Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPGs have the most sword-and-sorcery feel?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The 1991 Conan the Cimmerian action RPG (DOS/Amiga) is decent. If the whole interface/control wasn't clunky as fuck, it could have been great. IIRC you needed to use the city maps from the manual to find where things are, since the city was pretty big and chaotic. I really liked that old-school stuff.

You gotta love this intro. Conan smooches his woman and then he sends her to do the laundry while he works the anvil making some big-ass swords. Then, as she's by the river wearing her leather thong and shaking her ass, evil soldiers raid the village and kill her. The biggest mistake they could have done, now Conan will find them and put their heads on pikes... :lol:

There's also the obscure amiga game Evil's Doom, that was about to be released in amiga's dying days, but was never formally published. It has been released in the net since. It's a pretty cool looking dungeon crawler, and even if the name Conan isn't used, it's obviously only for copyright reasons.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The 1991 Conan the Cimmerian action RPG (DOS/Amiga) is decent. If the whole interface/control wasn't clunky as fuck, it could have been great. IIRC you needed to use the city maps from the manual to find where things are, since the city was pretty big and chaotic. I really liked that old-school stuff.

You gotta love this intro. Conan smooches his woman and then he sends her to do the laundry while he works the anvil making some big-ass swords. Then, as she's by the river wearing her leather thong and shaking her ass, evil soldiers raid the village and kill her. The biggest mistake they could have done, now Conan will find them and put their heads on pikes... :lol:

There's also the obscure amiga game Evil's Doom, that was about to be released in amiga's dying days, but was never formally published. It has been released in the net since. It's a pretty cool looking dungeon crawler, and even if the name Conan isn't used, it's obviously only for copyright reasons.

Never could get the fighting in this game to work.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
To me, Spirit of Adventure always felt like this. Partially because they stole a bunch of Conan the Barbarian images and drew over them, but there is just something rough and Teutonic about the aesthetic of the first few Attic RPGs. The game sucks though, don't actually play it.

Blade of Destiny has a similar feeling and probably a similar nonchalant attitude toward art theft. Blade of Destiny especially captures the essence of shirtless, sweating barbarians because of its emphasis on the wilderness, camping, travel and low magic fantasy. Unlike Spirit of Adventure, Blade of Destiny is great - one of the best RPGs and something everyone here should play.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Never could get the fighting in this game to work.

IIRC you fought the duels with the numpad. It was a bit like the Barbarian game, but clunkier.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well, if all you care about is the setting, and not the writing or the mechanics, then there is always that game...

3022682-ver-ss-003.png

Neanderthal

Arcane
Rune?
Oddly enough a Torment fighter run does the business if you ask me, big axe, half nekkid barbarian, 100% attitude, dogs bollocks.
Severance already been mentioned but its interesting to read up on lore behind its mythology an place names it uses, Zoroastrian an Persian/middle eastern stuff. Go Tukaram.
Volgarr the Viking, back to good old twitch days.
Enclave has a kinda different setting (Roman Elves) but is bloody silly at points, an theres too many pointy fuckin ears.
Sacred as a Gadiator or Seraphim should fit but despite good atmosphere, sounds an a decent mechanical side theres nowt there to really hold you, deep as a puddle. But wandering through desert while that music plays and coming across Bronze Age settlements o Orcs, an all undead shambling from their graves, its a pretty good experience an best part o game for me.
Worlds of Ultima: Savage Empire kinda does what you're lookin for.
Early text adventures the Quest an Ring Quest used a lot o Frazetta like art.
Tir Na Nog an Dun Darach I suppose you could take a look at, don't really conjure up historical/mythological Hound of Culain though.
Yeah not enough ancient world/sword an sorcery stuff really, folk want same renaissance fayre shit oer an oer again it seems, we need some brawn, buttocks, breasts an bloodied broadswords in hands o barbaric bastards who sport a full set o bollocks.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
Ww-what game is this?

I played the Game on Amiga back in the days, but there is a ugly EGA Version for DOS. It played like Dungeonmaster in very boring, you had only one Character, IIRC Magic was only available with Scrolls and it was far to easy to kill a friendly NPC accidentally. The Game was shit, but it had a nice Overworld and some scantly clad women :)

Oh, maybe the Conan Modules from NWN 2 should be mentioned.
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/conan-chronicles-legions-dead
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/conan-chronicles-2-zamorian-chronicles

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ww-what game is this?

I played the Game on Amiga back in the days, but there is a ugly EGA Version for DOS. It played like Dungeonmaster in very boring, you had only one Character, IIRC Magic was only available with Scrolls and it was far to easy to kill a friendly NPC accidentally. The Game was shit, but it had a nice Overworld and some scantly clad women :)

Oh, maybe the Conan Modules from NWN 2 should be mentioned.
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/conan-chronicles-legions-dead
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/conan-chronicles-2-zamorian-chronicles
They were. You're missing the gladiator one.

V_K

Arcane
Keef the Thief has all the Conan-ish tropes, but it makes a parody of them rather than playing it straight. Can't blame the devs though, it's hard to take that shit seriously.

Darkzone

Arcane
One thing that increasingly annoys me about recent RPGs is their adherence to a high-magic Early Renaissance/Late Middle Ages type setting, with elves, dwarves, and other non-human intelligent races being common.

Are there any RPGs out there that go for a more human-centric, Bronze Age/Iron Age setting where magic is something to crush the sanity of those who dabble in it instead of something to be used for whimsical fireworks?

Basically, I'm looking for games that feel more like this:
9dee643238f87c80624c9125cc9c1c4a.jpg

Than this:

1369714772372.jpg
Dark Sun is the most Sword & Sorcery type of ADD setting and the game reflects this. Conan the Cimmerian was a nice game but it wasn't that type of a real cRPG. S&S setting requires a low magic world, so Tranny is not really S&S because of the extend amout of magic.
I can tell you what i have heard from a "hmm" person: S&S ARPG in a savage bronze age world can appear on EA Steam or on GOG in 1 year. But please don't bind me to it, because this person is quite lazy and is taking to much drugs and i had only few conversations with hir.
If i can find a picture from this thing i will post it for you.

Last edited:

bylam

Funcom
Developer
bylam, why won't Funcom make a single player Conan RPG???

Until very recently we only had multiplayer rights to the Conan IP.
Corporate Management still strongly believes that the only way to make money is with multiplayer games (something I disagree with wholeheartedly).

I wrote a Darklands inspired pitch in 2014 that we discussed quite a bit. For a while, I thought we were actually going to make it. I even made a prototype in our Dreamworld Engine. And then we switched to Unreal 4 and changed plans.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dragon Wars takes some cues from swords&sorcery with its Mesopotamian city states and Roman legionaries, but it almost immediately turns around and starts to sneak in more high fantasy (including the titular dragons, a late addition). It is an excellent game, but still, pretty disappointing that they almost had something solidly S&S, and then it slipped out of their hands.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's kind of ironic that the games (that I have played at least) that best capture the S&S mood are non-RPGs like Dun Darach and Thief. In these games you are forced to play characters with limited abilities, though, while in CRPGs the wider choices seem to make it inevitable that the games become magic heavy.
I guess that in CRPGs, and MERP, most players won't accept not being able to play a character being able to cast spells.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Cos when its an RPG they gotta make fag wizards for players and every third person must be a wizard and they can't be all evul wizards so inevitable fundamental change of feel of the setting to accommodate this and some more stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom