Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

imweasel

^
Ok, so that is what you mean.

You should have been be able to tell Mad Bob about the clerics stealing scrap after you talked to them. It seems that you broke the quest because you killed them first, i.e. it is probably a bug.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
- Spent a lot of time killing clerics stealing scrap from Mad Bob instead of doing anything fishy
- Never called him Mad Bob
- Bill still gets killed because I "lied about deliveries"
10731282.jpg

Game actually doesn't aknowledge deaths of many key NPCs and just deals with it's own linear scripts
#NPC-lives-don't-matter. i wonder if they ever did. it's like basic reactivity and coherence was always just a dream. my memory is a bit foggy. did any game check simple I/O NPC is dead or not variables in the past? if yes, what mastermind came up with the idea and how did he write such complicated scripts? is that technology forgotten?
is it at all possible to write a story that changes based on deaths and decisions? and if yes, isn't this kind of reactivity a waste of sweat, money and time? can the attention span of people playing these games be expected to notice if we just cut some corners and pretend NPCs that died are still alive?

Tigranes

Arcane
Might be the new innovation after Bio's fake choice dialogues: fake "THEIR DEATH HAS CHANGED THE STORYYYYY" prompts

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
- Spent a lot of time killing clerics stealing scrap from Mad Bob instead of doing anything fishy
10731282.jpg

Game actually doesn't aknowledge deaths of many key NPCs and just deals with it's own linear scripts
#NPC-lives-don't-matter. i wonder if they ever did. it's like basic reactivity and coherence was always just a dream. my memory is a bit foggy. did any game check simple I/O NPC is dead or not variables in the past? if yes, what mastermind came up with the idea and how did he write such complicated scripts? is that technology forgotten?
is it at all possible to write a story that changes based on deaths and decisions? and if yes, isn't this kind of reactivity a waste of sweat, money and time? can the attention span of people playing these games be expected to notice if we just cut some corners and pretend NPCs that died are still alive?

Sometimes the hero *KNOWS* when someone is dead without checking.
This can lead to odd dialogue exchange that just went on without player input.

NPC: Hey, you were at Edan? Did you meet this guy?
Player: Oh, I remember that guy, I helped him! *awaits the C&C*
Jax: He's dead.
Player: wtf

Post conversation, the player immediately fast travels to the guy and finds out that yes, the man he helped is truly dead due to some off screen incidents.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
deal with Karsten. Now I need to kill him 1 on 1. I'm level 7 with no fighting skills and he's much too scary for a 1 on 1 for me. No other NPC will attack him, no monster will attack him. My useless companion only tries to attack when I'm getting hit but doesn't do any damage.
Buy a shield and knock him down to the ground after he runs out of stamina. Beat him into the pulp.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I discovered a few ways making it possible to play this game ironman and actually try it atm. I have a huge problem though, I would be really thankful for any assistance.

So I want to join the clerics asap and made the mistake in their one join quest to not make the deal with Karsten. Now I need to kill him 1 on 1. I'm level 7 with no fighting skills and he's much too scary for a 1 on 1 for me. No other NPC will attack him, no monster will attack him. My useless companion only tries to attack when I'm getting hit but doesn't do any damage.
Since I'm not reloading, is there any good way left killing the bastard?
I killed him by grenades.

(But you might get into situations when two reavers are shooting at you with flamethrowers, and third with rocket launcher. Not sure you can deal with that.)

Perkel

Arcane
Its a great game imho. Best PB game since Gothic 2. Gothic 1+2 are still on another level though.

Hooo boi. If this is at least comparable to Gothic 1-2 then i will play it. Though not at this price. I have few games on my games to play now and want to finish them first.

I would say from watching it on twitch for about 10h it is a rough diamond. But I think modders will need to fix it, I doubt PB will put in required effort.

:what:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I still think it's net worse than Risen 1, but it's deffo solid and light years away from the previous two abominations.

Its main advantages over R1sen certainly include world size and differentation, the overall originality and maybe faction differentiation, but R1sen is a clear winner in the most important categories - mechanics (from combat to char system), general game readability (interface and mechanics) and the world/exploration coherence (let's face it the exploration in R1sen is MUCH more rewarding and better thought through).

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I still think it's net worse than Risen 1, but it's deffo solid and light years away from the previous two abominations.

Its main advantages over R1sen certainly include world size and differentation, the overall originality and maybe faction differentiation, but R1sen is a clear winner in the most important categories - mechanics (from combat to char system), general game readability (interface and mechanics) and the world/exploration coherence (let's face it the exploration in R1sen is MUCH more rewarding and better thought through).
took you long enough to admit the exploration is crap
and mechanics
next dialogues? is honeymoon over?

Xeon

Augur
Entering Doomed City felt pretty derpy.

You get fake ID from Hunter after doing a quest with him, then go to gate and buy a real ID even after telling me I can't enter at all in the first time.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Another downside is how the size of the world will probably impact replayability due to the length you have to go to reaching the other to factions. Unless you made a hard-save at a crossroad in a prior playthough - but then that kind of negates long term value. Ah well, still a colossal improvement on their last 2 games.

Xeon

Augur
Clerics is probably very easy like Bersekrers, for Clerics you only need to head to Doomed City teleport so its extremely easy and close.

Tavaar tho is kinda far you need to run on the main road until the big desert, would have been great if Ray took you with him. Only problem I think is Bullet and Lisa will most likely die if you go there with no survival skills

Elex

Arbiter
10731282.jpg

maybe the quest it’s simply broken, there is 4-5 or possible triggers and something break all.

Elex

Arbiter

after 80 hours i can tell that the world of elex is not huge and dispersive, at the start look like that but is not, remember is a post apoc world so the usefull stuff is almost all in the ruin of past (or in factions building), a rifle with bonus against mutants inside a facilty where military started use elex (called blue) on living people etc etc

there is less of “this troll guard a treasure” and more of “this house probally have a safe with a lot of old money inside”

yes explore a mountain can give some reward but you will not find some powerfull weapon (unless there is some hut or some hidden tavern)
and yes that mean “jetpack is way” there is no need to kill every single troll (more common and more base enemy vs other pb games) just run to the next ruin and focus on explore it.

Last edited:

Incantatar

Cipher
So I tried killing Karsten with grenades but he just dodged and threw his grenades at me. I tried again in melee and found out that my special attack hurt him. Depleted his stamina and killed him after a long fight.
Lvl 12 at the moment and did almost all cleric and berserker quests after joining the clerics. Still don't have the lifesaver spell and I don't want to use the exploity amulet of defense. I do play on easy though. I want to have a fighting chance.
Lets see how I far I make it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
^
Ok, so that is what you mean.

You should have been be able to tell Mad Bob about the clerics stealing scrap after you talked to them. It seems that you broke the quest because you killed them first, i.e. it is probably a bug.
Thing is, if you say him that, at least on english, he goes on a rant "So you play both sides huh? you cheeky bastard you just weht!" - even if you didn't agree with klerik or just don't want to deal with them. There is no choice to disagree - because if you disagree with klerik, he hammers you into the ground.
I just want - murder kleriks. "were kleriks. I killed them regardless of me being level 10 and them skulls enemies with 3 power hammers. we bros? gib elex".
or: "there are kleriks. give me 2 extra people, I go kill them. then gib elex!".
Easy.

Btw if you kill Riley and / or Fenk in Abessa NPCs still blame them for dome getting destroyed... but that quest is so strange, bugged and I feel underdeveloped, that it's easy to just get over it.

Btw, you can take broken clerik weapon in Goliet after doing quest, then it just stays in your inventory forever. So strange.

Really, this is what I don't like about this game the most. I can close eyes on everything, from translation to combat to exploration with cigarettes, but if you pretend you're doing Fallout/Arcanum quests, then do it right. If there is quest item, like bag of elex, it must be steal-able. If you collect derp-roots, it must be like in Morrowind - don't give me that 7/8 shit. If you need to tell someone about some separatists, you must have option to be smarter and tell another guy. If there is C&C for being asshole, they must trigger without you knowing, not when you basically ask "am I a bad guy, berserker-sama?". And there shouldn't be immortal NPCs. This linear scripted shit design a-la Stormson quest should not exist. Sometimes you just walk to handle the quest knowing NPC would fuck you up (like at least one or two quests in Abessa, like to close quest about guns you must talk to klerik who would ban you from leaving city if you chose to give guns to outlaws) because quest would't close itself properly. I hate this kind of linear scripted approach to quests. It is so awkward. Sure there's "reactivity", but often it's more like you close eyes on picking between 2 bad options, or follow set of quests where you don't really have good options, and THEN you get reactivity. (like Rat quest line - you can't even make mistake there, since NPC would say" what? bullshit fuck off". and Rat himself is immortal. lol.)

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

The game is as bad as Risen 3, that game also had a plethora of big islands and a load shit of exploration but in the end the results were the same, bad combat, subpar loot system, fucked up pirate theme, underused factions , subpar quests that resulted in a plethora of fetch this and kill X monsters. But what I can say about Risen 1 and 3 (never played 2) is that the dialogue made a lot more sense than Elex, either the english translation got fucked up in this game or they didn't give a shit about it. Also Risen series shined a lot more in terms of voice acting and it was actually quite good at times, it had those silly gnomes and the ooga booga tribes people and the pirates actually sounded like pirates.

Elex just doesn't perform in any department, they tried to make the world so big that they forgot about everything else.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I tried killing Karsten with grenades but he just dodged and threw his grenades at me. I tried again in melee and found out that my special attack hurt him. Depleted his stamina and killed him after a long fight.
So ... how many reloads did you need to accomplish that?
You can tell me, it stays between us, I swear.
:M

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
All you gotta do is teleport to Domed city and buy a Force Wave and Force Push from Fenk if you want to win any 1 v 1 fights.

Shadenuat

Arcane
So ... how many reloads did you need to accomplish that?
You can tell me, it stays between us, I swear.
:M
Yeah I also did that and took a few reloads, since even on Normal he 1-shotted me with hammer.

Then again on my 2d playthrough on Ulti I defeated tavern-man in Goliet with rusty axe on second try, using 1 healthpot. Just roll away once, chain attacks, and run back no-aim mode, repeat. Works against almost anything human except alb commanders maybe, since their 2-handed AI makes them block and counter attack 4 times hyperarmor no scope 360 you dead style.

I guess dying to Black Flame Friede non stop for 3 days teaches you something in the end.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, immortal NPCs are kinda cheap, nothing too horrible since its not always you are given a good excuse to kill an entire town other than playing stupid evil. IIRC people got upset about that in Skyrim or something but not so much in here.

Does the Drone companion collect rare things and give me every now and then? I teleported to Goliet after fixing his weapons and it gave me 2-3 Natural ELEX. Is it possible to give me the stamina increasing materials as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom