Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WotC: "seven or eight" D&D video games are coming over the next few years

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The problem here is that WotC doesn't hire experienced RPG developers, but studios that haven't really done RPGs before. Obsidian, Larian, or even Bioware or inXile could make a decent D&D RPG but they're not making them.

Did the Sword Coast Legends team have any previous RPG credits? I don't remember any.

I dunno, I thought people were saying they were ex-Bioware or something?

Cross

Arcane
The problem here is that WotC doesn't hire experienced RPG developers, but studios that haven't really done RPGs before. Obsidian, Larian, or even Bioware or inXile could make a decent D&D RPG but they're not making them.

Did the Sword Coast Legends team have any previous RPG credits? I don't remember any.
What makes you think WotC has the luxury of choosing from a wide pool of developers? D&D failed to establish itself as a strong video game IP, so outside of shovelware developers, very few studios would be lining up to make a D&D game when they could be developing their own IP.

InXile in its current state would probably be desperate enough though.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

I dunno, I thought people were saying they were ex-Bioware or something?

Yeah, its director Dan Tudge was a producer of Dragon Age: Origins (and he's now working at Bethesda and is producer of Quake Champions). Also there were one or two more ex-Bioware developers in the team. But as for the rest of the team, I guess JarlFrank's point stands.

Cromwell

Arcane

Bioware Guys, so no.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

What makes you think WotC has the luxury of choosing from a wide pool of developers? D&D failed to establish itself as a strong video game IP, so outside of shovelware developers, very few studios would be lining up to make a D&D game when they could be developing their own IP.

We've seen how well this sort of "establishing our own IP" usually goes with Dragon Age, Tides of Numa Numa, Pillars...

Don Peste

Arcane
BEAMDOG
presents
Dungeons & Dragons
R A V E N L O F ☩
lord_soth_cosplay_by_ilariabc-d62ydms.jpg
:greatjob:

ArchAngel

Arcane
at the very best some skyrim clone

I know that this won't be a popular opinion here, but D&D Skyrim could be awesome. Clearly it'd take a step away from the turn-based rules, but imagining that they took some sort of pretty close compromise like in the IE games, that'd be pretty sweet. No idea how you'd navigate a caster's spell list in real time without getting wiped out though.
What real time? Skyrim pauses the game when you open menu for favored weapons and spells.

All they have to do then is let you also target enemies with selected spell and then unpause.

Mortmal

Arcane

None at all and it shows.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The problem here is that WotC doesn't hire experienced RPG developers, but studios that haven't really done RPGs before. Obsidian, Larian, or even Bioware or inXile could make a decent D&D RPG but they're not making them.

Did the Sword Coast Legends team have any previous RPG credits? I don't remember any."

Huh? BIO had no exprience when they made BG. LMAO You don't need experience you need drive and passion and skill. Afterall, NOBODY has expeience until they do something.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
In all seriousness, I bet the games will just be more of the board game adaptations.(tomb of annihilation, lords of waterdeep).

Darkzone

Arcane

Cough..SSI's Goldbox...Cough... But go on please.

In all seriousness, I bet the games will just be more of the board game adaptations.(tomb of annihilation, lords of waterdeep).
Making a true TB DnD.

getter77

Augur
They took a shot in the dark years before and we somehow managed to get Dungeons & Dragons Tactics back on the PSP(as with most such cases, if only they'd done a proper PC release down the line history could've been so very different with post-release support)---surely they can at least take a few more shots in the dark yet again for a fair chance of something hitting more soundly.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Honestly, I don't care anymore, I have zero hope of they implementing the PnP system as it is on a computer game, even if there is an "old school" rpg project on this list of games. Larian make use of cooldowns and I don't trust them to make good mechanics after D:OS 2, Obsidian is going on that route too with PoE 2 with per encounter spammy abilities, no RPG developer, even the ones that supposedly are developing old school games want to implement a vancian system or anything close to the system that ToEE had, fuck, they don't even want to implement anything close to what NWN 2 had.

I played quite a few Bioware cargo cult RPGs from Obsidian and Larian, not sure if I will keep interested for longer, you know the drill, when you are talking with NPCs, it is adventure game time because the horror of actually implementing stat checks on a meaningful way and when you are fighting, it is trash mob cleaning time with ability spam. Just played the Swordflight module series for NWN 1, this series is what I really hope modern isometric RPGs would be on the NPC interaction/adventure side with really interesting stat check uses and proper roleplay opportunities, look, I'm not interested on your story of the terrible evil bad guy that will destroy us all, I couldn't give a fuck about your bland fantasy stock NPCs, just let me roleplay or it is better to play something like Beautiful Isolation or any proper adventure game.

I really miss something like ToEE for combat too, I already know how Baldurs Gate 1 played, I don't need yet another dumbdown version of that.

If they are going to release Baldur's Gate 1 dumb down edition with just a new coat of paint, dunno if I'm interested.

At this point, I'm more interested on someone releasing a decent toolset for someone that actually wanna make RPGs to produce one that is actually interesting to play.

Dedup

Augur
While a proper turn based CRPG would be what I want, if we can't get that, I would love to see a Dragon's Dogma clone with a DnD skin on it.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
A proper cRPG with 5e rules is far too optimistic, it will probably be dumbed down with ability skill swapping or something because stats are scary and the current generations are petrified by the thought of math. They don't have an attention span for a proper story either, so that's out of the question too. Say hello to far more profitable gambling-like mobile games; the only type of stats you'll ever see come 2020 with these properties.

Someone please roll a D20 for 2020 and make the impossible turn to the possible though.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
First stop wi shitty art styles, go and look at Easley and other old AD&D veteran artists, or better yet Frazetta an older stuff.
Second, don't worry about stat dumps, instead make every stat valuable in some way in game.
Third, stop wi shitty loot, make it rare, hard to find and distinctive. No junk.
Get rid of quest markers.
Have your game make sense within framework of world, so fantastic elements really stand out, and mundane elements aid worldbuilding.
Let me play an half nekkid barbarian wi a big fearsome weapon, and a large axe or sword as well.
Let me explore the fucking world before you plop me in centre of another world changing revelation, I don't care about world until i've properly been introduced to it.
Let magic be useful outside combat, make use of all them great old spells.
Give me lots of stuff to do outside combat.
Kill elves, lots or all of em.

Do that (at least) an I might get interested in D&D again.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Honestly, I don't care anymore, I have zero hope of they implementing the PnP system as it is on a computer game, even if there is an "old school" rpg project on this list of games. Larian make use of cooldowns and I don't trust them to make good mechanics after D:OS 2, Obsidian is going on that route too with PoE 2 with per encounter spammy abilities, no RPG developer, even the ones that supposedly are developing old school games want to implement a vancian system or anything close to the system that ToEE had, fuck, they don't even want to implement anything close to what NWN 2 had.

I played quite a few Bioware cargo cult RPGs from Obsidian and Larian, not sure if I will keep interested for longer, you know the drill, when you are talking with NPCs, it is adventure game time because the horror of actually implementing stat checks on a meaningful way and when you are fighting, it is trash mob cleaning time with ability spam. Just played the Swordflight module series for NWN 1, this series is what I really hope modern isometric RPGs would be on the NPC interaction/adventure side with really interesting stat check uses and proper roleplay opportunities, look, I'm not interested on your story of the terrible evil bad guy that will destroy us all, I couldn't give a fuck about your bland fantasy stock NPCs, just let me roleplay or it is better to play something like Beautiful Isolation or any proper adventure game.

I really miss something like ToEE for combat too, I already know how Baldurs Gate 1 played, I don't need yet another dumbdown version of that.

If they are going to release Baldur's Gate 1 dumb down edition with just a new coat of paint, dunno if I'm interested.

At this point, I'm more interested on someone releasing a decent toolset for someone that actually wanna make RPGs to produce one that is actually interesting to play.

I'll purchase this DnD RPG in a heartbeat:
- Take FRUA, and modernize the game for today's PCs, Macs, and Linux.
- Make the graphics better and sound. I'm not talking to AAA levels, but something like a more successful indie title of today would be fine.
- Add the ability to cover other rulesets so the DnD 5th Edition crowd would be happy, but so would grognards like me.
- Throw in a few games from your old modules from each ruleset, primarily the mega-dungeons like The Ruins of Undermountain for 2nd Edition or Adventure Paths like "The Shackled City".
- Allow ease of use for mod creators like Ray Dyer, so we can get smaller adventures made.
- Profit. I'm ready to throw money in right now.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

I'll purchase this DnD RPG in a heartbeat:
- Take FRUA, and modernize the game for today's PCs, Macs, and Linux.
- Make the graphics better and sound. I'm not talking to AAA levels, but something like a more successful indie title of today would be fine.
- Add the ability to cover other rulesets so the DnD 5th Edition crowd would be happy, but so would grognards like me.
- Throw in a few games from your old modules from each ruleset, primarily the mega-dungeons like The Ruins of Undermountain for 2nd Edition or Adventure Paths like "The Shackled City".
- Allow ease of use for mod creators like Ray Dyer, so we can get smaller adventures made.
- Profit. I'm ready to throw money in right now.

Unfortunately, that game would sell around 10,000 copies and doom the DnD IP to irrelevance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom