Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Academagia: The Making of Mages

laclongquan

Arcane
No. more is a pity.

Anyway. Even if we powergaming, and I did try, you get to develop about 1/2 of magical abilities. No more. Time constraints, class constraints..

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
This game is cool as hell...

I saw this thread and decided to give it spin (didnt really think I would like it and thought it looked like a kids game) and am pretty blown away. Its certainly NOT a kids game and has quite a bit of complexity.

So it looks like I am going to have to buy the full version now.

Thanks again KKKdex for showing me yet ANOTHER gem I had never heard of. I just finished my Grimoire Superdemo test run (fucking stellar game) and have been struggling through Avadon 2 (its...Okay...Something to play anyhow.) and now it looks like I have found something which will keep my interest for a very long time.

From my initial impressions (played all night last night) this is like a super complicated "game book" like 'lone wolf' or some 'Steve Jackson" shit from the 1980s- But far better and more fleshed out. This is like the evolution of the text game or some shit- I dont know, but I really, really like it.

=-Are there any more games out there like this? I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about what games are out but this one went right under my radar. Thanks again.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Are they still making ars magica game, or they gave up after failed Kickstarter?

oscar

Arcane
Anyone wanting a 40% off code for this give me a PM.

I'm slightly confused about how locations work? Does studying/training outside of my room let me pick up additional skills?

I also befriended the girl with the study tuition network but whenever I try to use that action it fails. Do I have to make a 'regular' study action in the same day as well?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
fucking game *almost* works in linux, after installing dotnet55 from latest winetricks on a 32bits prefix and some windows codecs. Unfortunately it crashes on some menu changes. It is also coded with feet, you ever wonder why the font size is microscopic? It's because the menus are influenced by text size since they don't actually reflow text or resize it, so choosing a higher DPI makes parts of the GUI go 'offside'. WTF, the game is full of text and you don't care about resizing?

Scheherazade 1931 works ok though! Since they're both more complex than Long Live the Queen (i think), it will probably be more interesting.

This is also supposed to be a series of 5 games of university mockery but i doubt they'll have the steam (ahah) to do it, not to mention that unless they use the same file formats to port things over it will be terribly ofputing to go back to the first ones.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Yeah funnily enough I'd played Long Live the Queen a few weeks before this. This is far more ambitious, complex and open-ended.

Is Scheherazade good?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm just at the start. It is stylish at least.

DarKPenguiN try king of the dragon pass (in iOS if you must, it has more events that are not in the pc version).

Also, try this if you haven't yet (and the other choice of games by authors which are not knobs)

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Great, my saves just disappeared.

Was I incorrect in assuming that the game (downloaded directly from their website) was going to be fully patched on download? I'll patch myself to be sure but annoying if not. Is the DLC automatically installed as well?

ED: Seems I had to manually patch. A little sloppy of them. I sincerely hope I don't have to manually download the fifteen free DLCs.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Great, my saves just disappeared.

Was I incorrect in assuming that the game (downloaded directly from their website) was going to be fully patched on download? I'll patch myself to be sure but annoying if not. Is the DLC automatically installed as well?

ED: Seems I had to manually patch. A little sloppy of them. I sincerely hope I don't have to manually download the fifteen free DLCs.

Oscar, if memory serves, I believe you only have to use the latest DLC, and it incorporates the additions from previous DLCs and patches.

Edit: Here's what it says on this particular DLC page from their website: http://academagia.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=2418

DLC 15 has been released, and can be found here:

Instructions: Copy all files and place into your Academagia install folder (same folder as Academagia.exe). For example: C:\Program Files\Academagia\Mods\Content.mdm (Please overwrite all files.) Begin a new game, checking 'Chaos and Regeneration', to use DLC 15.

N.B.: It is very important that you update your copy of Windows before using Patch 114/DLC 15. The memory streamlines require updated .NET components found in the update.
N.B.: This DLC and Patch was made using a new version of the Mod Tools. It is possible that there may be some unforeseen consequences of this change- please report any suspicious behavior.
smile.gif

Before you Install: DLC 15 does not require you to create a new game, but if you wish to have certain fixes, you will need to create a new one. This Patch is cumulative, and contains all previous Content Patches, Code Patches and DLC.

Each patch adds dozens of events, spells, phemes, adventures and so on, so it's definitely worth your while to update your vanilla version of the game. I believe DLC 15 is the last they did.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
which i can't find on the net :(

(no the dropbox link doesn't work)

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
I remember trying this and being immediately bored.

It doesn't help that you play as a little kid so you don't get to do any fun things with magic.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
I'm just at the start. It is stylish at least.

DarKPenguiN try king of the dragon pass (in iOS if you must, it has more events that are not in the pc version).

Also, try this if you haven't yet (and the other choice of games by authors which are not knobs)

Scheherazade turn out to be any good?

laclongquan

Arcane
Play the demo then abandon. less char, more quest/events. It's not gripping the way Academagia can do. I am not sure if playing the full game will change that impression.

I think not. It's just a bit too artsy for me.

Very good CYOA with plenty of choices, events, stats, spells, interactions, items and other shit to do. While thematically close to Harry Potter it has much lighter and homely feel to it, more in the vein of stuff that Jim Henson (Labyrinth and the like) used to do.

The only thing you should before going in is that you can resize and drag parts of UI the same way you do it in OS and you can increase font size by tapping + on the numpad.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
One of the few CYOA RPGs I couldn't get into. A complete sandbox, I had nothing to work towards and the choices all felt empty. That and you really needed to grind your stats to get anywhere. I don't understand the appeal of it.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So in this version of Harry Potter do you get to bang Hermione?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom