Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Piranha Bytes' combat has always been: heavy dice rolls + tactile skill. Real-time gameplay and RPG dice rolls....yeah, can be frustrating...but rewarding to beat absurd variables.

Modern ARPG equivalent (Souls) is more grounded as a "video game" during combat, but gives risk/reward appeal elsewhere via: constant save state & death = rebirth, loss of character progression etc.

Both look similar at a glance - which is providing a large supply of hilarious "First Impressions Outrage - THIS IS NOT BLOODSOULZ" videos lol. Fucking twats.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Who cares if the game has real time combat? It's still an RPG where stats matter the most. This is the current state of the Codex: PB makes an RPG where the RPG part matters the most (par course for PB) and then we have idiots like you whining that it's not an action game. Fuck off to General Gaming then. I heard that a new Assassins Creed was relased. Maybe that will satisfy your needs?
That's not what this is about though, you fucking cum-guzzling retard.

We were specifically talking about specific aspects of Elex that are shit. Whatever other merits the game may or may not have is completely irrelevant. You argued that the combat is not shit, because "muh RPG", as if that's some kind of fucking argument against making the style of combat that Elex is already operating on, and a style that I have already made clear that I dislike precisely because it is not fundamentally RPGish, better.

This makes you a fucking retard.

You can say "This game is still good. Despite the shitty combat, it's a solid RPG, because I value these other aspects higher". That's fine. I still think that the shitty combat and controls, fundamental to the experience of the game, detracts enough from the game to result in an awful final product, and I would've preferred a much more consistent and polished product. But that's fine. That's your prerogative. You're a fag. We get it. Whatever.

But that's not what you said. Instead, you argued that the combat was fine because the game is an RPG, despite the fact that you criticize this style of combat on a fundamental level, and claim that "RPGs are about dice rolls and/or stats, not twitch skills", which isn't what Elex combat does at all. Since Elex doesn't do this in regards to the mechanics discussed, this is not an argument, you absolute cuntface. What part of this do you not understand?

Who cares if the game has real time combat? It's still an RPG where stats matter the most. This is the current state of the Codex: PB makes an RPG where the RPG part matters the most (par course for PB) and then we have idiots like you whining that it's not an action game. Fuck off to General Gaming then. I heard that a new Assassins Creed was relased. Maybe that will satisfy your needs?

Suppose that in an alternative Deus Ex you'd fire at a completely different position than your target, but the bullet would still hit him because your skills are high enough and the dice roll ended up high enough that your character "should" hit the target, would you praise the game for being more RPG-like and less skill-based than the more FPS-like way it works in regular Deus Ex, or would you have wondered why they didn't just make a game that wasn't First Person?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Caja or whatshername.

Although i guess yeah you should get more emoji from mana. I just meant that it's still like elex with withdrawal and wanting more power etc.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
the xp rewards in this game never cease to amaze me

pop-up spiders that are a huge pain in the ass - 60 xp

nightshades that almost one-hit-kill me - 90 xp

generic bandits and exiles that i knock out with a single combo - 100 xp

finish the quest to kill the bandit leader in the exile valley mine - 3500 xp

:what:

(also much herpderp that the fucking bandit leader in that mine spawns only once you accept the quest)

Shadenuat

Arcane
You'll eventually be able to grind nightshades as easily as turkeys and they respawn, so giving them deathclaw level XP would break game a lot.

This is why killing skull enemies never really feels rewarding tbh, even with maxed Trophies skill.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I stopped to care about cold bar early. Every sane dialogue option increase it so why bother.
Catch this Alb!

Yeah, all my companions are similar. They don't attack enemies until enemies attack them or I attack enemies. AI in this game is beyond retarded.
I heard it's not retarded, first companions have different "enthusiasm" to fight for you, where Ray have the least, second it depent on his/her relationship with Jax - you know that thing - Name likes you, adore etc.

You mean like when troll throws rock in front of himself which then makes a 180 turn and lands behind him on you? Yeah, right.
Have you ever heard of twisted ball? :mad:

Quick question - I have found piece of paper named Four Houses. Picked it up, quest Road to Cal-something triggered. Is it awkwardly triggered quest and I should find NPC that trigger it, or is it triggered just like that?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
the xp rewards in this game never cease to amaze me

pop-up spiders that are a huge pain in the ass - 60 xp

nightshades that almost one-hit-kill me - 90 xp

generic bandits and exiles that i knock out with a single combo - 100 xp

finish the quest to kill the bandit leader in the exile valley mine - 3500 xp

:what:

(also much herpderp that the fucking bandit leader in that mine spawns only once you accept the quest)
There were quite a few 2,000 xp quest rewards in Fallout and tons of 15-50,000 xp quest rewards in BG2, so it's kinda standard.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Except that enemies were giving good xp in Fallout and even heftier rewards in BG. (Firkraag was, and I really shouldn't be remembering this as at speaks a lot about my childhood free time, I believe exactly 64k xp).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There were quite a few 2,000 xp quest rewards in Fallout and tons of 15-50,000 xp quest rewards in BG2, so it's kinda standard.

The quest, and the bandit leader himself, are pushovers. It took me next to no effort to finish it, yet the reward is 3500 xp, which constitutes half the xp needed to advance from lvl 15 to 16 (I know because I'd levelled up just a moment before that). Also, with all the other bandits along the way that you kill before getting to the boss, this puts the total quest xp gain to roughly 5000. Actually, roughly 6000 because you also get 800+100 for killing a random bandit that steals from the exiled zerks at night, which leads to the bandit boss quest.

It's bonkers, pure and simple.

Xeon

Augur
Is that really how quests work? Several times I killed enemies and I got a red message saying the story changes or something.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's not what this is about though, you fucking cum-guzzling retard.

We were specifically talking about specific aspects of Elex that are shit. Whatever other merits the game may or may not have is completely irrelevant. You argued that the combat is not shit, because "muh RPG", as if that's some kind of fucking argument against making the style of combat that Elex is already operating on, and a style that I have already made clear that I dislike precisely because it is not fundamentally RPGish, better.

This makes you a fucking retard.

You can say "This game is still good. Despite the shitty combat, it's a solid RPG, because I value these other aspects higher". That's fine. I still think that the shitty combat and controls, fundamental to the experience of the game, detracts enough from the game to result in an awful final product, and I would've preferred a much more consistent and polished product. But that's fine. That's your prerogative. You're a fag. We get it. Whatever.

But that's not what you said. Instead, you argued that the combat was fine because the game is an RPG, despite the fact that you criticize this style of combat on a fundamental level, and claim that "RPGs are about dice rolls and/or stats, not twitch skills", which isn't what Elex combat does at all. Since Elex doesn't do this in regards to the mechanics discussed, this is not an argument, you absolute cuntface. What part of this do you not understand?

Combat in ELEX isn't shit. It's not particularly amazing, but it's far from shit. You just couldn't figure out that it's an RPG that requires stats to be able to do anything and this angered you. You were confused by the fact that it's real time and somehow mistook the game for a normal action game. It's because of imbeciles like you that we went from Daggerfall and Morrowind to Oblivion. You're a sub-human degenerate who is playing a PB game for the first time and crying hard that it plays like a PB game. We get it, you don't like it. It's not for you. Now fuck off.

Suppose that in an alternative Deus Ex you'd fire at a completely different position than your target, but the bullet would still hit him because your skills are high enough and the dice roll ended up high enough that your character "should" hit the target, would you praise the game for being more RPG-like and less skill-based than the more FPS-like way it works in regular Deus Ex, or would you have wondered why they didn't just make a game that wasn't First Person?

No because that doesn't make any sense. Pointing at the enemy and hitting / shooting at them is part of the abstraction in ELEX and other RT games with dice roll combat. In Deus Ex you can point and shoot at enemies and still miss if your skills aren't high enough.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Deus Ex is actually an FPS/RPG where mechanics truly change how your character behaves and how effective you are. There is a clear difference between every skill point invested in pistols or rifles, and especially in augs like jumping. It doesn't mean that enemies won't explode from a direct missile hit, but it's a lot easier to land that hit with a character specializing in combat compared to melee or stealth character (the latter being mostly absent from Elex anyway).

But who knows, maybe some people find Deus Ex system shit too. But I certainly liked it more than Elex system.

imweasel

Just be happy that Sawyer isn't the lead designer. He wouldn't give you jack shit for killing anything.

Anyway, the cash you get from killing stuff can be used to buy Elex and make Elex potions, which have a pretty large roll in character building. So it kind of levels out.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Archers suck as always. Is there any game other than Thief, where an arrow to the head is instakill?

This is a bad example. Thief 1 and 2 didn't have location damage, the engine was too primitive. What they had was a damage bonus from stealth. Shooting an unaware opponent in the foot or arm with a broadhead was an instakill.

tons of 15-50,000 xp quest rewards in BG2, so it's kinda standard.

The 2nd Edition D&D experience tables are a bad example because they were a hold over from when players got XP for finding treasure. 1gp=1xp. If you ran a game without awarding xp for treasure, you had to give out huge quest awards or players would simply never level. The fact that this was forgotten/unknown to many D&D groups is the source of D&D's infamous "slow leveling" meme.

I agree about Fallout though.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Combat in ELEX isn't shit. It's not particularly amazing, but it's far from shit.
No, it's actually shit, and way worse than it could be, for many reasons that have already been stated independently of this particular argument.

You just couldn't figure out that it's an RPG that requires stats to be able to do anything and this angered you.
Bullshit, and you're just being retarded because your argument fell apart.
You were confused by the fact that it's real time and somehow mistook the game for a normal action game.
Bullshit, and you're just being butthurt because your argument fell apart.
It's because of imbeciles like you that we went from Daggerfall and Morrowind to Oblivion.
Bullshit, and you're just being delusional because your argument fell apart.
You're a sub-human degenerate who is playing a PB game for the first time and crying hard that it plays like a PB game.
Bullshit, and you're just being a subhuman piece of shit because you literally had no argument at any point.

You just wanted to defend the game on all points with the argument that "It's an RPG!", even when it makes no sense, such as arguing that RPG:s are about stats and rolls, even though Elex's combat, which does not rely on stats and rolls in the traditional RPG fashion, does no such thing. Again, your argument makes no fucking sense.

We get it, you don't like it. It's not for you. Now fuck off.
Completely beside the point. I can discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of Elex, and it does have some merits, but to hold it up as some kind of flawless gem or make completely nonsensical arguments as to why the combat (or controls, or UI, or...) can't or shouldn't be improved based on the formula Elex is already using is some of the most retarded fanboyism I've ever seen.

We get it, you love the game and will defend it to the death no matter any glaring flaws and make nonsensical arguments that are completely out of context because you're a faggot. You suck it's cock without reflection. Now fuck off.

Kahr

I need to know, Luckmann .
If you say the combat system is total shit, is that absolute or relative to other games?
What system would you prefer in a RT Open World Action RPG?
Dark Souls? Skyrim? Witcher? Gothic 1 & 2? Risen?

Cause i have lot's of fun with the combat system.
For me it's arguably the best combat system in a PB game.
One could argue about ELEX or Risen 1 though.

Cromwell

Arcane
I have read a good portion of the thread and apart from the elex is life meme I am still a bit undecided. It seems most of the people in the its shit camp complain about the combat? Last PB Game I played through was risen and I only used bows. I still had lots of fun so I assume I can safely purchase and have lots of fun again? Or is there anything else thats worse than it was in Risen (I played the second one only for about 20 minutes and didnt touch the third)?

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, aside from gameplay not being that great, rest of the game is stellar IMO, I haven't finished it tho so I can't comment about end game.

Factions are pretty good, world is great, quests and choices is great as well.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have read a good portion of the thread and apart from the elex is life meme I am still a bit undecided. It seems most of the people in the its shit camp complain about the combat? Last PB Game I played through was risen and I only used bows. I still had lots of fun so I assume I can safely purchase and have lots of fun again? Or is there anything else thats worse than it was in Risen (I played the second one only for about 20 minutes and didnt touch the third)?
I hate repeating myself but it's just Gothic 2.5 in a different setting with slightly clunkier-looking combat (due to animations not getting better as you upgrade the skill).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom