Which is pretty bullshit. You have to know in advance what not to buy from the shop and remember all of the different recipes that are on another character.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Currently alternating between (and frequently ragequitting from):

Dead Cells
Sublevel Zero Redux
Rain World

It's like lying on a bed of nails with an electric fence stretched inches overhead and large tubs of scalding water laid around on all sides: Whichever way I go, I'm fucked by one of three torments.

Rev

Arcane
I just finished Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II some days ago and despite having aged a bit of course, it's a great game.
I had already played Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy before, and I still think JK2 is the better game because the controls work better, especially the lightsaber, and even the story was a bit more fleshed out and interesting from what I recall (but I will replay it soon enough, and see if my memories are correct) but anyway it's a very good Star Wars game. Too bad we probably won't get any of those in the near future, since the IP is in EA's hands.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Finally at the end of my MGS saga. TPP and MGR:R left. Playing them simultaneously. Getting really tired of Kojima tho. Dude's clearly jap Lucas.

You're in for a treat, because TPP is nothing less than the finest (action-based) Rambo simulator ever created.

A lot of people have a mental image of Rambo spraying bullets, but they tend to forget that, for most of the original movie, he utilized stealth, traps, psychological warfare, and subterfuge to do most of his work.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I had already played Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy before, and I still think JK2 is the better game because the controls work better, especially the lightsaber, and even the story was a bit more fleshed out and interesting from what I recall (but I will replay it soon enough, and see if my memories are correct) but anyway it's a very good Star Wars game.
You forgot the main reason JK is better: superlative level design, one if the best in any FPS ever.

EDIT: oops, thanks AM. Fixed.

Last edited:
I had already played Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy before, and I still think JK2 is the better game because the controls work better, especially the lightsaber, and even the story was a bit more fleshed out and interesting from what I recall (but I will replay it soon enough, and see if my memories are correct) but anyway it's a very good Star Wars game.
You forgot the main reason JK2 is better: superlative level design, one if the best in any FPS ever.
:retarded:

Did you mean DF2?

JK2 has levels that are awful in every way.

Cael

Arcane
I tried it. It's shit. The random encounter system is the most broken garbage across the series, as every half second you get interrupted by something. Like, fuck off, I have shit to do.
Yep. I have had times when my dot on the map refused to move and I just kept clicking on the "No" button ten times straight due to the encounters. But that wasn't the point, was it?
Guys, you do realize that this is broken due to game's age (random encounters are bound to CPU speed)?
Simplest way of dealing with this is simply by removing randoms altogether:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-mods-metagaming-is-magic.90452/#post-3166773
I don't mind the random encounters. Once you have a 70+ Outdoorsman person in your team, you get to No most of them. All of them when over 100%. Random encounters give me XP and cash. I am sitting on over 100k brotherhood script and 70k RP and I am in Newton with about 50 each Browning M2 and grenade launchers in the back of the car. Unsold because I don't want to depress the market just yet.

But there are things I don't get about the game.

People moan a lot about how difficult the mutants are and that it was a massive step up in difficulty. I never found that to be the case. In fact, in random encounters, I was hunting them using 9mm weapons. Yes, I am using 9mm weapons in random encounters up to the point I hit robots. Reavers, mutants, deathclaws, etc., are all taken out by Walther MPL, MP5 and P90s. And impact gloves. I use those on knocked out things.

In fact, I was using 9mm as primary weapons all the way to Mardin/Springfield. Which explains why I am down to less than 600 9mm ball rounds, but I will restock when I go find a few reaver encounters and their Calicos.

People also moan about how small guns become useless vs mutants and robots, but the sniper rifle is basically a god weapon. I have Ice pumped up to 211% (201% + Loner) Small Guns and she is taking everything out with her sniper rifle, or luring them into range of the rest of the team's Jackhammers/FN FALs. I completed St Louis without the mutants getting to fire at me at all until I finally assaulted their base (which is technically against the mission briefing). Just beeline the sniper rifle in the bunker and start having fun. Give Jackhammers and CAWS to the sneakers (2 or 3 will do in most cases) and have them sneak up behind mutants and hose them with buckshot on full auto. The inability of the mutants to fire on me meant that I didn't have to worry about the burst bug, so I kept my team together for the increased firepower.

Newton is the first map where I start having issues with the enemy getting to open fire, and that is only because of the fact that it is such a close quarters map. Even there, I am blowing up tank bots (with their ridiculous 601 hp) using sniper rifles and Jackhammers. The usual tactic applies: knock them out with aimed shots to the sensors and run in and Jackhammer them at point blank using single shot. Burst mode Jackhammers seem to do as much damage as single shot on robots, it seems. Worked a treat on mutants, though. I haven't even started using energy weapons yet, even though I have 9k micro fusion cells in the car and 30-40 plasma rifles and laser rifles. Bloody things cost an extra AP to use, so I am stowing them for now.

Anyone care to enlighten me why people even like Big Guns and why they think Small Guns become useless once you hit mutants? Seems wierd.

Cael

Arcane
Yeah, the rng is kind of screwy in tactics as well. Unlike mordheim though, you can actually reload your game in tactics, so if you get some legendary bad luck you can fix it, or if the game throws you a curve ball you can plan around it.
In mordheim if the game screws you over you can't do anything about it, and its impossible to recover as the AI will still have experienced units while you have to rely on shitty replacements.
I understand now why they added that hidden handicap bonus in XCOM 2, because relying on pure RNG on a ironman style game where you invested some 20-30 hours in, only to lose it all because of an algorithm is pretty fucking bullshit.
I mod Tactics so that all my guys have Fear the Reaper as an extra trait and play on Tough Guy mode only. You kill a bad guy and suddenly three of your squad become fountains of gore and guts because they were already injured. Hilarity ensues.

You basically ask for it. Fear the Reaper = possible chance of sudden death (-50-100HP) on level up, which happen after you get xp, which happen after you kill a bad guy. Read the fucking description text, yo!
Well, duh!

I know how it works. I put it in for the added thrills. And no, it is not -50 to -100. It is a random percentage of full health and that is sometimes over 100%. I have had sqaddies got poof at 100% health and well over 100 hp. It just an added element of tactical awareness: when to level/heal. Although, I have noticed that XP is granted on the last kill of the fight, especially in random encounters, so you do have some control over when you level.

Raapys

Arcane
Jedi Outcast was fun, but DF2JK does everything but force powers and swordplay better, including level design. Outcast's level design is railroaded and boring by comparison.

laclongquan

Arcane
You basically ask for it. Fear the Reaper = possible chance of sudden death (-50-100HP) on level up, which happen after you get xp, which happen after you kill a bad guy. Read the fucking description text, yo!
Well, duh!

I know how it works. I put it in for the added thrills. And no, it is not -50 to -100. It is a random percentage of full health and that is sometimes over 100%. I have had sqaddies got poof at 100% health and well over 100 hp. It just an added element of tactical awareness: when to level/heal. Although, I have noticed that XP is granted on the last kill of the fight, especially in random encounters, so you do have some control over when you level.

You are like a masochist asking for it~ :lol: :fallout3:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom