Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Shit in RPGs that piss you off

mondblut

Arcane
Lack of "end turn" button.

Enforced "replayability" as in "you can go to either level A or level B but not both because we've got to peddle it how superreplayableseventimes our game is". Get real, faggots, moar like not even once.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Lack of "end turn" button.

Enforced "replayability" as in "you can go to either level A or level B but not both because we've got to peddle it how superreplayableseventimes our game is". Get real, faggots, moar like not even once.

Only games I can think of that do this are JRPGs, which aren't worth playing anyways.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
I only games I can think of that do this are JRPGs, which aren't worth playing anyways.

BG2 (probably the most offending example because there is absolutely no reason why the story couldn't incorporate both the drow city and the sahuagin area one after another), Gothic (2 esp.) forcing you to choose a faction and lock yourself out from 2/3 quests - just from the top of my head.

Colour Spray

Educated
Final Fantasy X's Sphere Grid, or the not-even-the-pretense-of-an-option-at-all approach to character customization. Further perfected in Final Fantasy XIII.

Ironically the sphere grid is one of the lesser offenders because having earlier access to whatever the key spheres are called allow you go in a slightly different direction; but ultimately everybody ends in the same place if you have the patience to grind it out, making even that facet pointless. Despite being quite playable FFX did a lot of harm to the jrpg genre in general. For instance, it includes a rock-paper-scissors system of strength/weaknesses common in jrpgs; but then undoes the fun part of players testing different strategies to find a good approach to defeating difficult enemies and instead hands you a cheat-sheet in the form of scan/libra. What's left is a game with 1 good boss-battle in the main story and a fairly lukewarm story of self-sacrifice, otherwise.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I only games I can think of that do this are JRPGs, which aren't worth playing anyways.

BG2 (probably the most offending example because there is absolutely no reason why the story couldn't incorporate both the drow city and the sahuagin area one after another), Gothic (2 esp.) forcing you to choose a faction and lock yourself out from 2/3 quests - just from the top of my head.

I forgot about Baldur's Gate 2. They should have at least opened the path you didn't take up to exploration.

But if that's it in regards to crpgs/western rpgs then that's not too bad. Games like Chrono Trigger/Cross, Radiata Stories, and most Atlus titles have some form of this.

Reminds me of Divinity Original Sin, where not taking a shit talent (Pet Pal) will actually make you miss 4 or 5 quests throughout the game. Stupid design choice, imo.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
- Grid Inventories. Just gimme carry weight dude.

I think Grid inventories aren't bad, just annoying. Having to Tetris your way into carrying more shit isn't fun. But I always thought an inventory that accounted for "carry weight" and "volume" would be good. Easy, intuitive, and comfortable to use. So basically grid inventory's strengths (accounting for volume), but no weaknesses (having to manually rearrange shit all the time).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I think that Dark Souls pretty much fixed EVERYTHING I hate about RPGs:

- Unchallenging and mindless combat.
- Enemies that don't require different strategies and thus feel all samey.
- Uninspired level design.

Among other things.

Stokowski

Arcane
Manual looting.
Party members that bother me with their Daddy issues.
Quest text that reads like it was written by the company accountant.
Attempts to create an olde worlde atmosphere with 'thou's and 'thine's.
Hitpoint bloat.
Card/dice minigames.

Morkar Left

Levelscaling
Levelscaling
Levelscaling
Piss easy main quest with all difficulty outsourced to some hp bloated optional "bosses" in sidequests which seems to be the latest trend nowadays

wyes gull

Savant
RTWP.
Grind, generally speaking.
Conversations that are txt dumps rather than conversations.
Explicit requirements that are grayed out; if I can't do it, I don't want to fucking know.
Floating numbers; stick that shit in a box in the bottom left corner.
Prevalence of shit loot and the game's expectancy that you will grind selling said shit loot over and over again to make money; thanks, but I'd rather Cheat Engine instead.
And did I mention RTWP?

Good/evil choices that don't actually change anything.
Good/evil choices.
Choices that don't change anything.
Npcs who want to tell you their life story that you must read if you want to play all the content.

Falksi

Arcane
- Copy-paste/soulless open worlds
- Drowning in junk loot
- Handholding, minimaps & quests completed by following markers instead of instructions
- Having every elf I meet wanting me to bum them
- Level scaling
- Enemies I can beat simply by levelling up, instead of taking a different approach to them such as obtaining an item or finding a weakness etc.

But the BIGGEST gripe of all, which has now shockingly/disgustingly become commonplace in games......HAVING A WANK MAIN QUEST. Seriously, after playing TW3 I couldn't believe a game with such a dull, repetitive and lacklustre main quest got such high praise. Skyrim, the Dragon Age sequels, The Mass Effect sequels etc. So many games nowadays have main quests that wouldn't even make the side-quest grade in bygone eras.

mondblut

Arcane
Ah, another pet peeve is forced and unescapable "ambushes". Like, you enter a hall and are suddenly standing in the middle of it surrounded by enemies at all sides. I don't remember walking there, you cunt!

hellbent

Augur
Ah, another pet peeve is forced and unescapable "ambushes". Like, you enter a hall and are suddenly standing in the middle of it surrounded by enemies at all sides. I don't remember walking there, you cunt!

Yes, this is incredibly obnoxious. Also, getting forced into conversations with the enemies that bring you into point blank range with them, which also takes away your ability to position your party. The fight with Batha in NWN 2 comes immediately to mind.

pippin

Pretending you have "moral" choices when it's black and white shit. Well, to be honest, the whole alignment shit must be the worst mechanic I've ever seen, imo. Because that means we have games that force you to be a goody two shoes, like every Bioware crap, or just go chaotic stupid.

Not getting to make characters myself, most of the times.

"Balance" in single player games.

- A too light, "funny"/silly general tone

This is something I actually miss. Like in the old days of M&M and Wizardry, where you used to meet all kinds of crazy shit. Now we have grimdork boring crap for people who want to feel badass. Fuck that.

- Stronk wymmynz

Faggot.

red_sonja_by_sebastien_grenier-d8wgors.jpg

wyes gull

Savant

Ah yes, cutscene-enforced retardedness. Can't believe I forgot that one.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Minigames.
End boss battles where your character development to that point makes no difference, or is in itself a stupid minigame (for example Risen).
Not being able to save where I want.
Endings where you 're-establish the underlying theme of sacrifice' i.e. to win, you are forced to let the character you spent countless hours to develop to die for some inane greater good. Those fuckers have never had to sacrifice anything in their lives and therefore think it's so cool.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
1. Camera angles that change at random.
2. Emo protagonists and antagonists.
3. Longwinded dialogs and/or cutscenes that are impossible to skip
4. 10-minutes of cutscene for every 5 minutes of gameplay.
5. The romances are mandatory for the main plot.
6. Combat where to determine whether your attack hit you need to play an action mini-game each time.
7. party members that cannot be removed.
8. Autistic durability where your weapons will break after approximately 5 minutes of combat.
9. Long and repetitive unskippable action animations such as a blacksmith taking 20 seconds to make/mend anything.
10. Virtually zero monster variety other than enemy recolours/HP bloat.
11. Every dialogue contains at least 2 made up words.
12. 100% Level scaling of both monsters and loot.
13. No unique items and the biggest difference between weapons of a similar standard are +2% damage vs +10% resist element.
14. Every task feels utterly disconnected from the previous one and the gameworld as a whole/your character and their choices.
15. The antagonist is called Tim.
16. The varied inhabitants of the world extends no further than Humans, Dwarves and Elves. Or permutations lesser.
17. Randomly generated puzzles where solveability isn't necessarily in the code.
18. Miserly inventory slots combined with voluminous quest and/or crafting items that span the entire game.
19. Delayed fail states from choices made hours ago.
20. Enemies spawn next to you on a regular basis, without the aid of invisibility aides.
21. There should be many long and boring loading screens wherever possible.
22. Vendors don't sell anything you want to buy except minor consumables.
23. Crafting is mostly about making minor consumables that are a dime a dozen at the vendors.
24. You can't walk more than five steps without spotting a minor crafting component.
25. The game's sounds, music and/or ambient, are on incredibly short and repetitive loops.
26. Camera zooms in to the maximum upon initiating dialogue but forgets to zoom out when dialogue ends.
27. Zoomed in camera during dialogues produces absurd angles like someone's chin talking to someone's nutsack.
28. The game is so buggy you have no idea what's a bug and what's a feature.
29. When you perform a task for a Companion the only reward is hearing the next part of their tedious life story.
30. The ending is only available via DLC, as are the best weapons and armour.
31. All the dungeons have the exact same aesthetic and overall design.
32. The game keeps stressing about the urgency of your mission/s.
33. Random combat encounters round every corner.
34. Combat involves rolling around on the floor.
35. The tutorial is an unskippable, two-hour long infodump about the fictional setting, its geography, history, and its 23 Eras. None of those things ever appear in the game.
36. Quest markers everywhere
37. Harder difficulty just doubles all stats in the game.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hate it when you have a really long dialogue (or cutscene) before a difficult fight and the game doesn't let you save at the start of the combat.

You then have to repeat the dialogue to get into combat again.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
That most of them aren't that good.

That the newer ones try really hard to ride the nostalgia bike and fail miserably at it.

That they're (probably?) the genre that attracts the biggest amount people who pretend to be gamers while not being interested in playing computer games.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
This could in fact be easily made into an optional situation depending on a skill check on perception or something.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Reminds me of Divinity Original Sin, where not taking a shit talent (Pet Pal) will actually make you miss 4 or 5 quests throughout the game. Stupid design choice, imo.

go play oblivion to have your "being warrior shouldnt lock me out of wizards guilds and becoming dragon arch mage!"

Are you implying that warriors are incapable of using magic? Or that players can't make choices themselves based on their character's vocation/personality?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom