Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hellion

Arcane
The improvements to the stealth mechanisms he's talking about should be interesting.

Ivan

Arcane
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Josh is 41

answered my bit if Relationship Quests were gated by "maximizing affinity," said that they unlock naturally through the campaign

Quillon

Arcane
Josh also confirmed that Priest of Eothas can "ally" with Eothas. PC's objective isn't "Kill Eothas" but "Find Eothas".

All the parallels between Deadfire and New Vegas suggests Eothas is Benny so I guess its "Find and do whatever to Eothas", it won't be the end of the game.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

gosh. Gosh! GOSH!

I am so sorry for not being there during the Twitch today. :( Honestly it slipped my mind but I gather it is because it had to do with some artist answering questions and that put me off because I still do not know why Josh just does not do these streams from his home since he is the one answering most of the questions anyways right? So probably not much was learned from an art major right? It is like the real world, gets you no where. Maybe the next one will be more informative without the need of colour by numbers painting.

For anyone wondering I went out with some friends tonight. They are the ones I helped move a few weeks back where the elevator was not properly booked for us it is in a previous post I made if you want to be in the know. Anyways things are good now and they have settled in and even got their names on the buzzer panel so I do not have to wait in front of the laundry mart across the road so they can see me from the balcony and let me in. Now I can just buzz up.

If they decide to give him conclusion in PoE2, I can't help but be afraid with the sub-par quality of writing he'll most certainly have compared to PoE1.
If they don't plan on doing it, I'd just hope for them to just say the suicide ending is canonical.

gosh who cares right? I am reading in the Numenera thread of so many calling it a lore dump because that is all Durance was in Pillars was one giant book with page upon page upon page of buhbuh! Goodbye burn baby burn and do not come back. Holy moly talk about a character that just wouldn't shut up already right? He was clearly put in the wrong game I agree and will be glad not to see him return in Deadfire.

Thanks,
Sherry

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Randal is getting more and more dark with each post. I watched a bit of the stream, but no interesting questions were asked while I was doing it. Someone asked about the health/endurance system and surprise, surprise, it's still gone. I'm up for only priests of Eothas being able to ally with him.

Sizzle

Arcane
I'm up for only priests of Eothas being able to ally with him.

I think they should get some special options when dealing with Eothas, sure, but I don't think they alone should have the option to side with him.

And it probably won't turn out like that, I can't see Sawyer tying such a major end-game choice to class. That would be like if you could only join Caesar's Legion in F:NV if you were male and had negative karma.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Randal is getting more and more dark with each post. I watched a bit of the stream, but no interesting questions were asked while I was doing it. Someone asked about the health/endurance system and surprise, surprise, it's still gone. I'm up for only priests of Eothas being able to ally with him.
As someone that really hated the lack of reactivity for Priests of Eothas in the first game (seriously, they have quite a bit less reactivity than most other classes already, and some places were really jarring; unique options would've been good, even if it changed nothing) I had to hold myself back from going all "About fucking time!" and started arguing for it being exclusive to Priests of Eothas.

However, consider this. Edér. He's (potentially) a devout Eothasian, but he's not a Priest. It's entirely possible to be a pious, devout Eothasian that happens to be of any class. It's a mistake to think that only Priests are religiously devoted, whether it's to a concept or to a literal God. This is a kind of thinking that is rather ingrained in class systems that feature normally religious archetypes like Priest, Cleric, or Paladin. But it's a total narrative trap. I think part of what made Edér unique even though he's not actually unique at all beyond being a regular fucking human being, was the fact that he was religiously devout without being a Paladin and without being a crazy zealot.
I'm up for only priests of Eothas being able to ally with him.

I think they should get some special options when dealing with Eothas, sure, but I don't think they alone should have the option to side with him.

And it probably won't turn out like that, I can't see Sawyer tying such a major end-game choice to class. That would be like if you could only join Caesar's Legion in F:NV if you were male and had negative karma.
I'd actually be totally fine if you only could join the legion as a man. I posit that the analogy is false, because there can be aspects of the world based on who you are as a person that will (or at the very least should) disqualify you from certain options, whether that's because you're not strong enough, whether you haven't earned a reputation, or because you happen to be of the weaker gender and the fairer sex.

Class, however, is almost universally an abstraction for mechanical purposes, even if it is often tied into a narrative (and I don't mind that at all). In this case, it would be very odd if it was restricted to Priests alone, because classes in PoE aren't really representative of your character. I could see problems for Cyphers and Barbarians, maybe, on account of them being soul-fuckers and unhinged, respectively, and possibly for Priests of other given faiths (lolMagran) or Paladins that are assumed to be part of a given group Eothas would likely find objectionable (Bleak Walkers = Blackguards).

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not advocating for only priests of Eothas being able to do it, I'm just saying that I'm not opposed to that idea. Nonetheless, they should at least have unique flavor text/dialogue.

Quillon

Arcane
I'm opposed to that idea, tho they could do it in side quests, even then there should be similar situations for all classes if it can be helped. Maybe if you're a PoE, you could get more insight about the answers PC should be seeking at that point, I wouldn't mind being less informed about something depending on my class choice but limiting how I'd progress through the main story just cos of my class is a deal breaker. Even a fake god should judge my actions, not my class. But also I wouldn't mind if Eothas should judge Bleak Walkers, that is if the PC has been a true bleak walker through his/her choices/dispositions to that point.

Btw. Fig dudes added slacker counter just below the normal progress bar, POST-CAMPAIGN TOTAL: $4,480,603 /not including Obs' backer portal numbers obviously.

Last edited:

fobia

They were talking about post-campaign DLCs on one of the livestreams, but whether that was their plan or just a plea from the community, I don't know.

And don't forget, every pledge takes away some of the shame... THE SHAME!

Andnjord

Arcane
So, for someone who hasn't played PoE yet and is feeling mildly excited about this campaign, is it worth getting the discounted version on GoG.com?

Andnjord

Arcane
So, for someone who hasn't played PoE yet and is feeling mildly excited about this campaign, is it worth getting the discounted version on GoG.com?

If you enjoy RTwP combat but you're not a 100% IE grog.
Thanks, that would seem to be up my alley. What about the expansion, the White March? Good encounters, good story?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Yes, if you enjoyed games such as BG2. And even if you didn't, it's probably worth buying it so you can comment on it and share in the drama.

The WM expansion has better music and some really nice hard encounters and cool items.

Prime Junta

Thanks, that would seem to be up my alley. What about the expansion, the White March? Good encounters, good story?

Very good encounters, the best ones in WM are on par with BG2 IMO, and a cut above what's in the base game. The story is okay for what it is, but def. more Icewind Dale than Planescape: Torment.

Only problem with it is, it throws the main campaign completely out of whack; if you go in early you'll be stupidly overpowered after you've finished it. If you do it last thing, you'll only be stupidly overpowered for the endgame, so that is an option.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The only dlc that makes sense in an rpg is to expand the story post ending. Mid game dlc like the white march is ridiculous, both in terms of gameplay and commercialy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom