Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you be interest in a new Top RPGs poll? (READ THE OP)

Would you want a "repoll" of the Codex' Top 95 RPGs?

• Total voters

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
As the title says, and I'll explain:

We've had two different votings in the past, with two different systems. The first one was the Top 70 PC RPGs. Users had a limited amount of points to distribute among different games they thought to be the best RPGs of all time. The second voting was the Age of Incline: 2012-2016 GOTY. Instead of distributing points, almost every popular RPG of the past four years was voted using a 1 to 5 point system. You would assign scores to every game you had played (and even those you hadn't played, just to troll), leading to a very nice representation of the Codex opinion on those games, or at least, as accurate as it realistically gets.

So I wondered: given that the latter voting uses a more appropiate system, as opposed to "list RPGs you think are great, while other people list different games just not to clutter the voting with the same games over and over again", what would happen if we were to poll the following games, using the Age of Incline system (rate each game you have played 1 to 5)?

KB55UGC.jpg

ErFxDFV.png

15468.jpg

(Dark Souls and Heroine's Quest are present in both the Top 70 and the 2012-2016 poll)

Overall, I'm very interested in what would happen if everyone would voice their opinion without having to adhere to a pesky voting system of point distribution. Considering this makes 95 games in total, if I'm not mistaken, it's already less of a pain in the ass when compared to the 190+ games polled in the 2012-2016 voting. So yeah. There's a lot of untapped potential here.

Aenra

No.

Am tired of the shenanigans and the speshul algorithms the special geeks will need to portray them and the subsequent bitching about which was bestest for job.
And am tired of seeing with my own eyes just what kind of shit most get to play the fake results they will bring forth anyway.

We're already shitposting; why complicate it.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
No.

Am tired of the shenanigans and the speshul algorithms the special geeks will need to portray them and the subsequent bitching about which was bestest for job.
And am tired of seeing with my own eyes just what kind of shit most get to play the fake results they will bring forth anyway.

We're already shitposting; why complicate it.

No special algorithms. Just the points and the point average, nothing more, nothing less.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This might surprise you, but there's a reason why I do all these "special algorithms".

Take the 2012-2016 list for example: Rank by points and Pillars of Eternity was the 2nd best RPG, because it was the most played one. Rank by average and Rance VI is the #2, because it got a small but fierce fanbase.

Any fucking system will have distortions - by going for the easiest one all you're doing is being lazy.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Polls and voting are fun, people are shallow, but let's wait for somewhere like 2020 before doing another one of these. This just sounds like seeking for specific and convenient results while nothing of actual relevance has changed since the previous one.

Severian Silk

Maybe we should have a "general gaming" version of the poll? Or non-RPGs? Something different.

Aenra

Rank by points and Pillars of Eternity was the 2nd best RPG, because it was the most played one. Rank by average and Rance VI is the #2, because it got a small but fierce fanbase

Are we going to pretend there was a point in all this? Again ffs?
Because, can i say again.. again? I'd only have to ask you the same fucking question.. again:

If the vast majority of the voters voted 'x' same title as number 1 RPG, who are you to say it doesn't deserve that rank?

And before you give me the usual, NO.
If 'y' game only got the interest of 41 players, who gives a fuck what they thought. It couldn't even attract the remaining 3836253759 ones, ergo no way it could ever be number 1.
Now how is that not the simplest, and as such the most fair?

Also, who said you get to decide whether YOU rank by average, by game length, developer's gender or what the weather was like the day you were counting the votes? Gimme a break dude.

(i'd tell you what i think, but then you'd probably get offended tbh)

edit: i see Ziem beat me to it ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The fact that shite like the NWN2 original campaign is on the top 70 and yet Hordes of the Underdark (and a load of other games) isn't makes you realise just how shitty the average taste is round here and not only that, it shows that while all is lost in the wider world, it's still just as lost here where people are supposed to remember.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
TBH, I think the whole process needs to be much more strict than it is at the moment. I think that we should use a play-off system, for example:

"Here are all the RPGs made in 1986, now lets vote to narrow it down to 16 games worthy of mention. Once that is achieved, seed each game by expected ranking 1-16 then make a draw where 1-8 games play one-on-one against 9-16 games. As each round progresses games get eliminated until we're left with match-ups where it would be cruel or impossible to remove any titles. The remaining titles of legend then get passed to the greater competition of the top 100. Ideally, the top 100 hundred will already be decided by the point where people get to vote and people are just voting to put them in order."

Some years might generate up to 10 titles whereas others might only produce 1 or 2, but by this system all titles will be titles of genuine historical interest rather that games that happen to have a strong shill-base at the time of voting. Each successive year new titles that want to get added have to prove themselves worthy of removing an old title beyond popularist shillathoning, preferably by having a five year moratorium before games are allowed onto the list, so you'd effectively have two lists, one for legends and one for currently shilled games.

Aenra

Too complicated, too.. artificial.
RPGs of note? Based on whose opinion? Is he a retard, do you or i get to judge who's the retard? Are we gonna wait for a full million members to vote which RPGs per year are 'of note', or are we gonna do it the PCGamer way, have a couple of fuckheads decide that for us?
And how do you define what is of note? Length, quality, quantity, turn based, real time, iso, first person? Sci-fi or high fantasy? And if my definition ain't yours? We haven't even defined what an RPG is yet, lol

Careful what you suggest. Don't think too much, luke buritopepe, O.K. But don't avoid thinking altogether either :)

edit: As i said above, simple is best.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
This might surprise you, but there's a reason why I do all these "special algorithms".

Take the 2012-2016 list for example: Rank by points and Pillars of Eternity was the 2nd best RPG, because it was the most played one. Rank by average and Rance VI is the #2, because it got a small but fierce fanbase.

Any fucking system will have distortions - by going for the easiest one all you're doing is being lazy.

Hang up your polls and your cRPG book; you're not good at either.

Fairfax

Arcane
The last GOTY vote was heavily influenced by new users with only a handful/zero posts. There's also the AOD x UR feud, people voting for shits and giggles, and users with shitty taste like you (OP). Any new list would be considerably worse.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Too complicated, too.. artificial.
RPGs of note? Based on whose opinion? Is he a retard, do you or i get to judge who's the retard? Are we gonna wait for a full million members to vote which RPGs per year are 'of note', or are we gonna do it the PCGamer way, have a couple of fuckheads decide that for us?
And how do you define what is of note? Length, quality, quantity, turn based, real time, iso, first person? Sci-fi or high fantasy? And if my definition ain't yours? We haven't even defined what an RPG is yet, lol

Careful what you suggest. Don't think too much, luke buritopepe, O.K. But don't avoid thinking altogether either :)

edit: As i said above, simple is best.

The problem with simplicity is that you'll end up with console games and action games strewn about the list because they are the current 'fad' and have spent $50,000,000 on marketing budgets to make all the tards want to play them just so they can feel part of the conversation, a conversation that, in most cases, wasn't even worth having in the first place but, once started, attracts attention whores and insecure followers like flies to shit. We see this time and again with games like Dragon Age, Witcher and Elder Scrolls types of games, which is something that also brings out the hordes of graphics fags who'll salivate like drooling savages over the fineness of an NPC's hairline while not giving two shits about character stats. Five years is usually at least enough time to remove most of these fuckheads.

And there already is a system of governance to the list, it's why games like Diablo and King's Bounty aren't on there. Its why WoW and Everquest aren't on there. The list is already 'managed', I'm arguing that it's currently managed poorly.

Aenra

The last GOTY vote was heavily influenced by new users with only a handful/zero posts

Bogus argument. At best; you need either rethink what you just said, or get some fresh air. We usually leave the PC behind to do that. Can be daunting, out in the wild, but one acclimatizes eventually.
You do have a point about certain individuals shilling/voting for the lols, but nothing will stop that. People vote Presidents for the lols; deal with it.

IncendiaryDevice ... you are either incapable of reading comprehension or have a thing for strawmen. You cannot judge that, not by yourself, it's that fucking simple. That's why we put all RPGs in, how hard is that, even for a fanboy? We go right back to artificial that way :)

Fairfax

Arcane
The last GOTY vote was heavily influenced by new users with only a handful/zero posts

Bogus argument. At best; you need either rethink what you just said, or get some fresh air. We usually leave the Pc behind to do that. Can be daunting, out in the wild, but one acclimatizes eventually.
You do have a point about certain individuals shilling/voting for the lols, but nothing will stop that. People vote Presidents for the lols; deal with it.
Numbers back it up.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd just like to see what Codexers liked. Might be something I missed and it's interesting to see how many codexers like game x. Doesn't have to be ranked. Just let people put down any RPG's they really enjoyed and just make some kind of list like that. Being such a subjective topic, it's about the only mildly relevant metric we can have.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I'd just like to see what Codexers liked. Might be something I missed and it's interesting to see how many codexers like game x. Doesn't have to be ranked. Just let people put down any RPG's they really enjoyed and just make some kind of list like that. Being such a subjective topic, it's about the only mildly relevant metric we can have.

Imagine if Fluent took an autistic interest in contributing to such a list...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom