Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Goral is right. Even if Beamdog learned to cut back on SJW crap, charging for what amounts to a fixpack/UI mod while sneakily making it confusing about where credit is due for the game itself is fucking parasitic. They suck at creating, so instead they ride on others work while confusing who should be credited for it. Yeah this could be worse, but that doesn't make it not crap. I'm actually ok with stuff like Dragonspear since that's essentially a 3rd party expansion and I can avoid it if I wish.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's not about logo, it's about truth and giving proper credit to the right parties where credit is due.

The credit is for the people not for bankrupt faceless companies, and the creators are still in the credits of the game.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
Company names mean a lot. That's why there are people who think Bethesda did New Vegas and even the original Fallout games.
I take it you didn't buy the Bethesda Fallout Bundle on gog.com with Fallout 1+2 and Fallout Tactics when it was on sale a few weeks ago?

Companies or their intellectual property get bought. Game companies are not exempt from this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
It's not about logo, it's about truth and giving proper credit to the right parties where credit is due.

In the case of PS:T, no one remaining in the industry today, is more deserving of credit than MCA.

Black Isle can attributed to some of the greats, I know what you mean, but it's pointless in reality when they no longer exist - it makes more sense to credit specific people involved & still in the industry.

Except I don't care about that shitty company and the difference here is that Bioware employees are profiting from this greatly and they all agreed to it.

Bioware developed it BG1&2, no? Or were you only defending Baldur's Gate when you believed it was under the label of Black Isle? I'm glad to hear you say you don't care about Bioware, you shouldn't, because as I've been saying, the company name means fuck all when the right people are no longer there.

Former Black Isle workers don't have a luxury like that.

Former Black Isle employee Chris Avellone?

In that case, they could remove their logo from the game as well.

Yes. Just distribute everything under the label Anonymous.

mForX5Jdsl94IIThelhgcAg.jpg

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
This is a fairly random aside, but it strikes me as really weird that we wind up knowing so much about the writers and even the composer and voice actors behind PS:T and so little about the artists. The game's visuals are fantastic and there's no way the game would've made nearly the same impression without them, but I have literally no idea who did the concepts or the execution, and when I look it up on Mobygames, the name Tim Donley means nothing. It's kind of sad that the industry maintains such a blindspot.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Well, you said they were not important. Why the strawman now? Are they unimportant or not?

If they put their name there they could have as well left the Black Isle logo there too. Unless they are indeed not allowed to do that, which would be weird if indeed Bethesda kept it in the original Fallout games and just added their own.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I guess the remaster is pretty good if everyone is just complaining about credits not including a long dead dev team :^)

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Well, you said they were not important. Why the strawman now? Are they unimportant or not?

Legally important, you need to have label to distribute a product.

Product wise, only important to note the people involved. Bioware 2017 is not responsible for Baldur's Gate 1998 any more than Beamdog. All the good people at Bioware fled ages ago. It doesn't matter what company is on the box.

This is what "Bioware" makes now. Still think the name matters, or the people?

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I guess the remaster is pretty good if everyone is just complaining about credits not including a long dead dev team :^)
From what is said so far it should be good enough for what they are trying to accomplish, but it is not 20$ good enough.

Deleted Member 16721

True. For $20 it should also make you breakfast in the morning. The BBB and the Department of Treasury should look into this ASAP. +M

:)

Deleted Member 16721

lol
That's funny considering I am buying the game and any extra copies will be given away on my Steam group. :)

I really do want an advance copy, though. Waiting until April 11 is too much. :(

ArchAngel

Arcane
True. For $20 it should also make you breakfast in the morning. The BBB and the Department of Treasury should look into this ASAP. +M

:)
Compared to 10$ for PST, yea they should. I am not getting 2x the value of vanilla PST.

Dexter

Arcane
What did they "remaster"? They didn't do shit, as far as I can see there's just braindead people ITT discussing how magnifying the UI and incorporating a few fixes somehow entitles them to ask $20 for this and replace the logos or any mention of the original developers with their own.

Do you know of any "remaster" in the movie or TV world that does that? Just replace the original company logos and key people involved with their own? They don't do that shit even for studios that went defunct in the 40s:

I guess some feel they somehow deserve a friendly pat on the head and compliment for not deciding to screw with and fuck up the original content with retarded fanfiction like their last effort? Hooray!

Luckily they'll remove any other way of legally getting the game, so you can only buy their "Enhanced" version, like the Dungeons & Dragons Anthology that isn't available from GamersGate anymore: http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection or how they'll remove it soon from GoG where you could get it before and "Enhance" it for free: https://af.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide?as=1649904300 so everyone that wants to play Planescape starting April has to pay for the Enchanted "BEAMDOG" version.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I made sure to grab the Planescape: Torment on GOG before they remove it and "upgrade" it, which I'll probably be distributing illegally, since it'll be impossible to get legitimately without supporting Beamdog and the EE soon. I haven't gotten it before, because I knew it was on GOG and I've actually got my original CD:s somewhere, and the original box.

:negative:

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
For people asking what PST:EE offers over the original game + mods, see this section of the FAQ for more in-depth answers. As stated before, it mostly comes down to technical tweaks and quality of life improvements. These may be less important to tech savvy people, but there are others who do appreciate it. For me personally, the biggest improvement would be this:

Smooth Fog of War - In the original game, panning over an area covered by the Fog of War would produce an unpleasant flicker effect

The flickering fog of war effect made it very hard for me to replay BG1, PST and IWD2 ever since I got my first non-CRT monitor. Not sure if this bothers other people at all, but my eyes couldn't take the strain.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Which would be not a problem if the original would remain directly buy-able on GOG and not replaced by this exercise in pointlessness.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I made sure to grab the Planescape: Torment on GOG before they remove it and "upgrade" it, which I'll probably be distributing illegally, since it'll be impossible to get legitimately without supporting Beamdog and the EE soon. I haven't gotten it before, because I knew it was on GOG and I've actually got my original CD:s somewhere, and the original box.

:negative:

Good, maybe actually play the game you pretend to give a fuck about. Then you'll realise that the way they've approached this re-release, is the way anyone with a brain would want it done (using the original engine) - because it's a complete reversal to the way these guys have done every "Enhanced Edition" before this.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Hi.

gosh. Gosh! GOSH!

It is so much right is anyone else thinking that? :eek: :eek: It is $26.29 when I visit GOG okay and that is too much for me to pay to play I think but on Beamdog it is $19.99 so I do not know what is going on and did nothing to order and went on my way right?

But then I am playing some NWN modules because GOG had it for free right and I follow the NWN thread here and got suggestions about what to play after I finished the game and there is a raffle for 10 free PT:EE games at the NWN site just like there was one for Numenera.

So all I had to do was give my GOG e-mail and a name to enter the raffle then I got +1 raffle entries for visiting the site each day during the time the raffle is on so maybe I can get a free copy. :salute:

Anyone else interested just has to go to the NWN site and there is a big banner with a link to enter the raffle that is what I did and tomorrow I will do it again to get another entry into the raffle and my fingers are crossed.

Thanks,
Sherry
what the fuck is going on in this post?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom