Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I have seen 2 streamers having save bug that prevented saving and i also had this. Considering i have watched 4 streamers more than 20 minutes, save problems are quite common.

How convenient that we can never verify this ;)

PS. I watch Prey streams everyday and no streamer had problems with the saves. Not even crashes. But I guess I did not look hard enough ...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/297966/Chat_with_the_lead_designer_of_the_new_Prey_at_3PM_EDT.php

Chat with the lead designer of the new Prey at 3PM EDT

Prey
is back, but it’s nothing like its 2006 predecessor. What was once an id-tech fueled monster marathon has instead become a science fiction-horror immersive simulator that’s far more interested in warping players’ sense of reality than letting them blow through waves of aliens.

What inspired these changes? Why do the designers let players turn into coffee cups? We’ll get answers to these questions and more when we chat with Arkane Studios lead designer Ricardo Bare, who will be joining us at 3PM EDT on the Gamasutra Twitch channel as we take a developer-focused look at Prey.

It should be an illuminating conversation, especially for those of you interested in making similar kinds of simulation games, so be sure to join in and ask questions in Twitch chat. And while you’re at it, be sure to follow the Gamasutra Twitch channel for more developer interviews, editor roundtables and gameplay commentary.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
How will they even create DLC for this game? Create another space station?
I didn't play Bioshock DLCs but since Rapture wasn't a fully designed place, there was room for new locations.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I didn't play Bioshock DLCs but since Rapture wasn't a fully designed place, there was room for new locations.
It will be a prequel, about how it was a human android that created the aliens many years in the past, in a distant planet, then through many shenanigans the "aliens" make their way to earth.

ciox

Liturgist
I thought the DLC was going to be in the form of more modes/difficulties/powers since they've been talking about stuff like that, has the survival DLC actually been confirmed yet somewhere?

Siel

Arcane
Patron
I thought the DLC was going to be in the form of more modes/difficulties/powers since they've been talking about stuff like that, has the survival DLC actually been confirmed yet somewhere?

They talked about in the interview from a few pages ago but they mention a patch not a DLC.

Divinity: Original Sin
It will be a prequel, about how it was a human android that created the aliens many years in the past, in a distant planet, then through many shenanigans the "aliens" make their way to earth.

Preymetheus: Covenant DLC

Last edited:

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Some of the audio logs mention crewmembers selling the technology to rival corporations or smuggling it off station to help family/friends. I'm sure they can conjure up some secondary facility where things also go horribly wrong.

Heresiarch

Prophet
So I've finally finished it. Took 25 hours, lost quite a bit of patient in doing the sidequests (the frequent backtracking and lots of loading screens got annoying REAL fast). Just pushed for the ending and see what's it all about.

Weeelllll.....the ending was actually better than I expected. I understand now why a lot people hate it, even though it is not THAT bad:

The fact that whatever you do during the game do not influence the real outcome, is true that would piss some people off. But I also liked the plot twist (I made several guesses but even then I got caught off guard) and how the game aknowledged my actions. Too bad that instead of letting my actions shape the ending (like Witcher 3, or even good old Bioshock), instead I've been given just an arbitary evil/good choice of ending.

Chamezero

more than a week after release, less then 200k copies sold
looking forward to arkane's mobile games

Sentinel

Arcane
Well what do you expect?

Dishonored 2's PC version was a complete fucking mess.
Prey not having a PC demo was a massive red alert. People just immediately assumed it was because the PC version was gonna be another pile of shit. Add to that the fact it has Denuvo - which instantly kills any discussion on any game ever - and you got a recipe for no sales.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Game gets much, much better once you reach that zone with the plants everywhere, they take the kids gloves off and you start facing more than one phantom at the same time, the advanced typhoon like the weavers, technopaths and telepaths start showing up and all have extremely dangerous attacks, especially on enclosed spaces. You need some sort of strategy to defeat them, had to find a way to kill a telepath without killing the people it was controlling and its psychic blasts can wipe you out at close range. Used the Gloo gun to make some stairs to get up on a building then provoked it and used the mobility of the jump jets to fall down without harm while I sniped it as it was an slow floating ball of black goo.

Great mobility to be put to a good use on combat. Had to fight a technopath, dangerous asshole, even forced me to use a grenade that blocked his powers for a few seconds on an enclosed space while it was helped by those annoying flamethrower robots that are tough as fuck to normal guns. Really appreciate that it takes a very long time until you get a decent enough ranged weapon, if you aren't using phantom powers, you are really underpowered until getting the green laser thing.

I really see two major playstyles, typhoon Morgan or technical Morgan. I have to say that once you learn to fabricate turrets and has the skill to reinforce them, it might be pretty fun to set up killing zones for the Typhoon. Technical Morgan is more about fighting indirectly while Typhoon Morgan is more about using the awesome button powers.

The Nightmare started showing of and the turrets see me as an enemy, plan to get stronk enough, stop running like a bitch and try to kill it just for giggles.

Don't get it why it took so long for them stop screwing around. You spend a LONG time fighting mimics and the eventual lone phantom. The game should have started to kick your ass by the Hardware labs, much, much sooner but instead, it takes forever of "Oh noes, when he next predictable mimic attack will happen?". While I really liked their idea for the mimic and the way they implemented is surprisingly not broken but it gets annoying pretty quickly to use the psychic googles so much just to detect mimics and avoid losing health to jump scares. By the end of the psythronics division, I was tired of the jump scares with the occasion phantom around.

The start is really slow, the mimics overstay their welcome as most often fought enemy type by way too long.

It is a pity that Arkane will be downsized as support company for Fallout 5 because of the terrible sales.

Paul_cz

Arcane
So I've finally finished it. Took 25 hours, lost quite a bit of patient in doing the sidequests (the frequent backtracking and lots of loading screens got annoying REAL fast). Just pushed for the ending and see what's it all about.

Weeelllll.....the ending was actually better than I expected. I understand now why a lot people hate it, even though it is not THAT bad:

The fact that whatever you do during the game do not influence the real outcome, is true that would piss some people off. But I also liked the plot twist (I made several guesses but even then I got caught off guard) and how the game aknowledged my actions. Too bad that instead of letting my actions shape the ending (like Witcher 3, or even good old Bioshock), instead I've been given just an arbitary evil/good choice of ending.

Your actions actually do shape the ending! That is the whole frigging point. If you act like an asshole with no empathy, Alex and the operators simply kill you and continue the experiment. If you are decent, they give you a chance, and you then have the possibility to attempt peace or kill them all. I thought it was quite fantastic. It also explained my biggest issue with the game, Morgan being silent throughout the game.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It is a pity that Arkane will be downsized as support company for Fallout 5 because of the terrible sales.

Oh please, there are much greater offenders within the Zenimax family than Arkane. Remember the horrible development hell of Doom4, or the abject flop that was The Evil Within. And yet, those studios are still alive and well and likely making sequels right now.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
IGN's Dan Stapleton updated his Prey review to an 8, which is the same score he gave Duke Nukem Forever back in the day.

What nonsense.

[Note: When Prey launched, I hit a game-breaking bug on PC that prevented me from recommending it. That’s now been patched, and so has this review. It’s now updated to cover our experiences on all platforms. It was initially scored as a 4.0 on PC.]

You're telling me a game bug can lower the score by multiple points? I bet a game melting their consoles wouldn't get such a bad score for it.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Irresponsible ass. He might even update it to 10 and it changes little in the greater scheme of things. For one, some review aggregate sites like Metacritic don't acknowledge score changes, meaning that they only count each publication's initial score. Meaning that IGN's 40/100 will stay on metacritic, forever lowering the PC version's average score. And, MC doesn't give equal weight to all scores, so that scores from more "important" source like IGN have more impact.

Again, irresponsible little ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom