Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Poll: Western Blobbers After 2000 That You Played

Which of these Western blobbers have you played?

• Total voters

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Where is aweigh? Figured he'd have been here by now. C'mon aweigh, get over here and educate these heathens.

Put an @ in fron of his name, like this: aweigh

You mention "Western-Style" and proceed to dismiss several games on seemingly rando basis.

I thought the issue was that I didn't dismiss enough games?

Made in Japan != Shit in every case. Especially when it comes to post 2000 era blobbers.

Dark Spire is an awesome blobber made in Nippon.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't have much love for the animus either, but gameplay>>>art-style.

I cannot really get into a game that is populated by lolis. Etryan Odyssey I suffered through to the end, but cannot bring myself to play the rest.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The issue is that you call them "western blobbers" and then put several games on the list that either are not western or not a blobber and make bullshit excuses when people point it out.

I already explained it in the OP, so it's not "making up excuses afterwards":

I've included a few RPG's made in Japan that have Westernized graphics.

Reagarding the Japanese blobbers that are Western-style: Many, including myself, draw the line at animu avatars and NPC's. Dark Spire clearly doesn't have that and neither does Eliminage. Stranger has a non-animu option and it was suggested by people in this thread.

No you didn't "explain" anything in the OP, as surprising at it will sound to You - others can read too, at least i did. In the OP you just wrote: "...westernized graphics". This is arbitrary and can mean anything you want it to mean but the main point is - they do not have "westernized" graphics. They have graphics that You wouldn't consider "japanese" at first glance for some reason. Not the same thing. But let's show it to everyone so they can judge:
g2V1CndBEWSTDkXjBZunMkotr-skvNmJtC3Dd3AdD8Lypf55UhbdwBTxnPPP8Nlxt5LuyxfvEnZHZarLZDM-HEh3_A6BQmvkFIIaqKjU73-4Q-uPwSYj5W20N5Ghdp9szCB2JwONW2AaZLoL_iFuOdmbaQDcWQovKfkeQRJ3IkxtuHAusIQMTmYVQsGCaDUjFbCdUZ9UQbL9xAtZvMJM4w9C6XltQAlnu4lBnYfoy2hbWchIB7-dDU6-57ztqKspTPwv8CU6XSHaZGjdhpPa_uXI=w512-h288-nc

gSR_h1QcBo6REh9CJpJjizcsrHfZYlzh37JRlT1lCvpWu8W-QZfaIXk_J4uqiggXq0zsga-SX1QEjnX8NNbURTYb3jNx_9re0kKnljYFIuz06F7bqWzpcbaeYslinbGl2s-b43Rw3th6eRQL9zUPi8Mi6TdvcN4MCFpsYuJk78zr8g=w509-h289-nc

images
850B5ECDF5B535F479DA7F2EE3BBA654107A967E

Now (this is afterwards) you are going with the "no big eyes avatars" reasonins which is... ehhh... a very weak and extremely arbitrary criterion and you yourself probably see it but won't admit it because of the e-penis competition (aka internet discussion).
But ok, if that is the criterion, i am ok with it. So "western blobbers with some blobbers from Japan that i don't dislike like most because reasons (no big eyed avatars)" it is. You should have made it clear in the OP.

... As to The Quest, tell me how many RPG's there are that are 1) grid-based, 2) 1st person and 3) TB and are NOT a blobber. Seriously, find just one example. Technically it is not a blobber since it's just one character, but it's close enough to be included.
Oh i can find dozens of exemples but let's consider first a few questions: Why it needs to be TB ? On your list i can find LoG and LoG2 so no, TB is clearly not a requirement for You (or for being a blobber in general). Same with grid-based: You have Wizardry 8 on Your list which is not grid-based (same with Wizards and Warriors and M&M9 - i think...). Double standards or again write then think attitude ? It seems that all i have to do is find a 1st person crpg (because the only meaningful criterium that all crpgs on your list share at this moment is 1st person view - don't you see an issue with it ? Really, not a little bit ?)* that doesn't have a... blob. Exactly like you did. Let me see, 1st person and NOT blobber... ooooh well starting from all the classics like Dungeon Master, going through decline like Stonekeep and if you want some 2000+ games finishing with obscure indie ones from last few years like Verlies 2. And i am going only through 1st person dungeon crawlers but honestly with those requirements of yours any 1st person crpg would qualify to the list.

*See for yourself, right now You have grid and non-grid based games, blobber and single character based games, tb, real-time and "in-between crpg". Technically with addition of the Quest you killed the only criterion specific enough to glue the other games together: being actual blobbers.

I wish you making a lot of well-thought lists in the future, so that your "butthurt" emoticons can start making sense too :hug:

Edit:
One of my favourites from Elminage:
5Z0DK42oU5DrG6KoRGTeXq2eqmF-unoaO9GvRSHkujE4gpdzGChR6xMJLRjyOEWQrql_KU-RiiMbuZiO3nevZ91i4UXwDTB9wymAVEfeE4YVjgLpNstIHtde8p5cWu05wyBRaxk2-b1pB2iU1nb_nJ1s9HK4IEsUTBYC33qvib1JOZM4zwjYeA=w251-h378-nc
Looks extremely japanese. The art style isn't typical japan but the subject matter is stuff only japanese have imagination for these days.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Is Cardhalia really that bad that nobody played it? It's freeware and there is an English version of it too:

Funnily enough, it has the same clipping issue when turning as the Grimoire default smooth movement.

More info from the developers:

A classic grid-based crawler made by a couple game loving Czech kids. Cardhalia was originally released for the Czech market but later translated to english for all us crawler fans to enjoy!

There’s very little information to be found about this game.

From the developer:

Cardhalia is a grid-based dungeon game we created quite a long time ago now. As the game was very successful in those times in Czech Republic, we were asked to create an English version so it can be played by people who doesn’t know the Czech language. We decided to proceed this idea and hope that you will appreciate it.

Please note that this game was created ten years ago by 16-18 years old guys. We had no ambitions back then to develop a commercial product. If you find the graphics slightly weird or software too primitive, then yeah, you’re right. Remember, it was and still is just a freeware game created by kids as an experiment of “how to do it”.

Despite being an experiment it has good looking graphics for a 10 year old crawler, and the gameplay has some nice touches.

They are supposedly working on a sequel, Cardhalia 2: Tales of the Kingdom, which looks to be a classic crawler with some serious hand-drawn eye candy.

http://www.dungeoncrawlers.org/game/cardhalia-english/

They have been working on Cardhalia 2, with (somewhat) better graphics:

file.php

file.php

20130101_1.jpg

Spoiler Alert: The last update was 5 years ago. The eventual fate of any large-scale blobber it seems.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I'm waiting for the day that the glorious Wapanese discover that there were sequels after Wizardry 1-5 and make a game like that - without lolis. We can all dream...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Prestigious elite who played D.W. Bradley's Wizards&Warriors report.
Might pick up again some time in the future.
Maybe,

M&M X would be ok game if not uWOTplay DRM, terrible engine (Unity) that make game feel sluggish and other problems.
I spend more time with M&M9 v1.3 than X and that should say something,

Played some Cardhalia - don't feel like time was wasted on it (if we ignore games as a time waster) just don't have anything memorable in term of quests, NPCs or else.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'll try not to trigger your totally-not-autism in the future.
Now let's hear another three page argument on why it is totally wrong and unacceptable to do that. I'm listening.
No, you are clearly not, making any further attempt at discussing or using arguments a waste of time - so i won't.
I reserve an option to make mindless posts if some fun is to be had.
On a completely unrelated note: "autism" is another of those difficult words... meaning hard to grasp, tricky to use in the correct situation, just like "butthurt"... right ? :hug:

Edit: "anothere three pages" ? That was more like half dozen phrases, half page at most (pretty pictures excluded). I will assume that you just made a hyperbole - and it isn't a sign of an attention deficit disorder (and that is a medical term used correctly in the context afaik - i could be wrong of curse) that so many kids supposedly have these days.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
As to The Quest, tell me how many RPG's there are that are 1) grid-based, 2) 1st person and 3) TB and are NOT a blobber. Seriously, find just one example.
Aren't grid-based and blobber mutualy exclusive? The closest I can think of is Wizardry 8, in that you had a static formation (which mattered).

TBH I know the merits of a "typical" blobber. Highly strategic character building, resource management, being careful in terms of where to go. I just prefer the combat layer to be "non-blobber." IMO that's not taking away from blobbers, it's combining the merits of blobbers with the merits of types of gameplay without sacrificing ("streamlining") the principles of the blobber.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
As to The Quest, tell me how many RPG's there are that are 1) grid-based, 2) 1st person and 3) TB and are NOT a blobber. Seriously, find just one example.
Aren't grid-based and blobber mutualy exclusive? The closest I can think of is Wizardry 8, in that you had a static formation (which mattered).

Grid-based movement, not grid-baed combat positioning.

TBH I know the merits of a "typical" blobber. Highly strategic character building, resource management, being careful in terms of where to go. I just prefer the combat layer to be "non-blobber." IMO that's not taking away from blobbers, it's combining the merits of blobbers with the merits of types of gameplay without sacrificing ("streamlining") the principles of the blobber.

Bard's Tale 4 is trying to do just that. The first example since Wizardry 8.

I reserve an option to make mindless posts if some fun is to be had.

The mindless part is pretty clear.

And since you asked for a definition of autism, here is another great example:

Edit: "anothere three pages" ? That was more like half dozen phrases, half page at most (pretty pictures excluded). I will assume that you just made a hyperbole - and it isn't a sign of an attention deficit disorder (and that is a medical term used correctly in the context afaik - i could be wrong of curse) that so many kids supposedly have these days.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Only one I've played (but not completed due to losing interest) so far is MM9.

I had Wizards&Warriors up and running at one point, but for many reasons I never played it much. Should be interesting to see if I can make it work on my current computer...

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I had Wizards&Warriors up and running at one point, but for many reasons I never played it much. Should be interesting to see if I can make it work on my current computer...

Yeah, back when it came out I stopped playing about 20% through. The crate-stacking puzzles and jumping with the whole party seemed out of place and the game as a whole was more by-the-numbers and less inspired than Bradley's Wizardry 6 & 7.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Blobbers are not games.

Blobbers are the most gamey type of CRPGs, and most different from interactive movies, so I'm afraid you are mistaken.

EDIT: It is common knowledge that blobbers are gamey by virtue of being more abstract than other types of CRPGs. No citation needed.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
have played and thus voted for:

- wizardry 8
- might and magic 10
- the dark spire
- elminage: gothic

(btw, elminage: ORiginal was released in 2003-2004 so... it counts too! though in terms of aesthetic it is more japanese than E: Gothic which was intentionally designed to be as close to western Wizardry as possible and not "japanese-y". Also, Wiz Empire 1 and 2 and 3 were all released post 2000, with Empire 1 being released at the beginning of that year. Those are all not only "canon" Wiz games contracted by Sir-Tec themselves, but besides that are also much truer and better continuations of the Wiz series than the western titles.).

- paper sorcerer
- starCrawlers (played the early access beta; looking foward to its full release)
- grimrock 1
- grimrock 2
- Seven Mages
- Devil Whiskey (made me want to seek out original BT games)
- Stranger of Sword City

- frayed knights... Frayed Knights was a turning point for me. Not because it was that good but because:

DramaticPopcorn

- I remember playing this way back in the day when i used to think first-person 'crawlers were not as much RPGs as the c&c shit that everybody thinks are actual RPGs. Heh. how times change. now I find that majority of c&c RPGs are just mediocre adventure-game hybrids without a strong RPG foundation to bolster their gameplay; whereas by mechanical default the type of 1st-person 'crawler game discussed here is indisputably an RPG first and foremost and are usually bereft of the inclusion of Adventure Game elements.

Remember kids, c&c has never been an actual ingredient of RPGs! it is a design element that is part of the current mainstream RPG template that was borrowed from MUDs and Adventure Games way back when and the formula proved very popular with the mainstream audience; much more so than a pure RPG design ever did, thus making the hodge-podge RPG "genre" of adventure game hybrids, most of which are not even turn-based, become the face of the genre in the eyes of the players and the industry.

CAVEAT: nothing wrong with a good adventure game hybrid (i enjoy FO 1 and 2 and BG, just like everybody else) but it is their strong foundation that makes those games true RPGs... nobody can deny that Fallouts 1/2 and BG 1/2 are (besides being excellent adventure game hybrids) also filled with mechanical depth that is unrelated to the "c&c" and in fact those games can be enjoyed completely by a player for their gameplay only. That is what marks an RPG.; not the c&c.

A choose-your-own-adventure R.L. Stein book is not an RPG, and neither are games that play like such things.

P.S. none of this has any bearing on the actual quality of the RPG of course! There are plenty of AWFUL "true RPGs" and plenty of AMAZING "adventure game hybrids". Please bear that in mind.

What is my definition of the truest, most text-book definition of a traditional RPG? None other than Wizardry 1: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord and in 2nd place Ultima IV.

I prefer the former over the latter because it features less c&c and much more mechanically complex gameplay. The same sentiment holds true in exactly the same way as it does with those two games since those games released and has not changed in any meaningful way.

A good RPG has good gameplay, not good "story". It can have both, of course, but only the former stands the test of time (and the player).

MISSING FROM THIS LIST: Team Muramasa's Generation XTH: Code Hazard which is most definitely post-2000, though that one is so japanese even I, who normally doesn't give a shit about this stuff, would never even dare include it in any list that stresses "western" aesthetic.

Also (with same jap-caveat) the class of heroes animu games. Also missing: a few indies like Heroes OF a Broken Land, and probably a few more I can't remember right now.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
nothing wrong with a good adventure game hybrid (i enjoy FO 1 and 2 and BG, just like everybody else) but it is their strong foundation that makes those games true RPGs... nobody can deny that Fallouts 1/2 and BG 1/2 are (besides being excellent adventure game hybrids) also filled with mechanical depth that is unrelated to the "c&c" and in fact those games can be enjoyed completely by a player for their gameplay only. That is what marks an RPG.; not the c&c.

A choose-your-own-adventure R.L. Stein book is not an RPG, and neither are games that play like such things.

:salute: :salute:

Perfectly said, I think.
This is what c&c-fags don't understand. durr needs ending slides and script to choose between A and B, otherwise it's not RPG durrrrrrrr

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Aren't grid-based and blobber mutualy exclusive?
lol how the fuck. It's grid-based as in the movement is locked to a grid not that battle happens on a gridded map.
Apparently you're not capable of reading more than once sentence.
The rest of your post is irrelevant. The vast majority of blobbers are grid-based instead of free move so idk what shit u smoke.
You act like smoking is a bad thing?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
nothing wrong with a good adventure game hybrid (i enjoy FO 1 and 2 and BG, just like everybody else) but it is their strong foundation that makes those games true RPGs... nobody can deny that Fallouts 1/2 and BG 1/2 are (besides being excellent adventure game hybrids) also filled with mechanical depth that is unrelated to the "c&c" and in fact those games can be enjoyed completely by a player for their gameplay only. That is what marks an RPG.; not the c&c.

:salute: :salute:

Perfectly said, I think.
This is what c&c-fags don't understand. durr needs ending slides and script to choose between A and B, otherwise it's not RPG durrrrrrrr
Best example of an adventure game hybrid is DOS. Though could say it's more bipolar than hybrid lol.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Downloaded Cardhalia today (the screenshots really give me Lands of Lore 1 vibes), but it didn't start because of a DLL error. Later found out that it may work if you use "compatibility mode for windows xp", but at that point I've already uninstalled the game and deleted the downloaded file. Not sure if I give it another try...

Btw. tough race between Wizardry 8 and Legend of Grimrock. Also interesting that MMX comes third. And that some played the rather unknown blobbers from the bottom :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom