Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Unique/interesting RPG ideas you have

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I bet Molydeux would never be able to complete Ultima IV. Humility would be forever beyond his divine grasp.
Molyneux maybe. But Innovation is Molydeux's middle name.

"Imagine an Ultima IV where the Virtue of Humility was open to interpretation. Just like Islam."
molyneux.png

I think there should be more games where you are playing a non-human creature. An example could be a giant, a beholder, or a dragon.

Here are some examples. For simplicity's sake, imagine the world is D&D or something close to it.

- you are a beholder or some similar creature. You carve out a lair in a region new to you and pursue whatever goals motivate you (sandbox type game). You can work with vassals/allies/thralls. You can of course also make enemies based upon your choices. Maybe a dragon or other powerful being (good, neutral or evil) already considers this his territory and wants you out. Adventuring parties can come looking for you. Thieves can steal your treasure (send some thralls to hunt them down). Will you ally with any factions in the nearby city-state? That kind of thing.

- you are a stone giant. Evil giants are starting to encroach on your kinds' territory. The stone giants get together and decide to send an emissary, along with a couple companions, to parlay with the humans in that big city state over yonder.

- you are a thri-kreen. Humans are starting to encroach on your territory. You must deal with them in some manner.

I like games where the scale is not so epic (save the world!) and also where you don't start off fighting rats. I think this kind of thing (playing a monster or non-human) would be a refreshing change.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Cyberpunk: Torment
:philosoraptor:
August 12 2008 said:
"Players have the choice to replace body parts and organs with cybernetically enhanced components throughout the game, to more effectively counter the hostile threat - but this comes with the sacrifice of their humanity. The protagonist will slowly resemble nothing of his former self..."

Space_Siege.jpg

:deadtroll:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
A RPG that randomizes the roles of the main antagonist, rival party and potential companions to set amount of NPC's.
Every role permutation has a written story with some scripted interaction.
The rival party competes in objectives sort of like in Wizardry 7.
Also features Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

Jagged Alliance: World War 3 Paradox Edition

Christmas 2017 and everything turns to Shit - USA and China are crashing heads over Best Korea and the South China Sea, Turkey goes full genocide against the Kurds and invades some greek islands, the Anti-IS Coalition crumbles, little green Men appear in the Baltics and so on...
Lots of Opportunity for a private Mercenary Buisness - and on the long run the Opportunity to influence History.
Start with a few men with light weapons, get your own Aircraft Carrier after 10 years of Campaining, build Codexia over the radiated Ruins of Washington/Moscow/Berlin after 20 years :)
Reminds me somewhat of Twilight 2000

Iznaliu

Arbiter
What if Paradox and Obsidian switch roles; Obisidian makes grand strategy games, Paradox makes RPGs?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
A game like Mount and Blade but set in the Heroes of Might and Magic universe. Overworld map like M&B and you can go visit all of the areas you find like mines/towns/etc in first/third person.

Alkarl

Learned
I miss finding laz0rguns and stuff in fantasy rpgs, ala early Ultimas and Might & Magic. Maybe a Hickman-esque rpg where all the holy/magic artefacts are just pieces of advanced technology.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would like to see an RPG that focuses completely in party interaction and mechanics etc. Not meaning romances of course, but resource management to the last detail, wound tending, camping management, weather conditions and so on.
In D&D one of the cool parts of adventuring was all this hardship while travelling with 3-4 other adventurers and rarely do games capture that feeling.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I would like to see an RPG that focuses completely in party interaction and mechanics etc. Not meaning romances of course, but resource management to the last detail, wound tending, camping management, weather conditions and so on.
In D&D one of the cool parts of adventuring was all this hardship while travelling with 3-4 other adventurers and rarely do games capture that feeling.

Have you tried the Realms of Arkania games?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

Not really, do they have such mechanics?

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Not really, do they have such mechanics?

Yes. The first game in the trilogy reduced my gamer buddy to tears when his not quite prepared party died in the wilderness. I don't remember his words, but I still remember his face. I came close to hugging him that day...

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm gonna throw Swordflight into the mix here. As you guys know, I'm an Infinity Engine expert - far moreso than Octavius, who is a scrub (j/k) - and Swordflight almost reduced me to tears on occasion, due to being stuck deep down in a dungeon as a result of poor resource management.

I'll also throw in Jagged Alliance 2 on Expert, or 1.13.

They don't have weather conditions... maybe go play a survival game? STALKER OGSE might be up your alley. I've reviewed it here.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Jagged Alliance 2 I've played to death. Probably my favorite game ever, but I wouldn't call it an "RPG".
Also I'm not so focused on weather conditions, was one of the things I thought of.. Generally I always found it a bit annoying that camping/healing/repairing/surviving is usually just a button in most party-based CRPGs

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Jagged Alliance 2 I've played to death. Probably my favorite game ever, but I wouldn't call it an "RPG".

I would. I'm covering it now (see GOAT RPG link in sig). It just offers a lot more than mere cRPGs, as commonly understood by plebs.

Quillon

Arcane
RPGs without magic. Dungeons & NO DRAGONS. KCD, Western RPG, WW2 RPG, modern warfare RPG, Expeditions series, real world or realistic worlds without fantasy races etc. We'll see unique & interesting stuff once devs give fucking fantasy(&syfy to a lesser extend) a rest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom