Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

throwaway

Cipher
Besides, last time I played it, I was basically still a kid and I don't want to play it in the adult age, just so the charm stays as unbroken as the circle.
PST is one of the very few games that'd you'd appreciate even more as adult.
FYI I've more or less summarized this twitch stream in MCA thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...eciation-station.101693/page-138#post-5049235

This is silver Polish box copy of P:T: http://imgur.com/a/r2int (for sale for 360 PLN)
And this is the older version I think, with a T-shirt: http://imgur.com/a/Lf0PH (currently for sale for 600 PLN)
I never knew I needed a shirt with the Deionarra+Blade of the Immortal symbol on the sleeve until now.

Zer0wing

Cipher
So PS:T EE is actually announced for Android. Whatever you guys think, it's a good news since GemRB ways off from a decent port. If there's no new content ofc.

Deleted Member 16721

Awesome that it will be on Android. I love playing games like it on my tablet, especially the other EE's because the touch controls are great. The games feel like they were made for touchscreens, IMO. Android in general needs more games like this.

bataille

Arcane
The depressing thing about the enhanced edition is that all the talk will be of the technical aspect. Now-indifferent old farts will come by to express their fleeting content with ultra hd 4k massive screen 5.1 dolby audio, and the younger folk will just shrug and continue on their way. Like a reprint of a dear, obscure book that nobody cares about anymore. The old minimalist cover now depicts naked celebrities smoking pcp. It's made of human skin. Looks expensive and kitschy. And it's fake.
The pages of this book are blank, but nobody notices nor cares. Not a single soul's made it past the cover...
Nobody even bothers to call it Planet Escape: Tournament.
Hello, oblivion.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
29xgepc.jpg

r9lqvs.png

Honestly I think that we are overreacting about his EE. It's all about updating the game to the current times from the technical view. Yes, in our perspective is a cash-grab. But this edition it's not just for us, it's for the new players as well who never touched the original game. I really hope they didn't touch nothing about the game content. Also I'm disapointed that they didn't include the spanish language (It's hilarious because a fanmade and well-made traduction for the game exists for the original version since a long time ago). I'm actually interested in some new features (Though I'm not sure if they exist in form of mods for the original version). Not sure about paying 20 bucks for this, I think I will try a caribbean version first.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 1 of my "Let's Play in 4K" is up on my channel. Feel free to check it out. Lots of awkward wandering around and what not. Typical prime Fluent's World entertainment. :)

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

Well it was not a Deadfire stream but for someone who never played the game it looks pretty fun looking in a weird twist kind of way right but the sound was a little loud and hard to hear the bald guy and the slouching guy talking sometimes. It did not generate the excitement that Deadfire delivered for me but whatevs at least the game was showcased and so I learned something. The raffle I entered on gog for a free copy of PT:EE is over so just checking my e-mail maybe tomorrow or the next day to see if I got anything otherwise I will be waiting for a sale and continue playing my other game NWN. :cool:

Episode 1 of my "Let's Play in 4K" is up on my channel. Feel free to check it out. Lots of awkward wandering around and what not. Typical prime Fluent's World entertainment. :)

fluent going to head on over and watch this with the character creation and get a look at how different it is from the BG series but thanks for the heads up anyway. :salute:

Thanks,
Sherry

Deleted Member 16721

Cool, Sherry. Hope you enjoy or find something of interest. :)

The character creation is very basic, but you get opportunities to do different things throughout the game (learn different skills, change classes and so on.) Not really comparable to Baldur's Gate in any way other than using the D&D ruleset. Fun game, though. The world is very interesting and twisted, indeed. There are also some funny bits and some really gross things as well. The writing is good and it's very descriptive and just draws you further into the game. Digging it so far. :)

deuxhero

Arcane
I mentioned this in another thread
How about Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition with support for controllable henchmen, bodies that aren't horribly segmented messes and turn based combat? There's an EE I'd actually buy.

Thinking more about it, that's not too implausible a guess for Beamdog's "medium" size project is (NWN: EE, not necessarily with those specific features.). Adding stuff to a 3D engine (even one as primitive as NWN) is certainly more work than IE stuff, yet not nearly the size of a new game.

Hasn't Gaider being on the "big" project has just been our speculation? Wikipedia says he did work on NWN, so him being lead there would make sense. It would also explain why GOG gave the original version away for free.

Deleted Member 16721

I'd love a good NWN:EE. But I just think the original is fine gameplay-wise. Diversity in RPGs and all that. :P

PEACH

Arbiter
...Like a reprint of a dear, obscure book that nobody cares about anymore. The old minimalist cover now depicts naked celebrities smoking pcp. It's made of human skin. Looks expensive and kitschy. And it's fake.
The pages of this book are blank, but nobody notices nor cares. Not a single soul's made it past the cover...
Hello, oblivion.

You're no Bataille dude. Maybe change your name to Ellis or Palahniuk?

An EE of NWN doesn't even make sense. NWN supports any arbitrary resolution, the only way to "upgrade" it graphically is to remake all the art assets for effectively an entirely new game. UI-wise it's just fine. Compatibility-wise I think it works on all windows systems out of the box with no fiddling needed. You're also completely fucking up the millions of man-hours that went into producing a slew of custom content and custom modules. What would you make an EE for? To play the worthless OC again? lol

An EE of Arcanum or something similar makes way more sense (from Beamdog's perspective).

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Goral, the Dungeons and Dragons is collective-fiction, like the DC/Marvel universes. No one owns anything they contribute, other than WotC.
Even if it were true (you don't know what the agreements were, e.g. the source code probably belongs to programmers that wrote it) it doesn't disprove that they do not give credit where credit is due. That alone makes Beamdog a shitty and parasitic company that does what does because no one can do anything about it.
The Bethesda comparison is a false equivalency, Fallout was made in-house by Black Isle (Interplay) and then they sold the entire IP to Bethesda (Zenimax). Capich?
No it's not false, it's a perfect example actually. Planescape: Torment was also made in-house by Black Isle and besides Planescape setting and Infnity Engine everything in there was created entirely from scratch. Now compare it to Fallout: New Vegas developed by Obsidian. It uses gamebryo engine and Fallout 3 assets, it's based on an IP owned entirely by Bethesda and yet Obsidian is credited as the developer even though Bethesda would have more reason than Beamdog/WotC to not credit them. On the other hand Beamdog are only MODDERS, they've done almost no work at all, most of which you can download for free! If you can't discern modders from developers then what can I say?

In other words Bethesda didn't have problems crediting Black Isle for any Fallout game, Beamdog hacks just decided not to because they are parasitic party and they don't want to be associated with modding (which is the only thing they can do). It doesn't matter that Bethesda put no work, what does matter though is that they gave proper credit to the developer that made it.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
No it's not false, it's a perfect example actually. Planescape: Torment was also made in-house by Black Isle and besides Planescape setting and Infnity Engine everything in there was created entirely from scratch.
Not entirely. The setting was not theirs, that's the point...

Now compare it to Fallout: New Vegas developed by Obsidian. It uses gamebryo engine and Fallout 3 assets, it's based on an IP owned entirely by Bethesda and yet Obsidian is credited as the developer even though Bethesda would have more reason than Beamdog/WotC to not credit them.
Same situation. Obsidian was using a license for the Fallout setting, from Bethesda. Black Isle/Bioware used a license for Planescape/Forgotten Realms (D&D), from WotC (Same as Overhaul Games for BG:EE and Beamdog for Siege of Dragonspear) Which is why it's funny, no one thinks badly of Baldur's Gate because of Beamdog. When you make something for a behemoth like Marvel/DC/WotC, only your name is on the line if it sucks.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wish we could get another Planescape game with Chris Avellone as the lead.

I don't. It'll only end in tears when people expect another PS:T that they won't be getting.

Rather MCA should helm an original IP. Be the end result of that what it may, at least it'd put all preconceptions on a more sensible level.

bataille

Arcane
...Like a reprint of a dear, obscure book that nobody cares about anymore. The old minimalist cover now depicts naked celebrities smoking pcp. It's made of human skin. Looks expensive and kitschy. And it's fake.
Hello, oblivion.

You're no Bataille dude. Maybe change your name to Ellis or Palahniuk?

Your solar anus is clearly asleep, my friend. Maybe consider it your accursed share?
heh

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Awesome that it will be on Android. I love playing games like it on my tablet, especially the other EE's because the touch controls are great. The games feel like they were made for touchscreens, IMO. Android in general needs more games like this.
Good job, fluent, and congrats on earning your Fanboy tag :salute:. Keep it up and you'll earn Shitposter in no time :obviously:.
fluent's altshard. Something tells me real fluent has been mazed in retardoland by Codex conductors but his shilling abilities are too strong and he's able to cast alts shards throughtout the web. :shittydog:

Deleted Member 16721

An EE of NWN doesn't even make sense. NWN supports any arbitrary resolution, the only way to "upgrade" it graphically is to remake all the art assets for effectively an entirely new game. UI-wise it's just fine. Compatibility-wise I think it works on all windows systems out of the box with no fiddling needed. You're also completely fucking up the millions of man-hours that went into producing a slew of custom content and custom modules. What would you make an EE for? To play the worthless OC again? lol

An EE of Arcanum or something similar makes way more sense (from Beamdog's perspective).

UI-wise NWN is fine? Please show me which mod I need to scale the UI then, because I have to play at 800x600 in order to see the screen well. The scaling (or lack thereof) at basically anything higher than 1280x720 makes it impossible to play.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's not piracy, it's archiving and conservation. And more importantly, about denying Beamdog revenue.
You're not denying Beamdog anything. You're fucking over an honest distributer, GoG, and just convincing Wizards of the Coast that maybe they should create their own platform like U-Play or Origin - for any D&D licensed games in the future. Perhaps Planescape should sit in limbo for another two decades as well eh?

:decline:
GOG as a whole isn't screwed over by this, get real. As for WotC, let them create their own shitty platforms if they want to. GOG doesn't exist in a vacuum, they provide a requested, financially viable service. You know what I think shouldn't be a part of that service? PS:T:EE and Beamdog. You know what I do want to be a part of that service? PS:T. Do the math. It's not that fucking complicated.

UI-wise NWN is fine? Please show me which mod I need to scale the UI then, because I have to play at 800x600 in order to see the screen well. The scaling (or lack thereof) at basically anything higher than 1280x720 makes it impossible to play.
I'd tell you how to do it but it would probably be too much for you to handle, anyway, so why bother? You can't work out pressing three buttons to mod with a full installer, why would we think that you're capable of handling a point-by-point guide?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
GOG is probably more screwed by wasting disk space on keeping Numanuma there just for the Kickstarter backers lul

Deleted Member 16721

I'd tell you how to do it but it would probably be too much for you to handle, anyway, so why bother?

Then that's a great reason to make an EE. :) If it's too much for me to mess with, considering the lengths I've gone to make mods and games work, it's WAY too much for your average gamer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom