Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, it's been three weeks of this. Going to be awfully silly if it's not out within the first week of December.

Like undead never-dying Cthulhu it will remain always imminent and yet never released.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Like undead never-dying Cthulhu it will remain always imminent and yet never released.

Could that be an intentional marketing decision to set a suitable tone for the game?

Nah, I think they’re probably just having some trouble with the pre-demo-release human sacrifice. The first time you cut out some poor schlub’s heard to propitiate the old ones always takes much longer than anyone expects. I bet they’ll release it as soon as they’re done washing the blood out of their clothes.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update #27

Dec 6 2017

Environmental Improvements, Streams and Logo Animation

Greetings Followers of the Black Pharaoh!

We hope this blackened electric letter is not interrupting any of your daily rituals. If that is the case, please finish the ceremony first and make sure you don't leave the altar in a mess. Cultic Games is not going anywhere.

In this update, we'd like to focus on some improvements we made on Stygian's environments since the backer demo, such as; Extended lighting for building exteriors and transparency radius.

Extended Lighting for Buildings

Gas light is a crucial element for the world of Stygian. It symbolizes the final and unfortunately ever declining stand of human civilization against the all-embracing cosmic darkness.

We wanted to see the flickering light of lanterns like dying glow-worms behind the windows of our populated buildings. In order to achieve that, we created a new shader that can produce different emissive color values with various parameters to get exactly the look that we'd like to portray in the game.

This process also required the utilization of some interior objects such as tables, chandeliers, bottles and sorts in order to keep the continuity and populate the now lit spaces.

Shall we have a look at the results?

d043af473c159ea48121180e5ec0bf65_original.png

Before

0f30c5c5026f172683152b63aab47568_original.png

After

ced017764ad2d9b1df3922997864e7ec_original.png

Before

1802aa127c148e8e0d64b0abc2a3762c_original.png

After

cbd86741e4539e3a8f3b2a85f6ae8cfe_original.png

Before

3ae5fa286e2e8bfde3e5aea7ba951169_original.png

After
With this application, in addition to the achievement of a deeper visual atmosphere, we've also managed to turn our functional buildings into natural indicators.
Player-centric Transparency Radius

Have you ever wondered what lies behind our buildings? With our new shader you'll be able to explore the spaces behind the large environment objects and find more loot or probably more trouble in those once shrouded areas.

bb582d91803e6175d23b664c737c091a_original.png

Border effect and radius is subject to change
You'll be able to see the updated lighting yourself in the public demo but the transparency radius requires some more testing and probably won't make it to the public demo build.

And yes, there is going to be a public demo. RPG players around the world should witness the glory of our beautiful doom, don't you think?

Just before that happens, we'd like to make as many people aware of Stygian as we can by reaching out to streamers and Youtubers. So if you'd like to make a stream or a video about Stygian feel free to drop a mail to "culticgames@gmail.com" with the subject "Stream/Video Request" so we can sort things out.

d130a98a87549463c23605eeb782dd6a_original.png

Or maybe you'd like to see Stygian in the videos of a content producer that you follow or know? It is the perfect time brothers and sisters! Even writing a simple comment beneath a video will surely help. You know, there are Lovecraftian games lists out there without Stygian in them. As we all know, this is a BLASPHEMY.

Last but not least, we are proud to present you the logo animation of Cultic Games.

Until our paths cross again in the unlighted chambers beyond time.

Team Cultic

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And yes, there is going to be a public demo. RPG players around the world should witness the glory of our beautiful doom, don't you think?

Wasn't this supposed to be imminent? :rpgcodex:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Wasn't this supposed to be imminent? :rpgcodex:

There's nothing in that update that implies that it isn't coming very soon. In fact, with the line about "Just before that happens...", they actually confirmed its imminency.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn, this look really good. Both combat and story looks great. Will it be the best Lovecraft game adaption yet?

Lhynn

Arcane
You should ideally be playing a game for its own sake, rather than because it would make a nice desktop background.
The artstyle of a game tells you a lot about it. It shows you the tone they are going for, which informs and is informed by a ton of other elements in the game. You can usually know what to expect from a game just at a glance if you know your shit.
There are exceptions of course, but theres always a bro close by to let you know if you are wrong around here.

I really love how Stygian looks and feels right now! I also like the narrator in the video, he really sounds pro. Can't wait to play the full game. It really is something different and original.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Brancaleone

Prophet
You damn motherfuckers,

either you release the game so I can waste my time playing it 24/7, or you go into hiding mode so that I can forget about it and stop wasting my time daydreaming.

Hope everything is going well with the development,

Hugs & kisses,

Brancaleone

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom